shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice Needed - Concerned about Recent Purchase

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
lol well guys....my Jeweler fired me haha. He said i was too particular and he couldn't provide what i needed up to my standards...

So now i'm free to find my own stone and setting. For those who asked the question about what he was charging, i think you folks were correct, he was over charging me. He said it was going to be around $3k for the setting i want in platinum. After looking around i think it should be more along the lines of $1800 to $2400.

Total budget for stone and setting is roughly $17,500 to $18,000 ideally.

So glad i found this site with so many helpful and kind people!

LOL!!!! Blessing in disguise right there! :mrgreen2: I actually think that ID Jewelry would be a GREAT option for you. They are great at finding a beautiful stone on a tight budget, i think it would serve you well to call and speak to Yekutiel. He is very familiar with Pricescope standards and i'm certain you'll be happy with him. You can still post stones and images here for opinions too if you want.

Just thought i'd post this Ritani setting as well:
https://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/diamond-gallery-engagement-ring-in-platinum/21808

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lol well guys....my Jeweler fired me haha. He said i was too particular and he couldn't provide what i needed up to my standards...

So now i'm free to find my own stone and setting. For those who asked the question about what he was charging, i think you folks were correct, he was over charging me. He said it was going to be around $3k for the setting i want in platinum. After looking around i think it should be more along the lines of $1800 to $2400.

Definitely a blessing! :appl:I agree with reaching out to David Klass about a quote but also still think IDJ would be a nice option who could help with both the stone and setting.

c3doyle

Rough_Rock
However, it appears the OP is now happy with an I-J stone. Which makes no sense that a F is too yellow, but an I is great.

So, it wasn't that the F was too yellow, i took her there to do an experiment. Since she had only seen loose stones, set face down next to each other ranging from E to I (which i now have learned is a common sales tactic, to an extent, to make you spend more on a higher color grade), she thought in order for it to be a white looking stone it had to be an E or F. i tried to convince her that a H or I, potentially even a J in a platinum setting that is cut in a super ideal fashion is going to face up and sparkle white and i could tell you that the I is an F and you would probably never know the difference. Not to mention the setting is more of a basket type so much of the profile/sides will be reflecting platinum all around. She didn't believe me...so off to Kay we went and i showed her 4 different diamonds set in solitaire, ranging from F to I in random order. I think she was trying to prove that she could tell the difference in color and it backfired lol. because the one she thought looked the least white was actually the best color i showed her.

In addition, these were all GSI rated stones, with good or very good cuts, nothing excellent. So i am somewhat thinking that the "I" she was shown could potentially be a J in GIA standards? does anyone know if the whole drop 1 grade lower for EGL/IGI certs when compared to GIA/AGS certs applies to GSI grading?

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@farrahlyn i think i will give him a call! So i don't embarrass myself, lol; how do you pronounce the name?

is it something like "yi-coo-teal" or is it more like "yi-cut-el"?

yeh - COO - tea - el

You can also google it, there are some websites that you can click to hear the pronunciation.

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
@farrahlyn i think i will give him a call! So i don't embarrass myself, lol; how do you pronounce the name?

is it something like "yi-coo-teal" or is it more like "yi-cut-el"?

I believe it is pronounced Yekutiel (ee-ku-tee-ell). You're in good hands with IDJ, be sure to mention you want Pricescope quality and you will be very pleased with the end result.

beardog

Rough_Rock
Another benefit heading down the super ideal road is that many of these vendors have excellent upgrade policies. With WF Its a complete credit on upgrade on any Stone 1$ more I believe. That gives you breathing room if you want to risk color or ct now

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, it wasn't that the F was too yellow, i took her there to do an experiment. Since she had only seen loose stones, set face down next to each other ranging from E to I (which i now have learned is a common sales tactic, to an extent, to make you spend more on a higher color grade), she thought in order for it to be a white looking stone it had to be an E or F. i tried to convince her that a H or I, potentially even a J in a platinum setting that is cut in a super ideal fashion is going to face up and sparkle white and i could tell you that the I is an F and you would probably never know the difference. Not to mention the setting is more of a basket type so much of the profile/sides will be reflecting platinum all around. She didn't believe me...so off to Kay we went and i showed her 4 different diamonds set in solitaire, ranging from F to I in random order. I think she was trying to prove that she could tell the difference in color and it backfired lol. because the one she thought looked the least white was actually the best color i showed her.

In addition, these were all GSI rated stones, with good or very good cuts, nothing excellent. So i am somewhat thinking that the "I" she was shown could potentially be a J in GIA standards? does anyone know if the whole drop 1 grade lower for EGL/IGI certs when compared to GIA/AGS certs applies to GSI grading?

Ah, gotcha on the color deal. :cool2:

I'm not sure there is a reliable way to convert other lab ratings to GIA/AGS lab ratings. The labs you mentioned are considered subpar and quite frankly untrustworthy data IMO. I like the fact you ran a blind test, but you may have gained more valuable information had you used GIA certified stones. Anything we would say is speculation since none of us saw the stones.

Speaking of certifications -- I will note that I've heard IDJ will present non-certified stones to potential buyers as a way to help them achieve their financial goals. This isn't necessarily bad, but you should be clear on what you are buying. I know IDJ has a strong reputation of picking great quality stones that meet PS standards, but I'm the type of buyer that would have a hard time being okay with spending that kind of money on a non-certified stone. I want to be clear I am not bad mouthing IDJ and I'm not implying they will show you non-certified stones, but if this is important to you then just make sure.

Additionally IDJ should have access to all the GIA stones we can pull, and maybe more. Here are a few I found this morning that I think are worth a serious look:

2.04ct I VS2, GIA XXX - $15,880
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R204-435941Z87?utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc

Freakin' gorgeous proportions! 57 table, 61.4 depth, 34.5 crown & 40.8 pavilion. Clarity is good too for a VS2! My favorite of the group. :love: :love: :love:

I'd like to see the lower girdle facets at 75%, but honestly, for your budget & other constraints I think this is a clear winner pending some images. Oh yeah, HCA score of 1.3 too! ;)2

Capture.PNG

2.01ct I VVS2, GIA XXX - $16,656
https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/2....&b=16.910&utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc

Love the clarity. Proportions are rather awesome as well. 57 table, 61.7 depth, 35 crown & 40.6 pavilion. Also has the 75 LGF's for fat arrows. HCA score of 0.9.

Capture2.PNG

2.01ct I VS1, GIA XXX - $16,228
https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/2....&b=16.475&utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc

Again, really great proportions and great clarity. 55 table, 62.2 depth, 34 crown, 40.8 pavilion & 80 LGF's. This one pulls an HCA of 1.1. I'd prefer to see the depth < 62 but I'm not too concerned at 62.2.

Capture3.PNG

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

YAY! I am glad the jeweler decided to let you find what you will like instead of trying to sell you a inferior cut stone and hope you don't find out what they were doing!

I am sure you can find something nice in time to propose!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ohh these are all quite nice!

i came across this one earlier today. what are your thoughts?

https://www.fourmine.com/shop/diamo...ce=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=2017

HCA = .9

I'm not a fan. The crown is getting pretty shallow at 33.5 and will produce less fire and more white light return. Also, I do not like the arrows. It appears they have no contrast which will make for a flat looking diamond IMO.

Keep in mind that even though GIA is well respected and trusted, they do average and then round their values. So the 33.5 crown that you see could be better or worse. My fear is it gets even worse.

If you are considering any of these stones, I'd recommend you call and place them on hold and request Idealscope and/or ASET images. People will poach them from you if you hem-haw too long. And quite frankly, there isn't a plethora of well cut stones within your budget and criteria.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Here’s a diamond I would consider if you go the route of David Klass making your setting.

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/....040-k-vs1-round-diamond-ags-cbl-104102258027

It’s in budget, and I don’t usually recommend a K color, but since your fiancée to be didn’t seem super color sensitive when you took her to a jewelry store, this could be a great stone for her. I just bought a K stone from Brian Gavin and it looks no more yellow than my I stone also from them. Plus this stone is super well cut and has strong blue fluorescence to offset some of that color.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
2.01ct I VVS2, GIA XXX - $16,656
https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/2....&b=16.910&utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc

2.01ct I VS1, GIA XXX - $16,228
https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/2....&b=16.475&utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc

Again, really great proportions and great clarity. 55 table, 62.2 depth, 34 crown, 40.8 pavilion & 80 LGF's. This one pulls an HCA of 1.1. I'd prefer to see the depth < 62 but I'm not too concerned at 62.2.

@sledge just pointing out the two stones (2.01 carat), 1 with 61.7% and the one with 62.2% have exactly the same spread and diameter. The 62.2 is a none issue and often is with smaller tables due to different weight distribution in the stone.

c3doyle

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone,

I figured I couldn’t pick a stone and not let you all know! I purchased this one earlier today. It checked all my boxes and then some.

Pav angle is a bit high, but still scored a 1.3 on the HCA and the video it showed made it look beautiful.

Looks like symmetry and the arrows are good. So I think I have a good stone on my hands, hopefully!

It cost about 1k more than my last one but I think all around it’s worth it.

Thanks for all your help!

https://www.yadavjewelry.com/products/Round-diamond-I-VS1-YD3976035

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey everyone,

I figured I couldn’t pick a stone and not let you all know! I purchased this one earlier today. It checked all my boxes and then some.

Pav angle is a bit high, but still scored a 1.3 on the HCA and the video it showed made it look beautiful.

Looks like symmetry and the arrows are good. So I think I have a good stone on my hands, hopefully!

LOL, that pavilion angle is not too high. Those proportions are freakin' gorgeous! 34.5 crown, 40.8 pavilion and 55 table. I'd like to see 75 LGF's but that is just being picky. Besides with the way GIA rounds LGF values a reported 80 LGF (like your cert states) can actually be anywhere from 77-82. Looking at the pic and video, the arrows appear decently fat so I'm guessing the actual LGF's are closer to the 77 side of the range.

By the way, this stone was suggested in another thread earlier today. That person seemed uninterested because of the strong fluor and being about $1k over their initial budget. Just curious if that's where you saw it, or if you found it another way.

Either way, it's a great stone and happens to have my preferred 34.5/40.8 angle combo. I think it will be a fireball of awesomeness! Congrats!! Be sure to post back actual pics once you get it.

c3doyle

Rough_Rock
LOL, that pavilion angle is not too high. Those proportions are freakin' gorgeous! 34.5 crown, 40.8 pavilion and 55 table. I'd like to see 75 LGF's but that is just being picky. Besides with the way GIA rounds LGF values a reported 80 LGF (like your cert states) can actually be anywhere from 77-82. Looking at the pic and video, the arrows appear decently fat so I'm guessing the actual LGF's are closer to the 77 side of the range.

By the way, this stone was suggested in another thread earlier today. That person seemed uninterested because of the strong fluor and being about $1k over their initial budget. Just curious if that's where you saw it, or if you found it another way.

Either way, it's a great stone and happens to have my preferred 34.5/40.8 angle combo. I think it will be a fireball of awesomeness! Congrats!! Be sure to post back actual pics once you get it.

Nope I actually found a 2.21 I liked but before I pulled the trigger I did one last search and found this one and just knew it was the one!

Phew! I’m glad it passed your test and the specs look good!! Can’t wait to see it!

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
Hey everyone,

Great choice! I'm also a huge fan of those proportions. Looking forward to seeing some hand shots.

c3doyle

Rough_Rock
Hey what was the thread called where this stone was mentioned? Would like to read through it.

Thanks!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Damn it’s actually 2.5k higher. I got it for $16003

Yes, sorry. I remembered the wrong amount. I was mobile and multi tasking and failed, lol.

Either way...killer diamond for a steal. Again, congrats and job well done. :cool2:

c3doyle

Rough_Rock
@sledge @crbl999 and others! finally got the ring in the mail, but still waiting on the settings from EVS designs. I think this thing is gorgeous! i can't thank all of you enough for steering me in the right direction and helping me find the perfect stone. I am so happy i decided to cancel my first order and keep hunting until i found this one.

I am not diamond expert nor can i say that i have seen a bunch, but i have seen maybe 8-10 engagement rings within my friend circle. I don't want to brag, but I think this stone makes all those I've seen, pale in comparison. This thing is just like a disco ball with a ball of fire inside of it. I literally can't stop staring at it all the time. Not to mention, it is so much fun taking it around to different light sources and seeing how it reacts, i love the strong blue fluor that pops out here and there. It is like a little chameleon, it looks different every step i take.

I work in IT, and i am kind of a nerd so i put together a short video clip of the stone. Now that i am no longer searching for diamonds, i have to distract myself somehow for 2 months until i get to give it to the love of my life.

Here is the video.

The password is "shiny" without the quotes.

Wanted to make it private just in case the future wife was snooping around lol.

let me know your thoughts!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge @crbl999 and others! finally got the ring in the mail, but still waiting on the settings from EVS designs. I think this thing is gorgeous! i can't thank all of you enough for steering me in the right direction and helping me find the perfect stone. I am so happy i decided to cancel my first order and keep hunting until i found this one.

I am not diamond expert nor can i say that i have seen a bunch, but i have seen maybe 8-10 engagement rings within my friend circle. I don't want to brag, but I think this stone makes all those I've seen, pale in comparison. This thing is just like a disco ball with a ball of fire inside of it. I literally can't stop staring at it all the time. Not to mention, it is so much fun taking it around to different light sources and seeing how it reacts, i love the strong blue fluor that pops out here and there. It is like a little chameleon, it looks different every step i take.

I work in IT, and i am kind of a nerd so i put together a short video clip of the stone. Now that i am no longer searching for diamonds, i have to distract myself somehow for 2 months until i get to give it to the love of my life.

Here is the video.

I think the above video says it all -- complete slam dunk! And love that video game too. :lol:

I never had any doubts it would be a performer. The proportions on the stone was amazing and you got a STEAL of a deal. So glad this has worked out for you. Can't wait to see it set in the final setting from EVS. Job well done sir. :cool2:

FYI -- your ability to edit your thread is time sensitive (30 minutes I think) so if you think she may be a PS snooper, you may consider changing the password eventually. Or since you are a nerd, just setup your home router to block the ip address here using the MAC addresses of her devices only.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous! It is a fireball! She’s going to be crazy happy!

c3doyle

Rough_Rock
if you think she may be a PS snooper, you may consider changing the password eventually.

haha i can't imagine she would ever find this forum, she is the opposite of me in terms of being a tech nerd. I was more thinking just in case it came up somehow on vimeo, since it's connected to my gmail. Then again, she barely uses e-mail and/or probably doesn't know what vimeo is lol. She's a future Veterinarian and I work in healthcare IT, just like most doctors I work with, she doesn't have time for techy stuff

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s huge and gorgeous and I can see the arrows!

What size is it? I don’t feel like digging back to find it, sorry!

Oh, I suggest you buy a $39.99 magnasonic from amazon to clean it. Diamonds get filthy, especially if you are playing with it.

c3doyle

Rough_Rock
It’s huge and gorgeous and I can see the arrows!

What size is it? I don’t feel like digging back to find it, sorry!

Oh, I suggest you buy a $39.99 magnasonic from amazon to clean it. Diamonds get filthy, especially if you are playing with it.

2.17, but to me it looks huge, even on my fingers lol. and good idea on the magnasonic, i will check it out! i can only imagine once i give it to her i will be a freak about cleaning it for her and taking care of it. it'll be like my little pride and joy

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2.17, but to me it looks huge, even on my fingers lol. and good idea on the magnasonic, i will check it out! i can only imagine once i give it to her i will be a freak about cleaning it for her and taking care of it. it'll be like my little pride and joy

It does look huge!! It looks incredible, great job!

Nicfit

Rough_Rock
@c3doyle what a stunner, she’s gonna love it! Congrats :)

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock

Here is the video.

Stone looks amazing! Looking forward to seeing more pics once it's set.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results