shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice needed on ER (1.71 ct, vs2, G color)

lcarr

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I've been searching around for a perfect engagement ring and I came across this one on BlueNile (http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-search?stockno=LD07287011)

Details below as well:

Summary

Price per carat $8,271
Carat weight 1.71
Shape Round
Cut Ideal
Color G
Clarity VS2
Length/width ratio 1.01
Depth % 62.6%
Table % 58.0%
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Girdle Medium to Slightly Thick
Culet None
Fluorescence None
Measurements 7.66 x 7.61 x 4.78 mm

Ring size is 5, budget max is $14k
Opted for VS2 to hopefully ensure no eye visible inclusions
Opted for G color because I think it might be unnoticeable compared to F after reading tons of threads on here.
Ideal ct size 1.5-1.8 ( don't want to have to 'upgrade' down the line I hope :) )
Setting will likely be a very basic white gold petite solitaire (2MM band)

I tried putting the measurements into the HCA tool but it keeps saying the depth % entered might suggest the girdle is too thin so I can't get an actual reading (maybe i'm doing it wrong). I actually thought maybe the depth % was too high? Any thoughts on if this might be a great choice? (not being able to see it before buying it is a let down compared to JA but the prices seem very competitive on BN for similar specs).

fair75

Rough_Rock
Is that a GIA certified diamond? I highly doubt it because even GIA G, VS2 triple excellent diamonds (borderline top grade) with the specs you just listed would retail approximately between 14 and 17k on Bluenile's own website. Without a GIA or AGS certification, you'll never know the true qualities of the diamond you want to buy. By the way, depth of 62.6% is simply too deep.

lcarr

Rough_Rock
fair75|1470592621|4063337 said:
Is that a GIA certified diamond? I highly doubt it because even GIA G, VS2 triple excellent diamonds (borderline top grade) with the specs you just listed would retail approximately between 14 and 17k on Bluenile's own website. Without a GIA or AGS certification, you'll never know the true qualities of the diamond you want to buy. By the way, depth of 62.6% is simply too deep.

Thanks for the feedback!

Not sure why the link isn't taking you directly to the diamond, but yes it has a GIA cert

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-search?stockno=LD07287011
(might have to copy and paste directly into the browser versus clicking)

GIA REPORT

What is a recommended depth% for this size of a diamond? With it being too deep, it will make it not shine as bright even given the excellent cut rating?

fair75

Rough_Rock
Ok I didn't see the price you listed is per carat. I thought it was the price for the diamond. My bad! lol

The following is what I use to search for ideal-cut diamonds I would consider buying. Other people on PS have slightly different parameters.

Table: 54% to 57% (many will consider 53% to 58%, even 59%)

Depth: 60% to 61.9% (many are ok with 60% to 62.2% or 62.3%)

Excellent Symmetry

Excellent Polish

GIA/AGS

Crown angle: 34 to 35 degrees (many are fine with 33.5 to 35.5, provided that ideal scope/ASET scope images show no significant light performance issues)

Pavilion angle: 40.6 to 40.8 degrees (many are fine with 40.6 to 41, provided that ideal scope/ASET scope images show no significant light performance issues)

Lower girdle length: 75% to 80% (75 to 77% would have bold fire while 80% is optimized for pin-fire)

Star length: 45% to 55%

Girdle thickness: Thin-Medium (generally this means 3% to 3.5%)

Many people think that GIA triple excellent rating for a diamond is enough, but that is simply not true. Only a subset of GIA triple excellent rating is worth considering in my opinion. The rest are either mediocre or borderline.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results