shape
carat
color
clarity

advice regarding marquise diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jimbo76

Rough_Rock
hi all,

new to forum,and need advice regarding a marquise diamond i found online. i am working with isaac at the facets collection on my e-ring and am wondering if this diamond looks good enough on paper to have independently appraised before purchase for the center stone. the specs:

GIA certificate
Marquise Brilliant Cut
1.02 Carat
Measurements: 9.81 x 5.37 x 3.34 mm
Height/Width Ratio: 1.83:1
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
Table: 58%
Depth: 62.2%
Culet: none
Girdle: medium to slightly thick, faceted
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Good
Fluorescence: Faint

attached is a picture of the diamond. any thoughts?

thanks!

mystone093078.JPG

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
I''m not an expert on mq''s, but that diamond looks incredibly white and beautiful! What kind of setting are you planning to get?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
The picture looks good and the values listed are within trade preference and the 1A cut grade, but some info is missing to completely say that. However, with fancy shape stones you really need to consider the stone itself more than the paper since there are no true ideal parameters, and there are beautiful stones that fall outside of the parameters closest to 1A. The picture is very nice, and the stone looks promising, IMO.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
From the stats you have, it looks very promising, though I can see why the symmetry is only "good." I think it is definitely worth checking further into. Try to see it in person. Make sure there is no bow tie. Though the numbers are excellent, that doesn''t always guarantee a beautiful diamond, when it comes to marquises.

midgirl

Shiny_Rock
I think it is definately worth checking out.

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know anything about marquise but that diamond looks really good in the picture!
Not too fat, not too skinny... just right.
I don''t see a bow tie either.
30.gif
It''s a beauty.
How are you going to have it set, N/S or E/W?
I think that E/W is really distinctive looking! With lots of finger spanage!
9.gif

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Looks pretty good on paper and in the picture. I agree with Jazmine on the bow tie...I can tell you from my own stone that has a horrible bow tie effect that it drives me insane. Ahhhh, if only my husband would have had this site to help him pick my marquise
38.gif
. Good luck...let us know how it goes
2.gif

jimbo76

Rough_Rock
thanks for the replies! i am planning on having it set north/south with 2 side stones, both pear cut around 0.15 carats. attached is a picture from the facets collection website of what i hope it''ll look like when it''s done. i am planning on having it appraised by someone in LA so i can be present and see the diamond in person. any thoughts on whether i need to get the side stones appraised also, as long as they''re the same color?

mysetting0930.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For insurance... you would need to have an apraisal of the finished ring. Otherwise... up to you to decide, I guess.

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/19/2006 3:43:36 AM
Author: jimbo76
thanks for the replies! i am planning on having it set north/south with 2 side stones, both pear cut around 0.15 carats. attached is a picture from the facets collection website of what i hope it''ll look like when it''s done. i am planning on having it appraised by someone in LA so i can be present and see the diamond in person. any thoughts on whether i need to get the side stones appraised also, as long as they''re the same color?
I''d just have the sidestones appraised when the ring is set...that''s just my 2 c. I''m sure it''ll look stunning when finished! Be sure to post your pictures
1.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the setting you posted and think it will look great. I also recall a PSer that had a mq center stone with bezel set side pears and I loved it. I can't recall who, but it looked similar to this ring (which I LOVE) but with a mq center stone instead of a round.

This ring is ICAA's.

P1010354r.jpg

TBeck2000

Rough_Rock
I would see if you can get a local indepedent appraiser to take in the stone so that you can view it in person. This will be the only way you will know if you really like the stone. Have them check the girdle to make sure that it doesn''t get too thin near the points (shouldn''t be an issue since it''s a medium and bigger). You can also take a look at it and see if any of the H color shows up near the tips (probably not a big issue with a near-colorless stone). You should go back with the completed ring to have it appraised again for insurance purposes. My ring appraisal was very thorough and cost me $90.

I recently gave my fiancee the ring you posted above. She''s had it for 3 weeks now. She really likes it because the stone doesn''t sit really high and risk getting caught on anything. She also adores the comments she has received from people that have seen it.

Here''s my review of the purchase:
Facets Collection/Signed Pieces

Good luck with the purchase!

jimbo76

Rough_Rock
all right...just paid for the diamond and it should be shipped out tomorrow for appraisal. woo hoo!
36.gif
that was the largest online purchase i''ve ever made. TBeck, if you have time, do you think you can post some hand pics of your ring? i am very curious how it looks on an actual hand. thanks!

TBeck2000

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/20/2006 2:49:05 PM
Author: jimbo76
all right...just paid for the diamond and it should be shipped out tomorrow for appraisal. woo hoo!
36.gif
that was the largest online purchase i''ve ever made. TBeck, if you have time, do you think you can post some hand pics of your ring? i am very curious how it looks on an actual hand. thanks!
Congratulations!

As for hand pics, I won''t be seeing her until this weekend, but I''ll see what I can do.

TBeck2000

Rough_Rock
Still no hand pics, jimbo...

I wanted to ask you what you were planning to do for a wedding band. This is probably putting the cart before the horse for your situation, but I was just wondering if you had thought about it. I''ve emailed Signed Pieces about a custom band to fit their Facets setting, but I haven''t heard back from them yet. We''re wanting just a simple platinum band that sits fairly flush to the unique setting:
1119.jpg

I''ll let you know what we come up with if you are interested.

-Tim

jimbo76

Rough_Rock
Tim,

i actually hadn''t thought about the wedding band yet. i figured i''d give her the engagement ring first and then decide with her what kind of wedding bands to get. i figure with the unique setting, it''ll have to be matched with a custom wedding band with some kind of bend in it to sit flush. i don''t know if she''ll want to wear the wedding band alone or together with ring, so i figure i''d let her decide later. anyhow, let me know what you guys come up with.

James

TBeck2000

Rough_Rock
In case you were still wanting to see what the ring looks like on a hand, here''s a poor quality photo I was able to get:
ring.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! I take it she said yes?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results