shape
carat
color
clarity

Airline regrets kicking off an obese man AFTER learning he''s famous

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"An organization called National Assn. to Advance Fat Acceptance has called for a boycott of Southwest."

Aren''t most American are obese now?
I sure am.
7.gif

Opps

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I don''t agree with kicking ANYONE off.... I do agree with the idea of offering a reduced rate for two seats if they are needed for comfort for a larger person. In some cases obesity cannot be helped, whether due to disease or genetics. My grandfather is obese...not by choice... and not by anything that is his own fault. He has been unable to remove the weight since having surgery through his abdominal wall. Does that mean he should be kicked off a plane?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2010 1:19:05 PM
Author: dragonfly411
I don''t agree with kicking ANYONE off.... I do agree with the idea of offering a reduced rate for two seats if they are needed for comfort for a larger person. In some cases obesity cannot be helped, whether due to disease or genetics. My grandfather is obese...not by choice... and not by anything that is his own fault. He has been unable to remove the weight since having surgery through his abdominal wall. Does that mean he should be kicked off a plane?

If your grandfather is infringing on my seat and there aren''t any extra seats then yes, I do think he should be kicked off a plane.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The airlines are well on the way to putting themselves out of business. The only flights that will be left will be private charters if they don''t clean up their act.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Over the last 30 years airline seats have gotten smaller while people have gotten larger.
This is a real problem which is going to get worse.

I think airlines should have seats in a range of sizes or design seats rows with moveable armrests so the same row could seat 2, 3, or 4 people depending on their size.
Larger people should get larger seats.

But fuel is expensive.
I also believe they should weigh us and charge per pound.
They charge per bag now.
It costs them more to fly me than a lighter person, so I would not be offended to pay more.

Sometimes this PC equality thing gets out of hand.
People may be equal but it does not take an equal amount of fuel to move them.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2010 1:33:16 PM
Author: kenny
Over the last 30 years airline seats have gotten smaller while people have gotten larger.
This is a real problem which is going to get worse.

I think airlines should have seats in a range of sizes or design seats rows with moveable armrests so the same row could seat 2, 3, or 4 people depending on their size.
Larger people should get larger seats.

But fuel is expensive.
I also believe they should weigh us and charge per pound.
They charge per bag now.
It costs them more to fly me than a lighter person, so I would not be offended to pay more.

Sometimes this PC equality thing gets out of hand.
Is that true?

Also - I assume if the seats become modular, the more room you take up, the more you pay?

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn''t mind being squished next to an obese man if he had a honkin asscher on his finger I could stare at!

FWIW, I agree that there should be a variety of seat sizes.

Shouldn''t we have flying cars by now? Someday...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2010 1:46:54 PM
Author: Lynnie
I wouldn't mind being squished next to an obese man if he had a honkin asscher on his finger I could stare at!
Hehehe. Honk Honk.

I believe seats have gotten smaller, but then again maybe my impression is just skewed by me getting larger.
39.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2010 1:48:17 PM
Date: 2/15/2010 1:46:54 PM

I wouldn''t mind being squished next to an obese man if he had a honkin asscher on his finger I could stare at!

Hehehe. Honk Honk.

I believe seats have gotten smaller, but then again maybe my impression is just skewed by me getting larger.
39.gif

I think they haven''t actually gotten smaller, but the way they are made make them a lot more cramped. I remember taking my first flight when I was about 14 or 15, and thinking I had a lot of room. And when I was 16 and flew again (on the same airline, and I weighed the same, even wore the same clothes), I felt like the armrests were touching my hips a lot more. It was just a snug fit.

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
I am not sure if seat have gotten smaller but the leg room sure has! I believe an extra row of seats was added making every row narrower. Flying coach is uncomfortable for just about everyone I know obese or not. Last month I was on a 3.5hr flight next to a woman doused in perfume... My four year old son was complaining the whole way about the smell and his headaches. Geez, she didn''t even acknowledge us.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2010 1:59:59 PM
Author: akmiss
I am not sure if seat have gotten smaller but the leg room sure has! I believe an extra row of seats was added making every row narrower. Flying coach is uncomfortable for just about everyone I know obese or not. Last month I was on a 3.5hr flight next to a woman doused in perfume... My four year old son was complaining the whole way about the smell and his headaches. Geez, she didn't even acknowledge us.
Come on, would you really have acknowledged somebody in this situation? I'm sure she thought she was well within her rights to wear her perfume, and thought you and your kid were rude for saying something. (Not saying either party is right here, just that it's no fun from either end!)

Flying is a necessary evil in my book. I don't expect to be comfortable or happy, I just expect to get where I'm going safely.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2010 1:22:24 PM
Author: thing2of2

If your grandfather is infringing on my seat and there aren''t any extra seats then yes, I do think he should be kicked off a plane.

Thing 2 - what if it were your grandfather... and he had a problem that he could not control.. that even doctor''s have said there isn''t much to be done without more surgeries... and you got on a plane and someone said "you need to make that man leave, he''s infringing on my space". Could you imagine the embarrassment? Would you as his granddaughter not be outraged? I''m sorry but your post is extremely harsh and rude. He has no control over the issue... he''s paying just like everyone else.... he paid for his seat... why should he be kicked off because he''s got a situation out of his control?

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2010 2:07:10 PM

Thing 2 - what if it were your grandfather... and he had a problem that he could not control.. that even doctor''s have said there isn''t much to be done without more surgeries... and you got on a plane and someone said ''you need to make that man leave, he''s infringing on my space''. Could you imagine the embarrassment? Would you as his granddaughter not be outraged? I''m sorry but your post is extremely harsh and rude. He has no control over the issue... he''s paying just like everyone else.... he paid for his seat... why should he be kicked off because he''s got a situation out of his control?
It is unfortunate, but the person''s seat that he is infringing on also paid their fair share for their WHOLE seat. They are entitled to that, IMO.

I would hate for anyone to have to be embarassed for that, but I think you can pre-arrange having more than 1 seat on southwest. If they are not fully booked, they''ll reimburse you for the extra seat.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2010 2:02:49 PM
Author: princesss
akmiss I'm sure she thought she was well within her rights to wear her perfume, and thought you and your kid were rude for saying something. (Not saying either party is right here, just that it's no fun from either end!)

I must respectfully disagree.
Please don't wear fragrances when in public transportation.

An elevator ride is one thing, but a long flight is quite another.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2010 2:14:25 PM

akmiss I'm sure she thought she was well within her rights to wear her perfume, and thought you and your kid were rude for saying something. (Not saying either party is right here, just that it's no fun from either end!)

Don't wear fragrances when in public transportation.
Kenny, personally, I don't wear anything but deodorant on a plane. But whether we like it or not, there aren't actual regulations on this. So the woman had a right to wear the perfume if she wanted, no matter who it annoyed. The kid had a right to say something about it, too. I'm just saying I'm positive both people in this situation think they're entitled to what they did, and that they thought the *other* person was being rude.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Personally, when I am sitting next to someone who infringes on my seat (either overweight or someone with very broad shoulders) I find it unpleasant. I enjoy my personal space, whatever small amount I would get on a plane. If someone requires more space than a standard seat, they should purchase two seats. While it stinks to kick someone off of a plane due to their size, I can understand where Southwest is coming from. The fact that SWA is willing to refund the extra seat if the flight doesn''t oversell is pretty great, IMO.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2010 2:20:27 PM
Author: Clairitek
Personally, when I am sitting next to someone who infringes on my seat (either overweight or someone with very broad shoulders) I find it unpleasant. I enjoy my personal space, whatever small amount I would get on a plane. If someone requires more space than a standard seat, they should purchase two seats. While it stinks to kick someone off of a plane due to their size, I can understand where Southwest is coming from. The fact that SWA is willing to refund the extra seat if the flight doesn''t oversell is pretty great, IMO.

I agree with this 100%, and also really do promote the idea of a reduced rate for buying two seats (perhaps 10% off... or similar). I also think that there should be a weight check for EVERYONE ... everyone should have to answer. That being said, I think it''s horrible for them to remove people from planes.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2010 2:12:56 PM
Author: elledizzy5

Date: 2/15/2010 2:07:10 PM

Thing 2 - what if it were your grandfather... and he had a problem that he could not control.. that even doctor''s have said there isn''t much to be done without more surgeries... and you got on a plane and someone said ''you need to make that man leave, he''s infringing on my space''. Could you imagine the embarrassment? Would you as his granddaughter not be outraged? I''m sorry but your post is extremely harsh and rude. He has no control over the issue... he''s paying just like everyone else.... he paid for his seat... why should he be kicked off because he''s got a situation out of his control?
It is unfortunate, but the person''s seat that he is infringing on also paid their fair share for their WHOLE seat. They are entitled to that, IMO.

I would hate for anyone to have to be embarassed for that, but I think you can pre-arrange having more than 1 seat on southwest. If they are not fully booked, they''ll reimburse you for the extra seat.
We were posting at the same time but ElleDizzy basically said what I was thinking. I paid for that seat too. I should not have to forfeit some of it to an overweight passenger because I don''t take up the whole thing already. If you need more than one seat, book more than one seat.

Kenny- I like your idea of the moveable armrests. I figure these things would probably not ever happen but they make sense and would allow everyone to travel comfortably.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2010 2:17:55 PM

Don't wear fragrances when in public transportation.

Kenny, personally, I don't wear anything but deodorant on a plane. But whether we like it or not, there aren't actual regulations on this. So the woman had a right to wear the perfume if she wanted, no matter who it annoyed. The kid had a right to say something about it, too. I'm just saying I'm positive both people in this situation think they're entitled to what they did, and that they thought the *other* person was being rude.

So if a person has a right to wear perfume, do they also have a right to smoke?

Isn't this about modifying the air that others breath?

Wouldn't everyone's right to breath clean air override a person's right to smoke and wear perfume?

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2010 2:23:31 PM

I agree with this 100%, and also really do promote the idea of a reduced rate for buying two seats (perhaps 10% off... or similar). I also think that there should be a weight check for EVERYONE ... everyone should have to answer. That being said, I think it''s horrible for them to remove people from planes.
Okay, but what else are they supposed to do? If the plane is full, and somebody is taking up more room than they paid for and making at least one, and possibly two other passengers uncomfortable, what should they do?

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2010 2:24:52 PM

akmiss I''m sure she thought she was well within her rights to wear her perfume, and thought you and your kid were rude for saying something. (Not saying either party is right here, just that it''s no fun from either end!)

Don''t wear fragrances when in public transportation.

Kenny, personally, I don''t wear anything but deodorant on a plane. But whether we like it or not, there aren''t actual regulations on this. So the woman had a right to wear the perfume if she wanted, no matter who it annoyed. The kid had a right to say something about it, too. I''m just saying I''m positive both people in this situation think they''re entitled to what they did, and that they thought the *other* person was being rude.

Isn''t this about modifying the air that others breath?

Wouldn''t everyone''s right to breath clean air override a person''s right to smoke and wear perfume?
Apples to oranges, Kenny, and you know it. Smoking is illegal on planes, bathing in perfume isn''t.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2010 2:27:23 PM

Okay, but what else are they supposed to do? If the plane is full, and somebody is taking up more room than they paid for and making at least one, and possibly two other passengers uncomfortable, what should they do?

They install the above regulations and they won''t have the problem. In the end that person paid for their seat... they shouldn''t be removed because the plane/airline isn''t taking people''s varying weights or sizes into consideration. That''s their responsibility IMO and they SHOULD have regulations set down that outlines weight requirements, requires people to state their weight, and gives a fixed fee for the required seat room.

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
I think we could get rich by creating an airline that caters to plus sized folks? Who wants to finance it?

No offense to anyone, just trying to lighten the mood in here
5.gif

ETA:: OOh... we could have a 'smoking' flight too! Rich, I tell ya!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2010 2:31:29 PM

They install the above regulations and they won''t have the problem. In the end that person paid for their seat... they shouldn''t be removed because the plane/airline isn''t taking people''s varying weights or sizes into consideration. That''s their responsibility IMO and they SHOULD have regulations set down that outlines weight requirements, requires people to state their weight, and gives a fixed fee for the required seat room.
I see your point, but what does weight really tell you?

Its the dimensions of the person that matters.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2010 2:28:27 PM

akmiss I''m sure she thought she was well within her rights to wear her perfume, and thought you and your kid were rude for saying something. (Not saying either party is right here, just that it''s no fun from either end!)

Kenny, personally, I don''t wear anything but deodorant on a plane. But whether we like it or not, there aren''t actual regulations on this. So the woman had a right to wear the perfume if she wanted, no matter who it annoyed. The kid had a right to say something about it, too. I''m just saying I''m positive both people in this situation think they''re entitled to what they did, and that they thought the *other* person was being rude.

Wouldn''t everyone''s right to breath clean air override a person''s right to smoke and wear perfume?

Apples to oranges, Kenny, and you know it. Smoking is illegal on planes, bathing in perfume isn''t.

Kenny is implying that it should be, and actually it isn''t apples to oranges. What of allergies? Asthmatics who react? Those people should suffer b/c one person wants to bathe in perfume? This coming from a perfume collector btw.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Elledizzy - a very good point, though I''m not sure how that would solve things. But I would think that over a certain weight range, you end up taking measurements into consideration as well. My broad shouldered tall boyfriend is 230lbs.... but is not considered obese... I do think he''d be crammed in a regular airline seat though. He doesn''t fly so we''ve never faced the issue... but

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2010 2:33:50 PM

Date: 2/15/2010 2:28:27 PM

Kenny is implying that it should be, and actually it isn''t apples to oranges. What of allergies? Asthmatics who react? Those people should suffer b/c one person wants to bathe in perfume? This coming from a perfume collector btw.
I don''t think that was princesss''s point (correct me if I''m wrong)

It IS illegal.. thats already done. The perfume, right now, is not. I dont think she was voicing an opinion on whether it should or shouldnt be. Just that they''re not comparable because one IS illegal, and one is not. That is just the facts.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2010 2:32:06 PM
I think we could get rich by creating an airline that caters to plus sized folks? Who wants to finance it?

No offense to anyone, just trying to lighten the mood in here
5.gif

I have $10, when do we get started?
16.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2010 2:32:56 PM
Author: elledizzy5

Date: 2/15/2010 2:31:29 PM

I see your point, but what does weight really tell you?

Its the dimensions of the person that matters.
Just imagine, Elle - when making a reservation, you also enter your measurements, BMI, weight, and perfume preferences. Based on that there''s a computer program that maps out who should sit where. I mean, sure, you may not sit next to your hubs, and your infant may be placed back near the bathroom while you''re in row 8, but who cares? Leave the kid with the rest of the crying babies (better to consolodate, donchaknow) and enjoy your flight.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
ahhh I see that now, Apologies on my end, read it wrong
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results