shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice Needed - Concerned about Recent Purchase

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A super ideal cut round stone will face up whiter than a non-ideal cut round. I think it makes a difference going from a J to an H and up, but not necessarily between a J and I (they both show tint). You will see less color from the top (and this will also depend on ambient lighting) and more tint from the side.

Bottom line, there will be a discernible difference between a J and a H in the same setting. for me, of all the characteristics, I would compromise on color (but no lower than J), as you cannot compromise on carat size based on your gf's However, I can't answer for your girlfriend. I have seen on this forum that some people are "color" sensitive and would rather have a more included, even less well cut diamond than one that shows any tint.
For the amount of money that you are spending I think platinum is a classic choice. The thing that will more likely draw attention to tint is using melee diamonds that are in higher color than the main diamond. As they are on the side versus right next to it, it might not be such an issue?

The only way to know for sure if she is color sensitive is for her to view diamonds in person (though they probably will not be ideal cut).
You can also look in this forum people discussing color in diamonds, and examples of different colored diamonds.
ps I am having a ring made with a j colored diamond, and I think the stone is GORGEOUS
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/j-color-stones-in-platinum.24731/

Last edited:

c3doyle

Rough_Rock
Hey @partgypsy

thanks for your insight! sooo she is color sensitive, if i were to opt for a little bit less of an ideal cut but try to get up into the H range, what do you think i should expand the parameters to?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would ask the people here to help you find a good stone. For me personally I would go down to just under a 2 carat and still get that ideal cut, because cut quality more than anything (other than visible inclusions) will affect the beauty and performance of the stone. The places I have gotten and kept stones have been Whiteflash ACA diamonds, HPD CBI diamonds, and also I.D. Jewelry (call them, ask for Yekutiel, say you are coming from Pricescope), and I would recommend any of them unreservedly. The first 2 have trade up policies ; ), last may be most budget friendly...

Last edited:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yea, if she wants 2 carats and that's important to her, I wouldn't veer away from that. Just bc a 1.95 faces up the same size as a 2 carat doesn't mean she'll be able to get over that mental hurtle of it *not* being 2 carats. I also don't think a super ideal is necessary for everyone out there especially when size is clearly the priority (it might not be to you, but it is to her).

If she's color sensitive, I most certainly wouldn't drop to J. I'm color sensitive. I see tint in I stones and it bothers me and I couldn't do that for an ering unless it were an antique cut. I most definitely wouldn't do a J (although I'd be perfectly fine with a J for earrings bc you only see them face up!) because to me, it's yellow.

I would advise contacting Yekutiel at IDJ. He knows what PSers are after and is great at maximizing budgets. Here are a couple of options that you could look into.
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
Yea, if she wants 2 carats and that's important to her, I wouldn't veer away from that. Just bc a 1.95 faces up the same size as a 2 carat doesn't mean she'll be able to get over that mental hurtle of it *not* being 2 carats. I also don't think a super ideal is necessary for everyone out there especially when size is clearly the priority (it might not be to you, but it is to her).

If she's color sensitive, I most certainly wouldn't drop to J. I'm color sensitive. I see tint in I stones and it bothers me and I couldn't do that for an ering unless it were an antique cut. I most definitely wouldn't do a J (although I'd be perfectly fine with a J for earrings bc you only see them face up!) because to me, it's yellow.

I would advise contacting Yekutiel at IDJ. He knows what PSers are after and is great at maximizing budgets. Here are a couple of options that you could look into.

The 2.01 H SI2 looks pretty good. I also recommend contacting ID Jewelry. Speak with Yekutiel and tell him you want Pricescope quality and see what he can do.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hey @ac117

What about this one? a tad over budget, but it looks like it would check all the boxes? the asset and hearts and arrow images look good too.

HCA is a tad high at 2.7 but not terrible?

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R218-040Z32126?utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc

Certainly not a terrible stone - the crown angle is a bit high for the pavilion angle and is why the stone is showing some leakage under the table but I wouldn't say it's egregious since it's lighter pink areas rather than just plain white which would be zero light return. The skinny arrows aren't my personal preference but there's nothing wrong with them.

Just so you know, the real difference between the 2.03 H (8.21x8.18) that I posted and this 2.18 H (8.29x8.26) is less than .1 mm - barely perceivable. The 60/60 type nature of the 2.03 allows for greater white light return and spread.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
6 weeks seems excessive to order a setting and set a stone. :shock: Why not do one stop shopping? This stone @ac117 found is beautiful, great color and seems to hit all the marks.

This setting is VERY similar to the one you posted earlier, it just does not have the donut under the gallery. Pros and cons to a donut but if you don't have one, it will allow a wedding band to sit flush.
https://www.b2cjewels.com/round/1/a...sket-setting-with-diamond-accents-in-platinum

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How odd, there looks to be a large crystal smack dab on the table of the stone but there is nothing plotted on the cert??? I wonder if the photo is actually of this stone? :confused:
Indeed, wondered that myself! Probably best for buyer to check with B2C, it came up on the PS search as an in house stone so they should have it to hand.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know you would like to be at 2+ carat because it "sounds" good, but the reality is you have a set budget and are sacrificing color and clarity to maintain size.

I know we all have our mental hang ups but honestly, buying a 1.85+ stone makes you a very savvy buyer. The actual size is somewhere between barely noticeable to not noticeable at all, with the naked eye. And you get to avoid paying a dollar premium to hit a "magic weight". Not to mention, many 2 carat stones are (poorly) cut to just hit weight so they can be sold as 2 carat rocks with disregard to beauty.

Also it's worth noting that most people can't detect a size difference until they hit a difference of 0.20mm, or greater. And even at 0.20mm, it's a very small difference and most people couldn't tell the difference unless they saw two stones side by side. It's not significant and someone wouldn't walk away stating "OMG, that 2 carat rock is sooo much bigger". Some fun facts:
  • 0.20mm = 0.0078 inches
  • 0.0078 inches = approx 1/128th of an inch
  • 0.10mm = 0.00394 inches (size difference between HPD/WF & ED options below)
  • 0.00394 inches = approx 1/256th of an inch

HPD Super Ideal AGS000, 1.87ct J SI1 $14,748 (7.94 x 7.96mm)
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD9893

WF ACA Super Ideal AGS000, 1.90ct J SI1 $13,794 (7.95 x 7.98mm)
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4018642.htm

ED GIA XXX, 2.00ct H SI1 $14,550 (8.05 x 8.10mm)
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R200-848Z52987?utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc

Not sure if you saw an actual size difference, but here is a screen capture showing the difference between a HPD 1.87ct stone and ED 2.00ct stone.

https://www.diamdb.com/compare/1.87ct-round-7.94x7.96x4.88-vs-2ct-round-8.10x8.05x5.01/

Capture.PNG

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neither of these proportion sets are what I would use or recommend. The most serious issue with both sets is the range of the pavilion angles. Since all of the numbers are averaged from eight individual measurements, we actually cannot know what the high and low numbers are in each averaged measurement unless we have an actual copy of the full measurement as taken by the machine used.

If, for example you have a measurement of 40.5 for the pavilion, and a deviation of 0.2 then you will have some of the pavilion angles as low as 40.3 and others as high as 40.7. At 40.4 you will observe darkness when looking at a diamond as the diamond is too obstructed. The closer you look, the darker those lower pavilion mains will become. At 40.3 the darkness in the pavilion will be even worse.

Conversely, at 42 degrees, you will have a leaky diamond, with too much of the diamond fleeing the scene before being returned to your eye. A diamond with this steep of a pavilion angle will NOT have edge to edge brilliance and will look smaller to the eye than it actually is.

cz-comparison-600.jpg

This is a photo of two stones, one cut very well, the other on the right is actually larger physically by measurement and weight. Notice how it looks much smaller than it actually is. Yet under the bright lights of a jewelry store, it can look very nice. The trick to seeing this is to place the diamond in the shadow of your hand to instantly see how it pales when not under bright lights.

I am pretty sure this is NOT what you want to present to anyone you care about. Stay away from pavilion angles that are either too shallow, and especially from those that are too deep!

Wink
Thanks Wink.
That photo is the absolute best and easiest way to understand why cut matters so much.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know you would like to be at 2+ carat because it "sounds" good, but the reality is you have a set budget and are sacrificing color and clarity to maintain size.

I know we all have our mental hang ups but honestly, buying a 1.85+ stone makes you a very savvy buyer. The actual size is somewhere between barely noticeable to not noticeable at all, with the naked eye. And you get to avoid paying a dollar premium to hit a "magic weight". Not to mention, many 2 carat stones are (poorly) cut to just hit weight so they can be sold as 2 carat rocks with disregard to beauty.

Also it's worth noting that most people can't detect a size difference until they hit a difference of 0.20mm, or greater. And even at 0.20mm, it's a very small difference and most people couldn't tell the difference unless they saw two stones side by side. It's not significant and someone wouldn't walk away stating "OMG, that 2 carat rock is sooo much bigger". Some fun facts:
  • 0.20mm = 0.0078 inches
  • 0.0078 inches = approx 1/128th of an inch
  • 0.10mm = 0.00394 inches (size difference between HPD/WF & ED options below)
  • 0.00394 inches = approx 1/256th of an inch

HPD Super Ideal AGS000, 1.87ct J SI1 $14,748 (7.94 x 7.96mm)
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD9893

WF ACA Super Ideal AGS000, 1.90ct J SI1 $13,794 (7.95 x 7.98mm)
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4018642.htm

ED GIA XXX, 2.00ct H SI1 $14,550 (8.05 x 8.10mm)
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R200-848Z52987?utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc

Not sure if you saw an actual size difference, but here is a screen capture showing the difference between a HPD 1.87ct stone and ED 2.00ct stone.

https://www.diamdb.com/compare/1.87ct-round-7.94x7.96x4.88-vs-2ct-round-8.10x8.05x5.01/

Capture.PNG

Oyyy sledge! First, no one ever said to disregard beauty entirely. But second, what's beauty if the intended isn't happy? Some people do care more about stated carat weight than face up size or value or cut, etc. etc. OP has stated several times that his gf wants a 2 carat - "her top 2 wishes are at or above 2 carats and not yellow" and "The wife to be is dead set on something 2.0 or above...i tried to tell her 1.9 would look nearly identical but she likes the sound of 2...lol". HE gets your point, but she won't. So that's why I think finding something that SHE wants is best in this case.

ETA: Furthermore, I'm pretty sure you've given people examples of cars so people could understand cut. Well let's say you REALLY wanted a '68 red Mustang and your partner came home with a '72 green Mustang (I know zero about cars but just get my drift) bc the engine was 'better' and the green color made it cheaper. Would you be happy? You got a Mustang, but it's not what you REALLY wanted.

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem might be hitting that 2 carat mark with no tint. Something might have to give: the budget, The no yellow or the has to be 2 carats...

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem might be hitting that 2 carat mark with no tint. Something might have to give: the budget, The no yellow or the has to be 2 carats...

But several were already found....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will say that I don't think you should go to J color. That leaves H SI1 or I VS2-SI1.

Avoid Enchanted Diamonds. I have recommended stones from them before, but none of the stones I recommended was even available. They just list stones from cutters or suppliers and do not keep their database updated. You could pay and then find out the stone is not available. I don't want you to waste anymore time.

This is a fairly nice one:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-5187367

Black inclusion in the B2C 2.22 I SI1 is a big no for me. The 2.0 H SI1 has some pretty significant feathers (cracks) as the primary inclusion which I would rule out also. I don't think you're going to get a good H SI1 without increasing your budget.

c3doyle

Rough_Rock
Alrighty everyone, all this assistance is so awesome!

Took her to “Kay” I know I know, terrible. But I showed her stones set in a setting from f to I. They were all complete shit cuts and like i1 stones. They were awful looking. But, the benefit was she thought the f color stone looked “yellow” and the I stone looked really nice. So I’m thinking I can easily get away with an awesome cut I or J. She only saw stones loose, face down and next to each other. Which anyone can see the difference. Putting it into a real perspective, things changed Aton.

The whole sales tactic of showing stones face down had her heart set on something d-g, but in a setting she thought the nicest stone looked the worst.

So now my goal is a brilliant I 2 carat+

=)

c3doyle

Rough_Rock
Wow, that Whiteflash stone is beautiful. It’s over 1k over budget but it’s very very tempting =(

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that Whiteflash stone is beautiful. It’s over 1k over budget but it’s very very tempting =(

how much is the jeweler charging you for the setting? My guess is that he or she is overcharging, so there might be room in your budget for this stone if you are willing to go elsewhere for the setting.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oyyy sledge! First, no one ever said to disregard beauty entirely. But second, what's beauty if the intended isn't happy? Some people do care more about stated carat weight than face up size or value or cut, etc. etc. OP has stated several times that his gf wants a 2 carat - "her top 2 wishes are at or above 2 carats and not yellow" and "The wife to be is dead set on something 2.0 or above...i tried to tell her 1.9 would look nearly identical but she likes the sound of 2...lol". HE gets your point, but she won't. So that's why I think finding something that SHE wants is best in this case.

ETA: Furthermore, I'm pretty sure you've given people examples of cars so people could understand cut. Well let's say you REALLY wanted a '68 red Mustang and your partner came home with a '72 green Mustang (I know zero about cars but just get my drift) bc the engine was 'better' and the green color made it cheaper. Would you be happy? You got a Mustang, but it's not what you REALLY wanted.

I understand and respect the point you are trying to make. I know you aren't a car girl which is cool, but I appreciate the efforts. The problem with the analogy is there are some many different variables of SIGNIFICANCE that change the perception & desirability of the car. Different years, different engines, different performance, different body styles, different colors, etc.

Although I'm not much of a Ford guy, you can see what I mean.

1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
maxresdefault.jpg

1972 Ford Mustang Fastback
pa0715-216427_1.jpg

So this would be comparable to asking for a 2 carat H SI1 TIC stone and being presented with a 1.25 carat K I2 60/60 stone. Very drastic and different.

What I was talking about is nothing that is even VISIBLE. It's a mind play.

Although the OP has responded back since his initial post, it is usually more likely the color and clarity impact/significance would outweigh a size difference that can't be detected with the human eye so when trying to maximize the zero sum game, it would make sense to drop carat size below a magic weight price premium to get your other C's up to an acceptable level.

However, it appears the OP is now happy with an I-J stone. Which makes no sense that a F is too yellow, but an I is great.

c3doyle

Rough_Rock
lol well guys....my Jeweler fired me haha. He said i was too particular and he couldn't provide what i needed up to my standards...

So now i'm free to find my own stone and setting. For those who asked the question about what he was charging, i think you folks were correct, he was over charging me. He said it was going to be around $3k for the setting i want in platinum. After looking around i think it should be more along the lines of $1800 to $2400.

Total budget for stone and setting is roughly $17,500 to $18,000 ideally.

So glad i found this site with so many helpful and kind people!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Contact David Class Jewelry in LA. DK can easily make that setting with top notch craftsmanship while being budget friendly.

Send pics and details when you request a quote. Also let them know you are a PSer and let them know your time constraints.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lol well guys....my Jeweler fired me haha. He said i was too particular and he couldn't provide what i needed up to my standards...

So now i'm free to find my own stone and setting. For those who asked the question about what he was charging, i think you folks were correct, he was over charging me. He said it was going to be around $3k for the setting i want in platinum. After looking around i think it should be more along the lines of $1800 to $2400.

Total budget for stone and setting is roughly $17,500 to $18,000 ideally.

So glad i found this site with so many helpful and kind people!

This is definitely a blessing in disguise! Now you are free to get something of better quality for a fair price!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results