shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice pls! Custom IDJ band or Ritani?

jramy278

Shiny_Rock
Hello PS! :wavey: It's been a while since I posted, been lurking as always! I'm looking for some advice regarding a matching wedding band for my Ritani engagement ring ([URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ritani-engagement-ring-is-here.196552/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ritani-engagement-ring-is-here.196552/[/URL])

I've been wearing a plain wedding band with my ering, but have been eyeing a matching diamond band for a while! Ritani now makes a matching band, available directly through Ritani, or via WF or other authorized dealers. I can simply order through WF and if it doesn't work out, return it.

I've also been speaking with IDJ about a custom designed band, based on the great feedback on PS for high quality at affordable prices. For a PS quality G/H VS2 melee semi-eternity band, they're quoting me about $400 cheaper. However, since it's custom, I cannot return the band :( . I would also probably need to ship my ering to them, to ensure the band matches completely (so add shipping costs). I'm a little nervous about this as well!

Could you please advise on what route makes more sense? Obviously I would love to save some money, but is it worth not being able to return the band (and having to send in my ring)? Would the quality of Ritani vs. IDJ be vastly different? Are there any other vendors you recommend I contact? Thank you!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the return policy if you purchase the band from Ritani?
Whiteflash?

jramy278

Shiny_Rock
Hi PintoBean! I believe both have a 30d return window.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would probably go with Ritani to have the band that goes with your ring. If you didn't want a match, then I would go with IDJ. Some people like their rings to match, to have a perfect set and others like a non matched set. You have to decide which group you fall into then base your decision on that. In the scheme of things, $400 seems like a lot at first but happiness with the ring is more important. You will be wearing it for a long time.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
luv2sparkle said:
I would probably go with Ritani to have the band that goes with your ring. If you didn't want a match, then I would go with IDJ. Some people like their rings to match, to have a perfect set and others like a non matched set. You have to decide which group you fall into then base your decision on that. In the scheme of things, $400 seems like a lot at first but happiness with the ring is more important. You will be wearing it for a long time.
I agree with luv2sparkle. While IDJ is a great vendor, for you, I think you should go with the matching Ritani band from Ritani or WF.

jramy278

Shiny_Rock
Hi luv2sparkle! Yes, I'd like it to match, that's why IDJ suggests I send in my ering, to ensure the band matches. But yeah, the Ritani would be a perfect match! I can see how the $400 would work itself out over time!

Thanks PintoBean for the feedback! I'm tending to agree! Do you know if WF has Black Friday sales? I'm in no hurry!

@ everyone: Out of curiosity, what's a fair price range for a diamond band (going half way) G-H VS2 melee (probly 1-1.5 pointers) in platinum? I don't have the best idea of what to expect. Thanks!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given you want it to match, I would happily pay $400 to get an exactly matching band through Ritani. $400 not worth the stress and uncertainty.

Q

Queenie60

LLJsmom|1470322266|4062476 said:
Given you want it to match, I would happily pay $400 to get an exactly matching band through Ritani. $400 not worth the stress and uncertainty.

I say this!

jramy278

Shiny_Rock
Thank you LLJsmom and Queenie! I appreciate the feedback!

More questions @ everyone: Have you heard anything recently about Ritani's quality going down in the past few years? Someone mentioned it to me and it's making me think twice.. I can be clumsy and have been impressed at my Ritani e-ring's quality. If that's not the same then it seems like I would have to go down the custom route with a reputable vendor :confused:

Q

Queenie60

I have a great suggestion - Try the Ritani band to see the fit, etc. Then, contact a vendor (eg - IDJ) and ask them if they could duplicate the specs of that particular ring? Of course with high quality stones, workmanship, etc.?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think 30 days is a reasonable time to gauge the structural integrity of the Ritani band. Just wear the heck out of it during the 30 days!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would absolutely want the Ritani ring. Ritani is a fine brand and I wouldn't even consider trying to have a matching band made. Over the long haul, $400 is absolutely worth it. If it was twice as much, then I might think about it. Not to mention, WAY too much trouble and expense to have to send your e-ring to IDJ (so it would end up being less than $400 difference anyway). Considering you already have the Ritani e-ring, I am not sure why there would be any question about durability of the wedding band. You may need to wear a spacer band between the two rings, though, to keep the diamonds on the two shanks from hitting each other and chipping.

jramy278

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all!

Queenie60 - thanks for the suggestion, that's pretty much what I've done with IDJ so far. Sent them specs from Ritani/WF and requested a quote for a PS quality band.

PintoBean - haha, that's true I didn't think of it as a durability testing period :naughty:

DS2006 - thanks for the feedback. I agree, the $400 is definitely not a big deal in the long run. The durability question came up because I heard the company has changed hands in the past few years since my ering was bought, potentially lowering quality. I guess I won't know until I try!

My local jeweler (Pearlman's through whom I purchased the ering) has also suggested I come check out some of their rings, Bill is confident we can make something work, so I may also give that a shot! (FYI - they no longer work with Ritani, and only carry whatever is listed in their closeout section).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results