shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on Lab Grown Diamond

DSouthofficial

Rough_Rock
This one was the 1.68 VS2 F that Kim suggested I look at in comparison to my original stone. I have to say there were a lot more nice flashes on it, it sparkled well. Not sure it looked as clean as the initial stone though but may be due to the colour difference.

799E3B45-D1AE-437C-8AF6-0BB08864025B.jpeg

DSouthofficial

Rough_Rock
This is the original 1.33 VVS2 E that I put the deposit on.

76323E57-3D9D-462E-A7E9-96D6B4F057AE.jpeg

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Those look like images taken with a H&A viewer, not an Ideal-Scope.

Did you happen to see what their scope looked like?

has0001_new1.jpg

images.jpeg

ideal-scope.jpg

DSouthofficial

Rough_Rock
Ahh dam, Yh they were taken with a hearts and arrows viewer. It looked exactly like the device in the first image…. Doh

DSouthofficial

Rough_Rock
There’s also another video I took in window lighting if you guys think it’s worth seeing I’ll upload it to Reddit

DSouthofficial

Rough_Rock
Now I’m looking at the video in natural lighting again, I’m think the initial one I put the deposit on has some real big flashes at times. It performs better than I expected to be honest

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Now I’m looking at the video in natural lighting again, I’m think the initial one I put the deposit on has some real big flashes at times. It performs better than I expected to be honest

I agree...the 1.32 appears to be quite a performer.
If your phone has a flashlight feature, then you can use it to create spotlighting/direct lighting and see how the fire is on them all.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That's great. Glad you got a chance to compare that many stones at once. My favorite way to compare colored light return, in addition to DejaWiz's suggestion, is under a leafy tree with light shining through the leaves.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Have you seen this chart posted by pet rock 3? It came from Jon at Distinctive Gem. Interesting. It is a GIA chart.

1653864845415.png
What was circled applied to her diamond.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
I will just say this about the HPHT process and that is...every time I find a stone created with this process I can always tell immediately. Only once was I surprised that a stone was HPHT and I couldn't tell. The vendors I've been searching are many recommended here in PS. So it seems rare they don't show the boron and blue tint. Interesting it is the same process as earth mined with pressure, but CVD process diamonds are more identical in chemical composition as earth mined. So bottom line... go with what your eyes see. A slight blue tint could make a diamond appear whiter than their graded color and can't be all bad.

Deja and Kim N. are so great to help people find their dream stone!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Have you seen this chart posted by pet rock 3? It came from Jon at Distinctive Gem. Interesting. It is a GIA chart.

1653864845415.png
What was circled applied to her diamond.

The very last bullet point at the bottom says it all.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

DSouthofficial

Rough_Rock
The 1.55 looks nice and lively!
Did it appear to have any light blue or turquoise tint?

Which one of the three are you leaning towards the most?

The 1.55 I think looked the best. I didn’t notice any tints. Did you take a look at the certificate?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

DSouthofficial

Rough_Rock
Yh I’m starting to think this could be the one, how do you think it compares to the 1.62 carat?

Also I was thinking a yellow gold setting cathedral basket with 4 claw prongs, maybe tapered. They will only do the claw prongs in platinum though, not white gold.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yh I’m starting to think this could be the one, how do you think it compares to the 1.62 carat?

Also I was thinking a yellow gold setting cathedral basket with 4 claw prongs, maybe tapered. They will only do the claw prongs in platinum though, not white gold.

The 1.55 seems to perform better in the video than the 1.62. It looks like a winner! I also like your setting idea. Platinum prongs will be more durable than white gold prongs because they'll bend, rather than break, on impact, so it'll be less likely that you'll lose your stone.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

DSouthofficial

Rough_Rock
Have you looked at their 6 prong options?

No, how comes? I like the 4 prongs with the stone a bit more exposed. The basket and setting is hopefully going to give a bit of added security

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
No, how comes? I like the 4 prongs with the stone a bit more exposed. The basket and setting is hopefully going to give a bit of added security

No reason...it comes down to personal preference.
Wanted to make sure the jeweler was doing their due diligence by offering up all of their options instead of a typical de-facto approach.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Tenncummins

Rough_Rock
To maximize the chances of more fire, then try to tighten up the ranges of specs:

Crown angle: 34.5-35.5°

Pavilion angle: 40.6-40.7° (40.5° may be OK if paired with a 35-35.5° CA)

Crown height: 15% minimum, shoot for 15.5% or taller

Table width: 54-56% ideally, up to 57-58% is OK, the smaller the better

Do these specs apply to an oval diamond too?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Do these specs apply to an oval diamond too?

Nope, only rounds. Ovals (and other fancy shapes) kind of march to the best of their own drum and best approached on a case by case assessment.
There are some loose guidelines for proportions ranges for certain fancy shapes that you can absolutely stick within, but they do not guarantee a lively performing diamond.

Tenncummins

Rough_Rock
Nope, only rounds. Ovals (and other fancy shapes) kind of march to the best of their own drum and best approached on a case by case assessment.
There are some loose guidelines for proportions ranges for certain fancy shapes that you can absolutely stick within, but they do not guarantee a lively performing diamond.

Gotcha. What are good proportion ranges for a well cut oval?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results