shape
carat
color
clarity

Amazon Prime shows and other movies/series worth watching!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
The first few epis of The Handmaid's Tale are now up on Hulu! I'm excited to watch it (haven't yet) - just wanted to remind anyone who may have been interested to see this. I'm planning to start it shortly :)

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Katharath I just came on to post about Handmaid's Tale. Holy crap! I can't stop!!!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Katharath I just came on to post about Handmaid's Tale. Holy crap! I can't stop!!!
I know!! For me, it's intense and hard to look away. I think the cast/acting are very good. I haven't read the book in many years, but so far it seems close to what I recall.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know!! For me, it's intense and hard to look away. I think the cast/acting are very good. I haven't read the book in many years, but so far it seems close to what I recall.

I never read the book so I don't know the background. The acting is insanely good. I wish they would release all the episodes at once.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last night I tried to watch Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, but after 44 minutes of Ewan McGregor's incessant whining and piss poor attitude, I turned it off and switched to The Dressmaker. 10/10 will watch again! I laughed, I cried. It's Kate Winslet, set in Australia in 1951. If you love wardrobe/costuming/design and a real hard, dark, comedic look at humanity at its worst (oh, and Liam Hemsworth!) you will love it. By far one of the most entertaining movies I've seen in a very long time, with strong female protagonists being the icing on the cake.

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Last night I tried to watch Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, but after 44 minutes of Ewan McGregor's incessant whining and piss poor attitude, I turned it off and switched to The Dressmaker. 10/10 will watch again! I laughed, I cried. It's Kate Winslet, set in Australia in 1951. If you love wardrobe/costuming/design and a real hard, dark, comedic look at humanity at its worst (oh, and Liam Hemsworth!) you will love it. By far one of the most entertaining movies I've seen in a very long time, with strong female protagonists being the icing on the cake.

Oooooh, The Dressmaker sounds like my kind of movie. Adding now!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Fall
Stranger Things
Man in the high castle (dh is more into it than I am)
The Crown

We just started Bloodline, but these people are such unlikable aholes
That I think they deserve all the bad things coming to them :lol:

E B

Ideal_Rock

I may have just muted it and watched Ewan. :love:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I may have just muted it and watched Ewan. :love:

If you could get past the first 45 minutes of sullen, woebegone expressions, perhaps there was some redemption...but I could not. I've enjoyed him in other movies, and I really like Emily Blunt and (the other actress who was in Love Actually and The Horse Whisperer and a slew of other great movies but I can't remember her name just now). I understood what I was getting into having watched the trailer, but I just needed something a little more uplifting last night! :lol:

Reactions: E B

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you could get past the first 45 minutes of sullen, woebegone expressions, perhaps there was some redemption...but I could not. I've enjoyed him in other movies, and I really like Emily Blunt and (the other actress who was in Love Actually and The Horse Whisperer and a slew of other great movies but I can't remember her name just now). I understood what I was getting into having watched the trailer, but I just needed something a little more uplifting last night! :lol:

You're thinking of Kristin Scott Thomas, maybe? I enjoyed Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, and it does have kind of a happy ending but I'm not sure what I expected when I picked it so wasn't disappointed. And it often depends on what mood we're in, doesn't it? Plus, everybody has their own likes and dislikes. I've tried a couple of recommendations here and couldn't make it through. And I've recommended or given books to people that I'm positive they will enjoy, and it turns out they hated them!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Watched The Lobster on Amazon (it's a movie). It was very entertaining during the first half; slowed down a bit though and while I did really like it overall, DH didn't, lol. It's a commentary on "coupledom" and following society's rules, etc - it was funny in many parts but may be too out there for some (and it does show violence to animals which I know some may not want to see. There are two specific scenes I'm thinking of plus hunting scenes, etc - and while I'm on the topic, it shows violence to humans as well).

I did enjoy it but it won't appeal to everyone.

I'm watching the new Twin Peaks on showtime via Amazon and really enjoying that a lot, but it is darker than ever imo and also far more fantastical. Pretty much your basic David Lynch :)

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Watched The Lobster on Amazon (it's a movie). It was very entertaining during the first half; slowed down a bit though and while I did really like it overall, DH didn't, lol. It's a commentary on "coupledom" and following society's rules, etc - it was funny in many parts but may be too out there for some (and it does show violence to animals which I know some may not want to see. There are two specific scenes I'm thinking of plus hunting scenes, etc - and while I'm on the topic, it shows violence to humans as well).

I posted about this one in the Netflix thread. It was nominated for an Oscar for best original screenplay I believe! I thought it was interesting, and certainly a unique idea, which is rare these days (imo).

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock

I'm watching the new Twin Peaks on showtime via Amazon and really enjoying that a lot, but it is darker than ever imo and also far more fantastical. Pretty much your basic David Lynch :)

I'm also watching season 3 of Twin Peaks! I wonder if I should start a thread on it... Wondering how many others also watch.. if it would be worth it? I love the show but there have been scenes that I had to cover my eyes- too intense!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I posted about this one in the Netflix thread. It was nominated for an Oscar for best original screenplay I believe! I thought it was interesting, and certainly a unique idea, which is rare these days (imo).

Yes it was different, and I do generally love different!

(I obviously must have missed your Netflix post, I'm sorry :oops2:)

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I'm also watching season 3 of Twin Peaks! I wonder if I should start a thread on it... Wondering how many others also watch.. if it would be worth it? I love the show but there have been scenes that I had to cover my eyes- too intense!

Oh I was thinking the same thing about starting a thread. If you want to start to go for it, I'll post in there :)

Curby311

Rough_Rock
So I'm a bit of a newbie but I do have a few shows to add to your list They are all on amazon prime. I will start with saying that I have the attention span of a gnat so I don't do well with tv/movies that don't have a great plot/characters.

1) Orphan Black- It is about an a woman who is an oprhan that grew up in foster care and witnesses a woman who looks just like her. The whole series is about her figuring out the identity of the woman and her unknown background. The main actress is a phenomenal. actress and finally won a much deserved emmy for this. All 4 seasons are on amazon prime. I have only seen through season 3 but what I watched was good.

2)Night Manager- This is about a night manager of a hotel who helps to spy on a suspected arms dealer. It has Hugh Laurie (the guy from HOUSE) and Tom Hiddleston (the guy who played Loki from the Thor and Avengers movies. The plot and acting is pretty good. There is only one season so far but it is on amazon prime.

3) Mr. Robot-This is about a guy that works at a computer security company during the day and is a hacker at night. I can say that the plot takes a different turn then what you would expect so just watch through to the end it is so worth it. The tech part of the show is the only accurate depiction I have seen on tv. There are two seasons of this. Only the first season is on prime but the second season is out and available to buy on amazon. This also reminds me of a movie but if I tell you which one it may be a major spoiler.

4) Sneaky Pete- This is about a conman that gets out of prison and goes to his cell mate's estranged family and pretends to be him. The whole thing is about him trying to convince the family that he is their grandson, cousin. It gets complicated by someone that he stole a lot of money from trying to track him down for the money. The end was unexpected and reminded me a bit of Ocean's eleven. There is only one season and it is one of amazon's own series.

5)The Newsroom- This is an HBO show that is now on amazon prime. It is about ....shockingly: A newsroom. I watched this when it was on HBO so it was about 9 months outside of real news events and the episodes are based on things that did happen. It's an Aaron Sorkin show so it has good character development. He wrote West Wing and Sports night (which is very good but sadly not on prime).

All of these shows with the exception of The Newsroom have twists. Luckily they aren't cliffhangers. I am not a big fan of shows that end seasons that way.

I still need to watch "Z" since I have only seen the pilot. For those that have read (or seen the movie) Great Gatsby may notice some similarities between Zelda and the character Daisy since F. Scott Fitzgerald based Daisy off of her.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
So I'm a bit of a newbie but I do have a few shows to add to your list They are all on amazon prime. I will start with saying that I have the attention span of a gnat so I don't do well with tv/movies that don't have a great plot/characters.

1) Orphan Black- It is about an a woman who is an oprhan that grew up in foster care and witnesses a woman who looks just like her. The whole series is about her figuring out the identity of the woman and her unknown background. The main actress is a phenomenal. actress and finally won a much deserved emmy for this. All 4 seasons are on amazon prime. I have only seen through season 3 but what I watched was good.

2)Night Manager- This is about a night manager of a hotel who helps to spy on a suspected arms dealer. It has Hugh Laurie (the guy from HOUSE) and Tom Hiddleston (the guy who played Loki from the Thor and Avengers movies. The plot and acting is pretty good. There is only one season so far but it is on amazon prime.

3) Mr. Robot-This is about a guy that works at a computer security company during the day and is a hacker at night. I can say that the plot takes a different turn then what you would expect so just watch through to the end it is so worth it. The tech part of the show is the only accurate depiction I have seen on tv. There are two seasons of this. Only the first season is on prime but the second season is out and available to buy on amazon. This also reminds me of a movie but if I tell you which one it may be a major spoiler.

4) Sneaky Pete- This is about a conman that gets out of prison and goes to his cell mate's estranged family and pretends to be him. The whole thing is about him trying to convince the family that he is their grandson, cousin. It gets complicated by someone that he stole a lot of money from trying to track him down for the money. The end was unexpected and reminded me a bit of Ocean's eleven. There is only one season and it is one of amazon's own series.

5)The Newsroom- This is an HBO show that is now on amazon prime. It is about ....shockingly: A newsroom. I watched this when it was on HBO so it was about 9 months outside of real news events and the episodes are based on things that did happen. It's an Aaron Sorkin show so it has good character development. He wrote West Wing and Sports night (which is very good but sadly not on prime).

All of these shows with the exception of The Newsroom have twists. Luckily they aren't cliffhangers. I am not a big fan of shows that end seasons that way.

I still need to watch "Z" since I have only seen the pilot. For those that have read (or seen the movie) Great Gatsby may notice some similarities between Zelda and the character Daisy since F. Scott Fitzgerald based Daisy off of her.

I love Orphan Black and also loved The Night Manager. Started Mr Robot but never finished season one, and though I've tried, I'm just not a big Aaron Sorkin fan - but I think these are all great shows to recommend!

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
I enjoyed The Durrells in Corfu. It aired on PBS some months ago.
Based on naturalist Gerald Durrell's much-loved trilogy of novels, The Durrells in Corfu sees impoverished but sparky widow Louisa Durrell (Keeley Hawes) make the radical decision to leave 1930s England to seek out a new destiny for her family.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am OBSESSED with "The Americans". It is about Russian spies that infiltrated the US during the 80s. Fabulous period drama that speaks volumes about marriage. The first 4 seasons are on amazon prime and it is binge worthy!!! The acting is incredible and I am on the edge of my seat and totally invested in these characters. Season 5 (FX) just finished and it was quite different than the first 4 seasons but still so good!

SMC

Ideal_Rock
I just watched the first season of "Catastrophe" based on recommendations from this thread. It is hilarious! I watch the bulk of my TV on the treadmill, and I laughed so hard during the first episode that I almost fell off.

"I Am Not Your Negro" is also available on Amazon Prime. I recommend watching that too. Another viewpoint based on how far we've come on racial relations yet how little has changed too.

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
I just watched the first season of "Catastrophe" based on recommendations from this thread. It is hilarious! I watch the bulk of my TV on the treadmill, and I laughed so hard during the first episode that I almost fell off.

"I Am Not Your Negro" is also available on Amazon Prime. I recommend watching that too. Another viewpoint based on how far we've come on racial relations yet how little has changed too.
I also liked season 1 of "Catasrophe" the other seasons weren't as good IMO. But still, worth watching!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We've just started Season 5 of The Americans, we love it!

Recently watched The Crown which we really enjoyed, and season 5 of House of Cards.

I can thoroughly recommend Mr Selfridge, especially as he's a 'real life' character, and the fashions and costumes are just lovely.

We have satellite TV here in the U.K., so get lots of US shows. We really enjoyed The Catch, I love The Strain, although DH doesn't :lol:

I don't know if it's available in the US but we have a lovely series here, Call The Midwife. Based on the novels of Jennifer Worth, who was a midwife based at a convent in the East End of 1950's London. Great characters and heart wrenching storylines.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
If you like The Americans, try Patriot (Amazon). It's a bit quirky and sometimes slightly hard to figure out exactly what's going on, but very enjoyable and clever.

We've also watched two episodes of a French series called Call My Agent on Netflix - sort of a dark comedy, which we're enjoying a lot.

I agree about Catastrophe - first season is definitely the best, but I did enjoy season 3 more than season 2, which I didn't like at all.

Still loving Silicon Valley.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We started watching Game of Thrones this past week and OMG I LOVE it. I thought I wouldn't be able to tolerate the violence especially towards animals but I shield my eyes from it as best I can and so far it is worth the effort. We have already binged watched all of season 1 in just a few nights and thick into season 2 as of last night. The show is so well done and so entertaining and captivating I urge all of you who have not yet checked it out to see what it is about. Really a wonderful series up to this point at least. I am looking forward to enjoying all 7 seasons.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love crime shows. Love Bosch on Amazon prime. Based on and created by Michael Connelly novels. Worthy of binge watching.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just watched "The Florida Project" last night. Loved it. Moving drama about a single mom and her daughter that takes place over the summer just outside of Disney world. Showing the reality of how the people around there live. Sad, moving and very powerful. I recommend watching it. Starts slow but then becomes riveting.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh dang. @missy I didn't realize that there was a difference between the Primes. I can't get The Florida Project on mine. I was going to add it to my list. To be honest, I'm finding it hard to find good programming, but I guess the real reason is because Canada Prime doesn't get all the show!sad :((

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loved orphan black as well!

I also enjoyed under the dome. I'm watching eureka now And I'm getting close to the end. I love my sci fi clearly lolol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results