shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice Needed - Concerned about Recent Purchase

c3doyle

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone!

I am hoping someone can give me some insight and either put my mind at ease or point my in the right direction.

I have been reading the forum and utilizing the tools/education sections to help me pick my perfect diamond. I have been working with a jeweler and all of the stones he was showing me were just way over budget. He told me that it was impossible to find a mostly eye clean diamond, over 2 carats, h color or above, with excellent cut,polish and symmetry. He showed me a 2.01 carat, J color stone that was an SI1 eye clean that was $15,900. He said if i wanted something similar in the h or g range it was going to cost $17,500 to $19,000.

After doing a bunch of research online and looking at online retailers I knew this just couldn't be correct, because i was seeing a plethora of stones within my budget ($15,000 to $16,000) with the specs i wanted. I found a stone i thought would be perfect and it was brand new to the retailers website. I thought that i should make the purchase before it was gone. After i made the purchase i still kept and eye out for other items just in case i found something more appealing. During that time, i also began to learn that not all excellent cut rated diamonds are created equal, and that the pavilion and crown angles play a major part into the beauty of a stone.

After learning this i am freaking myself out for two reasons. Now that i have purchased this stone, my line of credit on the my credit card doesn't have enough room to purchase something else at the same time as this one, so i would have to wait until i get it and return it. In addition, my engagement date is 12/23/18 and the jeweler says he needs 6 weeks to have the ring ready. Now it's coming down to the wire and i have everything planned and arranged for the engagement, but if i don't have a ring then none of my planning matters.

So here are the specs and my question. Is this diamond going to look bad? will it be dull? i'm not sure what to think because i thought that if GIA rated it excellent on everything and that it looked nice on the online pictures and the 360 video that i had a winner? Should i call the retailer and cancel the order before i even see it? I don't know if i will have enough time to receive it, review it, and if i don't like it return it to get my line of credit back to purchase something else. It's supposed to ship by this Friday 10/19/18.

Any insight anyone can offer is greatly appreciated. i know it might not fall into what the experts here say is "Ideal" or "super ideal", but what i want to know is it still going to be a beautiful stone, but just not as beautiful as it could be? Are people going to see it and think, that's a bland looking stone? I'm freaking out a little bit because the HCA score was 4.1 i think, and i saw other posts on here were people we saying things like "Barf" or "gross". it seemed like a really good stone for the price, but I know that if something seems to good to be true then it probably is...did i make a huge mistake?

Specs:
Round
2.03 carat
H Color
Clarity: SI1 (it is eye clean)
Excellent Cut, Polish & Symmetry
Medium blue Fluorescence
Price: $14,880
Table: 58%
Depth: 62%
LW Ratio: 1
Measurements: 8.12 x 8.09 x 5.03
Crown Angle: 33
crown hiehgt: 13.5%
Pavilion angle: 41.6
Pavilion Depth: 44.5%
Star length: 50%
lower half: 80%
Cutlet: none
Girdle: med - sli thick
Girdle %: 4

I really appreciate any help you can offer!

Sincerely,
Conner (a freaked out rookie buyer)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your budget for the stone itself? Cut is king in terms of a diamond looking good, and the one you got doesn't fall into what we would consider ideal. Do you have a link to the video/gia report? That also would help.

And are you set on using the local jeweler for a setting?

c3doyle

Rough_Rock
Hey lovedogs,

My budget for the stone is around $15 to 16k. The GIA Number is 5192423618.

I am somewhat set on using the current jeweler, only because we do know each other and he already has the setting i want ready.

I was thinking maybe i could drop to an I color to stay within budget to get a better cut, but my girlfriend's top 2 wishes were something at or above 2 carats and she doesn't want to it to look yellow. I am planning on putting it in a platinum setting, and from what i read H or G seems to be the best value. since you really can't see any yellow in the stone unless you put it next to a stone with a better color grade. Would an I start to show much more color then the H?

Even though it's not falling in the Ideal range, do you think it will still look nice?

thanks!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s an HCA 5.3

It’s a hard no for me. The angles aren’t complimentary. And it’s going to be leaky,

8806DD7F-33F9-4DA8-B1DF-71862287364E.jpeg

Tell him no and you want stones in this range:
Depth 60-62.3

Table 54-57

Pavilion 40.6 to 40.9

Crown 34-35

c3doyle

Rough_Rock
hey whitewave,

he didn't get the stone for me. i ordered it online and it hasnt shipped yet.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would cancel the whole order. I know going with an online vendor is scary, but they won't tell you a 5.3 HCA is a great diamond either.

You can find a different stone that is well cut and ring for that price in less than 6 weeks. 15K is a lot of money to spend on a ring, and it should be one you are happy with!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hey whitewave,

he didn't get the stone for me. i ordered it online and it hasnt shipped yet.

Cancel it. We can help you use the database search at the top of the page and get you a new stone. That is my advice but you are free to do what you want.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, I agree with others. You can do better, and 16K (for stone alone) is way too much money for something that isn't great. We can also help you find a setting if you are open to it!!!

c3doyle

Rough_Rock
Okay, it's sounding like overall i should cancel and keep looking. the only thing is i don't have 6 weeks to find the stone, i realistically need to have it by the week of 11/12/18, so that gives the jeweler 6 weeks to have the ring ready.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems excessive that the jeweler needs 6 weeks once he has the stone. What is the setting you are getting?

c3doyle

Rough_Rock
hey lovedogs,

I pretty much have my heart set on a setting. or i should say my girlfriend does.

I also thought 6 weeks seemed somewhat long just to set the stone....

it's something like this a pave solitaire with a hidden halo :

b8df5ad9427677b6a7262d008c3161a8.jpg

c3doyle

Rough_Rock
Also, when doing more searching for better proportions this is what i have gathered:

Best:
table: 56-58
depth: 61-62.5
crown: 33.9 - 34.8
pavilion: 40.5 - 41

Next best:
table: 53-59
depth: 59-62.8
crown: 33.9 - 35.5
pavilion: 40.5 - 42

Thoughts? are their ranges i should use other than this?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, when doing more searching for better proportions this is what i have gathered:

Best:

Next best:

Use the ranges @whitewave gave you.

c3doyle

Rough_Rock
oops, i missed that part of the post.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d call Martin at USA certified

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Use the search at the top of the page and run them through HCA

Also check MM because you could find like a 1.93 that might be as large as a 2.0 cut to retain weight.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, hear me out on this,

One choice is for you to do slightly down in size for a super ideal that will face up whiter because it is cut for edge to edge brilliance (I have two of these stones, though most of my diamonds come from blue Nile and B2C).

https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD9893
1.87J Si1 (eye clean, clear inclusions)
$15,524

The ring can be ready in about 3-4 weeks as they are currently making me one, so I know.

https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/education/education-color

I can find more later from other vendors after I get my glasses fixed, lol

Don’t use rare carat, use our database at the top of the screen

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Best:

Next best:

Neither of these proportion sets are what I would use or recommend. The most serious issue with both sets is the range of the pavilion angles. Since all of the numbers are averaged from eight individual measurements, we actually cannot know what the high and low numbers are in each averaged measurement unless we have an actual copy of the full measurement as taken by the machine used.

If, for example you have a measurement of 40.5 for the pavilion, and a deviation of 0.2 then you will have some of the pavilion angles as low as 40.3 and others as high as 40.7. At 40.4 you will observe darkness when looking at a diamond as the diamond is too obstructed. The closer you look, the darker those lower pavilion mains will become. At 40.3 the darkness in the pavilion will be even worse.

Conversely, at 42 degrees, you will have a leaky diamond, with too much of the diamond fleeing the scene before being returned to your eye. A diamond with this steep of a pavilion angle will NOT have edge to edge brilliance and will look smaller to the eye than it actually is.

cz-comparison-600.jpg

This is a photo of two stones, one cut very well, the other on the right is actually larger physically by measurement and weight. Notice how it looks much smaller than it actually is. Yet under the bright lights of a jewelry store, it can look very nice. The trick to seeing this is to place the diamond in the shadow of your hand to instantly see how it pales when not under bright lights.

I am pretty sure this is NOT what you want to present to anyone you care about. Stay away from pavilion angles that are either too shallow, and especially from those that are too deep!

Wink

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depth 60-62.3

Table 54-57

Pavilion 40.6 to 40.9

Crown 34-35

I’m going to say my personal preference is a depth no greater than 61.9

Then run the numbers through the HCA tool https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

Discard anything above 2

c3doyle

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone,

All of this help is so awesome! i shouldve come here sooner!

The wife to be is dead set on something 2.0 or above...i tried to tell her 1.9 would look nearly identical but she likes the sound of 2...lol

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You may want to explain the MM because surely she doesn’t want mm smaller than a 1.95 if it is a deep 2.01 that faces up small.

In other words, some 2.0 carats are smaller than others. Shop wisely.

c3doyle

Rough_Rock
You all seem like experts so what are your thoughts on this?

A J color stone with medium to strong fluor, will it face up white, will the super ideal cut make it more brilliant and white?

Will there be a discernable difference between a J set in platinum vs an h/i in the same setting?

I am looking at this one: https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamon...om&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=rarecarat

Scored 1.4 on HCA

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results