shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS Reports - Different Types??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nichihan

Rough_Rock

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/20/2005 5:01:48 PM
Author:nichihan
Hi, I am currently in the market to buy an engagement ring. I want to buy an AGSL ideal stone. One of the questions that popped up is why there are two different AGS Diamond Quality Documents. Please see the reports on below links:

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00946099&keyword_search_value=LD00946099

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00957050

Why are they different? Can one of them be fake?

Please help.

/John
No worries. They are both legit. LD00946099 has an AGS DQD from the old cut-grading metric (proportions-based). LD00957050 is more recent, and is performance-based.

nichihan

Rough_Rock
Awesome. And are there market-value differences between the two?

Thank you so much for the quick reply.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
The differences are entirely to do with cut assessment.

Under the old AGS metric (1996-2005 - though they will still grade according to it by request), a diamond was graded entirely by its proportions and finish details.

Proportions
Polish
Symmetry

In the new metric (began July 2005), a diamond now must pass direct light performance assessment, proportions (now values associated with weight ratio, durability, tilt, girdle and culet) and finish (polish/symmetry combined into the one overall grade)

Light Performance
Proportions
Finish

Here''s a thread that explains what is different about the new DQD.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/20/2005 5:17:53 PM
Author: nichihan
Awesome. And are there market-value differences between the two?

Thank you so much for the quick reply.
You're welcome.
1.gif

Many people would say there is value-add in the new DQD, as it features the direct light-performance measure. A diamond is a diamond though.

There is nothing saying the diamond with the older DQD would not have received 0 in light performance, although the report is dated August of '05, which implies that it could have been assessed in the new metric but was not.

Edited to add: It's hard to read the angles, but it looks like the diamond with the older DQD may not have proportions that allow strong enough performance to acquire the 0 light performance rating in the new metric. This case may be a good example of how the new metric is more discriminating than the old.

Even between diamonds with equal stats I suggest that the newer DQD is a stronger document.

nichihan

Rough_Rock
Wow, there''s just a goldmine of helpful posters on this forum. Thank you so much.

Thing is, I''ve already purchased the first diamond and is expecting delivery on Christmas Eve. I am willing to send back to exchange for a better stone if it''s a subpar piece. Overall, do you feel that it''s worth the $8,200 price tag?

Thanks again.

/j

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey john
35.gif

you can get an idea of pricing by using the ''pricescope your diamond'' feature at the top of this page.
enjoy your new rock!
36.gif

nichihan

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot guys. Some of my friends are getting married soon as well and I''ll be sure to mention this site to them.

I have a dumb question - based on the numbers given, is the first diamond posted above likely a H&A?

The ring should be arriving tomorrow (Christmas Eve). God I hope she''ll like it. Wish me luck.
1.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/23/2005 2:37:32 PM
Author: nichihan
Thanks a lot guys. Some of my friends are getting married soon as well and I'll be sure to mention this site to them.

I have a dumb question - based on the numbers given, is the first diamond posted above likely a H&A?

The ring should be arriving tomorrow (Christmas Eve). God I hope she'll like it. Wish me luck.
1.gif
Re: H&A. No way to tell unless you have seen crown and pavilion reflector photos, or the dealer guarantees it to meet certain standards. However, the optical precision of cut required to acquire H&A does not mean, by itself, that the diamond will be a better performer than if it were not H&A. Not something to be over-concerned about, especially if you already have the diamond.

More H&A info here.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results