shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on solitaire setting?

Cobblestone

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
We are finally starting to move forward with an upgrade/reset of my original engagement ring and I wanted some opinions on details. I'm looking for a platinum, plain-shank, six-prong, non-cathedral solitaire with no donut. Right now, the front runner is the VC scalloped plain solitaire. The stone is a 2.3 BGD round.

I'm trying to decide:
scallop, straight across, or nothing between the "prongs"?
pave on the "scallops" or plain scallops?

Any other similar options welcome too. Thanks!

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
No advice, but I’m looking at solitaire settings also, so I’m following! That VC you posted is really pretty.

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
I’m of no help but I think that looks gorgeous! I love simple solitaires. It will make that rock look amazing!!

Cobblestone

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the opinions! Would you do it with the diamonds on the scallop or plain?
41AAA6E1-6C51-4AF2-BA10-33D454BE375F.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the opinions! Would you do it with the diamonds on the scallop or plain?
41AAA6E1-6C51-4AF2-BA10-33D454BE375F.jpeg

I might have missed it but what is your stone's color? That would affect my decision on whether or not to have diamonds on the scallop.

Cobblestone

Rough_Rock
I might have missed it but what is your stone's color? That would affect my decision on whether or not to have diamonds on the scallop.

Good point. It’ll be a BGD L worn with a Tiffany embrace band. I currently have a BGD M that’s set in rose gold including prongs that faces up really white 90% of the time but I guess the side is a bit different. I did also consider doing rose gold and platinum prongs but since I had some issues w my old setting I’m a bit skittish in doing rose gold again.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good point. It’ll be a BGD L worn with a Tiffany embrace band. I currently have a BGD M that’s set in rose gold including prongs that faces up really white 90% of the time but I guess the side is a bit different. I did also consider doing rose gold and platinum prongs but since I had some issues w my old setting I’m a bit skittish in doing rose gold again.

IDK I would think carefully about doing diamonds on the scallop then unless you would appreciate the color difference. I personally do not care for the more yellow tinted appearance of a warmer color against a whiter one. Whereas by itself I might love the stone but if put next to a whiter smaller stone I wouldn't care for the difference. Hope that makes sense. But there is no right or wrong. It's what you would love.

Cobblestone

Rough_Rock
IDK I would think carefully about doing diamonds on the scallop then unless you would appreciate the color difference. I personally do not care for the more yellow tinted appearance of a warmer color against a whiter one. Whereas by itself I might love the stone but if put next to a whiter smaller stone I wouldn't care for the difference. Hope that makes sense. But there is no right or wrong. It's what you would love.

Thanks for your thoughts. I definitely wouldn’t do a halo or even the shank since it prefer plain solitaires, but I’m considering the basket scallops only because I have something similar in my current ring. On one hand, I like the look of the simple and less fussy completely plain setting, and I actually prefer it over the diamond look. On the other hand, since VC is known for his pave, that tiny bit of sparkle from the side might be a nice bit of oomph, since it wouldn’t be too prominent in most lights but rather sort of blend into the metal? I’m not sure. I like the Tiffany classic ring w band look but hate the knife edge Tiffany so I guess I prefer my solitaires plain and my bands to have the extra sparkle but this is sort of subtle. Decisions, decisions.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your thoughts. I definitely wouldn’t do a halo or even the shank since it prefer plain solitaires, but I’m considering the basket scallops only because I have something similar in my current ring. On one hand, I like the look of the simple and less fussy completely plain setting, and I actually prefer it over the diamond look. On the other hand, since VC is known for his pave, that tiny bit of sparkle from the side might be a nice bit of oomph, since it wouldn’t be too prominent in most lights but rather sort of blend into the metal? I’m not sure. I like the Tiffany classic ring w band look but hate the knife edge Tiffany so I guess I prefer my solitaires plain and my bands to have the extra sparkle but this is sort of subtle. Decisions, decisions.

VC is a pave master. Why not consider having him making a pave band to accompany your gorgeous ring instead? And maybe he can make it with lower colored melee...and you can mix and match as the mood dictates.

Cobblestone

Rough_Rock
VC is a pave master. Why not consider having him making a pave band to accompany your gorgeous ring instead? And maybe he can make it with lower colored melee...and you can mix and match as the mood dictates.

Definitely something I’ll likely do in the future, but right now the impetus is that my original ER is damaged so we are replacing that.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely something I’ll likely do in the future, but right now the impetus is that my original ER is damaged so we are replacing that.

I’m sorry your original ER is damaged. I hope this one is everything you want it to be ♥️

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can tell you which one I* like...the scalloped pave. Beautiful!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore the scalloped pave. But either will be beautiful!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I would keep the prongs open and not have a basket or scallop. This way, the stone is easier to clean! I also like the simplicity of it, while letting your stone take center stage.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Any other similar options welcome too. Thanks!

How about the Ariana by Victor Canera? Or the Dahlia by CVB? Apparently the latter is or was available as a 6-prong, though I’ve only ever seen it as an 8-prong.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I adore the scallop with diamonds in it for sure. I am looking for a six prong setting myself and would be very tempted to get that one... however, since you are paying a good amount of money for the cut, I would like the stone to shine from all sides so for me I would pick the one with "nothing in between prongs." Even though I would always admire the scalloped one. It seems the scallops would coved diamond too much

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results