shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice needed with my choice and road to buying

Siyah

Rough_Rock
In both of those BN setting links there is a slider under the photo which you can move to see what a smaller diamond looks like.

Do you need to go bigger? I am always under the impression that most Europeans don’t buy large stones, is she expecting this?

I do not need to go bigger as long as the diamond will really look like a proper diamond and is prominent (and sparkling!) enough. The problem is that I can't imagine it yet, as I haven't seen it in real life.

I also do not see a slider. Which one are you referring to? Can you post a screenshot?

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, it's not.
I can see it's about a third of a carat

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screenshot_20181230-223013.png here I picked a 1,2 CT random diamond

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is not 100% accurate but you get the general vibe of your size diamond with that setting

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not need to go bigger as long as the diamond will really look like a proper diamond and is prominent (and sparkling!) enough. The problem is that I can't imagine it yet, as I haven't seen it in real life.

I also do not see a slider. Which one are you referring to? Can you post a screenshot?
If you pick a diamond and then do "add to setting" then it'll show that size in the setting you choose.

Siyah

Rough_Rock
You guys are amazing. Thank you very much for all the help! I will definitely let you know the status (and come back with questions for sure :)))

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But those pics and videos are not showing the right diamond. They are showing an example diamond of 1 carat, not the carat I actually chose.
5F0F92E2-8046-4606-8FE6-C3D398648100.jpeg

See where I have circled? You can move this sideways to see different diamond sizes.

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
this one is a bit of a high setting so may help the diamond POP, seem a bit bigger:

https://www.bluenile.com/nl/build-y...l-ring-setting_36081?elem=title&track=product

Also just some general information, not everywhere/one in Europe prefers small diamonds. Countries have different tendencies.@Siyah what does her social circle wear?

At D-G colour grade above 0.6 ct for 1500 euros may be tricky. But could be achieved! I know I suggested Fortrez but they are a bit pricier so may need to go smaller ct size. Definitely worth visiting them to get some more info!!

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
also this is a handy site:

0.6ct-round-5.43x5.45x3.30

I plugged in dimensions of diamond the 0.6 G SI1 one and a finger size of 6.5 US. You can also adjust the ring width. Might help you visualise what it will look like.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Imma gonna comment here ...

In my opinion, six prongs on a .5 carat are usually too much. Maybe if you can get the tiniest claw prongs, but otherwise I feel like it’s too much happening around a relatively small stone ... maybe .6 is beginning to be big enough ... however don’t worry - I’m sure many will disagree with me - I am just sharing my own thoughts.

I would definitely recommend a thin band that tapers
toward the stone. Some people don’t like knife-edge but I love them - they look nice and thin and carry some strength in height ... some have high shoulders but plenty of them don’t.

14262291-6BBE-4EE6-B453-24C1712AB7ED.jpeg

This is a .62 on my hand. Four prong compass point orientation, 1.7 - 2 mm knife edge, tiny claw prongs.

That first BN .6 stone looks very nice .. it scores 0.7 on the HCA calculator .... the only thing is that, within the parameters given for ideal cut, the crown angle (CA) and pavilion angle (PA) should complement each other. In this case, usually a 40.9 PA is the preferred match to a 34 CA, and a 40.6 PA is the preferred match for a 35 CA .... and 58 is sort of the biggest table size that most here would recommend ... at the same time on a .6 probably won’t make much difference. If possible to get an ASET image showing actual light performance, that might seal the deal for you ... but I think BN has trouble getting those images?

Also, I think most vendors are low on inventory right now. You may want to wait a bit to see if more diamonds become available.

My two and a half cents!

:wavey:

Siyah

Rough_Rock
How odd, maybe it’s just on the U.K. version of the site?

I think so! I can try that, that is also fine. Thanks Snowdrop!

this one is a bit of a high setting so may help the diamond POP, seem a bit bigger:

https://www.bluenile.com/nl/build-y...l-ring-setting_36081?elem=title&track=product

Also just some general information, not everywhere/one in Europe prefers small diamonds. Countries have different tendencies.@Siyah what does her social circle wear?

At D-G colour grade above 0.6 ct for 1500 euros may be tricky. But could be achieved! I know I suggested Fortrez but they are a bit pricier so may need to go smaller ct size. Definitely worth visiting them to get some more info!!

Have no clue about what her social circle wears, but I know what she likes so that is a good thing.

By the way, the first link is a G color so I should be fine I think, unless you think a D-E-F color is better on a 0.6ct diamond?

also this is a handy site:

0.6ct-round-5.43x5.45x3.30

I plugged in dimensions of diamond the 0.6 G SI1 one and a finger size of 6.5 US. You can also adjust the ring width. Might help you visualise what it will look like.

Thanks a bunch! Nice one!

In my opinion, six prongs on a .5 carat are usually too much. Maybe if you can get the tiniest claw prongs, but otherwise I feel like it’s too much happening around a relatively small stone ... maybe .6 is beginning to be big enough ... however don’t worry - I’m sure many will disagree with me - I am just sharing my own thoughts.

toward the stone. Some people don’t like knife-edge but I love them - they look nice and thin and carry some strength in height ... some have high shoulders but plenty of them don’t.

This is a .62 on my hand. Four prong compass point orientation, 1.7 - 2 mm knife edge, tiny claw prongs.

That first BN .6 stone looks very nice .. it scores 0.7 on the HCA calculator .... the only thing is that, within the parameters given for ideal cut, the crown angle (CA) and pavilion angle (PA) should complement each other. In this case, usually a 40.9 PA is the preferred match to a 34 CA, and a 40.6 PA is the preferred match for a 35 CA .... and 58 is sort of the biggest table size that most here would recommend ... at the same time on a .6 probably won’t make much difference. If possible to get an ASET image showing actual light performance, that might seal the deal for you ... but I think BN has trouble getting those images?

Also, I think most vendors are low on inventory right now. You may want to wait a bit to see if more diamonds become available.

My two and a half cents!

Thank you very much for your valuable insights! I really appreciate it.

Regarding your last sentences: do you think the CA and PA are not good enough and I should look for a better one?

Wouldn't it sparkle well enough, you think?

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you very much for your valuable insights! I really appreciate it.

Regarding your last sentences: do you think the CA and PA are not good enough and I should look for a better one?

Wouldn't it sparkle well enough, you think?

You are welcome! I’m not sure about this diamond - the angles might work together very well. This is where the pictures and measurements fail - they don’t show actual light performance. We know the potential is there. Light performance pictures are needed to know for sure ... You can ask BN if any are available.

Siyah

Rough_Rock
You are welcome! I’m not sure about this diamond - the angles might work together very well. This is where the pictures and measurements fail - they don’t show actual light performance. We know the potential is there. Light performance pictures are needed to know for sure ... You can ask BN if any are available.

Thank you, kmoro. I asked them and they told me to call them and that they should be able to provide light performance pics.... no ASET though.

I am from Europe, they are situated in the US, right? Is there an EU number I can call? This can be very expensive I suppose :D

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, kmoro. I asked them and they told me to call them and that they should be able to provide light performance pics.... no ASET though.

I am from Europe, they are situated in the US, right? Is there an EU number I can call? This can be very expensive I suppose :D

I’m sorry I can’t help you with a phone number ... did you tell them you’re in Europe and calling is not so easy or convenient? I would expect them to send the images via an email request too ....

Siyah

Rough_Rock
I’m sorry I can’t help you with a phone number ... did you tell them you’re in Europe and calling is not so easy or convenient? I would expect them to send the images via an email request too ....

No, he specifically said I have to call. I'll find out tomorrow and let you all know. Thanks for thinking with and for me!

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
No, he specifically said I have to call. I'll find out tomorrow and let you all know. Thanks for thinking with and for me!

Maybe ask them to call you? You could call and ask them to call back ...

If you do pay for the call, I hope you consider it money well spent.

Good luck!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium

14262291-6BBE-4EE6-B453-24C1712AB7ED.jpeg

My two and a half cents!

I agree with your setting comnents. As long as her finger are slimmer at the base, knife edge is fine. If they are wider at the base, I'd stick with a smother top.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was on my local site the EU phone number(Ireland) was displayed on the screen (see my screen shot) . Should be the same for you.

Siyah

Rough_Rock
I agree with your setting comnents. As long as her finger are slimmer at the base, knife edge is fine. If they are wider at the base, I'd stick with a smother top.

So, considering this is her hand...

WhatsApp Image 2018-12-30 at 21.47.57.jpeg

What would you say?

@kmoro: I'll call them asap.

Siyah

Rough_Rock
When I was on my local site the EU phone number(Ireland) was displayed on the screen (see my screen shot) . Should be the same for you.

Yes, so I called them, but unfortunately they can not provide photos like that for non-Astor diamonds...

Too bad!

Is it still worth the "guess" or should I look further?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
None of these have proportions that are ideal. But I'm confused now about your budget. I thought you wanted to stay under 1600 USD. The JA stones you linked are 1800-1950 USD, and that doesn't include VAT or import duties. If your budget can go up to $1950 then that changes things a lot.

Siyah

Rough_Rock
None of these have proportions that are ideal. But I'm confused now about your budget. I thought you wanted to stay under 1600 USD. The JA stones you linked are 1800-1950 USD, and that doesn't include VAT or import duties. If your budget can go up to $1950 then that changes things a lot.

Hello there,

Let me put it this way: until 2k (including the setting, incl. VAT as well), I would be fine. So that gives me 1700 Euros or so to get a proper diamond...

Could we find a good one?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello there,

Let me put it this way: until 2k (including the setting, incl. VAT as well), I would be fine. So that gives me 1700 Euros or so to get a proper diamond...

Could we find a good one?

Ok, but that means the ones you linked from JA are out of budget. Because they were 1850-1950 without a setting, and without any VAT or taxes.

Siyah

Rough_Rock

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is almost certainly eye clean frrom about 6-12 inches away from your face. It may be clean closer up depending on your vision.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results