shape
carat
color
clarity

Affordable ways to get a 2ct Ring

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
So it has always been my dream to have a 2-2.5 carat diamond solitaire.

I have been considering upgrading my 1ct Pear. I spoke to the jeweller who sold it to us and he said it is doable to trade with him on a larger stone but after reading some websites and some threads on here it seems you lose quite a bit in the exchange.

In the meantime I have been trawling auction sites, etsy etc. as here in Australia there doesn't seem to be the volume of jewellery in the USA and UK.

I have some time to wait before I can afford to get this ring (unless one comes up on a zip pay or similar)

I don't have a certain set of criteria really. I have a few shapes I don't want (marquis, heart,)

I am prepared to put up with more warmth than I would in my 1ct (which is F and VS1) and as long as it was fairly eye clean and sparkled also a lower clarity score because I am never going to be able to afford that size in a really clean diamond.

Some of the Art Deco pieces that appeal to me seem to have very reasonable prices. I have found 1-2 that are around the 4-4.5k AUD tend to be around the SI range for inclusions but not seeing them in person I am not sure how much they sparkle although I love the chunky facets on OEC stones.

I don't even mind if it isn't just a solitaire but has a central stone of at least 1.8.

So I guess this is a bit of a ramble but wondering if anyone has advice on where to hunt for something like this.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a very personal decision, and I'm not trying to influence you in any way, but I would caution you to be very sure before you do a trade. I've done it 3 times, but there is one trade I really regret. I just don't want you to have any regrets. Hope everything works out the way you wish.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
It's a very personal decision, and I'm not trying to influence you in any way, but I would caution you to be very sure before you do a trade. I've done it 3 times, but there is one trade I really regret. I just don't want you to have any regrets. Hope everything works out the way you wish.

Thanks Diamond Girl 21. I am seeking to avoid a trade a buy a separate ring. It will take me longer to save for it but as you say I won't have any regrets.

I am hunting on Etsy, auction sites and Loupetroupe etc to see if something in that range comes up.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I know at one point Alex with Parks Fine Group has a weird 2 ct OEC for $2k USD. Might be worth it to follow him. I tried to buy it but it went before I could figure out how to use IG. :(

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
I know at one point Alex with Parks Fine Group has a weird 2 ct OEC for $2k USD. Might be worth it to follow him. I tried to buy it but it went before I could figure out how to use IG. :(

Thanks will check that out

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
I too wished for a 2ct for a long time but without paying the high prices . Finally I went with a GIA L/SI1 from ID Jewelry . I am OK with the ring , not super happy as it shows some tint indoors and although it is GIA triple excellent cut the sparkle is average . But I am happy with the size at least . usually you get what you pay for .So my advice is Dont rush into buying .

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
I too wished for a 2ct for a long time but without paying the high prices . Finally I went with a GIA L/SI1 from ID Jewelry . I am OK with the ring , not super happy as it shows some tint indoors and although it is GIA triple excellent cut the sparkle is average . But I am happy with the size at least . usually you get what you pay for .So my advice is Dont rush into buying .

Thanks I am going to try and take a look at some of these different coloured diamonds in reality before purchasing anything. I have accepted I will need to have warmth which I actually like in the OEC OMC styles so leaning to an Art Deco ring. I just need to find one in my budget which is under 5k Australian so it will likely take me a good long while.

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
So, when it’s possible, check out some stone colors in person. I have a R colored AVR(basically an ideal OEC) and I love it! However, I recently ordered a J MRB and it’s going back- the tint was just too much for me in that cut.
Personally, I would focus more on cut, clarity and color in that order before just the carat weight. I mean no disrespect what so ever, but to me, a beautiful, sparkling 1 carat looks much more appealing (and expensive/luxurious) than an obviously tinted and included 2 carat with a mediocre cut. That being said, everyone is different, so I hope you find exactly what you’re searching for ❤️

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With the Aussie dollar being so low - sad face- and don’t forget about GST / import taxes (10 to 15%) unfortunately $5,000 AUD isn’t going to go far.
I’d keep saving and pray the $A recovers.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you I know the Aussie dollar is not my friend at the moment.

I actually love some of the grey and buttery diamonds I have seen online but agree I need to see them in person.

Loving OEC cuts as well

I am just at the start of my saving journey I blew my first lot of savings on a PS members Art Deco dinner ring which is sitting in Miami departures at the moment :razz:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Pennyc -

There is currently a 2ct light yellow radiant diamond for sale on LoupeTroop for $5500. Best bargain I've seen in ages. Jump on it!

ETA I know this isn't under 5k Australian (which I don't think is realistic, sadly, for something you'd actually want to wear), but you might be able to work out a payment plan.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks I had not considered a yellow diamond. I like the buttery M grade OEC diamonds but I will take a look at the ones above.
@Pennyc -

There is currently a 2ct light yellow radiant diamond for sale on LoupeTroop for $5500. Best bargain I've seen in ages. Jump on it!

ETA I know this isn't under 5k Australian (which I don't think is realistic, sadly, for something you'd actually want to wear), but you might be able to work out a payment plan.

I know you are likely right I figure I will probably need to wait for the AUD to recover a little bit. Lord knows when that will be. Thought I would look for a bargain in the meantime.

Thank you I will go and check that one out right now.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
How do you feel about lab grown diamonds? If you have any interest, you can check out some threads in the lab grown/man made diamonds section of Pricescope.

GossamerAngel

Shiny_Rock
Is it gauche here to suggest a lab diamond? That's what I would be looking at for sure.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it gauche here to suggest a lab diamond? That's what I would be looking at for sure.

You’re not getting a 2 ct lab diamond for that price either.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
+1 for lab and/or pre-loved diamond.

If you're looking for coverage and are open to non-solitaire options, a halo or 3 stone would give you the coverage and bling factor you're looking for as well!

A lot of people gravitate to carat/size, but personally I don't think it's worth sacrificing the other Cs especially since you're used to having such a high quality diamond.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
+1 for lab and/or pre-loved diamond.

If you're looking for coverage and are open to non-solitaire options, a halo or 3 stone would give you the coverage and bling factor you're looking for as well!

A lot of people gravitate to carat/size, but personally I don't think it's worth sacrificing the other Cs especially since you're used to having such a high quality diamond.

Thank you perhaps this is what I need to consider and perhaps wait until I can really afford something I will love. @dk168 posted two options that would be great but my budget isn't there so I might be waiting awhile longer.

Considering what you have said @MRBXXXFVVS1 it might be worth adding to my 1ct pear instead. Either a halo or side stones. Halo will probably give me the most sparkle for my money as the stones are smaller. May need to research Inspo pics for this instead of diamonds I can't afford at the moment.

This is my current e-ring. I want to reset it in white gold or platinum anyway.Maybe a halo is the way to go

IMG_5810.JPG

I am tossing up trying to get a vintage halo look something like this but need to research more. I love the Art Deco period look I also don't want to halo to overwhelm the centre stone.

Vintage halo.jpg

Last edited:

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
I am reaching out to a couple of jewellers with semi mounts as this may be the most affordable option for the moment until I can save for a larger stone.

I am chatting with Ivy and Rose as well as Lord of the Gems I have seen both mentioned on here.

I am also looking at second hand settings but there are not a lot that would work with a pear or can be modified out there.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
@Pennyc Check out David Klass, he's made some beautiful settings for PSers.

You could do a halo with larger stones or a double halo, as well as diamonds on the band/shank to get the biggest bling impact. Generally, melee stones aren't *too* expensive. Can't wait to see the end result!

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
I follow him on IG so will scroll through his work thank you

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you’re having a ring mount made overseas, for a pear shape you may need to send your diamond over so the mount can be properly made to fit. Insured shipping isn’t cheap!
This can then cause a customs issue when you re import the completed ring. You may be hit for GST / Customs (10 - 15 % plus processing fee) on the whole insured value of the ring upon return, not just the value of the setting.
Of course you can then apply to Customs to reduce the levy, after you prove that the diamond was yours and just reimported, but that takes time and is like getting blood from a stone!

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
Thank you perhaps this is what I need to consider and perhaps wait until I can really afford something I will love. @dk168 posted two options that would be great but my budget isn't there so I might be waiting awhile longer.

Considering what you have said @MRBXXXFVVS1 it might be worth adding to my 1ct pear instead. Either a halo or side stones. Halo will probably give me the most sparkle for my money as the stones are smaller. May need to research Inspo pics for this instead of diamonds I can't afford at the moment.

This is my current e-ring. I want to reset it in white gold or platinum anyway.Maybe a halo is the way to go

IMG_5810.JPG

I am tossing up trying to get a vintage halo look something like this but need to research more. I love the Art Deco period look I also don't want to halo to overwhelm the centre stone.

Vintage halo.jpg

That’s what I would do. I think pears look their best when they are in halos! You would definitely get more finger coverage and more sparkle with a halo without spending the money on a bigger stone. Your stone is very pretty!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Do you mind if I ask what makes you regret the trade? I’m selling some stuff now but don’t want to do anything I’ll regret >.<

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you mind if I ask what makes you regret the trade? I’m selling some stuff now but don’t want to do anything I’ll regret >.<

Sure, no problem. I'm happy to share. I still really liked that particular diamond, and didn't feel the trade in value was worth giving up the stone. Although I love my new diamond even more, I wish I kept the old one and repurposed it. I really didn't feel that way about the other diamonds. I was happy to let them go. So, I guess my advice is if you are hesitant at all, hang on to it until you're completely sure. Hope all goes well for you.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure, no problem. I'm happy to share. I still really liked that particular diamond, and didn't feel the trade in value was worth giving up the stone. Although I love my new diamond even more, I wish I kept the old one and repurposed it. I really didn't feel that way about the other diamonds. I was happy to let them go. So, I guess my advice is if you are hesitant at all, hang on to it until you're completely sure. Hope all goes well for you.

Very good advice. Thank you for sharing!

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
If you’re having a ring mount made overseas, for a pear shape you may need to send your diamond over so the mount can be properly made to fit. Insured shipping isn’t cheap!
This can then cause a customs issue when you re import the completed ring. You may be hit for GST / Customs (10 - 15 % plus processing fee) on the whole insured value of the ring upon return, not just the value of the setting.
Of course you can then apply to Customs to reduce the levy, after you prove that the diamond was yours and just reimported, but that takes time and is like getting blood from a stone!

I fortunately have the GIA certificate with the exact specs so I wouldn't send my stone over I will be approaching a couple of local jewellers I know to see what they would charge to reset it in any ring I had sent to Australia. Hopefully with the GIA specs it won't be too far off

That’s what I would do. I think pears look their best when they are in halos! You would definitely get more finger coverage and more sparkle with a halo without spending the money on a bigger stone. Your stone is very pretty!

Thank you it is a really nice stone. I have a sapphire in a halo and love the look of that. I am tossing up a halo and some pave on the band or one of the more Art Deco settings depending on what Ivy and Rose say.

I will reach out to David as well and see what he thinks

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
A halo (or two) can really add presence! Look at what it does for this dinky pear! 4D36A793-E3F6-42AD-8401-79F546CF5C94.jpeg 87A22BA7-9412-4EC8-BC06-2A105295A3AE.jpeg

I do love the split shank. I am leaning towards a halo (or two) but don't want it to dwarf the stone just enhance it

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results