shape
carat
color
clarity

advise for working with a jeweler

dan1230

Rough_Rock
2 weeks ago I had no clue about diamonds, last week I found this site and have learned so much but still have a lot more research as i prepare to purchase an engagement ring. Through all my research, I'm getting more and more comfortable with the idea of buying a loose diamond online provided i find something I like but still would prefer to have it set locally. Of course, almost every friend i talk to "has a guy" they refer me to whether it be a someone at a jewelry exchange that gave them "an amazing deal" or the old Italian lady that sells out of her house (no joke). I've narrowed it down to 2 places-either a family friend of my girlfriend or a family friend of another very close friend of mine.

Thing is, as much as I like the idea of buying online and potentially saving a lot, I know that there are a lot of drawbacks to doing to not purchasing from the same person that sets it. I guess my question is what's the etiquette? I don't want to walk into the shop and essentially tell them, i'm sure you can never get the deal i think i can get online so can you just set my diamond for me? But I also don't want to go through the motions only to find out it's going to cost me a substantial amount more to purchase a diamond through them especially given the ties and then feel guilty. Ideally, I can work with them and they'll be able to find me the diamond i'm looking for at a reasonable price but in case that isn't the case, what's the best way to suggest the alternate route without offending or burning bridges?

proto

Shiny_Rock
You wont offend anyone.

You will want your diamond checked once received anyway. A GIA gemologist can do that for you and they should also have access to a bench jeweler that can set the stone for you.

I wouldn't want to buy a pre-set stone online except from a few merchants because I couldn't properly inspect the stone once set.

You may also wish to consider getting the diamond set by whoever is selling the setting (if separate from the diamond seller).

I would simply start calling around for quotes rather than go with a family friend who knows a guy/girl who can do it for you at a bargain price because its unlikely to be the best price.

Make sure whoever sets the diamond for you is insured for the setting process.

Expect to spend around USD 150 for checking the stone and insured setting (that was my personal experience).

dan1230

Rough_Rock
Awesome! That makes a lot of sense and helps ease my mind a bit. My girlfriend's friend's family business does a lot of custom work which is why getting the setting from them is appealing to me but I'll definitely do my own research as well. And yes, I would definitely want to have the place that I'm buying the setting from actually set the stone as well.

PS34one

Rough_Rock
dan1230|1470320677|4062461 said:
I guess my question is what's the etiquette? I don't want to walk into the shop and essentially tell them, i'm sure you can never get the deal i think i can get online so can you just set my diamond for me? But I also don't want to go through the motions only to find out it's going to cost me a substantial amount more to purchase a diamond through them especially given the ties and then feel guilty. Ideally, I can work with them and they'll be able to find me the diamond i'm looking for at a reasonable price but in case that isn't the case, what's the best way to suggest the alternate route without offending or burning bridges?

This has happened to me when I was in sales several times, its just the nature of the business. Sometimes I did foot work and didn't get the sale. Its not bad etiquette on your part. You have to shop the best deal, if the salesperson is bummed oh well, you gave them a shot. That's the way the cookie crumbles! I often could not compete with online vendors and I knew it, cant blame the consumer.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is actually MUCH better to buy a setting from the diamond vendor if at all possible. Then they are responsible for any potential damage to the diamond during setting. Then it comes to you ready to be insured immediately. Most of the vendors we know here do prongs well, and many local jewelers do not. Been there, done that.

You will get a better quality diamond and have a much larger selection buying online, and many of the vendors have a great setting selections. Do you know what shape diamond she prefers as well as what setting styles she likes best?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where are you located? We might be able to recommend a Pricescope vetted vendor that's in your region.

dan1230

Rough_Rock
I'm located in northern jersey but when i didn't get any hits through the jeweler search when i looked. If there are any suggestions through PS i'd love to hear them.

She wants to stay simple with a round solitaire in a rose gold setting. I'd like to get something unique for the setting which is why I'm hoping on working with someone local. In terms of the diamond itself, i'm looking at something in the 1.25-1.4ish rang. I was originally leaning towards an I but am seriously considering a J and opting for a better cut and clarity as I'm trying to keep the diamond 6k or under.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would recommend taking a trip into NYC. Give ID Jewelry a call, give them your search parameters, budget, etc., and ask them to narrow down a couple prospects for you to take a look at in person. They have Sunday hours if week days are difficult to make it to NYC.

Q

Queenie60

PintoBean|1470342760|4062589 said:
I would recommend taking a trip into NYC. Give ID Jewelry a call, give them your search parameters, budget, etc., and ask them to narrow down a couple prospects for you to take a look at in person. They have Sunday hours if week days are difficult to make it to NYC.

ditto!!

3Bean

Rough_Rock
Definately give ID Jewellry a shot. Very helpful and pleasant to deal with.

dan1230

Rough_Rock
Awesome! Thanks everyone for all the tips! I'll definitely try and check them out

dan1230

Rough_Rock
Ok so now a few questions if I end up going into the city:

Aside from viewing the diamonds in person, will i be able to see them through an ideal scope?
How do I go about checking it through the HCA? Is that something they would do as well?
I'm assuming that I should call ahead based on what PintoBean said so that I can give them an idea of what I'm looking for?

I'm sure i'll have more questions but you guys and this site have been amazingly helpful so far!

spurnoff

Rough_Rock
I'm so in the same boat OP. Finally found a setting my partner loves (she is very particular) at a small jeweler, they spent a lot of time with us showing us loose diamonds. I said I'd have a think about it, read a bit on here and called them up to ask if they could order stones in for me to choose from if I gave them certain criteria which they told me they could. I left it at that and now that I've researched on here I want to order the stone online but I hate the thought of going back them them and telling them I bought the stone elsewhere but can you still set it for me.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dan1230|1470361670|4062656 said:
Ok so now a few questions if I end up going into the city:

Aside from viewing the diamonds in person, will i be able to see them through an ideal scope?
How do I go about checking it through the HCA? Is that something they would do as well?
I'm assuming that I should call ahead based on what PintoBean said so that I can give them an idea of what I'm looking for?
I'm sure i'll have more questions but you guys and this site have been amazingly helpful so far!
IDJ absolutely provides images, including ideal scope (IS) and ASET. Yekutiel calculates the HCA in his head :lol:
If you go to the menu up top, under tools is the HCA calculator:
https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results