shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice needed on a few precious gemstones I'm currently considering....

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
Hi, gang! I've only just VERY recently started to give the precious colored gemstone thing a whirl (up until now all my experience has been with extremely inexpensive semi-precious colored stones--- almost all of 'em in cabochon form). So to say that faceted precious colored gemstones are a tad confusing to me is quite an understatement. ;-)

Anywhoo! I have my eye on a couple of blue Sapphires, a few pink sapphires, and a ruby. I have found a couple of sellers who seem to be extremely forthright and trustworthy, but I would love to pick everyone's brain here on the relative quality (and price) of the gemstones I'm considering. The first one is a small Ceylon sapphire (from what I've read online Ceylon sapps are supposed to be the shit, right? ), and HERE is the listing for it:
meduim-dark, blue-purple or purple-blue, oval cut unheated sapphire loose stone for jewelry supply and crafting. This sapphire expresses some light-source color change; more blue under natural sunlight and more purple under artificial incandescent light.

Gemstone: Sapphire
Cut: Oval
Color: Blue-purple or purple-blue
Total Carat Weight: .61
Clarity: Slightly included
Length: 5.5mm
Width: 4.3mm
Depth: 3mm
Treatment Method: None
Mined In: Sri Lanka (Ceylon)

The seller is in the US, and he is asking $92 for it. That sounds like a very reasonable price to me. But like I said, I have very limited experience and knowledge with precious color gemstones. What do you guys think about the quality of this gem? And the price? And do you consider Ceylon Sapphires to be more desired overall than ones from Tanzania generally? The other Sapphire I'm going to list is from Tanzania. il_794xN.1774953086_bg1u.jpg il_794xN.1774953324_pmpy.jpg il_794xN.1774953374_rmfm.jpg il_794xN.1822406565_o865.jpg il_794xN.1822406507_122r.jpg

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
Hi, gang! I've only just VERY recently started to give the precious colored gemstone thing a whirl (up until now all my experience has been with extremely inexpensive semi-precious colored stones--- almost all of 'em in cabochon form). So to say that faceted precious colored gemstones are a tad confusing to me is quite an understatement. ;-)

Anywhoo! I have my eye on a couple of blue Sapphires, a few pink sapphires, and a ruby. I have found a couple of sellers who seem to be extremely forthright and trustworthy, but I would love to pick everyone's brain here on the relative quality (and price) of the gemstones I'm considering. The first one is a small Ceylon sapphire (from what I've read online Ceylon sapps are supposed to be the shit, right? ), and HERE is the listing for it:
meduim-dark, blue-purple or purple-blue, oval cut unheated sapphire loose stone for jewelry supply and crafting. This sapphire expresses some light-source color change; more blue under natural sunlight and more purple under artificial incandescent light.

Color: Blue-purple or purple-blue
Total Carat Weight: .61
Length: 5.5mm
Width: 4.3mm
Treatment Method: None
Mined In: Sri Lanka (Ceylon)

The seller is in the US, and he is asking $92 for it. That sounds like a very reasonable price to me. But like I said, I have very limited experience and knowledge with precious color gemstones. What do you guys think about the quality of this gem? And the price? And do you consider Ceylon Sapphires to be more desired overall than ones from Tanzania generally? The other Sapphire I'm going to list is from Tanzania. il_794xN.1774953086_bg1u.jpg il_794xN.1774953324_pmpy.jpg il_794xN.1774953374_rmfm.jpg il_794xN.1822406565_o865.jpg il_794xN.1822406507_122r.jpg

And here is the other blue Sapphire I'm trying to decide on. It is slightly bigger than the other one, but from Tanzania instead of Ceylon. HERE is the listing/deets:

bi-color, blue and purple, oval cut sapphire loose stone for jewelry supply and crafting.

Color: Blue and purple bi-color
Total Carat Weight: .81
Length: 6mm
Width: 4mm
Treatment Method: Low heat (if any)
Mined In: Tanzania

He is asking $85 for this stone. Which one of these two sapphires do you prefer? A d why? Thanks in advance! I'm REALLY looking forward to hearing you seasoned colored gemstone vets hold forth. :P2:P2

Attachments

• il_794xN.1628356522_lfx2.jpg
    il_794xN.1628356522_lfx2.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 0
  • il_794xN.1628356466_pz5j.jpg
    il_794xN.1628356466_pz5j.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 0
  • il_794xN.1675781209_cwh5.jpg
    il_794xN.1675781209_cwh5.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 0
  • il_794xN.1675781241_7uuo.jpg
    il_794xN.1675781241_7uuo.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 0
  • il_75x75.1675781121_65fa.jpg
    il_75x75.1675781121_65fa.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 0

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
And here is the other blue Sapphire I'm trying to decide on. It is slightly bigger than the other one, but from Tanzania instead of Ceylon. HERE is the listing/deets:

bi-color, blue and purple, oval cut sapphire loose stone for jewelry supply and crafting.

Color: Blue and purple bi-color
Total Carat Weight: .81
Treatment Method: Low heat (if any)

He is asking $85 for this stone. Which one of these two sapphires do you prefer? A d why? Thanks in advance! I'm REALLY looking forward to hearing you seasoned colored gemstone vets hold forth. :P2:P2

Ok, now HERE is a really nice-sized pink sapphire I'm looking at from a very trustworthy seller I've bought stuff from in the past (he took over the family business from his father out in El Paso, and he is actually a GIA certified gemologist).

Item: Natural Sapphire
Quantity: 1
Size: 7.83 x 5.56 x 2.82mm
Shape: Oval Cut
Clarity: SI
Color: Medium Pink
Weight: 0.78ct
Origin: Sri-Lanka
Treatment: Heat Treated (Standard non detectable treatment on all Sapphires)

NOT Glass Filled!!!

He is asking $80 for this gemstone. I feel like that is a fantastic price for such a large Stone. Do you guys agee? I recently bought a very small pink sapphire that he listed as medium pink(just as he lists THIS one as medium pink), and I thought the color saturation was fantastic on it. Very vivid and bright, bordering on magenta. I'm guessing the low price is due to the fact that it is slightly included? And as a general rule, is it considered bad form to select sapphires that are SI?

and HERE is the other pink sapphire I'm considering:

hot pink or magenta pink, oval cut, natural sapphire loose stone.

Color: Magenta-Pink
Carat weight: .51
Clarity: Eye-clean - slightly included
Depth: 2.5mm
Treatment Method: Basic heat (if any)

Which one do you like better? And are sapphires from Sri Lanka considered more valuable than ones from tanzania? Or does it matter? He is asking $85 for this one. I LOVE the nice dark vivid color, but it is essentially two sizes smaller than the other one. Do you think making a slight concession on color with the other stone is worth it to get an 8x6 mm oval pink sapphire? Or do you think it makes more sense to go with this darker (and definitely more deeply pink) rock?

Attachments

• il_794xN.1971218925_de91.jpg
    il_794xN.1971218925_de91.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 3
  • il_794xN.1971218673_imv8.jpg
    il_794xN.1971218673_imv8.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 3
  • il_794xN.1923677568_6k61.jpg
    il_794xN.1923677568_6k61.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
Ok, now HERE is a really nice-sized pink sapphire I'm looking at from a very trustworthy seller I've bought stuff from in the past (he took over the family business from his father out in El Paso, and he is actually a GIA certified gemologist).

Item: Natural Sapphire
Quantity: 1
Size: 7.83 x 5.56 x 2.82mm
Shape: Oval Cut
Clarity: SI
Color: Medium Pink
Weight: 0.78ct
Origin: Sri-Lanka
Treatment: Heat Treated (Standard non detectable treatment on all Sapphires)

NOT Glass Filled!!!

He is asking $80 for this gemstone. I feel like that is a fantastic price for such a large Stone. Do you guys agee? I recently bought a very small pink sapphire that he listed as medium pink(just as he lists THIS one as medium pink), and I thought the color saturation was fantastic on it. Very vivid and bright, bordering on magenta. I'm guessing the low price is due to the fact that it is slightly included? And as a general rule, is it considered bad form to select sapphires that are SI?

and HERE is the other pink sapphire I'm considering:

hot pink or magenta pink, oval cut, natural sapphire loose stone.

Color: Magenta-Pink
Carat weight: .51
Clarity: Eye-clean - slightly included
Depth: 2.5mm
Treatment Method: Basic heat (if any)

Which one do you like better? And are sapphires from Sri Lanka considered more valuable than ones from tanzania? Or does it matter? He is asking $85 for this one. I LOVE the nice dark vivid color, but it is essentially two sizes smaller than the other one. Do you think making a slight concession on color with the other stone is worth it to get an 8x6 mm oval pink sapphire? Or do you think it makes more sense to go with this darker (and definitely more deeply pink) rock?

Sorry! I forgot to include the last set of pics for the smaller (but more richly pink) sapphire. Here they are: il_794xN.1635389046_80bn.jpg il_794xN.1682814665_leo6.jpg il_794xN.1682814743_qzwe.jpg il_794xN.1682814725_fl4l.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you mind if I’m honest? Although the price is good for all stones there’s a reason. Firstly the two pinks are not good stones. Both have windows that you could see through from the moon - this is often seen in badly cut or cheaper stones. In real life this would be incredibly distracting because the colour accumulates around the edges and you’d see your skin through the middle. Also in the first pink there are lots of inclusions that you see before you see the stone.

Some people don’t mind windows and inclusions but typically you get what you pay for. If these stones appeal to you then by all means buy them but unfortunately they are not good specimens.

For the same but slightly different reasons the blues are not great. In real life they may look very dark and the cut is off on both which again is something that may annoy you the more you know about gemstones.

Have you read the thread pinned at the top of this forum for those new to buying gemstones? That might give you a few pointers on what to look for.

If I were you I’d put the money together and look for one better quality gem that you will love for years to come

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
Do you mind if I’m honest? Although the price is good for all stones there’s a reason. Firstly the two pinks are not good stones. Both have windows that you could see through from the moon - this is often seen in badly cut or cheaper stones. In real life this would be incredibly distracting because the colour accumulates around the edges and you’d see your skin through the middle. Also in the first pink there are lots of inclusions that you see before you see the stone.

Some people don’t mind windows and inclusions but typically you get what you pay for. If these stones appeal to you then by all means buy them but unfortunately they are not good specimens.

For the same but slightly different reasons the blues are not great. In real life they may look very dark and the cut is off on both which again is something that may annoy you the more you know about gemstones.

Have you read the thread pinned at the top of this forum for those new to buying gemstones? That might give you a few pointers on what to look for.

If I were you I’d put the money together and look for one better quality gem that you will love for years to come

Thanks for your feedback, LD. I mean, I knew those prices were low, sure. :razz: but I figured that was partially because the stones were so small (with the exception of the 8x6 pink sapphire, which I thought was reduced in price because of the SI clarity). I thought the color was pretty decent overall on the larger SI Stone, all things considered. And as I mentioned, I have seen a much smaller pink sapphire in person from the same seller that was also listed as medium pink and it was actually very nice. Good color saturation, and no noticeable pooling of color at the edges. For less than $100--- even with the inclusions--- if this one looked almost as good as that smaller pink Sapphire I inspected color-wise I think it would look pretty sharp in a sterling silver setting. A pretty pop of color on an extremely tight budget.

But I would be VERY interested in hearing the price range that I should expect to pay for a quality pink sapphire (and a Ceylon blue sapphire) in the 5×4mm or 6×4mm size range. Do you think you ( and other colored gemstones savvy members ;-) ) could give me some info on prices they have paid for quality stones in that size range? SUPER curious. 'cuz you're right--- if the quality was significantly noticeable paying at least twice as much for the same sizes (well, it would probably be five times as much for a quality 8 x 6 mm even with an SI designation :-o) would be worth it. I would also greatly appreciate a few suggestions on some reliable vendors with good prices on mid-range quality stuff in small sizes. Seems like I remember hearing finewater gems (sp.?) mentioned on several occasions, for instance...

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
@LD could I get your opinion on this natural ruby? the same fellow out in El Paso is selling a 5×4mm ruby for just over $100, and the clarity is VS. I know I'm a complete novice when it comes to evaluating precious colored gemstones, but this one looks REALLY pretty to me. And I have a cute solid yellow gold setting that would work perfectly for the stone... and the combination of that vivid dark red color and the yellow gold should really pop, don'tcha think? I was thinking it would make a nifty Christmas present for my girlfriend (or I could give it to my mom if she dumps me before then). :P2 il_794xN.1662692443_9ww1.jpg il_794xN.1615260444_idhb.jpg

voce

Ideal_Rock
This would be my pick of sapphire. $98 but much better cut than either one you posted.

Imo, the pink ones you posted are cheap not because of clarity, but because of the huge windows. They are the types of gems PS veterans avoid because the windows just bother us and we can't enjoy the gems.

gingercurls

Shiny_Rock
I think that @LD gave you some excellent advice. You are definitely getting what you pay for. These stones are poorly cut and included and none of the colors wow me. Also, I felt the need to point out that in one of the descriptions it says that heat treatment of sapphires is not detectable. This is entirely false and anyone, particularly a gemologist, who says that is not a true professional.

I suggest you buy one nicer quality stone instead of multiple poor quality ones. Mastercutgems.com is a great website with very pretty stones that are wonderfully cut and come in a wide variety of price points.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
+ 1 to what others are saying as to the importance of cut

The difference it makes is the biggest think I've learned from being here on PS

(This doesn't mean it has to be what PSers refer to as precision cut - there are plenty of well/decent native cut stones to be found as well).

Last edited:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two suggestions:

1. Read the “new to gemstone” thread pinned to the top of the group

and

2. Read the pinned thread that has a list of vendors used by PSers.

When we first start collecting we lean towards colour but shortly after you start to see the importance of a good cut to really show off the gem. You don’t need to buy a precision cut gem because there are lots of very “decent” native cut gemstones that will steal your heart. When I started collecting I spent lots on gems that I wouldn’t give a second glance to now but that’s just because it’s a learning journey. I didn’t have the knowledge of forums like these so take your time and don’t buy from somebody just because you have before because if they sell low quality gems you might be throwing good money away.

Have a look at Precision Cut Gems. Gene contributes on this forum and although he now includes synthetics his natural gemstones are always stunning and his photos are true to life.

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
I think that @LD gave you some excellent advice. You are definitely getting what you pay for. These stones are poorly cut and included and none of the colors wow me. Also, I felt the need to point out that in one of the descriptions it says that heat treatment of sapphires is not detectable. This is entirely false and anyone, particularly a gemologist, who says that is not a true professional.

I suggest you buy one nicer quality stone instead of multiple poor quality ones. Mastercutgems.com is a great website with very pretty stones that are wonderfully cut and come in a wide variety of price points.

The seller who listed the lack of treatment is the fellow in colorado, NOT the gemologist. :P2 Thank you very much for your advice and expertise, however. I really appreciate it. You're right, quality beats out quantity every time. I think I just kinda had higher hopes (and lower expectations) for the one pink sapphire in particular due to it being relatively large. :razz:

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
@LD could I get your opinion on this natural ruby? the same fellow out in El Paso is selling a 5×4mm ruby for just over $100, and the clarity is VS. I know I'm a complete novice when it comes to evaluating precious colored gemstones, but this one looks REALLY pretty to me. And I have a cute solid yellow gold setting that would work perfectly for the stone... and the combination of that vivid dark red color and the yellow gold should really pop, don'tcha think? I was thinking it would make a nifty Christmas present for my girlfriend (or I could give it to my mom if she dumps me before then). :P2 il_794xN.1662692443_9ww1.jpg il_794xN.1615260444_idhb.jpg

@voce @gingercurls what do you think about this one in terms of color saturation and overall quality? Like I mentioned, he is asking a $105 for a small 5x4 mm oval. And this fellow is very trustworthy and transparent. Do you consider the cut quality to be poor enough to impact too negatively for enjoyment of the stone? From the pictures it look like it would REALLY pop with a yellow gold setting. I'd also like to hear the opinion of anyone else who has one about this particular Stone as well. Thanks!

Believe it or not, I actually know quite a bit about super ideal cut diamonds (after shitloads of research :P2 ), but I am as green as grass when it comes to precious colored gemstones. But as @LD wisely suggested, I have already started reading the thread here about people who are new to colored gems. What a great resource! You peeps REALLY know your stuff. And I love all the pictures people post here of their colored gemstone jewelry.

shelovesinclusions

Shiny_Rock
Small royal blue sapphires were on my birthday wishlist, and the ones my husband got did end up being slightly darker than the studio light pictures from the vendor. One errs grayer than the photos and I should have known that any gray in a vendor pic would be amped up irl. I feel like once you get to medium darkness of sapphires, it's best practice to assume it'll be one to two shades darker if you don't get extra pictures or videos. All my new ones have zoning I didn't notice when picking them, which doesn't bother me, but I've since learned is not uncommon in Tanzania and Madagascar sapphires so ask about that if it's a problem for you. The zoning can show up dramatically at certain tilted angles sometimes.

Watch out for stones that show big windows in magnified pictures, even if they are small stones. I have some tiny peach sapphires (5x3) with windows I convinced myself wouldn't be visible because of the small size & I was wrong. I don't mind windows to an extent (and have seen pretty "portrait cut" ones) but now I sort of feel like windows in small gems are less forgivable than in larger ones when I look at them because there is less color & brilliance area showing. For me, the worst combo is a blue/violet sapphire with a window because the window will turn to a neutral grey or brown on top of warm skin tones.

Also, here's a link to a smaller (6x4) sapphire from Litnon that looks pretty color in pictures, which I feel is a reasonable price.

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
Small royal blue sapphires were on my birthday wishlist, and the ones my husband got did end up being slightly darker than the studio light pictures from the vendor. One errs grayer than the photos and I should have known that any gray in a vendor pic would be amped up irl. I feel like once you get to medium darkness of sapphires, it's best practice to assume it'll be one to two shades darker if you don't get extra pictures or videos. All my new ones have zoning I didn't notice when picking them, which doesn't bother me, but I've since learned is not uncommon in Tanzania and Madagascar sapphires so ask about that if it's a problem for you. The zoning can show up dramatically at certain tilted angles sometimes.

Watch out for stones that show big windows in magnified pictures, even if they are small stones. I have some tiny peach sapphires (5x3) with windows I convinced myself wouldn't be visible because of the small size & I was wrong. I don't mind windows to an extent (and have seen pretty "portrait cut" ones) but now I sort of feel like windows in small gems are less forgivable than in larger ones when I look at them because there is less color & brilliance area showing. For me, the worst combo is a blue/violet sapphire with a window because the window will turn to a neutral grey or brown on top of warm skin tones.

Also, here's a link to a smaller (6x4) sapphire from Litnon that looks pretty color in pictures, which I feel is a reasonable price.

Thanks!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortinately these are inexpensive because they are poorly cut and/or included. I definitely wouldn't buy any of them.

matt_k

Shiny_Rock

Very nice pics on that 6×4mm Ceylon sapphire. I like it!

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
Unfortinately these are inexpensive because they are poorly cut and/or included. I definitely wouldn't buy any of them.

Thanks! Yes, I'm DEF passing on those blue and pink sapps I listed earlier. But what do ya think of the little 5×4mm ruby? Decent?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! Yes, I'm DEF passing on those blue and pink sapps I listed earlier. But what do ya think of the little 5×4mm ruby? Decent?

No, also very bad. Will look black IRL I think.

voce

Ideal_Rock

This is what I would call a garnet-like ruby. I really don't want to pass judgement without seeing it under direct sunlight, but I too suspect it would look darker (too dark for my personal preference) after setting.

I think you can do much better spending the same $100 towards a bigger garnet.

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
This is what I would call a garnet-like ruby. I really don't want to pass judgement without seeing it under direct sunlight, but I too suspect it would look darker (too dark for my personal preference) after setting.

I think you can do much better spending the same $100 towards a bigger garnet.

Thanks for your input. I'd lots rather have a halfway decent lil' ruby, tho--- a natural one that hasn't been filled with glass. Do you have any suggestions on where I can find one that is reasonably nice on a tight budget?

voce

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your input. I'd lots rather have a halfway decent lil' ruby, tho--- a natural one that hasn't been filled with glass. Do you have any suggestions on where I can find one that is reasonably nice on a tight budget?

Define tight budget. Below $100 I'm afraid the only acceptable one above 4mm is the one you already posted. I've bought some tiny ones I'm happy with from mine planet on Etsy, but they were 4mm or smaller.

Until you have a certain larger budget, it's really not worth buying a ruby simply to be able to say you own a ruby. I'd rather take a pretty tourmaline over an ugly ruby any day. And I actually covet pretty spinels more than sapphires or rubies.

Please don't be fixated on the ruby name. Unless you have to buy it as a birthstone, it's not worth buying one that's not a fine specimen.

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
Define tight budget. Below $100 I'm afraid the only acceptable one above 4mm is the one you already posted. I've bought some tiny ones I'm happy with from mine planet on Etsy, but they were 4mm or smaller.

Until you have a certain larger budget, it's really not worth buying a ruby simply to be able to say you own a ruby. I'd rather take a pretty tourmaline over an ugly ruby any day. And I actually covet pretty spinels more than sapphires or rubies.

Please don't be fixated on the ruby name. Unless you have to buy it as a birthstone, it's not worth buying one that's not a fine specimen.

Excellent advice! Would definitely rather have a nice small Ruby than a mediocre one at a larger size. In terms of budget I was hoping to get a nice lil' 5x4mm oval Ruby for the twisty band yellow gold setting I have in mind for it in the $150 range if possible. I definitely like several of the blue and pink sapphires I've seen so far on mine planet in the $129 to $320 price range for 5×4mm to 6×4mm sizes (thanks again for the suggestion--- it is a nice etsy shop). But for an actual Ruby I would rather it be closer to the blood red color than pink. What you said about nice tourmalines is right on the money, however--- a pretty rubelite tourmaline in the 6×4mm to 7×5mm size range will usually eat a substandard natural ruby's lunch in terms of overall loveliness.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem with rubies is that they are very desirable and expensive.
Because of this there are many unscrupulous people who will “improve” a ruby to make it more saleable ie glass filling, BE treatment. That’s why it’s unwise to buy a ruby without a reputable lab report. And that causes a $70 plus shipping x 2 problem, the cost of a report.
So buying a $200 ruby without a lab report is a risk, a risk that the ruby is actually worth next to nothing because of treatments.
Rubies come in many tones/hues from pink to purple to pigeon blood red. Rubies come in many clarities from opaque to transparent. Rubies can have surface reaching fissures (cracks) and rubies come in many qualities from native cut to precision cut.
All these factors affect pricing.
In my opinion on a modest budget it would be better to buy a lab grown ruby.

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
The problem with rubies is that they are very desirable and expensive.
Because of this there are many unscrupulous people who will “improve” a ruby to make it more saleable ie glass filling, BE treatment. That’s why it’s unwise to buy a ruby without a reputable lab report. And that causes a $70 plus shipping x 2 problem, the cost of a report.
So buying a $200 ruby without a lab report is a risk, a risk that the ruby is actually worth next to nothing because of treatments.
Rubies come in many tones/hues from pink to purple to pigeon blood red. Rubies come in many clarities from opaque to transparent. Rubies can have surface reaching fissures (cracks) and rubies come in many qualities from native cut to precision cut.
All these factors affect pricing.
In my opinion on a modest budget it would be better to buy a lab grown ruby.

Thanks, bron! Excellent (and sobering) advice.

matt_k

Shiny_Rock

I'm currently absolutely in love with THIS little 6×5mm oval Ceylon blue sapphire. I think it looks AMAZING from every angle, and it even comes with a "reputable" lab report. What do you guys think of it? I'd love to hear your feedback.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm currently absolutely in love with THIS little 6×5mm oval Ceylon blue sapphire. I think it looks AMAZING from every angle, and it even comes with a "reputable" lab report. What do you guys think of it? I'd love to hear your feedback.

Theres a reason this is cheap. It is very dark and the certificate isnt very helpful here.

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
Theres a reason this is cheap. It is very dark and the certificate isnt very helpful here.

$245 for such a tiny gemstone isn't exactly cheap. :-o I'm sure it may seem cheap for someone who buys precision cut bespoke colored gemstones from VERY expensive sites like finewater, but that is never gonna be an option for me. As for the darkness, I actually prefer the darker royal blue color compared to the more washed-out looking sapphires ( such as Montana sapps). From the video clip and the pictures the color saturation looks pretty great to me--- no overt color zoning, and definitely no "windows" effect. So beyond the fact that it is a relatively inexpensive stone, your biggest problem with it is the overall darkness?

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
Based off the video clip, the information provided, and the actual pictures what do the rest of you guys think about it? Would you consider it a respectably nice gem, all things considered? especially for someone who prefers a darker royal blue color?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results