Afghan Tourmaline Ring Handshots

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lickout: Its really lovely! the stone really glows :sun:

-A

oranges

Brilliant_Rock
gorgeous gem!!! that ring is spectacular!

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Truly stunning piece! That stone glows from a mile away...

Love the frog picture, so cute!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Oh WOW!! They did a wonderful job. I love it...!!! :cheeky: :love:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OOOH! It is beautiful! :love:

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my, oh my! Really awesome in every way!
I love that frog shot... it really looks like they are worshipping it!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's absolutely gorgeous! Fabulous man's ring! I do think we need some "manshots" though. Preferably with tools!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring! :appl:

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Oddoneout.
TL This stone does indeed glow in all lighting, even in very dim light. ( btw- I'm sad to see your avatar has frozen - perhaps you're planning a new one?)
Kismet - I really enjoy looking at all the gem/ring flower pics posted on CS but I've been dreaming up all sorts of silly, and serious, photo situations for a man-ring, just for fun.
MAC- I always thought I would have a matt finish to the ring - Mike was quite adamant I should try it first in a polished finish, which he thought would look better, but happy to change the finish if I wasn't convinced.
Laila & Gailey- thanks for your nice comments
RH - I did wonder how the diamond detail would look finished and Mike sent me a number of addition pics with the diamonds drawn onto the ring in a couple of placement variations. The connection between the front and side has worked and made the ring interesting when viewed from any angle. Also I after a bit of humming and haaing in the early stages and considering cost differences, I went for D-E colour. Pleased I did that.
Chrono- In the intitial stages of the design I asked if the band shouldn't have been wider since I thought the stone might look too cramped on the band width as Mike had drawn it - I thought 'wider band= more of a man's ring'. He was quite adamant the band width as drawn was the right width and I can see that the proprtions are perfect.
Brandy & Vapid - Thank you. It's great to have friends say how much they admire my ring, but it's an extra thrill to get positive feedback from seasoned PSers.
Distinction - Wow, that is quite a compliment - thank you.
Icom & Velourial & Yingh - Glad you like the frog pic " The Dawn of Frogs" I should have called it. Although it's not a great technical shot I really like that pic too and I took lots of pics with the frogs as supporting actors. When I arranged them like that I was thinking of "The Dawn of Man" scene when the apes discover the monolith in the movie 2001 A Space Odyssey.
Stoniegirl - The ring is designed and manufactured by Robinson Designer Goldsmiths (RDG) in Auckland NZ. Ken, Mike and Dave are a father and sons business. Ken has been in the business for years and had worked at Chaumet. Mike and Dave, Ken's sons, design and manufacture.
Thanks Rockit, Y2 & MZ
Davi -Thank you and I'll keep you posted on the Phoenix.
Arjuna- Why don't you make contact with Mike, I let him know you'd mentioned you might contact them and he replied that he was looking forward to hearing from you. The specs are 2.39cts 8.3mm Super Trillion™ cut. Ring size.... I don't know, but I'll check and let you know.
Thanks for the good feedback SC, Packrat ,LTP, TY & Arcadian, Mochi, Marcy & LG - I repeat, it's heartening to have the positive responses from aficionados. Thanks too Oranges
Frekechild - :shock: :oops:

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring is exquisite, I love everything about it :love: :love: The stone is gorgeous and the design and execution of the ring magnificent :love: :love: :love: :appl: :appl:

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
klewis said:
Arjuna- Why don't you make contact with Mike, I let him know you'd mentioned you might contact them and he replied that he was looking forward to hearing from you. The specs are 2.39cts 8.3mm Super Trillion™ cut. Ring size.... I don't know, but I'll check and let you know.

Hey klewis,
oh wow that is really kind of you for mentioning to Mike my interest, thank you for doing so. :))
(and the specs on your trillion are precisely the size I would love in such a tourmaline) - I think that size stone looks great on your hand, and I agree that Mike's instincts for the band width were spot on. Everything is perfectly in proportion. :love:

I don't believe I have a gem special enough to send to them at this time, but I do have my 1.55ct OEC diamond which I love and needs setting..
he he, I have already sent an email (just to introduce myself). We will see how it goes.

Thanks again, and I'm personally looking forward to seeing any more pics you'd like to take! :wavey:

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I have no idea where you got that stone, but it's GORGEOUS! Amazing color!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is absolutely stunning. Great workmanship, too!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous colour!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Klewis...are you going to be setting that gorgeous red troumaline??

delayedreaction

Shiny_Rock
Awesome ring and great shots.

Maybe we guys should do cactus shots instead of flowers. Or a flowering cactus? :cheeky:

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Bling, Hoofbeats, Crasru & Harriet - I do appreciate your comments
Arjuna - Ring size is V or 10 3/4
Mochi - I'm not sure what to do about my red tourmaline, it's quite big, 9.36cts and a very serious red. In the meantime I'll take it out of its box sometimes and enjoy it. Thanks for asking.
Delayed - Hmmm, cactus shots could work but I don't have any cacti.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring looks just as lovely as I thought it would from your original pictures. Congratulations!!!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
klewis said:
Bling, Hoofbeats, Crasru & Harriet - I do appreciate your comments
Arjuna - Ring size is V or 10 3/4
Mochi - I'm not sure what to do about my red tourmaline, it's quite big, 9.36cts and a very serious red. In the meantime I'll take it out of its box sometimes and enjoy it. Thanks for asking.
Delayed - Hmmm, cactus shots could work but I don't have any cacti.

Thanks klewis for following up on the ring size - I must admit to being surprised (in a good way); in terms of proportions, for a size almost 11 finger that stone is looking a decent sight larger than 8.3mm to me..that bezel is really accentuating the size and shape of the stone, very impressive.

This makes me feel better about my own tourmaline search, as I wear a 5.75 and I was feeling like an 8mm would be too small :o

Ah, klewis you are in the beautiful green land of NZ - I am sure you can find some more backdrops for photos!
ha ha, no pressure but you know I'm keen to see more if you have time..

Cheers again and enjoy! ::)

pierreone

Shiny_Rock
I'm a little late to this thread, but wow! Great design and awesome color stone. I love seeing men's rings. Congrats on a gorgeous piece.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Klewis, how did you come across this jeweler? Since James Meyer may not be working with customer's stones any longer, I would like to find a jeweler of the same class and style. Did you browse different websites? I bought a book on designers, but their style may not suit my better stones. And I am going to buy a very nice stone.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Cind11 said:
Your ring looks just as lovely as I thought it would from your original pictures. Congratulations!!!

Thanks Cind I fitted Reveal light bulbs in strategic places around our home for an enhance-ogling-experience, but I need a suitable event to wear it to - I must remember to mention this to Wills & Kate.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
arjunajane said:
Ah, klewis you are in the beautiful green land of NZ - I am sure you can find some more backdrops for photos!
ha ha, no pressure but you know I'm keen to see more if you have time..

Cheers again and enjoy! ::)

Thanks Arjuna, I'll work on it!

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Pierre and RBH =)

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
crasru said:
Klewis, how did you come across this jeweler? Since James Meyer may not be working with customer's stones any longer, I would like to find a jeweler of the same class and style. Did you browse different websites? I bought a book on designers, but their style may not suit my better stones. And I am going to buy a very nice stone.

I had browsed lots of websites but I needed to find a jeweler in my own country because importing a ring was going to incur taxes that would have added to the cost. So, my search had stalled and I had all but given up when I stumbled across RDG. Obviously I can't speak for RDG and they have a policy that states they don't work with clients stones or metals, but I think they're open to bending the rule for a good stone and an interesting project. Crasu, are you living in the US? Now you have me chomping at the bit, wondering about your impending purchase :?:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the US. And I am on the verge of buying a (hopefully) nice sapphire. And I have just bought two nice stones from Gene.

Jeff Meyer did an excellent job but I must have made a mistake due to my easygoing nature. I was not in a hurry and said I would be fine waiting because I was not getting engaged. So naturally, there were many people who were getting engaged and he had to work on their projects first. And now the ring is finished but he is not working with customers' stones. Had I been more assertive, I could have had two rings from him! They are of unbelievable quality.

And BTW - re. flower pics, they are almost standard and would not fit a "manly" stone. Do you have a manly dog? A German Shepherd, for example? I think that photo of a man's hand with the ring on a dog's fur would look appealing! Or else, you could use one of local "exotic" animals.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
PERFECTION! I.am.in.love.with.your.ring!!!!

Lori

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
crasru said:
In the US. And I am on the verge of buying a (hopefully) nice sapphire. And I have just bought two nice stones from Gene.

Jeff Meyer did an excellent job but I must have made a mistake due to my easygoing nature. I was not in a hurry and said I would be fine waiting because I was not getting engaged. So naturally, there were many people who were getting engaged and he had to work on their projects first. And now the ring is finished but he is not working with customers' stones. Had I been more assertive, I could have had two rings from him! They are of unbelievable quality.

And BTW - re. flower pics, they are almost standard and would not fit a "manly" stone. Do you have a manly dog? A German Shepherd, for example? I think that photo of a man's hand with the ring on a dog's fur would look appealing! Or else, you could use one of local "exotic" animals.

Thanks for the suggestions. Oh no, my dog isn't manly enough - poor Fefe!! - just kidding. Apart from the bat we have no indigenous mammaIs which leaves birds lizards and insects.... hmmmm. I thought a hand shot on elephant, rhino or other rough skinned animal might be suitable but it would take some time to set up, hand shot on snarling carnivore; lion, tiger etc; on the other hand :naughty: I'll stick with Arjuna's suggestion of local scenery. In case anyone thinks I'm in need of therapy, I'm really not concerned whether my photo's look manly enough

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
loriken214 said:
PERFECTION! I.am.in.love.with.your.ring!!!!

Lori

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results