shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on Lab Grown Diamond

DSouthofficial

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

First post here, hoping you guys can help.
Today I viewed a few diamonds for an engagement ring and ended up paying a deposit for the rock below (modelled by the shop assistant).

In person the diamond looked very clean and eye catching and was the prefect size (and price) however on my return home I realise I didn’t pay as much attention to its behaviour with light. Having that sparked and fire is really key and whilst this appeared good in the showroom/office lighting I just wanted to get some extra opinions before making the purchase. Any advice would be much appreciated.

73D6F3D0-8CDF-41F1-B226-AE7CF0DF234A.jpeg 3DC40E96-EDC4-4912-BACD-0D5FECA2E429.jpeg

Attachments

• 519271903.pdf
    486.4 KB · Views: 155
  • 519271903.pdf
    486.4 KB · Views: 138
  • 519271903 3.pdf
    486.4 KB · Views: 137

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Plug the IGI cert # into the HCA and post the results.

Post the HCA result so we will have more info.

The crown angle should be closer to 35 degrees to be super ideal and Hearts and arrows.

This will tell you how well it will perform.
What is the price?

DSouthofficial

Rough_Rock
HCA result was 0.8, with everything displayed as excellent. Total price for the ring including VAT is £2700.

DSouthofficial

Rough_Rock
HCA result was 0.8, with everything displayed as excellent. Total price for the ring including VAT is £2700.

Just realised I should’ve replied here, results below. Thanks for the feedback

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, DSouthofficial!
The proportions and angles appear to be working well together, based on your photo.
This diamond is likely more attuned for brilliance at the sacrifice of some fire, due to the shallower crown angle, lower crown height, and 60% depth.
Does the jeweler have an Ideal-Scope or ASET scope so the light return can be assessed?

DSouthofficial

Rough_Rock
Hey thanks for the feedback, I’ll have to ask. Not sure about the sacrifice of fire though that was quite an important factor…

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hey thanks for the feedback, I’ll have to ask. Not sure about the sacrifice of fire though that was quite an important factor…

To maximize the chances of more fire, then try to tighten up the ranges of specs:

Crown angle: 34.5-35.5°

Pavilion angle: 40.6-40.7° (40.5° may be OK if paired with a 35-35.5° CA)

Crown height: 15% minimum, shoot for 15.5% or taller

Table width: 54-56% ideally, up to 57-58% is OK, the smaller the better

DSouthofficial

Rough_Rock
To maximize the chances of more fire, then try to tighten up the ranges of specs:

Crown angle: 34.5-35.5°

Pavilion angle: 40.6-40.7° (40.5° may be OK if paired with a 35-35.5° CA)

Crown height: 15% minimum, shoot for 15.5% or taller

Table width: 54-56% ideally, up to 57-58% is OK, the smaller the better

Thanks, the only thing is I may loose a deposit which is 20 percent of the total cost if I go for a different stone. Is there a way to upload a video show I can show the stone? Or is it photos only

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, the only thing is I may loose a deposit which is 20 percent of the total cost if I go for a different stone. Is there a way to upload a video show I can show the stone? Or is it photos only

Do you still lose the deposit if you just switch to a different stone from the same vendor? You can link to videos from an anonymous YouTube account, Imgur, or Vimeo.

The diamond you chose will be better than most diamonds out in the wild, so I think even not going for a different stone would be just fine.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Definitely get a video uploaded and posted so we can take a look and see how it's performing, DSouthofficial.
Recommend proportions and angles are just that: recommended. They aren't the be all, end all and many diamonds just outside of those ranges perform just fine, so this one may be spitting out beautiful fire.

DSouthofficial

Rough_Rock
Definitely get a video uploaded and posted so we can take a look and see how it's performing, DSouthofficial.
Recommend proportions and angles are just that: recommended. They aren't the be all, end all and many diamonds just outside of those ranges perform just fine, so this one may be spitting out beautiful fire.

Ahhh I just literally got a refund on my deposit today.. I’ll upload the video for you guys anyway just in case it’s still available in the showroom if not I still would like to stick with the vendor, they’ve been great so far. Any help choosing an alternative from https://novitadiamonds.co.uk/ would be awesome

DSouthofficial

Rough_Rock
Ahhh I just literally got a refund on my deposit today.. I’ll upload the video for you guys anyway just in case it’s still available in the showroom if not I still would like to stick with the vendor, they’ve been great so far. Any help choosing an alternative from https://novitadiamonds.co.uk/ would be awesome

here’s the link for the diamond I had a deposit on…please don’t tell me I was onto a winner

DSouthofficial

Rough_Rock
here’s the link for the diamond I had a deposit on…please don’t tell me I was onto a winner

Sorry that private link won’t work I uploaded it to a reddit thread a couple of days ago. It was actually someone who commented that referred me to pricescope ..https://www.reddit.com/r/EngagementRings/comments/uutu61/diamond_advice_evvs2_13_ideal_cut/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

What's your budget limit (with VAT included, if applicable)?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
See if you can get more info on any/all of these.
I specifically looked for diamonds that fell towards the fiery realm of the proportions and angles ranges.

This one will definitely fall within FIC (Fiery Ideal Cut) ranges per the HCA tool, but you should (don't absolutely have to...but recommend you do) have it checked with an Ideal-Scope or ASET to verify everything is playing nicely together:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Here are some VS2 that may be worth your while to investigate:

This one also has angles and proportions that are a bit on the extreme like the other one above, so...same recommendation to have it scoped for potential light leakage:

DSouthofficial

Rough_Rock
See if you can get more info on any/all of these.
I specifically looked for diamonds that fell towards the fiery realm of the proportions and angles ranges.

This one will definitely fall within FIC (Fiery Ideal Cut) ranges per the HCA tool, but you should (don't absolutely have to...but recommend you do) have it checked with an Ideal-Scope or ASET to verify everything is playing nicely together:

Thanks for this, really appreciated! The only thing is these diamonds have to be shipped from abroad and aren’t in their showroom so you need to commit to buying before viewing. Did you happen to see anything in the showroom at all, I don’t like the idea of buying a stone that I haven’t seen in person.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for this, really appreciated! The only thing is these diamonds have to be shipped from abroad and aren’t in their showroom so you need to commit to buying before viewing. Did you happen to see anything in the showroom at all, I don’t like the idea of buying a stone that I haven’t seen in person.

I understand, and I'm with you 99% of the time.
If it's any consolation, I did recommend those diamonds based on both the angles+proportions as well as their appearances in the videos.

As for showroom diamonds, there's not much for selection that would be more towards fiery Tolkowski or fiery ideal without throwing dynamite on your budget.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Throwing out one more option for you: GCAL 8X
...one of the best grading reports that you can get, and all the vetting and light return/performance assessment has already been done with advanced images provided to prove it. :)

You can put in the report number for any GCAL graded diamond into their website to get a plethora of info:

Adiamor is a PriceScope vetted vendor and they do ship to the UK (loose stones have no import duties, finished rings have a 2.5% duty), the 20% VAT will be collected, just as if you were buying from a local store.
These are all HPHT method (mimics the conditions in the Earth that that form natural diamonds), so you will not have to worry about any potential issues associated with the CVD method such as striation, birefringence, or brownish tinting.
Any of these diamonds will knock your socks right off.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would want this one checked with an Ideal-Scope, but it has potential and is located in a showroom.

DSouthofficial

Rough_Rock
I would want this one checked with an Ideal-Scope, but it has potential and is located in a showroom.

Yh this doesn’t look too bad to be honest how do you go about getting it checked with an ideal-scope?

DSouthofficial

Rough_Rock
Throwing out one more option for you: GCAL 8X
...one of the best grading reports that you can get, and all the vetting and light return/performance assessment has already been done with advanced images provided to prove it. :)

You can put in the report number for any GCAL graded diamond into their website to get a plethora of info:

Adiamor is a PriceScope vetted vendor and they do ship to the UK (loose stones have no import duties, finished rings have a 2.5% duty), the 20% VAT will be collected, just as if you were buying from a local store.
These are all HPHT method (mimics the conditions in the Earth that that form natural diamonds), so you will not have to worry about any potential issues associated with the CVD method such as striation, birefringence, or brownish tinting.
Any of these diamonds will knock your socks right off.

These stones look incredible I’d just be so scared ordering one from abroad without viewing though

DSouthofficial

Rough_Rock
I understand, and I'm with you 99% of the time.
If it's any consolation, I did recommend those diamonds based on both the angles+proportions as well as their appearances in the videos.

As for showroom diamonds, there's not much for selection that would be more towards fiery Tolkowski or fiery ideal without throwing dynamite on your budget.

I actually ran the middle one above through hca and they scored it lower than the one I had the deposit on, I think the spread was good rather than excellent

DSouthofficial

Rough_Rock
Yh this doesn’t look too bad to be honest how do you go about getting it checked with an ideal-scope?

If spending this amount for the right cut do you think it would be better to wait for something hearts and arrows to pop up?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I actually ran the middle one above through hca and they scored it lower than the one I had the deposit on, I think the spread was good rather than excellent

No need to worry about that since the depth is 62.2%, which is well within the recommended ideal proportions of about 61.0-62.5% - remember: the HCA is a mass rejection tool, not an individual selection tool...it has some limitations that can't account for every facet size and angle nor can it run a ray trace/light map (that is where the Ideal-Scope or ASET scope come in).

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
If spending this amount for the right cut do you think it would be better to wait for something hearts and arrows to pop up?

GCAL 8X are all H&A, as well as having verified and validated light return.
See if your jeweler at Novita or even 77Diamonds in London can get access to GCAL 8X diamonds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results