shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I crazy for buying a *slightly* thinner band for my ring stack?

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
I've been trying different combinations of stacking with my new 5-diamond ring.

So today, on a whim, I bought a 2mm platinum diamond band because the price was really good. And to my eyes, I think it looks more delicate and in proportion in the stack.

But please be honest with me. Is there even an appreciable visual difference to justify the purchase of the new band, compared to my original wedding band?

With my original band, 3mm with milgrain edging.
IMG_20190221_000218314.jpg

With new band, 2mm & no edging.
IMG_20190221_000145375.jpg

Thanks for reading!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the look of the new ring, but I’d worry about the prongs of your five-stone destroying the girdles of its diamonds.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I like the new one too, and I think it’s because the original one seems Edwardian in style but the new one seems more timeless. Does that make sense? Anyway, it’s beautiful!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both are beautiful.:love: I love your original band the most however. I think it just feels romantic to me with the migrain edging but they both look gorgeous. And are just different looks. Keep them both if you love them and think you will wear them. It is fun to be able to mix it up.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the new band...your old band is nice but looks a little busy to my eyes. Not at all bad though.

Of course, as others have mentioned, you have to worry about the edges on the new ring and not the old one as much.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The thinner looks better with the stack. Maybe wear the original one when you’re only wearing 2 rings.

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
They’re both pretty- I think the difference is somewhat subtle, but I understand that when you are the one looking down at your hand all day, you want it to be perfect in your eyes.
Okay, because no one has asked, let’s see a diamond sandwich!! 3 mm on bottom, 5 stone in the middle and 2 mm on top! :lol:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the thinner band, puts more focus on the 5 stone :kiss2:

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
It depends....
If it’s a size 7.5 ring it looks terrible.... pls post on Loupe Troop :kiss2:
Ok, it’s totally awesome :rolleyes:
LOL :lol::lol::lol:. You are too funny. Both bands are 7.25.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see that your ring has started asking for presents. Mine does that all the time. Best to give in and buy it a whole collection of stackers over time!

Ps. I like the thinner one. Gives more oomph to the main event.

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone for chiming in. It's so helpful :)

I think I'll keep both and alternate. But of course I haven't thought about the issue of girdled & prongs with the new band, so that does add a little worry.

Sparkle_ruckle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
There definitely is a difference and a positive one too! Your new band has great proportions and allows the beautiful five-stone ring to shine! How about a very, very thin spacer band if abrasion and damage are possible concerns? I personally tried on a rose gold one and found that it blended into my skin better and looked almost invisible, but you could get a white gold one too.

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
There definitely is a difference and a positive one too! Your new band has great proportions and allows the beautiful five-stone ring to shine! How about a very, very thin spacer band if abrasion and damage are possible concerns? I personally tried on a rose gold one and found that it blended into my skin better and looked almost invisible, but you could get a white gold one too.

Oooh, I like the idea of a really thin, almost invisible spacer.

Off to look on etsy now, lol.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the thinner band with the stack. But I love love love the milgrain band. Keep both! Wear the thicker when you want to stack just 2!

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I like the thinner band. Looks more delicate and flows better with the 5 diamond ring.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the new/thinner one better, personally, but I’d swap it with the yellow gold band, allowing the YG band to act as a spacer and prevent damage to both diamond rings. :wavey:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are both beautiful but I think I am partial to the thinner one with your new ring. Beautiful stack!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely there is a difference! I own like 20 bands that I rotate constantly! Enjoy your lovely ring! And keep stacking away!

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
I like the new/thinner one better, personally, but I’d swap it with the yellow gold band, allowing the YG band to act as a spacer and prevent damage to both diamond rings. :wavey:
Ditto, but I'm biased because I wear the same combo and yours is more balanced than mine.
May I ask you the how many carats is your new band? Is it full or half circle?
Thanks in advance,
purplesilk

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the old one, but my e-ring is Edwardian so it may be I'm drawn to the milgrain. :love:
It would fit me too ;))

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto, but I'm biased because I wear the same combo and yours is more balanced than mine.
May I ask you the how many carats is your new band? Is it full or half circle?
Thanks in advance,
purplesilk
The new band is a half eternity, 15 diamonds, 0.35 ctw.

HTH.

alisonf

Rough_Rock
Do YOU love it? Then go for it! Who cares what other people think!!! It's fabulous!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results