shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on Lab Grown Diamond

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yh this doesn’t look too bad to be honest how do you go about getting it checked with an ideal-scope?

Some jewelers may have one, but most likely you would need to buy one and bring it to the showroom.

If spending this amount for the right cut do you think it would be better to wait for something hearts and arrows to pop up?

You could wait, yes, although I think IGI is not always consistent with when they designate a diamond as H&A.

DSouthofficial

Rough_Rock
Some jewelers may have one, but most likely you would need to buy one and bring it to the showroom.

You could wait, yes, although I think IGI is not always consistent with when they designate a diamond as H&A.

Ok really appreciate the help guys! What did you think of the initial diamond’s video I uploaded. Good decision to return? Or is it too difficult to tell

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Ok really appreciate the help guys! What did you think of the initial diamond’s video I uploaded. Good decision to return? Or is it too difficult to tell

It looks decent enough, but I think you might be able to do better by staying on the hunt to find a diamond with a smaller 54-57% table, a 40.5-40.7° PA, around a 34.5-35.5° CA, and a 15% or taller crown height in order get the best chances of more fire, if that's the route you want to go.
Since they have it in the showroom, maybe you can ask to compare it with the other suggestions that they also have on hand and let your eyes and heart decide.

DSouthofficial

Rough_Rock
It looks decent enough, but I think you might be able to do better by staying on the hunt to find a diamond with a smaller 54-57% table, a 40.5-40.7° PA, around a 34.5-35.5° CA, and a 15% or taller crown height in order get the best chances of more fire, if that's the route you want to go.
Since they have it in the showroom, maybe you can ask to compare it with the other suggestions that they also have on hand and let your eyes and heart decide.

Yh thanks that makes a lot of sense. What would you say is the one in Novita showroom that has most potential. I can make sure I view it this week.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I completely agree!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yh thanks that makes a lot of sense. What would you say is the one in Novita showroom that has most potential. I can make sure I view it this week.

How about comparing this one to the one you'd put the deposit on?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Any or all of them!
The more diamonds that you can lay your eyes on, the better.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HCA score is 2.6 on this one!

Yes, the specs are on the risky side--that's why I suggested checking the light return with an Ideal-Scope. But the high crown will help make it quite fiery, so it's at least worth comparing to your original pick, which leaned towards brightness. This way you can narrow down what your eyes prefer. You might find that you prefer a brighter stone!

DSouthofficial

Rough_Rock
Yes, the specs are on the risky side--that's why I suggested checking the light return with an Ideal-Scope. But the high crown will help make it quite fiery, so it's at least worth comparing to your original pick, which leaned towards brightness. This way you can narrow down what your eyes prefer. You might find that you prefer a brighter stone!

Just received this email from Novita regarding hearts and arrows diamonds they currently have in the showroom…

Hi Daniel,

Please find below the links for H&A in stock between the 1.30ct - 1.70ct below:

https://novitadiamonds.co.uk/engage...creen_diamond_detail&diamond-selection=212510
https://novitadiamonds.co.uk/engage...creen_diamond_detail&diamond-selection=212511
https://novitadiamonds.co.uk/engage...creen_diamond_detail&diamond-selection=212518
https://novitadiamonds.co.uk/engage...creen_diamond_detail&diamond-selection=285309

With kind regards,

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

True H&A must be verified with a H&A viewing scope as well as a proper assessment of symmetry and light return with an Ideal-Scope or ASET scope.
Any grading lab can put whatever they want on their reports since there is no universally accepted industry standard criteria for things like "Excellent", "Ideal", and "Hearts & Arrows", etc.
Some of these diamonds have proportions and angles that aren't the greatest.
Definitely go and have a look at them, and do so in various lighting conditions...let your eyes be the judge.

DSouthofficial

Rough_Rock
True H&A must be verified with a H&A viewing scope as well as a proper assessment of symmetry and light return with an Ideal-Scope or ASET scope.
Any grading lab can put whatever they want on their reports since there is no universally accepted industry standard criteria for things like "Excellent", "Ideal", and "Hearts & Arrows", etc.
Some of these diamonds have proportions and angles that aren't the greatest.
Definitely go and have a look at them, and do so in various lighting conditions...let your eyes be the judge.

Ok thanks I will do, are there any on that list that do look like the hit the right criteria in relation to specs?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Ok thanks I will do, are there any on that list that do look like the hit the right criteria in relation to specs?

The second (212511) one...all of them are CVD, so be aware of the potential caveats associated with that growth method.

DSouthofficial

Rough_Rock
The second (212511) one...all of them are CVD, so be aware of the potential caveats associated with that growth method.

There’s literally so much more involved than the four c’s honestly I feel like I need to hire a diamond expert to come along with me

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Based on the images and proportions, I'm not a fan of any of these to be honest. I agree with DejaWiz on taking the notation of "Hearts and Arrows" with a grain of salt.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
There’s literally so much more involved than the four c’s honestly I feel like I need to hire a diamond expert to come along with me

Here are some HPHT that are listed as "in showroom"

DSouthofficial

Rough_Rock
Here are some HPHT that are listed as "in showroom"

Thanks for this I really like the look of the first one I’ll definitely view it. The only thing I find interesting is on the HCA this scored slightly lower then the original diamond I put a deposit on. The spread is deemed as very good rather than excellent. The proportions on this one would suggest it’s a better performing stone though? I’ll post the HCA F283919A-9D63-4856-9F60-534DDBE7381A.png

DSouthofficial

Rough_Rock
Additionally is the 40.3 pavilion angle not too shallow?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for this I really like the look of the first one I’ll definitely view it. The only thing I find interesting is on the HCA this scored slightly lower then the original diamond I put a deposit on. The spread is deemed as very good rather than excellent. The proportions on this one would suggest it’s a better performing stone though? I’ll post the HCA F283919A-9D63-4856-9F60-534DDBE7381A.png

HCA is not a selection tool, just a rejection tool. A score of 0.9 is not worse than 0.8. Most diamonds will get Very Good for Spread, so that's not a problem. This stone also qualifies as a Fiery Ideal Cut.

Additionally is the 40.3 pavilion angle not too shallow?

I like to stick with 40.6-40.9 for the pavilion angle. When the pavilion angle gets shallower, the arrows tend to "crowd" the table and obstruction may occur, which is not my personal preference.

shallow-gif-gif.833247

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
^ what Kim N said.
The 40.3/35.9/56 combo may not fall within the "super ideal" range, but you should definitely check it out to see how your eyes and brain process the performance personality.

Unfortunately, they don't have many in-store options under the USD$3000 mark, so you're at their mercy with what they have on hand.

DSouthofficial

Rough_Rock
^ what Kim N said.
The 40.3/35.9/56 combo may not fall within the "super ideal" range, but you should definitely check it out to see how your eyes and brain process the performance personality.

Unfortunately, they don't have many in-store options under the USD$3000 mark, so you're at their mercy with what they have on hand.

Yh that makes sense! In your opinion do you think it’s worth taking my money elsewhere to get something better. There aren’t many lab diamond stores in London to be honest and I don’t like the buy before you see online option, scares me. Really appreciate your help guys, I’ve milked your expertise lol

DSouthofficial

Rough_Rock
^ what Kim N said.

I’d go up to maybe the 3.5k mark

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yh that makes sense! In your opinion do you think it’s worth taking my money elsewhere to get something better. There aren’t many lab diamond stores in London to be honest and I don’t like the buy before you see online option, scares me. Really appreciate your help guys, I’ve milked your expertise lol

Does the vendor have a good return policy? If it were me, I would buy the original diamond that you liked and bring it home to view in all your usual lighting environments. Make use of the full return period. You may find that it performs to your expectations. You could also buy an Ideal-Scope in the meantime to double-check the light return.

The last one in the list I posted earlier seems to hit pretty much all your recommended proportions, KIM N wasn’t a fan though

https://novitadiamonds.co.uk/engage...creen_diamond_detail&diamond-selection=285309

For a 41 pavilion angle, I prefer a 34 crown.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

It would definitely be advantageous to look at as many shops as possible if you want to stay local.

The primary reason for suggesting the GCAL 8X diamonds was that all the pertinent info is provided (and accessible right at GCAL's website) for each individual diamond...every 8X is as near as, if not definitely, a super ideal cut diamond.
As online buying continues to accelerate, GCAL seized a real opportunity to help buyers get the best performing diamonds.
The only other grading lab that I place this much faith in for online shopping would be AGS with their Triple Zero/Ideal cut grade (which has been around for a good while).

Here's some further food for thought:
Try to find some diamonds locally that fall within either AGS 000 or GCAL 8X criteria (earth or lab grown...doesn't matter since they'll look the same) so you can see how they perform.
You may have to set aside price and intent to buy for the time being while you're just looking in order to open up as much inventory as possible to increase your chances of finding local on hand diamonds that fall within such tighter cut criteria.

If you happen to be able to view at least a couple or a few of them and like what you see, then you'll know what kind of diamond performance you'll be getting with any of the GCAL 8X diamonds suggested earlier. :)

We really are trying to help you get the best bang for your money and we get nothing out of this other than knowing you're going to be thrilled and satisfied by getting to pick from the best of the best diamonds for the best value.
That's what we're all about here: the best quality and highest performing diamond for your budget, first and foremost.

DSouthofficial

Rough_Rock
Hey guys,

So my appointment at Novita showroom is tomorrow at 16:30, decided I will still attend! They confirm they have an ideal scope I can use too, I’ve been watching a few videos on what to look out for.

So far the stones I’ve picked out to look at tomorrow are:

1) https://novitadiamonds.co.uk/engage...creen_diamond_detail&diamond-selection=238308 (pretty sure one of you guys recommended this to me).

2) https://novitadiamonds.co.uk/engage...creen_diamond_detail&diamond-selection=238307

3) https://novitadiamonds.co.uk/engage...creen_diamond_detail&diamond-selection=212511

4) https://novitadiamonds.co.uk/engage...creen_diamond_detail&diamond-selection=285309

Do you guys think I should take any of these stones off the list? Also Novita diamonds have had a large replenishment of stock in the showroom yesterday, are you guys able to take a look and see if there’s anything else worth adding?

I’ll take some photos/videos tomorrow just incase! If I’m not loving any of the stones in person I may go down the x8 GCAL route you mentioned.

Thanks

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hey guys,

So my appointment at Novita showroom is tomorrow at 16:30, decided I will still attend! They confirm they have an ideal scope I can use too, I’ve been watching a few videos on what to look out for.

So far the stones I’ve picked out to look at tomorrow are:

1) https://novitadiamonds.co.uk/engage...creen_diamond_detail&diamond-selection=238308 (pretty sure one of you guys recommended this to me).

2) https://novitadiamonds.co.uk/engage...creen_diamond_detail&diamond-selection=238307

3) https://novitadiamonds.co.uk/engage...creen_diamond_detail&diamond-selection=212511

4) https://novitadiamonds.co.uk/engage...creen_diamond_detail&diamond-selection=285309

Do you guys think I should take any of these stones off the list? Also Novita diamonds have had a large replenishment of stock in the showroom yesterday, are you guys able to take a look and see if there’s anything else worth adding?

I’ll take some photos/videos tomorrow just incase! If I’m not loving any of the stones in person I may go down the x8 GCAL route you mentioned.

Thanks

The first and second diamonds would have my primary interest.
They are both HPHT (the method I prefer since it is a direct mimic of the way the earth makes diamonds...I'm a bit of purist, in that regard), but need to be checked for a light blue or turquoise tint (easy enough to do in a white grading tray: table down, pavilion up).

The third and fourth are both CVD, so I would want assurances that there are no issues that could impact transparency and light return, such as striations and clouding.
The fourth one has a PA of 41° paired with a CA of 35° - this is a combination that can potentially be risky, since a steeper PA is almost always better paired with a shallower CA.

View them all in various lighting conditions: you can create your own indirect lighting by holding a thick piece of paper or folder over the diamond to create a shaded area from the overhead dazzle lighting.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would take 4 off the list but leave the others for now. Great suggestions from DejaWiz on how to view them. Take them to a window as well for natural lighting.

I would still recommend viewing your original pick with the below stone, even if you don't intend to buy them. At the very least, with one being more fiery and one being brighter, you can see what your eyes like to narrow down your top contenders. And now that you know Novita has an Ideal-Scope, you can check those two stones' light return.

DSouthofficial

Rough_Rock
I would take 4 off the list but leave the others for now. Great suggestions from DejaWiz on how to view them. Take them to a window as well for natural lighting.

I would still recommend viewing your original pick with the below stone, even if you don't intend to buy them. At the very least, with one being more fiery and one being brighter, you can see what your eyes like to narrow down your top contenders. And now that you know Novita has an Ideal-Scope, you can check those two stones' light return.

Great shout I’ll let you know how I get on

DSouthofficial

Rough_Rock
Hi Guys

They didn’t have option one which looked the most promising, they’re going to order it to the showroom for me so I can view on Tuesday. This was the ideal scope image for option 2. I’ll post the others separately

Attachments

• 39F62053-CC77-4D4F-9984-78F6C1BAC39F.jpeg
    39F62053-CC77-4D4F-9984-78F6C1BAC39F.jpeg
    406.8 KB · Views: 34
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results