shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on fire for this RB stone for a newbie please

phiooch

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

I'm new to buying diamonds and this forum has been an invaluable source of information. I'm hoping I can get some opinions/advice on a round brilliant stone that I've narrowed my search down to please.

I've received a firetrace report from the online vendor and the diamond scored excellent for brightness and scintillation but only very good for fire. Do you think the crown angle will make that much of an impact on the fire of the stone? I've been told it is a very clear and bright stone, but I am concerned about the amount of fire it will have. I do like stones with a good amount of fire. Or am I just nitpicking? I've attached the ideal scope image as well.

It is a round brilliant, I colour, GIA triple Ex.

Specs are:
VS2
0.8 ct
60.7% depth
57% table
33.5 crown angle
40.8 pavilion angle
14.5% crown height
43% pavilion depth
girdle medium faceted
strong blue fluorescence
6.00 x 6.02 x 3.65
HCA 0.9 (ex, ex, ex, vg)

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?reportno=2171677479&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&pagename=GIA%2FDispatcher&c=Page&cid=1355954554547

idealscope_38.jpg
firetrace.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We normally recommend 34-35 for the crown angle, and so that one is a little on the low side. I am sure the diamond will be fine and you might not be able to tell the difference in fire just due to the fact we aren't in lighting that produces fire most of the time, unless you work outdoors in the sun all the time!

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone. Most combinations in this range will result in excellent for fire, especially when the crown angle is toward the higher range. Most of the super ideal cut diamonds I have seen have a crown angle of around 34.3-34.9. If you really like fire, you might be happier with a stone that scores excellent in all areas except very good for spread (which most ideal cuts do).

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

phiooch

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply diamondseeker. So other than the reduced fire which may not be that noticeable anyway, does the stone look like a good one from the ideal-scope image? Or should I keep searching for something that fits in with all the ideal cut territory measurements for a GIA excellent cut?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although the IS and HCA scores are good, I would skip this stone and look for other options.

Here are the reasons.
1. check HCA score again. See where the "X" is situated. This stone may not qualify for AGS ideal
2. I double checked the proportions against the AGS cut chart. 57/33.0(33.5)/40.7 combo may not qualify for AGS ideal
https://www.agslab.com/docs/pbcg/AGSLProportionCharts.pdf
3. I also checked the dispersion (fire) deduction table. 33.0(33.5)/40.7 combo may get dinged on dispersion. This is consistent with the firetrace analysis.

While the stone has good contrast (good size arrows) and light return, it may not be for you if you value fire.
It is a beautiful stone. It's got great spread over 6.0mm.
At the same time, getting a diamond with ideal proportions is not competitive at this carat range (under 0.9c). I think you can do better

phiooch

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply and the link flyingpig. That's definitely some food for thought as the price is very good for the stone, so I'll have to weigh that up against the reduced fire considering you think it's a beautiful stone in the other aspects. Thanks again.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results