shape
carat
color
clarity

Amazon Prime shows and other movies/series worth watching!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So in the Hidden Netflix thread other shows and series and movies have come up that are not on Netflix that PSers have enjoyed and I thought let's see if there is a need for this thread. Goodness knows we can use a diversion from what is happening in the world right now and perhaps in these recommendations we can find some entertainment and a break from real life.

My recommendations right now.

Amazon Prime.

1.LOVED LOVED LOVED Fleabag. Smart, sassy and heartbreakingly sad. A must see IMO. :appl: It's short. Only 6 1/2 hour episodes but hoping it comes back next season. From the BBC (I think).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5687612/

2. We just watched The Lobster last night. A bit difficult at times to watch but I kept telling myself no animals were harmed in the making of this movie. And I just didn't watch certain scenes. Overall a very good movie. A scathing commentary on life in a dystopian (are we there yet maybe!) future.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3464902/

3. Transparent

4. Saw this in the movies but it's on Amazon now. Highly recommend.
No Country for Old Men

5.. Man in the High Castle Just started watching this series.

6. Mozart in the Jungle. LOVE. But stopped watching last year for some reason. Plan on going back and catching up.

7. In the Hidden Netflix thread other PSers recommended Catastrophe. I haven't get watched but will check out and it was highly recommended by a couple of PSers.

8. Lastly we started watching Red Oaks and it is growing on me. Cute coming of age story in the 80s. I like the actors very much. Especially Paul Reiser and Richard Kind.

Happy Amazoning and Netflixing!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Amazon Prime shows and other movies/series worth watchin

missy|1487513001|4130690 said:
So in the Hidden Netflix thread other shows and series and movies have come up that are not on Netflix that PSers have enjoyed and I thought let's see if there is a need for this thread. Goodness knows we can use a diversion from what is happening in the world right now and perhaps in these recommendations we can find some entertainment and a break from real life.

Amazon Prime.

1.LOVED LOVED LOVED Fleabag. Smart, sassy and heartbreakingly sad. A must see IMO. :appl: It's short. Only 6 1/2 hour episodes but hoping it comes back next season. From the BBC (I think).

2. We just watched The Lobster last night. A bit difficult at times to watch but I kept telling myself no animals were harmed in the making of this movie. And I just didn't watch certain scenes. Overall a very good movie. A scathing commentary on life in a dystopian (are we there yet maybe!) future.

3. Transparent

No Country for Old Men

6. Mozart in the Jungle. LOVE. But stopped watching last year for some reason. Plan on going back and catching up.

7. In the Hidden Netflix thread other PSers recommended Catastrophe. I haven't get watched but will check out and it was highly recommended by a couple of PSers.

8. Lastly we started watching Red Oaks and it is growing on me. Cute coming of age story in the 80s. I like the actors very much. Especially Paul Reiser and Richard Kind.

HI Missy! :wavey: thanks for this!! we dropped Netflix and started Amazon prime, so I've been trying to find something I like, I"m going to try these you mentioned, thanks!

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock

missy|1487513001|4130690 said:

Amazon Prime.

3. Transparent

No Country for Old Men

Fleabag sounds right up my ally - thanks!

I recently watched and enjoyed Goliath and Good Girls Club.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I had posted in the other thread about the PBS series Poldark.

I recently found and am hooked on the PBS Masterpiece series Poldark on Amazon Prime. I am a huge fan of good period series and movies. There are only two seasons that I can see available and I will start season 2 today. Might have to check my Directv to DVR it on PBS.

Info-
Ross Poldark returns home after American Revolutionary War and rebuilds his life with a new business venture, making new enemies and finding a new love where he least expects it.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/shows/poldark/

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My husband is a big fan of Man in the High Castle, but it's not for me. Will check out the others you mentioned, Missy!

I am watching all seasons of Downton Abbey now and love it! Another I may watch is Dr. Thorne which is by the creator of Downton Abbey. I have Poldark on my watchlist, redwood! I'll probably go over to Netflix and watch The Crown after DA is over, though.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Missy,
Thank you for the Fleabag recommendation. I watched all 6 episodes this afternoon. Excellent.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1487548717|4130915 said:
My husband is a big fan of Man in the High Castle, but it's not for me. Will check out the others you mentioned, Missy!

I am watching all seasons of Downton Abbey now and love it! Another I may watch is Dr. Thorne which is by the creator of Downton Abbey. I have Poldark on my watchlist, redwood! I'll probably go over to Netflix and watch The Crown after DA is over, though.

I own all the seasons of Downton Abbey! Love it and my macho DH loves it too! Its hilarious to see him laugh at Carson and Mrs. Hughes. We usually watch all the seasons in the winter when the weather is nasty.

I love Poldark and Amazon wants me to pay for the second season so I bought it on blu-ray from them instead of paying for streaming.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Matata|1487553708|4130942 said:
Missy,
Thank you for the Fleabag recommendation. I watched all 6 episodes this afternoon. Excellent.

I am so glad you enjoyed it Matata. Thank you for letting me know. I hope they bring it back for more seasons. It has been a long time since I enjoyed anything on TV that much.

diamondseeker2006 said:

DS, I am watching all seasons of Downton Abbey now and love it! Another I may watch is Dr. Thorne which is by the creator of Downton Abbey. I have Poldark on my watchlist, redwood! I'll probably go over to Netflix and watch The Crown after DA is over, though.

Downtown Abbey is one of my favorite shows. LOVE it. Glad you are enjoying it. I might just rewatch it in another few months. It was that good. We plan on watching The Crown as well. Looking forward to that show as well.

Girlyglam thanks for your recs. Which Good Girls Club is it? There were many choices for that I think and for some reason I can't figure that out. Thanks.

Also want to add add a recommendation of a show we watched months ago called Good Girls Revolt. It was entertaining but not as good as Fleabag. Just want you to adjust expectations if any of you decide to check it out.

Kate, thanks and I hope you find some entertaining Amazon shows to watch! My dh and I were thinking of joining Hulu too but yanno there is only so many hours in the day we want to watch tv shows/movies but Hulu does seem like another good option if the others don't satisfy. Though I don't like their pricing difference of no commercials vs commercials. Really? No thanks. Netflix (and Amazon I think...) always has no commercials and that is how I like it.

Redwood, thank you for your Poldark rec. We just started it last night and so far so good.

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock

missy|1487598758|4131074 said:
Matata|1487553708|4130942 said:
Missy,

I am so glad you enjoyed it Matata. Thank you for letting me know. I hope they bring it back for more seasons. It has been a long time since I enjoyed anything on TV that much.

diamondseeker2006 said:

DS, I am watching all seasons of Downton Abbey now and love it! Another I may watch is Dr. Thorne which is by the creator of Downton Abbey. I have Poldark on my watchlist, redwood! I'll probably go over to Netflix and watch The Crown after DA is over, though.

Downtown Abbey is one of my favorite shows. LOVE it. Glad you are enjoying it. I might just rewatch it in another few months. It was that good. We plan on watching The Crown as well. Looking forward to that show as well.

Girlyglam thanks for your recs. Which Good Girls Club is it? There were many choices for that I think and for some reason I can't figure that out. Thanks.

Also want to add add a recommendation of a show we watched months ago called Good Girls Revolt. It was entertaining but not as good as Fleabag. Just want you to adjust expectations if any of you decide to check it out.

Kate, thanks and I hope you find some entertaining Amazon shows to watch! My dh and I were thinking of joining Hulu too but yanno there is only so many hours in the day we want to watch tv shows/movies but Hulu does seem like another good option if the others don't satisfy. Though I don't like their pricing difference of no commercials vs commercials. Really? No thanks. Netflix (and Amazon I think...) always has no commercials and that is how I like it.

Redwood, thank you for your Poldark rec. We just started it last night and so far so good.

Missy - Apologies - I actually meant Good Girls Revolt, not Good Girls Club! :wall:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Missy I am glad you are liking it.

We have been on a binge the last couple days on Amazon Prime so I have a movie to recommend.

Mr. Church with Eddie Murphy.

"Mr. Church" tells the story of a unique friendship that develops when a little girl and her dying mother retain the services of a talented cook - Henry Joseph Church. What begins as a six month arrangement instead spans into fifteen years and creates a family bond that lasts forever.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4196848/

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

girlyglam, thanks for clearing that up lol. I was like hmmm none of these seem like something any PSer would like haha and I just couldn't figure it out. :lol: I enjoyed Good Girls Revolt. Did you read the book?

Thanks for the additional rec redwood.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Braindead. It's HILARIOUS. Why is politics so polarized? Maybe it's because... alien bugs are eating our brains and controlling our actions! It has Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Aaron Tveit, Tony Shaloub, the grumpy old lawyer from The Good Wife, and more people you may recognize. And it's just one short season that wraps up at the end so you don't need to commit yourself to years of trying to watch all the episodes!

https://www.amazon.com/Insanity-Principle-Extremism-Threatening-Democracy/dp/B01H0KBH18/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487633163&sr=8-1&keywords=braindead

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

distracts|1487633434|4131407 said:
Braindead. It's HILARIOUS. Why is politics so polarized? Maybe it's because... alien bugs are eating our brains and controlling our actions! It has Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Aaron Tveit, Tony Shaloub, the grumpy old lawyer from The Good Wife, and more people you may recognize. And it's just one short season that wraps up at the end so you don't need to commit yourself to years of trying to watch all the episodes!

https://www.amazon.com/Insanity-Principle-Extremism-Threatening-Democracy/dp/B01H0KBH18/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487633163&sr=8-1&keywords=braindead

distracts, thank you for this rec! We just watched the first episode and we are enjoying it! And I love the actors!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy|1487641333|4131490 said:
distracts|1487633434|4131407 said:

distracts, thank you for this rec! We just watched the first episode and we are enjoying it! And I love the actors!

:D I'm glad you're liking it! It gets wackier as it goes on which I absolutely love because there's nothing like a wacky scifi show. There's a really wacky part with Michael Moore - you'll know it when it happens.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

redwood66|1487611994|4131175 said:
Missy I am glad you are liking it.

We have been on a binge the last couple days on Amazon Prime so I have a movie to recommend.

Mr. Church with Eddie Murphy.

"Mr. Church" tells the story of a unique friendship that develops when a little girl and her dying mother retain the services of a talented cook - Henry Joseph Church. What begins as a six month arrangement instead spans into fifteen years and creates a family bond that lasts forever.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4196848/

My husband has watched all of DA with me, too, redwood! It's nice when we can actually watch the same thing!

We must like the same things because I have Mr. Church on my watchlist, too!

Thanks to everyone for the reviews!!!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Omg! How was this not mentioned?!

Z: The Beginning of Everything

About Zelda Fitzgerald, who supposedly was the person who started the flapper movement.
MUST watch!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

madelise|1487652967|4131596 said:
Omg! How was this not mentioned?!

Z: The Beginning of Everything

About Zelda Fitzgerald, who supposedly was the person who started the flapper movement.
MUST watch!

Thanks Madelise! We have it on our watch list but now that you highly recommend it I am putting it to the top! Cannot wait to watch it, thanks! (Plus it is going to remind me of you know who's ring and OMG what a beautiful beautiful art deco ring...totally and completely in love with that ring!).

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

Thanks for starting this thread, missy! Amazon Prime shows is something that my husband and I have just started researching, so I will check out some of the recommendations here =)

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I actually watched the Lobster on Netflix a while back (and saw it was nominated for an Oscar for best original screen play!) - a very weird, but very interesting movie.

We don't actually pay for our Netflix (using BILs account hehe), but have been thinking about branching out. Do you prefer prime vs Netflix? Or think there is value in keeping both?
There's so many random ones now a days, I don't know whats worth spending money on or not. We cut our cable to the basic package and now mostly just watch the food network/hgtv/Netflix lol.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

telephone89|1487707902|4131808 said:
I actually watched the Lobster on Netflix a while back (and saw it was nominated for an Oscar for best original screen play!) - a very weird, but very interesting movie.

We don't actually pay for our Netflix (using BILs account hehe), but have been thinking about branching out. Do you prefer prime vs Netflix? Or think there is value in keeping both?
There's so many random ones now a days, I don't know whats worth spending money on or not. We cut our cable to the basic package and now mostly just watch the food network/hgtv/Netflix lol.

That's a tough one cause they each offer something different. I was just telling my dh yesterday that it is crazy we have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Showtime, HBO and Starz. And others but those are the main ones I can think of right now. It is too much yet we do watch something from each of these so hard to choose. Sorry telephone I am no help! I will say I think Netflix has a much wider and numerous selection so maybe something to factor in. I have heard HULU has a great selection but I don't like their pricing differential b/w commercials and no commercials. But their selection looks pretty good and they have Big Bang Theory which I LOVE.

And I am with you. I cannot give up my HGTV. It is my favorite cable channel I think.

siv1

Shiny_Rock

One show I really enjoyed was Mad Dogs. As of now it still only has season 1, but it was a show that once I started watching, I couldn't stop.

https://www.amazon.com/Pilot/dp/B00...=UTF8&qid=1487708485&sr=1-1&keywords=mad+dogs

Loved Downtown Abbey. I might have to watch it again. Also like Mr Church and Poldark.

Another one I really liked that I haven't seen mentioned is Mercy Street

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

siv1|1487709658|4131827 said:
Another one I really liked that I haven't seen mentioned is Mercy Street

I have to check this one out. This is a time period my DH really enjoys. Thanks!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy|1487708387|4131812 said:

That's a tough one cause they each offer something different. I was just telling my dh yesterday that it is crazy we have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Showtime, HBO and Starz. And others but those are the main ones I can think of right now. It is too much yet we do watch something from each of these so hard to choose. Sorry telephone I am no help! I will say I think Netflix has a much wider and numerous selection so maybe something to factor in. I have heard HULU has a great selection but I don't like their pricing differential b/w commercials and no commercials. But their selection looks pretty good and they have Big Bang Theory which I LOVE.

And I am with you. I cannot give up my HGTV. It is my favorite cable channel I think.

I think Netflix has a wider selection but for whatever reason Amazon Prime has more shows I personally watch. My husband watches more Netflix though. I did not get Prime specifically for the shows though but for the two-day shipping, so I mentally have it in a separate category from Netflix. Between the two I can always find something to watch!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

distracts|1487711467|4131847 said:
missy|1487708387|4131812 said:

I think Netflix has a wider selection but for whatever reason Amazon Prime has more shows I personally watch. My husband watches more Netflix though. I did not get Prime specifically for the shows though but for the two-day shipping, so I mentally have it in a separate category from Netflix. Between the two I can always find something to watch!
Thank you both! I think prime just has (in general) a ton of benefits. My husband plays video games, and prime members get 20% off the new releases, and a recent game made him think about us getting Prime for all of the benefits.

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock

Hi telephone89 - just wanted to chime in. We cut cable down to basic offerings only, and we have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and access to my best friend's Hulu account. I'm not sure I would get Amazon Prime solely for its streaming options, but it comes with so many other benefits (free 2-day shipping, Amazon music, Amazon photo storage) that I do think it's worth it. Particularly if you already shop on Amazon a fair amount. I do think it's worth keeping both Netflix and Prime - I find that there's really not a whole lot of crossover in offerings between the two. I also really like Hulu for TV offerings, but I have no clue what it actually costs or whether or not the price is worth it.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

girlyglam|1487712135|4131854 said:
Hi telephone89 - just wanted to chime in. We cut cable down to basic offerings only, and we have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and access to my best friend's Hulu account. I'm not sure I would get Amazon Prime solely for its streaming options, but it comes with so many other benefits (free 2-day shipping, Amazon music, Amazon photo storage) that I do think it's worth it. Particularly if you already shop on Amazon a fair amount. I do think it's worth keeping both Netflix and Prime - I find that there's really not a whole lot of crossover in offerings between the two. I also really like Hulu for TV offerings, but I have no clue what it actually costs or whether or not the price is worth it.
Thank you! (And sorry to missy for hijacking your thread!)
I'm more open to having things that don't overlap, but our basic cable still has the 'regular' popular tv shows. I think I'll have to do more research. Its also possible that the Canadian version is more limited (as it always is!), so we'd have to decide if its worth it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Telephone, please feel free to discuss anything here OK?! Threadjack (but I don't consider it a threadjack anyway) away!

I am going to "threadjack" this thread too...we saw Big Little Lies last night on HBO. I love Reese Witherspoon. She's a spitfire. 8-)
And so far it is an enjoyable series. Anyone else watching?

And just wanted to add the title for the thread is Amazon shows and *any other* moves or series worth watching so please share anything you recommend to watch. :appl:

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Somewhat of a tangent, but if anyone has little kids (mine is three-ish) and is looking for less loud and flashy and more gentle/creative shows my two favorite Amazon Prime finds are

-Their fantastic movie adaptation of the Caldecott-winning book The Snowy Day
-The Tumbleleaf series

Back to grown up stuff: I liked Better Off Ted. It's from a few years back, wry humor about employees of a questionably ethical (in a funny way?) giant research corporation. Hapless scientists and heartless upper management and the people in between, that sort of thing.

edit to add: This review sums it up better than I can :lol:

Veridian Dynamics is a large corporation that invents, tests and markets everything from deadly pumpkins to beef that tastes like despair. Ted works there as a manager. He's a good and sane man in a heartless--and often insane--corporate environment. The comedy in this series comes from seeing just how insane work at Veridian can be and the hoops Ted jumps through to keep the insanity in check.

Husband and I also enjoyed Mr. Robot, that was a gritty & dark thriller about a cyber vigilante. Lots of trying to unravel the plot while it twists and turns.

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium

missy|1487764528|4132063 said:
I am going to "threadjack" this thread too...we saw Big Little Lies last night on HBO. I love Reese Witherspoon. She's a spitfire. 8-)
And so far it is an enjoyable series. Anyone else watching?

Not yet, but I will be! It's on my short list of things I plan to check out! I've been seeing the promos on HBO!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1487548717|4130915 said:

I just watched Dr. Thorne and loved it. It is only 4 episodes long. Julian Fellowes wrote it based on a book written by Anthony Trollope. Might have to read his books. Mr. Fellowes does an intro and debrief for each episode.
Here is a review:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2016/03/04/doctor-thorne-review-fellowes-and-trollope-is-a-happy-marriage/

I love Ian McShane btw, we love the series Deadwood and he is an integral part. Beware though that series is chock full of bad language.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results