shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice for vintage ring options

jazzyringstuff

Rough_Rock
Hi -- I am posting to get some advice on finding a good vintage ring! When we were first married, hubby and I were in grad school so did not get a significant ring. Now that we are approaching our tenth anniversary, he suggested a new ring (esp since the original was in white gold, and the rhodium keeps rubbing off and giving my skin a reaction! I need something in platinum now, I am thinking.)

I just ordered a ring from a store on etsy, and the setting was really beautiful and just what I wanted (per my original post here) but the clarity was described as SI1 but my local jeweler advised it was at best SI2 or even I1. And, the stone didn't look quite right, a bit incongruous, and folks on the other thread advised that is perhaps because the diamond was not original to the setting but may have been replaced later.

I am hoping for some help/guidance/any feedback you have as I am such a newbie.
* Our budget is $2-3k, although for the perfect ring if needed we could go a bit over 3 (need to stay under 4 under any circumstances.)
* I really like a delicate/simple setting, and am really drawn to baguette shoulders. I am posting a picture of the ring I am returning as the setting felt so perfect.
* The K color really didn't bother me, but I suppose it would be a perk if the color were clearer.
* And I don't *need* 1ct but .5ct has felt a smidge too small for my hand (I have long fingers and knobby knuckles which I think means diamonds look smaller on me than on others.)
* It must be platinum though because the gold has given me a reaction when the rhodium wears off (and I like the white metal look, not yellow gold.)

Stephanie suggested this ring and it feels like an excellent candidate! I am just wondering if there are other contenders and perhaps that would be a smidge larger even if slightly more tinted on the color scale.

Thank you so much for any help you can offer!

IMG_20191010_135422865(1).jpg
https://www.rubylane.com/item/462428-n7987/Art-Deco-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-900

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a pretty healthy budget for a ring, I think you will be able to find a good size diamond in the setting you are looking for.

The hubby is going to watch football at the neighbors so once the kids are in bed I'll do some browsing and see what I can find, love shopping especially with other people's money :cool2:

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry the ring wasn’t as described. I think what you are looking for is doable on your budget as long as you don’t need it immediately. I like the ring StephanieLynn found. I would suggest you post a WTB on the preloved forum in case anyone has what you are looking for and is thinking of selling (we frequently do that around here). I’ll do some window internet shopping this weekend and if I find anything I’ll post here. You may want to set up a contact page for yourself on LT so that people can email you when they find something. Sometimes lurkers see rings recommended in threads and swoop in and buy them before the OP knows about it.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And one more thing, have you tried a different jeweler to do the rhodium plating? Some places do a ”light” job that wears off quickly and other places seem to do a better quality job.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is one, the baguettes are vertical on this one which may not be to your taste but it does come with an EGL grading report and the center diamond is a smidge under 3/4 carat:

This one is at the very top of your price range but I would most definitely try to negotiate. Also if you need a 6 1/2 like your other ring you bought (can't remember if it would 6 1/2 or 6 3/4) then this may not work for you but if you love it worth asking about. You are paying a premium for the high clarity on the center diamond:

Here is another one I found, much simpler on the band and almost 3/4 on the center diamond, just double check the prongs on this one, it's hard to tell if they are all present and intact, this one also comes with a band for $2500 which is nice.

I also found a ring very similar to the ring you previously bought, with the band being the same style, I will go back and find that and post it in a little bit after stories!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And what is your ring size? Resizing plat can get expensive so we want to look for something close to your size.

jazzyringstuff

Rough_Rock
Hi, wow, thanks all! These are great. My ring size is 6.5-6.75. These are all great suggestions, I can't wait to look at them as well as to see anything else that comes up! :)

Thanks!!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the one that I found that looks close to the other one you bought that you really seem to like aesthetically. Right off the bat though the prongs are going to need work, see how they are hardly touching the main diamond? This could be a bargaining piece for you, also inquire about chips on any rings you ask for. Do note that in one of the pictures it does look quite tinted but I just wanted to throw this in. You never know, I have an M colored OEC and I hardly ever see a tint in real life, it just all depends on that particular stone.

jazzyringstuff

Rough_Rock
Thank you!! I also found this one -- sad that it doesn't have baguettes but considering it nonetheless as I kind of like the squared off look. Do you have any feedback on it?

Thanks for your thoughts if any!

jazzyringstuff

Rough_Rock
Also kgizo...you suggested setting up a contact page on LT...but I am embarrassed to say I don't know what LT is! Please help :)
Thanks!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks pretty! I did find something similar when I first looked but didn't post since it didn't have baguettes:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi -- I am posting to get some advice on finding a good vintage ring! When we were first married, hubby and I were in grad school so did not get a significant ring. Now that we are approaching our tenth anniversary, he suggested a new ring (esp since the original was in white gold, and the rhodium keeps rubbing off and giving my skin a reaction! I need something in platinum now, I am thinking.)

I just ordered a ring from a store on etsy, and the setting was really beautiful and just what I wanted (per my original post here) but the clarity was described as SI1 but my local jeweler advised it was at best SI2 or even I1. And, the stone didn't look quite right, a bit incongruous, and folks on the other thread advised that is perhaps because the diamond was not original to the setting but may have been replaced later.

I am hoping for some help/guidance/any feedback you have as I am such a newbie.
* Our budget is $2-3k, although for the perfect ring if needed we could go a bit over 3 (need to stay under 4 under any circumstances.)
* I really like a delicate/simple setting, and am really drawn to baguette shoulders. I am posting a picture of the ring I am returning as the setting felt so perfect.
* The K color really didn't bother me, but I suppose it would be a perk if the color were clearer.
* And I don't *need* 1ct but .5ct has felt a smidge too small for my hand (I have long fingers and knobby knuckles which I think means diamonds look smaller on me than on others.)
* It must be platinum though because the gold has given me a reaction when the rhodium wears off (and I like the white metal look, not yellow gold.)

Stephanie suggested this ring and it feels like an excellent candidate! I am just wondering if there are other contenders and perhaps that would be a smidge larger even if slightly more tinted on the color scale.

Thank you so much for any help you can offer!
IMG_20191010_135422865(1).jpg
https://www.rubylane.com/item/462428-n7987/Art-Deco-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-900
My engagement ring came from that seller - they were good to deal with! The 1.23ct from the same seller looks good too

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ivy & Rose have a number of really beautiful antique platinum and diamond rings in your price range. I added 2 that are over budget but excellent value for money.
The rings I’m posting a genuine antique, Ivy & Rose do also make new settings in the Art Deco / Art Nouveau style AND have a nice selection of loose diamonds, many are old cut. Worth a browse. A42ED9F1-0D97-4B7B-B372-4A9F19E68DC4.jpeg 19BDFDDB-0083-46CE-9FE4-9F000AF2A682.jpeg 57B93297-7993-4121-B11A-1C9C85658367.jpeg

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also how about this from Ivy and Rose Vintage https://etsy.me/2TnYhEK
Not baguette shoulders but a lovely setting
https://etsy.me/2MQ4EwT
Really not sure about this seller cos that is too low for that size and colour AND it’s a bit high (converting from NZD so I’m not sure if it’s over your budget sorry) but including anyway
https://etsy.me/2Zv0k0u

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LT is loupetroop.com. It’s a site where a few of us sell our pre-loved jewelry. You can create a listing with the heading “contact info for jazzyringstuff”. There is no messaging feature on PS so this is how we can find you and send you a PM.

I like this one from antiqueengagementrings.com. The diamond is a nice transitional, but if you prefer an OEC they have a pretty L VS2 in a 18K setting so you could ask if they could swap the diamond.

F8FE5C99-D802-4FAC-B3F6-18B0E888CC19.jpeg EC582C6D-2418-4482-817C-AEB103E4FD7C.jpeg

If you are open to single cuts instead of baguettes there is this ring at loveaffairdiamonds.com
991F6D98-B946-4B04-88F8-550663716F52.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That transitional kgizo posted is really pretty, transitionals have a very small window of time they were made and are getting harder to find.

jazzyringstuff

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much kgizo -- that makes so much sense. I created a listing on LT, it is here. https://loupetroop.com/listings/other/contact-info-for-jazzyringstuff

And to you and Stephanie and Bron and Foxsox, thank you all so much for these great options. I am blown away by your kindness & help!! I can't wait to look through all of these options later this afternoon/evening and share them with hubby. So exciting!!
:)

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There’s this one from Ivy and Rose - warmer centre than you wanted but a lot of ring for the price https://etsy.me/30DTGm9
Have fun choosing!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if you found a ring yet and this one might be too much but it's got the baguettes! I asked the price and was told $2900. You can find the video on Sin City Finds IG page

IMG_6614.jpg

jazzyringstuff

Rough_Rock
Oh my gosh! Stephanie, I didn't see that you posted this -- thank you for keeping an eye out and sorry for being oblivious.

I had just logged in to say that I bought a ring -- and it just arrived late this week. The second one recommended by Bron357 from Ivy & Rose. I am very inclined to keep it -- I like the size of the diamond, the simplicity of the baguettes, and the squared off setting. If i have any concerns, it's only that it is just a shade plainer of a setting than I had hoped, but on the whole it hits the main marks. Well, maybe one more concern -- the ring was described as SI2 but "eye clean" but I can definitely see the inclusion -- it looks like a long squiggly black pen mark. But, I didn't notice it off the bat so maybe it's fine? Appreciate any wisdom you can share, as I like everything else about the ring, the price was right, and it's just these two small concerns that I need to find peace about.

This was the link to the ring: https://ivyandrose.com/products/1-c...tinum-engagement-ring-antique-fishtail-prongs

And I am sharing a couple of pictures I took (but it was really, really hard to get a good picture!

I am going to need to have it resized of course, but kind of wanted to see if anyone has any cautionary advice! Thanks so much!!!

IMG_20191024_163406288_HDR.jpg IMG_20191024_163412038_HDR.jpg IMG_20191024_163602764_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg IMG_20191024_163551140_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds as if you like the ring but don’t love it. Look at it in all different types of lighting. Give yourself a few days to see if you love it (sometimes “flaws” become “cool characteristics”) or if the “flaws” become more noticeable. Maybe this is meant to be your ring, but if not there are other options out there so don’t feel like you are settling.

jazzyringstuff

Rough_Rock
Thanks kgizo! That's solid advice. I do have a few updates as I stopped by the jeweler this morning to drop it off for resizing. A few things emerged:

1. She thought it was at best an I1, not an SI2. She pointed out several inclusions which were pretty noticable, in addition to the big one I saw without the loupe. Definitely not "invisible to the naked eye" as described....

2. She asked if it had been clarity enhanced -- which the assessment the seller provided said no -- but she saw a thin white line in the middle which read to her as clarity enhancement but she didn't know what to make of it given that the listing denied.

3. She thought the setting was new, the diamond was old and reset in a new platinum setting. There was no visible wear (which I thought was strange when I received it but didn't know what to make of it).

I am feeling fairly discouraged, I like the look of the ring but now with the second time an online ring has been not as described I am wondering if it requires real luck to find something accurate & right. Oof!

Last edited:

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, that’s a bummer. Contact Adam at Old World Diamonds and send him your inspiration pic and budget and see if he has anything that might work for you.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vendors describe “eye clean” differently as there is no real industry standard. I’ve seen some say 10” or 12” and some say normal viewing distance (which I guess is arms length?). So I wouldn’t get too discouraged. You’ve learned through this process and next time you search you may want to confirm with the vendor it’s eye clean at close up viewing, that may help get you and the vendor on the same page. Or look for VS2 which are more likely to be eye clean than SIs.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
That transitional kgizo posted is really pretty, transitionals have a very small window of time they were made and are getting harder to find.
I have a transitional and it is a lovely chameleon, huge face up but not out of proportion, shows up white (it is L M N,) and the cutlet is open

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks kgizo! That's solid advice. I do have a few updates as I stopped by the jeweler this morning to drop it off for resizing. A few things emerged:

1. She thought it was at best an I1, not an SI2. She pointed out several inclusions which were pretty noticable, in addition to the big one I saw without the loupe. Definitely not "invisible to the naked eye" as described....

2. She asked if it had been clarity enhanced -- which the assessment the seller provided said no -- but she saw a thin white line in the middle which read to her as clarity enhancement but she didn't know what to make of it given that the listing denied.

3. She thought the setting was new, the diamond was old and reset in a new platinum setting. There was no visible wear (which I thought was strange when I received it but didn't know what to make of it).

I am feeling fairly discouraged, I like the look of the ring but now with the second time an online ring has been not as described I am wondering if it requires real luck to find something accurate & right. Oof!
oh dear how disappointing and it looked so lovelly on your finger in the pictures
but don't dispair
enjoy the chase
and you'll find the one thats ment for you

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry about your latest purchase not being exactly what you wanted. As for the inclusion I think once you see it then it's really hard to unsee it and there are so many rings out there that your perfect ring is waiting to be discovered. Don't lose hope!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the third Ivy and Rose ring that you posted, even though it is a larger budget. an extra 1.5K really makes a difference!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results