shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice regarding the selection of a 2 carat diamond

Justus

Rough_Rock
Hi PriceScopers!

I would really appreciate your feedback on which of these three diamonds is the best quality:

Option 1:
IGI report: https://diamond-assets.ritani.com/IGI-LG508113661/certificate.pdf
video: https://vandan.v360.in/movie/1208-51

Option 2:
IGI report: https://diamond-assets.ritani.com/IGI-LG512233825/certificate.pdf
video: https://vandan.v360.in/movie/BB-42

Option 3:
IGI report: https://diamond-assets.ritani.com/IGI-LG478113233/certificate.pdf
video: https://v360.in/movie/1506_6517-478113233

Will the bigger inclusion in the pavilion of option 1 be visible to the naked eye? Are there any brown/gray undertones, strain, graining, striations, and any straw color produced by post-growth treatment issues I should be concerned about in any of the diamonds? Thanks for your feedback!

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
I would eliminate the third one based on the inclusions and the lack of advanced imaging. I prefer the symmetry of the first diamond.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
I like the first stone as well.

Justus

Rough_Rock
I would eliminate the third one based on the inclusions and the lack of advanced imaging. I prefer the symmetry of the first diamond.

Thanks for your feedback! Why is the first diamond's symmetry better?

hers4eva

Rough_Rock
Three.. is out too many visible flaws on top.

Two.. has flaws under the stone.

One.. is THE best .. nice and clean :clap:

Justus

Rough_Rock
Three.. is out too many visible flaws on top.

Two.. has flaws under the stone.

One.. is THE best .. nice and clean :clap:

Excuse me being a noob with respect to diamonds :lol:. I am an engineer which makes me very detail oriented. I thought from the IGI report for option one shows more inclusions and will be less eye clean than option two.

What do you mean by "flaws under the stone"? Are the flaws the three inclusions in the table shown in the IGI report? Thanks for the help!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I highly recommend that you try and find LGDs made with the HPHT process instead of CVD, unless you can engage with a gemologist that can put the CVD diamonds through a vetting process to rule out striations, clouding, and birefringence.

B2C Jewels is a PS vetted vendor and has a 20% off LGD coupon code (LABOFFER) right now, and I'm sure Diamond_Hawk and team would be elated to help get you any info that you want.

You will have to ask for images/videos in order to rule out any undisclosed blue nuance/tint. as a result of boron being present in the crystalline lattice (makes it a Type IIb diamond, same manner as the earth makes them naturally).
If you are shopping in the $4000 realm for a 2ct LGD, then the coupon code brings you into the price territory of the Ritani LGDs that you are asking about.

Justus

Rough_Rock
@DejaWiz , thank so much for your comments and stone suggestions! I'll check them out. I have read about people discouraging HPHT LGD because they sometimes do not register as diamonds in the tester.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
@DejaWiz , thank so much for your comments and stone suggestions! I'll check them out. I have read about people discouraging HPHT LGD because they sometimes do not register as diamonds in the tester.

You're very welcome!
The same can be true for some natural diamonds that have certain trace elements present. It is a false negative and is nothing to be concerned about since all HPHT diamonds are just as real as natural grown diamonds.

Justus

Rough_Rock
I think unfortunately those pictures give you zero info, but I don't love the tint from what I'm able to see.

Thanks for your input. What tint do you see? I was not sure but it looks a little grey to me...

Justus

Rough_Rock
I highly recommend that you try and find LGDs made with the HPHT process instead of CVD, unless you can engage with a gemologist that can put the CVD diamonds through a vetting process to rule out striations, clouding, and birefringence.

B2C Jewels is a PS vetted vendor and has a 20% off LGD coupon code (LABOFFER) right now, and I'm sure Diamond_Hawk and team would be elated to help get you any info that you want.

You will have to ask for images/videos in order to rule out any undisclosed blue nuance/tint. as a result of boron being present in the crystalline lattice (makes it a Type IIb diamond, same manner as the earth makes them naturally).
If you are shopping in the $4000 realm for a 2ct LGD, then the coupon code brings you into the price territory of the Ritani LGDs that you are asking about.

I am finding hard to choose because of the lack of high resolution advanced imaging.

Do you notice any tint or color or striation from Option 1 in my original post?

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock

Just wondering @DejaWiz , do only certain size lgds list type ll designation on the igi reports? I was looking on james allen for stones under 1ct., I didn't see that listed in any of the reports. ( don't mean to thread jack)

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Just wondering @DejaWiz , do only certain size lgds list type ll designation on the igi reports? I was looking on james allen for stones under 1ct., I didn't see that listed in any of the reports. ( don't mean to thread jack)

What I've noticed: for HPHT, just a generic "Type II" is listed by IGI since they don't seem to want to differentiate between IIa and IIb, even though it is a quick and easy test. My suspicion is that they are throwing a bone to the growers so that these diamonds will sell to buyers that aren't quite versed on the differences between the categorical diamond Type.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I am finding hard to choose because of the lack of high resolution advanced imaging.

Do you notice any tint or color or striation from Option 1 in my original post?

I do see some obvious brownish-yellow tint.
Hard to see much of any stria/growth graining, which may be a good thing, but not a guarantee without proper vetting.
If you're OK with a bit of tint and the seller has a great return policy, then you may want to put your own eyes on it. If it turns out to be a bit grainy/blurry/hazy looking, then a return or exchange would definitely be in order.

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
I think unfortunately those pictures give you zero info, but I don't love the tint from what I'm able to see.

It has a brownish halo around the border of the stone, and yes it's definitely grey but that could be the lighting.

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
What I've noticed: for HPHT, just a generic "Type II" is listed by IGI since they don't seem to want to differentiate between IIa and IIb, even though it is a quick and easy test. My suspicion is that they are throwing a bone to the growers so that these diamonds will sell to buyers that aren't quite versed on the differences between the categorical diamond Type.

Thank you @DejaWiz ! I don't even see type ll listed at all on the ones I have been looking at....let alone A or B.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you @DejaWiz ! I don't even see type ll listed at all on the ones I have been looking at....let alone A or B.

Do you mind posting an example report for one of them?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

That's a Type IIb. I can tell by the steely-blue sheen it has.

Compare to these examples:

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Justus

Rough_Rock
I do see some obvious brownish-yellow tint.
Hard to see much of any stria/growth graining, which may be a good thing, but not a guarantee without proper vetting.
If you're OK with a bit of tint and the seller has a great return policy, then you may want to put your own eyes on it. If it turns out to be a bit grainy/blurry/hazy looking, then a return or exchange would definitely be in order.

It's disappointing Option 1 has the brownish-yellowish tint. It is supposed to have E color which is one of the colorless grades. How would you compare it to Option 2 with respect to color? I expect a G stone to be more yellow than and E stone.

Justus

Rough_Rock
It has a brownish halo around the border of the stone, and yes it's definitely grey but that could be the lighting.

Thanks for sharing your recommendations. I would like to see higher resolution images/videos before ordering. Do you have any recommendation of stones I should look at? I am trying to keep the costs under $5k.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
It's disappointing Option 1 has the brownish-yellowish tint. It is supposed to have E color which is one of the colorless grades. How would you compare it to Option 2 with respect to color? I expect a G stone to be more yellow than and E stone.

The E is significantly less tinted than the G.
Look at the edges of the girdle (top and bottom) of these side profile shots and you'll be able to see the differences in hue and saturation.

Here's the E VS2 (#1)
Screenshot_20220129-115808.png

Here's the G VS1 (#2)
Screenshot_20220129-115937.png

Justus

Rough_Rock
Many good points here. It comes down to personal choice at the end of the day. I would go for the VS1 because I prefer a little less smaller inclusions. As for any brown tinge in these high color grades it is unlikely to happen and even less likely for you to spot any overtone in the stone, not even considering once it sits in jewelry. But again, your choice!

Thanks for your comments. I might take delivery of the stone and see if I can observe the brown tinge. Do you have any recommendations of stones to look at under $5k with color G or better and inclusions VS2 or better?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results