shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice regarding the selection of a 2 carat diamond

Justus

Rough_Rock
The E is significantly less tinted than the G.
Look at the edges of the girdle (top and bottom) of these side profile shots and you'll be able to see the differences in hue and saturation.

Here's the E VS2 (#1)
Screenshot_20220129-115808.png

Here's the G VS1 (#2)
Screenshot_20220129-115937.png

This is great information. You have been most helpful. Thank you!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
There are some coupon codes from some of the various sellers on the PS vendors list.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you can swing the bank wire price, I love this GCAL 8x stone.

ttps://www.adiamor.com/Lab-Diamonds/2.03-ct-G-VS2-Affinity-Cut-Round-Diamond/D49670186

Justus

Rough_Rock
I decided to go with option 1 which I have listed again here for your reference:

Option 1:
IGI report: https://diamond-assets.ritani.com/IGI-LG508113661/certificate.pdf
video: https://vandan.v360.in/movie/1208-51

Here are videos of the diamond + ring. One was taken by the jeweler and the others by me indoors. I'll take some outdoor videos in sunlight tomorrow. What do you think? Is the light performance good or should I return to get a better diamond? Thanks for the help!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I decided to go with option 1 which I have listed again here for your reference:

Option 1:

Here are videos of the diamond + ring. One was taken by the jeweler and the others by me indoors. I'll take some outdoor videos in sunlight tomorrow. What do you think? Is the light performance good or should I return to get a better diamond? Thanks for the help!

It's very well-proportioned, as all the numbers fall into the PS recommended ranges.
Seems to have some amazing sparkle factor in direct lighting, so I'll be looking forward to seeing the others videos that you post!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Option 1:

It seems to be a great performer! Can you take some videos in diffused natural light, like under a tree during the day?

Justus

Rough_Rock
It's very well-proportioned, as all the numbers fall into the PS recommended ranges.
Seems to have some amazing sparkle factor in direct lighting, so I'll be looking forward to seeing the others videos that you post!

Thanks so much for your feedback. I felt a little disappointed when I got the ring because of my expectations for more sparkle. But I have no experience with diamonds so my expectations might be unrealistic. It seems to have more color than an E diamond should have. Is this true?

Justus

Rough_Rock
It seems to be a great performer! Can you take some videos in diffused natural light, like under a tree during the day?

Many thanks! I was expecting more sparkle but perhaps my inexperience with diamonds is clouding my judgement. I will post video in the direct sunlight and get more videos in diffused natural light as you suggested.

Justus

Rough_Rock
Video of ring in direct sunlight. I was in a room and letting sunlight fall on the ring through a window. What do you think? It appears dark but I read that is to be expected with diamonds in sunlight. It this true?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much for your feedback. I felt a little disappointed when I got the ring because of my expectations for more sparkle. But I have no experience with diamonds so my expectations might be unrealistic. It seems to have more color than an E diamond should have. Is this true?

The 40.7/35.0/57 combo would be teetering on the "balanced" to leans towards fiery" arena.

What is the characteristic of the tint/color that you are seeing?

Does anything else appear prominent, such as haziness or dullness?

Diamonds do tend to go dark in sunlight, even more so for the well proportioned ones.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Video of ring in direct sunlight. I was in a room and letting sunlight fall on the ring through a window. What do you think? It appears dark but I read that is to be expected with diamonds in sunlight. It this true?

Yes, well cut diamonds look dark in direct sunlight.

As to the E color, can you take a photo of the profile view against a white sheet of paper under diffuse natural light?

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
I do see your concerns, and it seems like it may be a bit hazy though difficult to tell for sure in that lighting. I also think part of of the adjustment is that there is a large contrast between the fire of the domains and the scintillation of the side stones.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Try to do the DIY assessment trick(s) to see if there's any light leakage. Or call around to your local jewelers until you find one that had an ASET or Ideal-Scope on hand and would be willing to let you view your diamond with it/them.

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
I do see your concerns, and it seems like it may be a bit hazy though difficult to tell for sure in that lighting. I also think part of of the adjustment is that there is a large contrast between the fire of the domains and the scintillation of the side stones.

Oops fire of the main stone and scintillation of side stones. Darn autocorrect. And yes, I actually thought it was an H-ish at first glance.

Justus

Rough_Rock
Sorry for the late response to your very helpful comments. I have included photos of the ring against a white paper to look at color and video in diffused light. What do you think?

Justus

Rough_Rock
The 40.7/35.0/57 combo would be teetering on the "balanced" to leans towards fiery" arena.

What is the characteristic of the tint/color that you are seeing?

Does anything else appear prominent, such as haziness or dullness?

Diamonds do tend to go dark in sunlight, even more so for the well proportioned ones.

It does not look as white as I would expect for an E. But I am not sure about haziness or dullness. It does not appear to sparkle or be "alive" as expected. But I have absolutely no experience with diamonds. That could be the problem with my expectations.

Justus

Rough_Rock
Yes, well cut diamonds look dark in direct sunlight.

As to the E color, can you take a photo of the profile view against a white sheet of paper under diffuse natural light?

I've posted photos of the diamond against a white sheet of paper placed on the window sill. I would appreciate your feedback.

Justus

Rough_Rock

This is an interesting insight which I did not think off. I only considered the color of the main and side stones should match.

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
Sorry for the late response to your very helpful comments. I have included photos of the ring against a white paper to look at color and video in diffused light. What do you think?

That is definitely not an E, and honestly the reason I'm not a fan of IGI. I would personally return it unless it was an amazing deal. Unless it's reflecting something, I see a lot of brown and yellow undertone through the girdle and center of the stone.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've posted photos of the diamond against a white sheet of paper placed on the window sill. I would appreciate your feedback.

It does seem to show more tint than I'd expect for an E, like maybe closer to a low GIA G. It appears to scintillate well (though make sure it's thoroughly cleaned with some dish soap and a toothbrush), but if you're unhappy with the color, I'd return it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results