shape
carat
color
clarity

Airline regrets kicking off an obese man AFTER learning he''s famous

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 11:33:22 AM
Author: dragonfly411
COMPLETELY OT

Monarch... that picture of your little girl is absolutely adorable.
LOL.

Monnie - did you have a baby behind my back?
33.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2010 11:33:22 AM
COMPLETELY OT

Monarch... that picture of your little girl is absolutely adorable.
Haha! That''s my NIECE, thank goodness. My brother sent me some pics of her doing funny faces in the bathtub the other night, and this one was so priceless I had to make it my avatar. Also, she looks almost exactly like I did at 2-3 years old, so that *could* be a baby pic of Monnie. Hee hee.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Based on his twitter which is what caused the whole uproar in the first place he did NOT purchase 2 seats. They assumed he was too large because his arm rests were folded up. According to regulations if you cannot put both arm rests down comfortably you are required to purchase two seats. He was given another ride home on another southwest airplace which he purchased TWO seats on and he rode the entire way with his arm rests down just to prove the point. He didn't use the second seat at all. You can read his perspective herehttp://twitter.com/THatkevinsmith

Here's his excerpt of what happened
1.gif
:

"Had three seats/whole row for me & Jen. She skipped SF, so I went solo checked in and was given the 2 tix there & return 2 (for that p.m.). Going out, even with 2 tix, I only sat in one seat, sleeping against window, w/empty seat between me and follow passenger. Coming back would have been the same, at 7pm. But I got to the airport early enough to try to bump-up my flight to 5:20 - a practice Southwest Air does often. I was told 5:20 flight was packed, but I could go Standby. They sent me to gate. Told lady whole story, and she said there wouldn't be two seats on that earlier flight. I said I only needed one seat & that I didn't buy an extra seat because I'm fat (which I am), but because I'm anti-social and didn't want to sit next to someone & possibly have to make convo (in person, I'm very shy). She said she understood. I was issued the solo ticket. I get on the plane: open seat in the front row. Put my bag away, then sit between two ladies. As I'm about to buckle my extender-less seatbelt, the woman who issued the ticket to me appeared in the doorway of the plane, came over to me and said the Captain said I wasn't going to be allowed to sit there because I was a safety risk. I asked for clarification and was given none (also asked "Please don't do this" but that, too, fell on deaf ears. Ladies on either side said I wasn't a problem. SWA-lady said arm-rests the decider. Arm-rests come down, and voila! I'm legit! I've passed the stinkin' arm-rest-test. And still, the lady asks me to get up and come with her off the plane. I get up without a fuss at all, quietly grab my bag, make eye contact with a fellow Fatty who was praying he'd pass, and leave. You think I wanna screw around on an airplane? I was right: I fit in that seat. But I can't risk not complying: I'm more afraid of AirFeds."

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A test seat would work but a large laser Sarin scanner would be faster.

Also they could measure your weight in carats.
Ya honk, ya pay.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
What if you just have a big table Kenny?
3.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2010 11:54:28 AM
What if you just have a big table Kenny?
3.gif

I don''t know.
From what I''ve seen, pavilions can hide a LOT of caratage.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 10:49:58 AM
Thing2 - I agree that those that ''spill over'' as you put it should have to buy two seats... again I''ve stated that. What''s rude to me is that you are stating that if YOUR physical comfort is infringed upon then they should kick someone off. So... if your elbow on your elbow rest is bugging the crap out of me because I can''t rest my arm... do I get to kick you off? What about the fact that they might be physically uncomfortable in that too small seat.... and maybe didn''t have a choice but to buy one ticket (finanically... or because there weren''t enough seats left and they have a deadline). Should you get kicked off so they can have two seats? My problem is that your opinion is very one sided. If I''m physically uncomfortable in a middle row seat, and some guy has the window seat, should he be kicked off so I won''t throw up? What about if you decide to recline your chair... and take up all of my space... is it then grounds to ask you to be removed from the plane??

ETA - what if you were on a subway or train going long distance... and there were people who had to sit close to you because of capacity... would you then be sitting there asking them to remove people from the train? I''m asking this one as a general question, because I feel like it would be a similar scenario... most trains/trams don''t really put a huge limit on proximity of people to one another.

I''m really not following your logic here. (Or lack thereof, as the case may be.)

You agree that if someone spills over into another seat, they should have to buy 2 tickets. Which is exactly what I said. So what exactly is rude or one sided? The entire problem with someone spilling over into another seat is that it makes the person in the spilled upon seat uncomfortable. If an obese passenger spilling into another seat didn''t make the passengers next to them uncomfortable, no one would care.

It seems like you''re just looking for an argument with me. I do love arguing, but what is there to argue about if you agree with me?

The comfort of each individual passenger is up to them. If you can only sit in a window seat without throwing up, you better make sure you book a window seat. If you''re obese and you can only fit into two seats, you better make sure you book two seats. Same goes for any other special circumstances in life. (Take allergies, for example-if you''re deathly allergic to peanuts, you would make sure that whatever you were eating doesn''t have peanuts in it, right?) It''s all about personal responsibility.

Your subway example isn''t a good parallel because in a subway you can also stand. Not so in an airplane-you''re not allowed to stand in a flight. A tram is a form of public transportation similar to a subway as far as standing/sitting is concerned, so again, you can stand. Furthermore, both run continuously (if one''s too full you can catch the next one in 5/10/15 min.) and you don''t have to prebook a ticket, so again, not similar at all.

If we''re talking a train where a passenger purchases a ticket ahead of time for one seat but is spilling onto another seat then yes, they should have to either purchase another ticket or leave the train if more seats aren''t available.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
2/15/2010 8:57:32 PM
Author: MonkeyPie

I think they need to work on the seat issue, period. My brother is over 6 feet tall, and very broad shouldered. He isn't fat by any means, nowhere near, but he almost ALWAYS invades the seat of the person next to him because he is simply a big man. The difference is he tries to be polite, and he will lean away or only sit next to someone he knows that won't mind it. (If he sits next to me, his shoulders are above my head, so he prefers to sit by me if we can.)
It is really easy to make the issue about fat people because presumably they have a choice! I had a boyfriend who was 6' 6" and weighed 240-250 lbs.. He was not fat; his weight was proportionate to his height. He once got kind of wedged into a ride at a school fair, but amiably got himself out of it while people laughed. He said he was too big to be taken anywhere. Airlines do, indeed, have to consider men like him. He was not too tall to serve in the United States armed forces. In the days of the draft, at 6'6" he was not exempt because of his height. He served for 4 years in the Coast Guard hitting his head on everything. If he was good enough for that he should be good enough to have a seat in an airplane.

Nowadays men are a lot bigger than they were when he was 18. Airlines are just greedy. They deliberately make seats small to fit in as many people as they can.

AGBF
34.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 12:14:18 PM
Author: AGBF

Date:

I think they need to work on the seat issue, period. My brother is over 6 feet tall, and very broad shouldered. He isn't fat by any means, nowhere near, but he almost ALWAYS invades the seat of the person next to him because he is simply a big man. The difference is he tries to be polite, and he will lean away or only sit next to someone he knows that won't mind it. (If he sits next to me, his shoulders are above my head, so he prefers to sit by me if we can.)
It is really easy to make the issue about fat people because presumably they have a choice! I had a boyfriend who was 6' 6' and weighed 240-250 lbs.. He was not fat; his weight was proportionate to his height. He once got kind of wedged into a ride at a school fair, but amiably got himself out of it while people laughed. He said he was too big to be taken anywhere. Airlines do, indeed, have to consider men like him. He was not to tall to serve in the United States armed forces. In the days of the draft, at 6'6' he was not exempt because of his height. He served for 4 years in the Coast Guard hitting his head on everything. If he was good enough for that he should be good enough to have a seat in an airplane.

Nowadays men are a lot bigger. Airlines are just greedy.

AGBF
34.gif
I agree with both of you. In a flight to Europe I was extremely uncomfortable sitting next to a large Dutch man. He wasn't fat at all, and was in extremely good shape, but he was probably 6'3"+ and had huge biceps. I was squished the whole flight even though he tried to fit in his seat as well as he could. You can easily be as uncomfortable next to a very tall person as you can next to a very overweight person.

Heck, I'm a size 6-8 and my hips are almost touching both armrests! Those seats wouldn't be comfortable even if everyone on the plane weighed 130lbs. I don't expect to be comfortable unless I'm in first class, but it would be nice to have reasonably sized seats. I don't see it happening though considering how poorly the airlines are doing financially.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
2/16/2010 12:17:44 PM
Author: elrohwen

Heck, I'm a size 6-8 and my hips are almost touching both armrests! Those seats wouldn't be comfortable even if everyone on the plane weighed 130lbs. I don't expect to be comfortable unless I'm in first class, but it would be nice to have reasonably sized seats. I don't see it happening though considering how poorly the airlines are doing financially.
Well...maybe there needs to be a consumer rebellion!

AGBF
34.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Look, he was NOT thrown off the flight because he was obese, he was thrown off the flight because HE REFUSED TO LOWER THE ARMREST (and his excuse was that he was too fat to lower it).

So, the bottom line is either you fit in the seat and you lower the armrest per the rules of take off and landing, or you don''t fit - and you don''t fly.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Thing2 - I''m not in it just to argue with you I promise.

I think my point is that there are any number of things that could cause you physical discomfort... you can''t discriminate against any one. If that person has to be somewhere by a certain deadline, and there''s only one seat left... they''ve every right to the one seat, and it''s not for any one other passenger to decide if they should be removed.

I also though think that there should be a universal policy that all should have to answer to, along with a set pricing for those who would require more than one seat.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 12:14:18 PM
Author: AGBF

Date:

I think they need to work on the seat issue, period. My brother is over 6 feet tall, and very broad shouldered. He isn''t fat by any means, nowhere near, but he almost ALWAYS invades the seat of the person next to him because he is simply a big man. The difference is he tries to be polite, and he will lean away or only sit next to someone he knows that won''t mind it. (If he sits next to me, his shoulders are above my head, so he prefers to sit by me if we can.)
It is really easy to make the issue about fat people because presumably they have a choice! I had a boyfriend who was 6'' 6'' and weighed 240-250 lbs.. He was not fat; his weight was proportionate to his height. He once got kind of wedged into a ride at a school fair, but amiably got himself out of it while people laughed. He said he was too big to be taken anywhere. Airlines do, indeed, have to consider men like him. He was not too tall to serve in the United States armed forces. In the days of the draft, at 6''6'' he was not exempt because of his height. He served for 4 years in the Coast Guard hitting his head on everything. If he was good enough for that he should be good enough to have a seat in an airplane.

Nowadays men are a lot bigger than they were when he was 18. Airlines are just greedy. They deliberately make seats small to fit in as many people as they can.

AGBF
34.gif
First of all, I agree with what PP said above. There are safety rules. You don''t rollow the rules, then sorry, you don''t play.

As far as airlines greed, I used to say airlines are a business. Flying at the end of the day is a privilege...you don''t have a RIGHT to fly...you have to pay for it and play by the rules.

However, that being said, I''m fine with airlines being a business and being greedy and while it''s annoying, they have to make money somehow. BUT if they are going to take government bailouts, then they need to be more accomodating to the people who are paying for that bailout.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 12:24:06 PM
Author: purrfectpear
Look, he was NOT thrown off the flight because he was obese, he was thrown off the flight because HE REFUSED TO LOWER THE ARMREST (and his excuse was that he was too fat to lower it).

So, the bottom line is either you fit in the seat and you lower the armrest per the rules of take off and landing, or you don''t fit - and you don''t fly.

He actually did lower the armrests and they asked him to get off anyways. The people sitting next to him said that he was not bothering them at all with his weight.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
He *DID* play by "the rules". If they had worries about him fitting in one seat they NEVER should have boarded him into a full airplane STANDBY with only one seat available.

And he WAS able to fit in one seat with both armrests down and NO seatbelt extender. He''s challenged the airline to bring a row of seats to a late night talk show and let him PROVE he "fit" as required -- hmmmmm but they WON''T (so far).

I''ve avoided Southwest for this very reason -- based on their previous HORRIFIC reputation on the subject. I *fit* in one seat with the armrests down, no seat belt extender but I really don''t want someone eyeing me up & down & pulling me out of line *erroneously*. Much less dragging me off a full plane! Which is what happened to Kevin Smith.

His message: If you look like him, avoid Southwest. Fair point really. Skinny folk are welcomed to join the boycott in solidarity.
3.gif
Since 60+% of the country would fall into the "borderline" category they''re targeting (based on either height/weight/girth/shoulder brawn) -- good luck filling those planes!
11.gif

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
My friend got kicked off a flight once but he''s 6''10 and 380.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 12:40:25 PM

I think my point is that there are any number of things that could cause you physical discomfort... you can''t discriminate against any one. If that person has to be somewhere by a certain deadline, and there''s only one seat left... they''ve every right to the one seat, and it''s not for any one other passenger to decide if they should be removed.

I also though think that there should be a universal policy that all should have to answer to, along with a set pricing for those who would require more than one seat.

Um, perhaps this is the crux of your disagreement with Thing? Yes, companies CAN discriminate for many many many reasons. Airlines are for-profit companies (good point TG about bailout funding though), they can serve or decline service to anyone. A suspicious looking person, any feverish traveler, drunk fellow, noisy child? All can be denied access to a flight. Heck, I won''t be able to fly in a few weeks when I''m too pregnant to be allowed (for my safety and the convenience of others). Why would anyone think that discrimination is illegal? It is the norm and it is done for the safety and convenience of all.

I fly a ton (gold or platinum on three non-connected airlines) and always book an aisle seat; every time I take my seat it seems that a large male who is in the middle seat wants to trade with me. No thanks buster, learn to use the internets and book your own aisle seat. Yes, I do make fat people who don''t want to put the arm down put the arm down. I don''t care if they are embarrassed, it is a safety issue and I don''t snuggle with strangers. If a person is too big to fit in a seat he or she needs to save more and fly first class or pull a Forrest Gump and run across the country, I will not be gifting my very expensive and very limited extra centimeters.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

You''re really not making sense. PASSENGERS DON''T DECIDE WHO IS REMOVED-AIRLINES DO. No passenger decided to kick Kevin Smith off the plane. THE AIRLINE PERSONNEL DID. If the airline decides that one passenger is infringing on another passenger''s comfort, whether it''s because they''re obese or armrest hogs, they have the right to ask that person to leave if that person can''t be accommodated in any other way.

Southwest Airlines does have this universal policy you speak of. If a person is too big to fit into a seat with the armrests down, they have to buy two tickets. And then if the flight isn''t fully booked, the extra ticket cost is refunded.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 1:13:54 PM
Author: swimmer

Um, perhaps this is the crux of your disagreement with Thing? Yes, companies CAN discriminate for many many many reasons. Airlines are for-profit companies (good point TG about bailout funding though), they can serve or decline service to anyone. A suspicious looking person, any feverish traveler, drunk fellow, noisy child? All can be denied access to a flight. Heck, I won''t be able to fly in a few weeks when I''m too pregnant to be allowed (for my safety and the convenience of others). Why would anyone think that discrimination is illegal? It is the norm and it is done for the safety and convenience of all.

I fly a ton (gold or platinum on three non-connected airlines) and always book an aisle seat; every time I take my seat it seems that a large male who is in the middle seat wants to trade with me. No thanks buster, learn to use the internets and book your own aisle seat. Yes, I do make fat people who don''t want to put the arm down put the arm down. I don''t care if they are embarrassed, it is a safety issue and I don''t snuggle with strangers. If a person is too big to fit in a seat he or she needs to save more and fly first class or pull a Forrest Gump and run across the country, I will not be gifting my very expensive and very limited extra centimeters.

DITTO.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 1:01:19 PM
Author: decodelighted
He *DID* play by ''the rules''. If they had worries about him fitting in one seat they NEVER should have boarded him into a full airplane STANDBY with only one seat available.

And he WAS able to fit in one seat with both armrests down and NO seatbelt extender. He''s challenged the airline to bring a row of seats to a late night talk show and let him PROVE he ''fit'' as required -- hmmmmm but they WON''T (so far).

I''ve avoided Southwest for this very reason -- based on their previous HORRIFIC reputation on the subject. I *fit* in one seat with the armrests down, no seat belt extender but I really don''t want someone eyeing me up & down & pulling me out of line *erroneously*. Much less dragging me off a full plane! Which is what happened to Kevin Smith.

His message: If you look like him, avoid Southwest. Fair point really. Skinny folk are welcomed to join the boycott in solidarity.
3.gif
Since 60+% of the country would fall into the ''borderline'' category they''re targeting (based on either height/weight/girth/shoulder brawn) -- good luck filling those planes!
11.gif

ditto everything. I hope they do have him on a late night television show...(aside from jay leno...but that''s a whole nother can of worms lol)

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 1:20:14 PM
Author: thing2of2

DITTO.

My disagreement is with the statement "If someone is infringing on MY personal space then YES they should be kicked off" that is no longer the airline making a decision... it''s an individual.. and makes it come off as if one individual would take it upon themselves to request that to happen. At that point Thing2''s opinion was their own personal opinion based on what they think should happen no matter what the other person''s situation is, or what the airline might say. That was where I had a disagreement... because it comes off as very one sided, not caring about the other''s situation, or what the airline might have allowed.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 1:21:20 PM
Author: Smurfyimproved

He *DID* play by ''the rules''. If they had worries about him fitting in one seat they NEVER should have boarded him into a full airplane STANDBY with only one seat available.

And he WAS able to fit in one seat with both armrests down and NO seatbelt extender. He''s challenged the airline to bring a row of seats to a late night talk show and let him PROVE he ''fit'' as required -- hmmmmm but they WON''T (so far).

3.gif
Since 60+% of the country would fall into the ''borderline'' category they''re targeting (based on either height/weight/girth/shoulder brawn) -- good luck filling those planes!
11.gif

ditto everything. I hope they do have him on a late night television show...(aside from jay leno...but that''s a whole nother can of worms lol)
Deco, what''s worse? Being denied boarding or trying to see if he could fit and let him fly? As of now, there is no test to see if people can fit on a plane until they get there. I understand it is far more humiliating to be taken OFF the plane, but Southwest would have been under fire either way.

But yeah, it''s a matter of time that truly people won''t fit in those seats. Like it or not, people are getting bigger - so this is going to be more and more an issue.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 1:27:17 PM
Author: TravelingGal

He *DID* play by 'the rules'. If they had worries about him fitting in one seat they NEVER should have boarded him into a full airplane STANDBY with only one seat available.

And he WAS able to fit in one seat with both armrests down and NO seatbelt extender. He's challenged the airline to bring a row of seats to a late night talk show and let him PROVE he 'fit' as required -- hmmmmm but they WON'T (so far).

I've avoided Southwest for this very reason -- based on their previous HORRIFIC reputation on the subject. I *fit* in one seat with the armrests down, no seat belt extender but I really don't want someone eyeing me up & down & pulling me out of line *erroneously*. Much less dragging me off a full plane! Which is what happened to Kevin Smith.

3.gif
Since 60+% of the country would fall into the 'borderline' category they're targeting (based on either height/weight/girth/shoulder brawn) -- good luck filling those planes!
11.gif

ditto everything. I hope they do have him on a late night television show...(aside from jay leno...but that's a whole nother can of worms lol)
Deco, what's worse? Being denied boarding or trying to see if he could fit and let him fly? As of now, there is no test to see if people can fit on a plane until they get there. I understand it is far more humiliating to be taken OFF the plane, but Southwest would have been under fire either way.

But yeah, it's a matter of time that truly people won't fit in those seats. Like it or not, people are getting bigger - so this is going to be more and more an issue.

But the problem was that he could fit. He wasn't bothering anybody. On his twitter he even took a picture of himself sitting in one single airplane seat with the armrests down lol. There's really no reason he should have been taken off at all. I mean if he didn't fit, that would be a different story but southwest would not have apologized if they didn't have anything to apologize for. (etA: maybe they would to keep a good image, but they shouldn't! lol)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 1:37:13 PM

3.gif
11.gif

Deco, what''s worse? Being denied boarding or trying to see if he could fit and let him fly? As of now, there is no test to see if people can fit on a plane until they get there. I understand it is far more humiliating to be taken OFF the plane, but Southwest would have been under fire either way.

But yeah, it''s a matter of time that truly people won''t fit in those seats. Like it or not, people are getting bigger - so this is going to be more and more an issue.

But the problem was that he could fit. He wasn''t bothering anybody. On his twitter he even took a picture of himself sitting in one single airplane seat with the armrests down lol. There''s really no reason he should have been taken off at all. I mean if he didn''t fit, that would be a different story but southwest would not have apologized if they didn''t have anything to apologize for.
Sure, they would...it''s called PR.

I haven''t read the details, so I should do that before I spout my mouth off further.
3.gif

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 1:41:40 PM
Date: 2/16/2010 1:37:13 PM

He *DID* play by 'the rules'. If they had worries about him fitting in one seat they NEVER should have boarded him into a full airplane STANDBY with only one seat available.

And he WAS able to fit in one seat with both armrests down and NO seatbelt extender. He's challenged the airline to bring a row of seats to a late night talk show and let him PROVE he 'fit' as required -- hmmmmm but they WON'T (so far).

I've avoided Southwest for this very reason -- based on their previous HORRIFIC reputation on the subject. I *fit* in one seat with the armrests down, no seat belt extender but I really don't want someone eyeing me up & down & pulling me out of line *erroneously*. Much less dragging me off a full plane! Which is what happened to Kevin Smith.

3.gif
Since 60+% of the country would fall into the 'borderline' category they're targeting (based on either height/weight/girth/shoulder brawn) -- good luck filling those planes!
11.gif

ditto everything. I hope they do have him on a late night television show...(aside from jay leno...but that's a whole nother can of worms lol)
Deco, what's worse? Being denied boarding or trying to see if he could fit and let him fly? As of now, there is no test to see if people can fit on a plane until they get there. I understand it is far more humiliating to be taken OFF the plane, but Southwest would have been under fire either way.

But yeah, it's a matter of time that truly people won't fit in those seats. Like it or not, people are getting bigger - so this is going to be more and more an issue.

But the problem was that he could fit. He wasn't bothering anybody. On his twitter he even took a picture of himself sitting in one single airplane seat with the armrests down lol. There's really no reason he should have been taken off at all. I mean if he didn't fit, that would be a different story but southwest would not have apologized if they didn't have anything to apologize for.
Sure, they would...it's called PR.

I haven't read the details, so I should do that before I spout my mouth off further.
3.gif

I think you and I were typing at the same time, check out my eta lol
side note: what does eta mean? I use it all the time but don't know what it stands for, only that it's an afterthought lol

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
ETA: Edited to add

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 1:47:35 PM
Author: Clairitek
ETA: Edited to add

thank you
1.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 1:26:08 PM

DITTO.

My disagreement is with the statement ''If someone is infringing on MY personal space then YES they should be kicked off'' that is no longer the airline making a decision... it''s an individual.. and makes it come off as if one individual would take it upon themselves to request that to happen. At that point Thing2''s opinion was their own personal opinion based on what they think should happen no matter what the other person''s situation is, or what the airline might say. That was where I had a disagreement... because it comes off as very one sided, not caring about the other''s situation, or what the airline might have allowed.

The statement you''re referring to is called an OPINION, not a decision.

I don''t have the power to kick another individual off a plane. (Sadly!) But if I were extremely uncomfortable because of someone next to me no matter what the reason, I would absolutely complain about it to a flight attendant. I''ve done it before and I''ll do it again. It''s up to the flight attendant or pilot to decide how to proceed.

I''m sure it''s a bummer to be kicked off an airplane because you can''t fit in a seat-however, that doesn''t mean my comfort should be disregarded for the sake of an obese passenger''s feelings.

You''re really grasping at straws here.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 1:26:08 PM

Thing2 - I'm not in it just to argue with you I promise.

I think my point is that there are any number of things that could cause you physical discomfort... you can't discriminate against any one. If that person has to be somewhere by a certain deadline, and there's only one seat left... they've every right to the one seat, and it's not for any one other passenger to decide if they should be removed.

Um, perhaps this is the crux of your disagreement with Thing? Yes, companies CAN discriminate for many many many reasons. Airlines are for-profit companies (good point TG about bailout funding though), they can serve or decline service to anyone. A suspicious looking person, any feverish traveler, drunk fellow, noisy child? All can be denied access to a flight. Heck, I won't be able to fly in a few weeks when I'm too pregnant to be allowed (for my safety and the convenience of others). Why would anyone think that discrimination is illegal? It is the norm and it is done for the safety and convenience of all.

I fly a ton (gold or platinum on three non-connected airlines) and always book an aisle seat; every time I take my seat it seems that a large male who is in the middle seat wants to trade with me. No thanks buster, learn to use the internets and book your own aisle seat. Yes, I do make fat people who don't want to put the arm down put the arm down. I don't care if they are embarrassed, it is a safety issue and I don't snuggle with strangers. If a person is too big to fit in a seat he or she needs to save more and fly first class or pull a Forrest Gump and run across the country, I will not be gifting my very expensive and very limited extra centimeters.

DITTO.

My disagreement is with the statement 'If someone is infringing on MY personal space then YES they should be kicked off' that is no longer the airline making a decision... it's an individual.. and makes it come off as if one individual would take it upon themselves to request that to happen. At that point Thing2's opinion was their own personal opinion based on what they think should happen no matter what the other person's situation is, or what the airline might say. That was where I had a disagreement... because it comes off as very one sided, not caring about the other's situation, or what the airline might have allowed.

Please explain to me why Thing2 has to put someone else's needs/feelings ahead of her own in this sort of situation? I am of the same opinion as Thing2 that I don't think its fair for an overweight person to spill over into my seat. I paid for that space, its mine for the duration of that flight provided I follow the same rules and guidelines as every other passenger. Just because I feel this way it doesn't mean that I'll take it upon myself to get said overweight person kicked off of the plane! It also doesn't make me selfish and insensitive, as you implied Thing2 is being.

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Does anybody else think it is strange that this all happened over their twitter accounts??? I mean an airline issuing an apology over its twitter feed? I''m only 25 and I''m starting to feel old...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results