shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice?? Should I remake my e-ring??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

etoilegirl

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!! This is my first post on PS but I have spent endless hours browsing through all of the lovely photos on this site and wanted to say thank you for such a great collection of pics!!

I figured if anyone can help with my dilemma the people on this site will be honest and helpful. My e-ring is actually a family ring which my man purchased from a family member so that we could redesign it together...basically he bought it for the lovely 2.02 ct RB. The problem is is that this ring seems to be one of a kind and it really is amazing (excuse the pic the ring is very dirty) but the setting is a bit large for my lifestyle and a small part of me would like to make it my own. Everyone who has ever seen this ring would kill me if I changed it and a part of me loves this setting also but I wanted to get some advice from all you experts. The setting is 18K with very large platinum claws and the band is set with 32 small pave diamonds.
25.gif

I have come up with some ideas if I was going to remake the ring...I love the Halo/Split Shank look and I saw one I loved by Knox. I will try and find some pics. Thanks in advance....etoilegirl

etoilegirl1.JPG

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
I can understand how that setting may not be the most favourable for daily wear. What if you had a lovely coloured stone set in the old setting, and then had your diamond reset. I love a split shank as well, and there are plenty of options!!!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
OK, I''ll try to be helpful and I promise to be honest!
2.gif
1.gif

A few random thoughts, in no particular order...

I can see how that ring definitely commands its own presence... it really does make a "statement". I would imagine that people either strongly love it or... not. My personal preference tends to be thinner shanks that let a center stone really *pop*; honestly I think your RB is kinda getting "lost" in your ring.

If you keep that setting, though, my humble suggestion would be to have the head redone or replaced altogether. I am just not loving those chunky, blocky prongs. I think a shorter, squattier, head (4 or 6 prongs), with the diamond set as low as possible, and more refined, thinned, rounded prongs would make a HUGE difference in the entire "look" of the ring, and really wouldn''t cost thaaaaat much.

BUT it also sounds like you may have an entirely different vision for your center stone... so I guess you need to decide about that.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I would honor the original setting by putting a great colored stone in it, and make it "your" engagement ring by resetting that beautiful stone. I think that the styles you mentioned would be lovely. If it werew me, though, I would want to commemorate the fact that the ring is being passed on to celebrate a new relationship by giving it a lovely new setting.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t remake your ering. I''d take the diamond out of that setting and put it in one you mentioned, split shank etc.. Thereby leaving the setting intact, you could put a colored gem in it. Wear it as a RHR. But changing the exisiting setting will probably not go over well with the family, and it would involve a lot of costly work. So just get a new setting for the 2 carat. Win, win. Everyone''s happy??
2.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2008 6:40:25 PM
Author: Kaleigh
I wouldn''t remake your ering. I''d take the diamond out of that setting and put it in one you mentioned, split shank etc.. Thereby leaving the setting intact, you could put a colored gem in it. Wear it as a RHR. But changing the exisiting setting will probably not go over well with the family, and it would involve a lot of costly work. So just get a new setting for the 2 carat. Win, win. Everyone''s happy??
2.gif

ditto. i''d leave the setting intact and put a colored stone in it and reset your stone in whatever setting you want.

Rachelle02

Rough_Rock
Ok my thought is that if you are going to the trouble of asking people if you should change the ring than deep down that is really what you want and therefore you should go ahead and do it.

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm... what if you completely take the head out of the family ring and try to fill the space with more pave? Then get a simple solitaire setting for the RB. You can use the wide pave ring as your wedding band or as a RHR. That sounds really cute to me.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I quite like GoldenStar''s suggestion - it sounds like it should make for a very striking combination!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I''m going to take the opposit opinion...

On this website, I see a lot of women on this site that prefer thin, modest, pave bands...I think, while that thin style look is amazing and super sweet, I like a ring that is powerfu, thick, and serious!!

I think you should leave your ring alone. It is beautiful! I do not agree that your diamond gets lost...and I think that the strong prongs set the ring apart from more traditional look so often seen! I think if you set the diamond lower, it will get lost.

If you want a new ring, go for it...but I personally don''t think that you need to re-do your stunning ering!

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
I take the view that it is the centre diamond that you bought the ring for. And I can definitley see why!!!!! It is a wowser!!!!!

I personally would get a lot of satisfaction designing a ring that was 100% what I wanted, and I think that`s exactly what you should go ahead and do with your partner.

I think the current setting looks a little dated, but maybe it just needs a clean and polish? It is not unattractive, but I dont think it needs to be kept at all costs either.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty ring, but I can see where it would not be comfortable for daily wear. I like the suggestion of setting a colored stone in your setting and resetting your diamond into another setting.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/25/2008 7:12:42 PM
Author: mrssalvo

2.gif

ditto. i''d leave the setting intact and put a colored stone in it and reset your stone in whatever setting you want.
Double ditto! I think the current setting does not look very much like an engagement or wedding ring.

etoilegirl

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/25/2008 6:22:47 PM
Author: LitigatorChick
I can understand how that setting may not be the most favourable for daily wear. What if you had a lovely coloured stone set in the old setting, and then had your diamond reset. I love a split shank as well, and there are plenty of options!!!
Thanks for the message...the ring does tend to get in the way and I have scratched myself on more than one occasion...any ideas on a color stone for this setting??
28.gif

etoilegirl

etoilegirl

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/25/2008 6:32:59 PM
Author: Lynn B
OK, I''ll try to be helpful and I promise to be honest!
2.gif
1.gif

A few random thoughts, in no particular order...

I can see how that ring definitely commands its own presence... it really does make a ''statement''. I would imagine that people either strongly love it or... not. My personal preference tends to be thinner shanks that let a center stone really *pop*; honestly I think your RB is kinda getting ''lost'' in your ring.

If you keep that setting, though, my humble suggestion would be to have the head redone or replaced altogether. I am just not loving those chunky, blocky prongs. I think a shorter, squattier, head (4 or 6 prongs), with the diamond set as low as possible, and more refined, thinned, rounded prongs would make a HUGE difference in the entire ''look'' of the ring, and really wouldn''t cost thaaaaat much.

BUT it also sounds like you may have an entirely different vision for your center stone... so I guess you need to decide about that.

Thanks for your honesty...you have some great ideas. I think the prongs are really what I like least about the ring...they kind of remind me of the liquid metal Terminator 2 guy!!

etoilegirl

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/25/2008 6:39:47 PM
Author: vespergirl
I would honor the original setting by putting a great colored stone in it, and make it ''your'' engagement ring by resetting that beautiful stone. I think that the styles you mentioned would be lovely. If it werew me, though, I would want to commemorate the fact that the ring is being passed on to celebrate a new relationship by giving it a lovely new setting.

Thanks for the message!! You made me realize one of the main reasons why I am struggling with this decision...I guess I don''t want to offend anyone by changing it...I guess I feel a little selfish for wanting to change something so pretty just because it is not NEW.
33.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sapphires are the next most durable stones to diamonds, so that is what I would personally choose. They come in many colors besides blue if you prefer another color. Rubies are also hard, but a good ruby can cost more than a diamond.

etoilegirl

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/25/2008 11:16:39 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Date: 1/25/2008 7:12:42 PM

Author: mrssalvo

2.gif

Double ditto! I think the current setting does not look very much like an engagement or wedding ring.

Thanks for the comments...I never really thought of this before and this makes me feel better about the whole situation..then I can have 2 pretty rings!!
36.gif

etoilegirl

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/25/2008 7:18:17 PM
Author: Rachelle02
Ok my thought is that if you are going to the trouble of asking people if you should change the ring than deep down that is really what you want and therefore you should go ahead and do it.

You are right...

etoilegirl

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/25/2008 7:26:14 PM
Author: goldenstar
Hmmm... what if you completely take the head out of the family ring and try to fill the space with more pave? Then get a simple solitaire setting for the RB. You can use the wide pave ring as your wedding band or as a RHR. That sounds really cute to me.

This is also a great idea...not sure how hard it would but to get those prongs out b/c they are PL but maybe I can check it out.

etoilegirl

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/25/2008 10:41:17 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor
I''m going to take the opposit opinion...

On this website, I see a lot of women on this site that prefer thin, modest, pave bands...I think, while that thin style look is amazing and super sweet, I like a ring that is powerfu, thick, and serious!!

I think you should leave your ring alone. It is beautiful! I do not agree that your diamond gets lost...and I think that the strong prongs set the ring apart from more traditional look so often seen! I think if you set the diamond lower, it will get lost.

If you want a new ring, go for it...but I personally don''t think that you need to re-do your stunning ering!

Thanks so much for your message....I also love a big thick ring which is why I love this ring. It is kind of funny that my fist choice if I were to change it would be a split shank but I guess it is still wide on the finger!! Maybe I will keep this setting with a new stone for a RHR.

etoilegirl

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/25/2008 10:54:10 PM
Author: Sharon101
I take the view that it is the centre diamond that you bought the ring for. And I can definitley see why!!!!! It is a wowser!!!!!

I personally would get a lot of satisfaction designing a ring that was 100% what I wanted, and I think that`s exactly what you should go ahead and do with your partner.

I think the current setting looks a little dated, but maybe it just needs a clean and polish? It is not unattractive, but I dont think it needs to be kept at all costs either.
One problem is is that I think my man likes the ring...although he admits he doesn''t really know a lot about settings...The current setting was bought in 1970 so I am guessing this is why it is so different from others and it really does need a clean and polish...my pics are not doing it any favors! Thanks for the suggestions...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree. Put a sapphire in that setting and buy the one of your dreams.

etoilegirl

Rough_Rock
I found a pic of the ring I love...what does everyone think?? It''s by Knox...anyone seen it in the flesh??

etoile5.jpg

etoilegirl

Rough_Rock
Hand shot of the ring..

etoilegirl5.JPG

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
If I had the opportunity of putting a 2 ct ring in that knox setting, I would JUMP on it. WOWSER!!!!! That''s a winner for sure.

I like that it has a wide presence on the hand because of the split shank, but the bands are thin and refined giving you the best of both worlds. A contemporary look that still has that thickness you long for.

shay

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
I dunno. I really think that setting is a bit overwhelming, I agree with you that the diamond could really show off its beauty in a more modern setting. After all, it is YOUR wedding set - nobody else''s opinion should make any difference. Beautiful diamond, lucky girl! Good luck wth your decision. Have fun picking out a new setting for that baby!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results