shape
carat
color
clarity

Airline regrets kicking off an obese man AFTER learning he''s famous

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I paid for that space, its mine for the duration of that flight provided I follow the same rules and guidelines as every other passenger

Did they not pay for their space as well?

Again, I totally agree that they should set up guidelines for those who would require extra space... be it with larger seats..or again a fixed lower rate for two seats (which in the end sells 2 seats!),and the requirement of some information that would disclose those requirements about every individual. But to say that someone should be kicked off a plane because you are uncomfortable to me is a bit insensitive. We all have to put up with discomforts sometime. That person paid, and again their circumstances are completely unknown to others.

If the airline makes a decision fine. If it is hazardous... fine. But to say someone should get kicked off because you are uncomfortable is harsh to me.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Good pt. L&R, heck apologizing is easy with so few characters.

Anyway, we all know Thing is skinny and mean too, so scoot over biche, I want your elbowrest!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 2:22:50 PM
Author: dragonfly411
I paid for that space, its mine for the duration of that flight provided I follow the same rules and guidelines as every other passenger

Again, I totally agree that they should set up guidelines for those who would require extra space... be it with larger seats..or again a fixed lower rate for two seats (which in the end sells 2 seats!),and the requirement of some information that would disclose those requirements about every individual. But to say that someone should be kicked off a plane because you are uncomfortable to me is a bit insensitive. We all have to put up with discomforts sometime. That person paid, and again their circumstances are completely unknown to others.

If the airline makes a decision fine. If it is hazardous... fine. But to say someone should get kicked off because you are uncomfortable is harsh to me.
Yes, they paid for THEIR space. If they overtake Clairitek or Thing2''s space, then either C-tek and Thing2 need to be compensated for the loss of the space THEY paid for, or something else needs to happen. If they cannot fit into the space they paid for, there is a problem, and they need to pay for more space for them to occupy. They don''t need to infringe on other people''s space that those other people paid for. That is not fair or right.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 2:25:45 PM
Author: swimmer
Anyway, we all know Thing is skinny and mean too, so scoot over biche, I want your elbowrest!

LOL!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 2:30:11 PM
Author: FrekeChild

Yes, they paid for THEIR space. If they overtake Clairitek or Thing2''s space, then either C-tek and Thing2 need to be compensated for the loss of the space THEY paid for, or something else needs to happen. If they cannot fit into the space they paid for, there is a problem, and they need to pay for more space for them to occupy. They don''t need to infringe on other people''s space that those other people paid for. That is not fair or right.

But it''s ok to say that those people should be kicked off the flight?
38.gif
Sorry, I just don''t agree with that. I can see discounting the fare of someone else... or asking if the person might be able to take a later flight... but to outright say they deserve to be kicked off.. or out right KICK THEM OFF isn''t ok to me. They paid for a seat to fly on that plane for the flight. Again, it is the airline''s responsibility to make sure space is compensated for.. and again I do think they need to install policies to make sure such things DON"T happen. But I don''t think it''s grounds for kicking someone off a flight. That person paid for a seat and is now being punished for their body size... regardless of if it is a size they can control or not. We frown on models being told they''re too fat... on people making fun of children and teens for calling them fat, or giants, or anything close... but it''s ok to kick people off of a plane for being different? Doesn''t fly.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i paid for my seat space. i want to use my seat space. i did not spend my $ so someone else could share my seat with me.

i am not a thin person but short and definitely round. if i was so round that i needed two seats, i''d pay for them. if two seats were not available for a particular flight, i''d take a flight on which i could get two seats. regardless of the reasons for my roundness, it is not the problem of the airlines or the other passengers.

it is a privilege to fly....one i''m willing to pay for. if one is large enough to require two seats but cannot afford to purchase tickets for two seats, then that person cannot afford to fly. it is time then to look at alternative travel arrangements.

elitist? no, merely a realist.

mz

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yes. Their "space" is that within the confines of their arm rests, NOT my seat, lap, shoulder, etc.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 2:34:36 PM
38.gif
Sorry, I just don''t agree with that. I can see discounting the fare of someone else... or asking if the person might be able to take a later flight... but to outright say they deserve to be kicked off.. or out right KICK THEM OFF isn''t ok to me. They paid for a seat to fly on that plane for the flight. Again, it is the airline''s responsibility to make sure space is compensated for.. and again I do think they need to install policies to make sure such things DON''T happen. But I don''t think it''s grounds for kicking someone off a flight. That person paid for a seat and is now being punished for their body size... regardless of if it is a size they can control or not. We frown on models being told they''re too fat... on people making fun of children and teens for calling them fat, or giants, or anything close... but it''s ok to kick people off of a plane for being different? Doesn''t fly.
I certainly didn''t say that. But if they need additional room, and that additional room is NOT available on that flight, then what would you suggest? Putting them on the next flight? Weren''t they just kicked off the first flight?

You''re kind of speaking in circles DF.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Just because the elbow rest is down, doesn''t mean you fit entirely into your seat. If you cannot sit and stand with the armrests in their DOWN position, you don''t fit into your seat... and honestly, THAT is a safety risk to the person with the window seat, if this person is in the middle or aisle seat.

I have been asked if I can lift XXX number of pounds when seated in the emergency exit row. I also was asked when I was 23 yrs old if I was over the age of... like 13? when I was seated in the emergency exit row. But when I see geriatrics seated there that needed help getting their luggage into the overhead compartment, I seldom see these passengers moved. So I do see the strange "at the staff''s discretion" logic. There are no clear guidelines in place.

The best idea I''ve read here is the sample seat/row. It you don''t fit, you''ll need an extra ticket. But it isn''t just obese passengers that spill into my seat. I''ve been seated next to some very tall men and women even, that do not fit and I''ve got leg in my space. It isn''t even fun when I sit in front of them w/ my seat in the fullest upright position, and I have sharp knees in my back. Truth is the seats HAVE gotten smaller, as America got larger. But they''ve also made the rows narrower to fit in an extra row or two of seats. I do agree that a little bit of sympathy and compassion goes a long way, as I''d never be vocal to get another passenger get kicked off for spilling into my seat. But when I''m having to pay for luggage, having to get virtually strip searched to fly, measure out all my liquids, pay for blankets, pillows, earphones, food, drink, etc... at some point, you want to reclaim your rights back... people get hostile, and it isn''t the friendly skies anymore when you are forced to canoodle - and share your ''cubicle foot'' of space with a complete stranger. No I''d never say anything to make this person feel bad... that is just wrong... but no, I do not enjoy sharing my space... and this happens anytime I fly solo.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
How about the annoying person who falls asleep darn near on top of you and you can see that drool slowly starting to form just millimeters away from your arm...do they deserve to be kicked off for infringing your space as well? (not saying I support drooling sleeping annoying passengers but just another way to look at it).

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 2:25:45 PM

Ah, but pointy elbows come with being skinny, so watch it!
25.gif

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
I got it! You know that little metal cage thing "your overhead bag must fit into this space or it will be checked" at check-in? Yeah, well since a little metal cage won''t work for humans, it would be a complex equation of height, weight, shoulder width, femur length, body odor presence, and while doing the measurements we could all be scanned for explosives residue, weapons, drugs, and of course exotic fruits. Perfect! TSA will have to hire thousands of new people and the economy would be saved. Perhaps we could even leave our shoes on?

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 2:38:30 PM

38.gif
Sorry, I just don''t agree with that. I can see discounting the fare of someone else... or asking if the person might be able to take a later flight... but to outright say they deserve to be kicked off.. or out right KICK THEM OFF isn''t ok to me. They paid for a seat to fly on that plane for the flight. Again, it is the airline''s responsibility to make sure space is compensated for.. and again I do think they need to install policies to make sure such things DON''T happen. But I don''t think it''s grounds for kicking someone off a flight. That person paid for a seat and is now being punished for their body size... regardless of if it is a size they can control or not. We frown on models being told they''re too fat... on people making fun of children and teens for calling them fat, or giants, or anything close... but it''s ok to kick people off of a plane for being different? Doesn''t fly.

I certainly didn''t say that. But if they need additional room, and that additional room is NOT available on that flight, then what would you suggest? Putting them on the next flight? Weren''t they just kicked off the first flight?

You''re kind of speaking in circles DF.

Again, they do need policies. I just don''t think it''s right to say that a person should be kicked off given that right now they lack in those policies. Sorry if I''m confusing.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 2:52:21 PM
I got it! You know that little metal cage thing ''your overhead bag must fit into this space or it will be checked'' at check-in? Yeah, well since a little metal cage won''t work for humans, it would be a complex equation of height, weight, shoulder width, femur length, body odor presence, and while doing the measurements we could all be scanned for explosives residue, weapons, drugs, and of course exotic fruits. Perfect! TSA will have to hire thousands of new people and the economy would be saved. Perhaps we could even leave our shoes on?

lolololol

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

38.gif

Oh come ON. So you think obese people should have to buy two plane tickets. Unless they can''t afford it or if they''re not available. Mmmkay, so what do you suggest then? Wouldn''t booking them on a later flight involve kicking them off the current flight?

And you think it''s the airline''s responsibility to make sure they have extra large seats available. Guess what? They do have extra large seats available-in first class! Oh and you think it''s not right to discriminate against people for being different. Well I don''t care if someone''s different-I CARE IF THEY ARE TAKING OVER HALF MY SEAT!

But on top of all of this, you''ve stated that you think obese people should buy two plane tickets. Isn''t that discrimination?

You are making no sense. Circle talk indeed. Just surrender-you''re wrong!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 2:38:00 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk

Yes. Their ''space'' is that within the confines of their arm rests, NOT my seat, lap, shoulder, etc.
Exactly.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 2:55:53 PM
Author: thing2of2

38.gif

Oh come ON. So you think obese people should have to buy two plane tickets. Unless they can''t afford it or if they''re not available. Mmmkay, so what do you suggest then? Wouldn''t booking them on a later flight involve kicking them off the current flight?

And you think it''s the airline''s responsibility to make sure they have extra large seats available. Guess what? They do have extra large seats available-in first class! Oh and you think it''s not right to discriminate against people for being different. Well I don''t care if someone''s different-I CARE IF THEY ARE TAKING OVER HALF MY SEAT!

But on top of all of this, you''ve stated that you think obese people should buy two plane tickets. Isn''t that discrimination?

You are making no sense. Circle talk indeed. Just surrender-you''re wrong!

I don''t really get how I circle talk but ok.

I also stated CLEARLY that there should be a DISCOUNTED rate for buying TWO seats... and that there should be DISTINCT guidelines to distinquish when two seats would be required. At that point it is the plane''s responsibility to make sure if the people purchase two seats that they leave two consecutive seats available. If the person meats the guidelines to require two seats, and there aren''t two seats available it would notify them that the flight is sold out. They shouldn''t have to pay exorbitant fees in that case either. Offering the reduce rate continues to sell out the seats. Providing distinguishing guidelines at least gives the opportunity for that person to make sure they are getting on a flight that can accomodate. The airline makes more money because they embarrass and humiliate less people by kicking them off of a plane because you are uncomfortable.

It seems though that my original problem with the original post was misunderstood... that one individual would judge that another SHOULD be kicked off because of their own physical discomfort... without taking the other individual into thought at all... their discomfort...how they feel when being asked to leave a plane... how they feel when said individual gives them the death glare for sitting in a seat they paid for just the same as the other individual.

Creating the guidelines would at least eliminate the above scenario. Or at least make an effort to.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
GAH! This "circle talk" concept that eludes you DF is the fact that you''re not understanding what posters are saying in response to your posts and you keep re-posting the same thing over and over and over again. Seriously, trying to help you understand this other point of view is like hitting one''s head against a brick wall. We get what you''re saying, but you apparently are not understanding what we''re saying. There ARE guidelines, there IS a policy about double seat purchases for larger passengers, people with children or people who want extra room. The fact is, the airlines own the planes and seats and when you purchase a plane ticket you''re essentially renting one seat, half of two arm rests and space to store two carry-on items. THAT IS ALL! You''re not buying the rights to overtake another person''s space to make yourself more comfortable. That''s like me telling my landlord I''m going to knock down a wall between my bedroom and my neighbor''s because I''d be more comfortable with more space.

Let''s all just acknowledge that we have differing opinions on the subject so the thread can peacefully move into the PS ether.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 3:43:12 PM
Let''s all just acknowledge that we have differing opinions on the subject so the thread can peacefully move into the PS ether.

Ooh I think I''d like to visit the PS ether, imagine all the diamonds that are there! All the lost forgotten diamonds of the world lol
12.gif

I think this thread is starting to turn offensive, and people should just move on.

In addition, I don''t think this is a "you''re right" (or wrong) argument. It''s your opinion. That''s it.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
HH - what others seem to be missing about my statement though is that I think there should be distinct guidelines about what qualifies a person to require two seats, and almost make it an automatic. If you weigh/measure a certain weigh it automatically directs you towards two seats, and gives a set (although I think it should be reduced) price for the two seats. If those two seats aren''t available, it would automatically tell you that it is sold out. See what I''m saying? That''s where it ends up having a fall through in the system, because right now there''s no way to make sure it is happening, and the situation ends up where people are put into the uncomfortable situation... thus where it goes back to being the airline''s responsibility to make sure it''s passengers are comfortable.

Although I bet my grandpa wouldn''t mind being upgraded to First Class
2.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
DF thank you for clarifying. Your most recent post makes sense, the others, not so much. But it's still not going to happen.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2010 3:53:17 PM
Author: swedish bean
I think this thread is starting to turn offensive, and people should just move on.

In addition, I don't think this is a 'you're right' (or wrong) argument. It's your opinion. That's it.
There's another of those "opinions!"
9.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 3:59:46 PM
HH - what others seem to be missing about my statement though is that I think there should be distinct guidelines about what qualifies a person to require two seats, and almost make it an automatic. If you weigh/measure a certain weigh it automatically directs you towards two seats, and gives a set (although I think it should be reduced) price for the two seats. If those two seats aren''t available, it would automatically tell you that it is sold out. See what I''m saying? That''s where it ends up having a fall through in the system, because right now there''s no way to make sure it is happening, and the situation ends up where people are put into the uncomfortable situation... thus where it goes back to being the airline''s responsibility to make sure it''s passengers are comfortable.

Although I bet my grandpa wouldn''t mind being upgraded to First Class
2.gif
Question: Why should it be reduced? I dont think the airlines would be willing to lose money so larger customers can be accomodated.

Also, if larger customers can do this, the option for 2 seats should be available to everyone, IMO. If the rate was seriously discounted, I would probably by the two seats even though I dont need them. My long legs would love the room! Then if everyone thinks like I do... they''re losing a lot of money.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
elle - I think it''s a fair offer in the case of someone who is required to buy the two seats... don''t you? 2 seats would of course still be available to others.. but this would be an auto requirement for those that surpass the allotted weigh/size range. I''m not saying some huge discount.. but maybe 5-10% since they are being REQUIRED to purchase the two seats. Or at least something close to what a first class seat would cost?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 4:08:00 PM
elle - I think it''s a fair offer in the case of someone who is required to buy the two seats... don''t you? 2 seats would of course still be available to others.. but this would be an auto requirement for those that surpass the allotted weigh/size range. I''m not saying some huge discount.. but maybe 5-10% since they are being REQUIRED to purchase the two seats. Or at least something close to what a first class seat would cost?

My kid is only going to require half a seat but I''ll be expected to buy two. Why shouldn''t I get a discount too? I''m required to buy two after all.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 4:09:08 PM

My kid is only going to require half a seat but I''ll be expected to buy two. Why shouldn''t I get a discount too? I''m required to buy two after all.
I don''t require the whole width of the seat to fit into it. Where my discount for not needing a whole seat?? I''m required to pay for the whole seat since they don''t offer them in fractions for a reduced cost.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock

Its definitely fair to the person, not so much the airline!

Was also going to bring up HH''s baby point!

Ive heard the statistic floating around that 60% of the US is obese? (correct me if I''m wrong) but if thats true, then 60% would need an extra seat discount... thats a lot of money lost. Wouldnt MY rates be raised to account for this, even though I sit in one seat comfortably?

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
But the larger person is being required to buy two seats for only one person, versus you are buying two seats for two people.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 4:12:02 PM
Author: Clairitek
Date: 2/16/2010 4:09:08 PM

I don''t require the whole width of the seat to fit into it. Where my discount for not needing a whole seat?? I''m required to pay for the whole seat since they don''t offer them in fractions for a reduced cost.

Maybe the heavier person could purchase the balance of your seat space?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results