shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS fluorescence: negligible… but I see bright blue?

nojs

Shiny_Rock
Correct for blue fluorescenct diamonds.
Nojos
can you photo on black please

Diamonds on black surface? Or just the pink fluorescence one? I already tried it on it’s own just holding it from the chain and it definitely glows pink. But I try to get the 365 nm torch to compare.

I can try to photograph it today again.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diamonds on black surface? Or just the pink fluorescence one? I already tried it on it’s own just holding it from the chain and it definitely glows pink. But I try to get the 365 nm torch to compare.

I can try to photograph it today again.

A matt black surface with no ambient light will get the best results.

nojs

Shiny_Rock

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I also found this old thread:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/phosphorescence-not-as-rare.272728/#post-5109903

Same as with the OP of that thread, the pick one doesn’t have phosphorescence. I can’t “charge it up”.

I’m so much looking forward to finding myself a 365 nm torch to compare results.

Fluorescence and phosphorescence are the coolest features ever and they make me love these little rocks even more.

None of the torches will be 365nm.
Ones like this that cost way more might be about 380nm

nojs

Shiny_Rock
Diamonds in general respond more to 395-400nm than 365nm they are in the exception mentioned in the article.

But wouldn’t this still apply:
The 395 nm LED emits a pronounced violet-colored light, while the 365 nm LED emits a dull, bluish-white light (the result of residual light energy that "tails" off into the visible spectrum).

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
But wouldn’t this still apply:
The 395 nm LED emits a pronounced violet-colored light, while the 365 nm LED emits a dull, bluish-white light (the result of residual light energy that "tails" off into the visible spectrum).
yes, sorry about that, I was responding to another part of it.

nojs

Shiny_Rock
None of the torches will be 365nm.
Ones like this that cost way more might be about 380nm

Sorry are you saying the the OP of that thread likely used a cheap 395 nm torch (which I agree with) or that I’m not likely to find a proper 365 nm UV light without spending a fortune? :)

nojs

Shiny_Rock
yes, sorry about that, I was responding to another part of it.

Is this the reason GIA is using 365 nm (if I remember correctly from earlier in this thread)?

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Also, since I made that thread, I have acquired a GIA “faint” and a GIA “strong blue” diamonds. The “faint” is actually quite blue under UV (I would not describe as faint… more like medium) and the “strong blue” is even more blue. My “strong blue” does look blue on bright sunlight. I love it lol The “faint” looks whiter in bright sunlight but not blue.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Is this the reason GIA is using 365 nm (if I remember correctly from earlier in this thread)?

GIA have never openly declared they changed to 385nm but its in all their patents and I believe they may have

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
these get the very best effect but are dangerous:

nojs

Shiny_Rock
GIA have never openly declared they changed to 385nm but its in all their patents and I believe they may have

So if I buy the one you linked from Amazon or even a more expensive one titled for professional use I should get similar results as they get in GIA? :)

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
It’s so frustrating because the phone camera does NOT capture what I see with my eyes.

Two top pics are the stones on my fingers (faint is set into a ring, SB is in a stone holder). The bottom two pics are on a matte black surface. None of these pics really show what I see with my eyes. I don’t know why it’s looking green in some of these pics because it’s all blue to my eyes. Also the phone camera I think goes nuts trying to capture the BRIGHT blue from the SB one lol 9B393329-0FF9-4512-B136-11CBC3C0A771.jpeg

nojs

Shiny_Rock
Also, since I made that thread, I have acquired a GIA “faint” and a GIA “strong blue” diamonds. The “faint” is actually quite blue under UV (I would not describe as faint… more like medium) and the “strong blue” is even more blue. My “strong blue” does look blue on bright sunlight. I love it lol The “faint” looks whiter in bright sunlight but not blue.

What color grades do they have from
GIA? Just curious :)

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
these get the very best effect but are dangerous:

I got little kids and they point flash lights in their faces so I’m not gonna get this one despite my curiosity LOL

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
So if I buy the one you linked from Amazon or even a more expensive one titled for professional use I should get similar results as they get in GIA? :)

possibly, however I believe the information from the cheapest is more relevant because that type of UV is all around us and passes through windows etc

nojs

Shiny_Rock
It’s so frustrating because the phone camera does NOT capture what I see with my eyes.

Two top pics are the stones on my fingers (faint is set into a ring, SB is in a stone holder). The bottom two pics are on a matte black surface. None of these pics really show what I see with my eyes. I don’t know why it’s looking green in some of these pics because it’s all blue to my eyes. Also the phone camera I think goes nuts trying to capture the BRIGHT blue from the SB one lol 9B393329-0FF9-4512-B136-11CBC3C0A771.jpeg

Incredibly cool! Do they have phosphorescence as well? If so, what colors and how long to you charge them with the light?

I’m mesmerised by these cool effects :kiss2:

nojs

Shiny_Rock
Faint and strong blue

I meant the letter (D-Z). Because I was thinking if nitrogen is causing fluorescence (I read this from internet but I’m not sure if it is true) shouldn’t lower letters fluorescence more. Yet this doesn’t seem to be the case.

I’m also very curious if the trade members know if there is any studies done on phosphorescence?

nojs

Shiny_Rock
try pointing the UV light from an oblique angle so there is no so much of the bright background> Get closer with phone if you can?

I tried this. I can’t capture the pink properly on my phone but my eyes see it.

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Incredibly cool! Do they have phosphorescence as well? If so, what colors and how long to you charge them with the light?

I’m mesmerised by these cool effects :kiss2:

Yes, they do… once again, very frustrating because the glow stays a lot longer to my eyes than what the camera can capture but I just took this video thinking it may be easier to see. I charged them for like 10-15 sec? Not long at all. I imagine if I charged them for longer, the glow will stay longer. SB on top and Faint on the bottom in the video. I feel like perhaps the GIA N Faint appears to phosphoresce yellow because it is an N and has a yellow hue to start with?

Last edited:

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
I meant the letter (D-Z). Because I was thinking if nitrogen is causing fluorescence (I read this from internet but I’m not sure if it is true) shouldn’t lower letters fluorescence more. Yet this doesn’t seem to be the case.

I’m also very curious if the trade members know if there is any studies done on phosphorescence?

Ah, sorry! Misunderstood. Faint is a GIA N and SB is a GIA J. They are both genuine old mine cuts.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results