shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice for finding, evaluating, and pricing "salt and pepper" diamonds?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the bottom one rockysal....looks like a comet few across the center of it!

wex

Rough_Rock
Thanks again everyone. After a lot of discussion and looking she's pretty sure she wants to go with a heavily included "rustic galaxy" type stone - something like the middle two stones in this image posted by rockysalamander. Lots of dark inclusions with just a touch of transparency in spots.

My only concern is that I'm not sure how to evaluate these stones.

Are GIA reports done for these types of stones, or are they considered too "low quality" for it to be applicable? How do I ensure I am getting what I pay for?

Thanks as always!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't think GIA evaluates stones like these. These stones should not cost much. If you are paying more than $1000 for one that isn't over 3ct, you are probably overpaying. It should cost hundreds, not thousands, and don't count on resale value if her tastes change.

Last edited:

NZgirl

Rough_Rock
Premium
13656379-B6DD-4100-A5BB-E21D90CCD7F6.png 3FC3EEE5-1702-4490-90F8-1B6FBE03B0C7.png
I am not to sure on value but look at a designer called Alexis Russell she has really nice stuff I thought about getting one but went for a classic like what you are looking for and does custom. She does wedding rings to match.
https://www.alexisrussell.com/

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just love (seriously) how clever people can market and present gems that others might consider complete rubbish into attractive and distinctive jewellery.
But as others have said, there is unlikely to be a GIA report with such diamonds and resale might be tricky if fashion/ taste changes.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These to me are industrial grade diamonds. My Father was an engineer and he used diamonds like this on his machines for cutting.

I don't think GIA would evaluate these either as they really aren't gem quality and I believe the lowest clarity grade is I3 and these types of stones would score way below this. However, someone's found a market for them and like your wife Wex, enjoy the look of them.

How not to overpay? That's a thorny issue as it's unlikely these stones are worth much at all sad. :((

Maybe see if an appraiser will take a look to advise you on price but the stone could well be worth even less than the appraisal fees.

I have seen the odd pretty one set in a ring, I remember a pinky brown included pear that was actually very attractive in a rose gold setting, but for my taste these are rare.

I think all you can do if she's POSITIVE that's what she wants is buy one for her but tell her you won't be spending money you can't afford to lose as these are really industrial grade diamonds and worth very little. Pay accordingly.

Last edited:

Suzie2872

Rough_Rock
I have just bought a ring handmade and designed for me by mossnstone on Etsy. Alycia was super helpful and patient with the many questions I had. I have attached a picture. She has quite a few stoned to choose from in different colours, transparency etc. You can then choose which type of gold you want. You can add accent diamonds too. She will price everything up for you then once you give her the go ahead she will make your ring. The whole process takes 2-3 weeks. Don’t forget if you are having the ring shipped to you you may incur customs/vat charges.
upload_2018-4-14_14-58-14.png
Hi all,

This looks like a great forum. I'm new here and eager to learn.

My wife prefers the look of a pear-cut "salt and pepper" diamond as opposed to a flawless white one. We've spoken to a few jewelry designers in person who have a small selection of them available, but I'm a little uncomfortable going that route since I don't really know how to evaluate if what they're asking is a reasonable price or not. How do you compare/contrast them when each one if so different in terms of the clarity? Do GIA (or other) reports still apply?

It'd also be nice to see a larger selection. I'm considering procuring my own but am having trouble finding anything - it looks like most of the big online stores focus on the white diamonds with minimal inclusions. Are there marketplaces for these salt and pepper diamonds?

Finally I've seen there are some concerns regarding inclusions being weak points in the higher grade diamonds. Is that a real concern? Do these salt and pepper diamonds tend to shatter?

Any advice you guys could have would be really helpful. Thanks!!

Suzie2872

Rough_Rock
I have just bought a ring handmade and designed for me by mossnstone on Etsy. Alycia was super helpful and patient with the many questions I had. I have attached a picture. She has quite a few stoned to choose from in different colours, transparency etc. You can then choose which type of gold you want. You can add accent diamonds too. She will price everything up for you then once you give her the go ahead she will make your ring. The whole process takes 2-3 weeks. Don’t forget if you are having the ring shipped to you you may incur customs/vat charges.

upload_2018-4-14_15-2-34.png

rachaelmichele

Rough_Rock
Digby and Iona in Brooklyn has the most beautiful salt and pepper diamonds of anywhere we looked. I have a 9.75 rose cut and it’s heavily set and secure. Aaron definitely does pear shapes in many variations of colors.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the price is really going to vary, and you are going to be paying more for the setting/artistry of the entire piece, than diamond prices per se. You don't need a cert for these stones and you don't need to worry about cut quality since it is a rustic look and they are not cut for brillance. I think if you like the stones you saw at that site
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CalebBQuashen?section_id=19941244
contact them and see what the prices are. Remember, a nice setting can cost $800 and up, so you will still need to spend a bit of money. As this is a relatively new trend, I don't think you will be able to save the most money by buying pre-owned.

here's another on etsy
https://www.etsy.com/listing/614364...082c0973f902140cc6427fdbab04cdb830b:614364169

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results