shape
carat
color
clarity

Ordered online -- need advice -- inspection?

jazzyringstuff

Rough_Rock
Hi all, thanks in advance for any help you can offer! When we were first married, hubby and I were in grad school so did not get a significant ring. Now that we are approaching our tenth anniversary, he suggested a new ring (esp since the original was in white gold, and the rhodium keeps rubbing off and giving my skin a reaction! I need something in platinum now, I am thinking.)

I was interested in a vintage/estate ring, and we went to several stores and found a few really pretty options. I was particularly interested in rings that had a center stone with baguette highlights. I ended up purchasing a ring online -- .95 ct, K color, SI1. In platinum. It was listed for $2995, I made an offer of $2715, and it was happily accepted! It's here -- https://www.etsy.com/listing/664892...-engagement-ring?show_sold_out_detail=1&frs=1 and I am really excited to see it! Does the price seem reasonable? I am thinking it was a decent deal and am happy with it, but just want to be sure!

However, I also want to be smart about this as this is the first time we've spent so much money on a ring and it is older. The ring is not certified, so should I plan on having a local jeweler look at it within the return period in case anything was not as described? Does it need to be inspected for structural integrity, i.e. to make sure nothing falls out in normal/light wear? What steps would you advise given I am a newbie who ordered a vintage ring online? I am waiting for it to arrive but given the short return period (7 days) I want to make sure I am ready with a plan.

Thank you so much for any advice you can offer! Really appreciate it!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lot of times with these settings you will see prongs that need attention but the prongs on the center diamond look to be in good shape, hard to tell with the smaller stones.

I would definitely have an appraiser look at this ring because of the center diamond, it looks to have a lot going on internally and without having any paperwork from GIA to backup the color and clarity you would want a professional opinion on that. K is a little far down on the color scale so if you are color sensitive you will see a tint to the stone.

The setting is very pretty, the diamond was obviously added much later, I just really question the performance on that diamond and whether or not it is eye clean.

Diamondless

Rough_Rock
In my opinion, the diamond is much newer than the setting. I'm apprehensive of that actually being an SI1. Also, is there a chip on the girdle located near the top left prong in the 1st photo?
It looks like there has already been some work done to the setting, I don know if the head of this ring is original to the band?
Personally, if you were interested in a vintage ring, you might want to consider one with a period original stone in it. I know it should be fairly easy to find a 1940's/Deco style band with baguettes :)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Granted the diamond is smaller here but this is an example if you end up returning this one of what's out there and it has GIA paperwork with it which is a plus.

Diamondless

Rough_Rock
Here are a couple more, should you want to keep looking.

jazzyringstuff

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for sharing -- and wow, you both must have really great eyes to be able to tell so much from the pics. I will definitely bring it in to be appraised. It never occurred to me the center stone would have been replaced. Glad I posted!!

Thanks for the links to alternative options too. I'm going to see how things shake out with the one being mailed -- but it's so good to have a fallback option.

I will update you once I know more! :)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really hope that you get good news from the appraiser because at that carat weight it is a good deal but only if you like the look of it you know? I hope you didn't take my post as saying your ring is not good and buy that one, just wanted to throw it out there in case you change your mind because it is a little more difficult to find a platinum setting with baguettes and a good size center stone at that price point.

In any event I do hope that you will take some pictures and come back and post so we can see!

jazzyringstuff

Rough_Rock
Of course not! :) I really appreciated your post & found it super helpful & informative. And the alternative ring is really beautiful as well. I will definitely post some pictures once the original arrives. :)

Thanks again!

jazzyringstuff

Rough_Rock
Hi -- back with a quick update. I received the ring first thing this morning, and was able to hop out to a jewelry store for a quick review. Decided not to do a full appraisal at this point but the shop was happy to informally look at it and give me an assessment. The appraiser thought the size and color were reasonable, but that the clarity was at best SI2, or possible I1.

The ring is really pretty, but I am not sure what to do -- maybe keep it, but I am frustrated that the store I purchased from described it as SI1 which seems not to be true. I don't mind the slight tint of the K, but I am worried the diamond doesn't match the setting? I know it's a personal decision that I have to make ... but if you have any advice or feedback, this true newbie would appreciate it! :)

Attaching some pics (but boy is it tough to get a clear pic or video of a sparkler! ;)) )

Thanks so much,
Margo

IMG_20191010_135400988.jpg IMG_20191010_135405520.jpg IMG_20191010_131738764.jpg IMG_20191010_083522.jpg IMG_20191010_135422865.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post a side view? Like this IMG_6594.JPG

The band in one of the pictures looks off on one side, maybe it's the camera angle, almost like it isnt straight or something.

Here is the thing though if you choose to keep it I would definitely ask for a price adjustment to reflect the lower clarity grade, because at the negotiated price you paid it was based on an SI1 and at a possible I1 that is a big difference price-wise.

Did the person who looked at this indicate what inclusions were causing the clarity grade?

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
@jazzyringstuff

I think the most important thing is to get an appreciation of the ring and what you like and don’t like.

this post is turning out to be a long one, and I apologise. I am also hoping that it isn’t too confusing.

these are the things I do note and I will echo what others have mentioned:
1) the clarity is not what it seems and is lower than what was advertised. Therefore, a price adjustment is necessary if you were to keep this ring
2) the size of the diamond should come with a report of some description- report from GIA or similar.
3) diamond isn’t/ doesn’t seem to match the period of the ring. To me, that is important, for a period piece. The stone looks like it could be transitional cut (tranny) to modern round brilliant (MRB). There are differences in the age of diamond and the cut of diamond. In a period piece like this, I would expect to see an old European cut (OEC). the OECs have a distinctive flowery facet pattern that I like. As such, I would prefer to have a better clarity stone to see the those facets. sorry if I am confusing you. The diamond that you have in this ring leans more to an MRB cut.
4) it could be possible that the original stone was removed and this (newer cut) stone placed in.

for me, and it is only my taste- based on the above- I would choose one of the other rings posted from other posters.

however, if you really like the ring and the price is adjusted to reflect the clarity difference- enjoy the ring.

Last edited:

jazzyringstuff

Rough_Rock
Sure! Here are two pics. I do think you are right that it is not straight -- I keep trying to figure it out too.

The person indicated that one of the prongs digs into the stone and that it looks like a chip but she actually thinks it is natural.

Thanks for the advice. I guess now I have to figure out whether to return & start over or just ask for an adjustment! :/

IMG_20191010_144942414.jpg IMG_20191010_144911155.jpg

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I posted at the same time you did with the side profile pictures. Please read the post before your profile picture post. :)

If you decide to return the ring, pls check you are inside your return period- some offer 3 days, some longer.

if you return this ring and get your funds...
my advice is to then start a new thread on helping you find a new period ring for you. state your budget and posters will help you find one.

good luck!!
most importantly, have fun!!
It is all a learning process. It may seem daunting... but use it as that learning and then you will appreciate your period ring even more!

Last edited:

jazzyringstuff

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much!! Greg & Stephanie, all of your posts are so so helpful. And I think you are right that the diamond feels incongruous in the setting -- I couldn't quite tell until it arrived (and I hardly have the vocabulary even to say what my eyes think they are noticing) but what you are saying rings true with what I think I'm seeing.

I am leaning towards returning the ring -- both because the clarity was not as described and because of the mismatch between the setting & the diamond. I have 7 days to return the ring and as it just arrived today, I think I should be well set.

Thanks again so much!! I will also take your advice and post a new thread. Really appreciate it!! :)

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results