shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on GOG Cushion Cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gadiamondidiot

Rough_Rock
Hey all. If you have a moment please watch this video and give me your opinions on the stones they videotaped for me. I asked them to find a cushion that performs like a round brilliant. The square hearts and arrows seemed like a great solution but its a tad out of my price range.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/videos/jcushionfire.wmv

also please give me advice on the setting I have chosen. She wanted pave diamonds on the side (but not all the way around)
setting1.jpg

setting2.jpg

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks all.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am most interested in 2, 3, 4. 4 was the sq HA?
4 is favorite.
2 is second. Is that the 1.3 E VS2 or something?
3 i think has much bowtie and rather ovalish.

gadiamondidiot

Rough_Rock
yes, 4 is the H&A (out of my price range)
2 is the 1.58 H VS2

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pulled it up, wow, did not expect it to look like that. Culet! Leakage at edge: I think I perceived some dullness there. Looks good.

gadiamondidiot

Rough_Rock
yea, its pretty unique. Ive never seen a cushion like it. GOG says it performs better than any cushion they have ever had.

I'm slightly concerned with the culet (.5%) but I couldnt notice it in any of the videos

Here is the stone for anyone else who wants to chime in http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2665

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahah. GA + diamond + idiot.

I thought it was like GawdIam(A)n-d-Idiot a clever diamond twist.

Culet is fine.

gadiamondidiot

Rough_Rock
Nope, just a diamond idiot :)

Do you have an opinion on the setting?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eek. I think my favorite cushion setting right now is a halo with square emeralds channel set in shank.

But if not halo, I think a thin, pave style band is always a fine choice, either bead-set, shared prong, or "fishtail" pave.

This is my perfect (for now) bead-set:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-cushion.52757/

And the fishtail (Lynn''s was inspired by another Whiteflash fishtail ring)
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/finally-gorgeous-new-fishtail-pave-set-from-wf.46129/

The Stuller one is nice, too. It looks a little prongy at this magnification, though.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is the helium data ASET image from the gem file.
I think it would certainly give a well cut princess cut a run for its money in the performance department.

cussionaset.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the setting it goes well with the stone and sounds just what she wanted.

chicagolawyer

Rough_Rock
If you don''t mind my asking -- what is the price for #4, the H&A cushion? I''ve been curious b/c all of their H&A cushions only say "price available on request."

Thanks!!

gadiamondidiot

Rough_Rock
I dont remember the stone only price but with the setting it was mid 14K

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I doubt you''ll see that culet much at all with the naked eye, it''s pretty small. If you hold it up to the light you''ll see light come through, but looking down on a finger you''ll just see sparkles. I can barely see mine when I''m looking down into it and it''s way bigger than that. I do like #2 - it has an interesting cut. #1 is definitely a crushed ice look and will give little glittery sparkles. Some people like that. Mine has a bit of it and I really like it though I don''t know that I would if the whole stone only did that. IMO Jon didn''t give #3 a fair shake since it was between the other two he admitted he had bias for. #3 has the largest chunks of fire if you like that sort of thing, but also the largest chunks of dark. IME they aren''t dark all that often - they''re usually filled with some sort of light either reflection or refraction.

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
I just watched your video - WOW!!! #4 was spectacular!!! #2 was my second choice and VERY beautiful! I love the high crown and the shape.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/13/2006 10:43:07 AM
Author: strmrdr
Here is the helium data ASET image from the gem file.
I think it would certainly give a well cut princess cut a run for its money in the performance department.
I do not like the ASET without back because as you can see here you do not get the full picture light.

The stone does not have light return scores that are as good as well cut princess stones. It has a better spread than most princess - but 6% worse than a nice round. It will look smaller however because the crown is leaking near the edges.

It is essentially a old cut type with the facet structure of a modern brilliant. A round of the same diameter

gog cushion old cut type.JPG

gadiamondidiot

Rough_Rock
Garry,

should I take it that you didnt like it?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yummy!

That picture has heart prongs, so specify if you want them hearted or not (I think they will do minor customization.) Also, a wb will not sit flush to that setting (though a custom band could be made to sit flush or she might not mind a gap.)

gadiamondidiot

Rough_Rock
They arent really heart prongs, just split prongs, weird angle on the photo.

I dont know about it not sitting flush. They are making the ring from scratch and needed the diamond specs so who knows.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got that setting for my rectangular cushion and I LOVE it. The make the setting for that exact stone. It will fit great. The prongs look like split prongs from the side but from the top if you look closely they are little hearts. But it is a classic setting not overly cute cute.

HTH

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK LOL Just noticed that JulieN''s link was to MY RING
26.gif

Thanks Julie for liking and promoting my setting.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The video didn''t show up for me. So I''m waiting on your photos.
9.gif

Time will go slowly while it''s being set.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/13/2006 3:44:15 PM
Author: gadiamondidiot
Garry,

should I take it that you didnt like it?
The answer to that depends on the question.

I do not like many colorless radiants.
and I like fewer cushions.
If you must have a cushion - then it might be OK for you.

But please see it and compare it to other stones yourself and not rely on videos made in a very poor lighting environment for distinguishing between various diamonds

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, what a gorgeous cushion!!! That is one of the prettiest ones I''ve seen on here!

I love StoneHunter''s setting! The gap doesn''t bother some people and others it does. Have you ordered it yet? We probably could come up with some others that wouldn''t have as much of a gap if you wanted more to choose from.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results