shape
carat
color
clarity

Phosphorescence - not as rare??

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
I have preschooler and recently, my brother got him a set of invisible ink pens that have a small UV light attached to the cap.

I recently got an Edwardian 3 stone ring (estimated I-J) and I had suspected that one of the old mine pears had fluorescence as that stone looked so white when in direct sunlight. So, I took the UV light and played around with the ring and realized that the OMC in the middle as well as one of the pears had strong fluorescence. Once I turned off the light, I realized both of those stones also had phosphorescence as it continued to glow yellow/orange once the light was turned off.

CB81093B-284E-497D-A9DF-47158067EABC.jpeg

So then I got curious as to the fluorescence of my other bands (as I have a bunch of bands with different size and shapes). Well, it turns out quite a few of them have fluorescence and they pretty much ALL also have phosphorescence.
D587E558-D65C-44A9-8DBE-9C8FF260C050.jpeg
A279408D-D31E-47C7-963E-B9E4079222A6.jpeg
1F9FB5EC-86EA-4F8E-BD95-D4E65147CC50.jpeg
8C407968-F394-4630-8138-5F855E4657EB.jpeg

It’s incredibly hard to capture this particular fluorescence color on camera but it’s actually pink and this one does NOT have phosphorescence.
857892DE-0315-4AD8-BAA5-8CFA97D090A8.jpeg

Similarly, I realized that a bunch of the stones in my small tcw tennis bracelet have fluorescence and they all have phosphorescence except the ONE stone that also has PINK florescence (didn’t bother taking pics of all of the stones in the tennis bracelet as it’s quite a lot).

Lastly, I have a 2 ct GIA M asscher where GIA notes “none” for fluorescence. However, to my eyes, it actually has a very slight YELLOW fluorescence (also impossible to capture the actual color on camera) that appears to have faint pinkish phosphorescence.
C6F817D2-A6A7-4A8F-B9C8-6BF5D2118381.jpeg

All in all, I have no idea what to make of this and I am wondering if it’s whatever UV rays that are being used in these pens that are accentuating the fluorescence as well as phosphorescence??? It’s these cheap ones off of Amazon lol

Also wanted to add that I have 2 bracelets from VCA with pave on them as well as a few Cartier pieces with melee and NONE of them have any fluorescence (in total it’s probably about 100+ stones). I am wondering if these high end houses weed out any melee with fluorescence as I know that fluorescence in high color grade stones (DEF) is sometimes seen as a negative.

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes in many cases the cheap uv light(~400nm)
will excite the stone more than an uv grading lamp(365nm.)
Since the stone is more excited it could impact phosphorescence but I have not seen any study results saying so.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
fyi 3pm today and is rumered to have some interesting uv info planned

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Yes in many cases the cheap uv light(~400nm)
will excite the stone more than an uv grading lamp(365nm.)
Since the stone is more excited it could impact phosphorescence but I have not seen any study results saying so.

fyi 3pm today and is rumered to have some interesting uv info planned

Interesting! I did not realize that cheap UV lights would excite the stone more! I will try to attend the webinar today (work permitting).

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I wanted to add good job on the photography.

To answer the last part of your post, yes some brands/makers do sort it out even for melee.
Or even its very faint under ~365nm it could be more visible under 400nm which could explain it with some makers.
Or it could also be just luck.

I have seen Tiffany bands and bracelets light up like Christmas trees under cheap uv lights(400nm).

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Interesting post @Muluver. Thanks for the effort in posting. I second @Karl_K on the photography. Great job.

Your phosphorescence observations are certainly noteworthy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results