shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice for a diamond

basti001

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

I'm looking for advice to find a diamond to make a solitaire ring in order to propose to my girlfriend.

I am searching for a round diamond between 0.5 and 0.55 ct. with very white colour, excellent cut/symmetry/polish and not with many inclusions (or inclusions that don't have an impact on the sparkle, for example a pinpoint inclusion). I would like to have a diamond that sparkles very nice (it should have rainbow sparkles).

The limit is +- 2500 $. Since I am from Germany, it should be an online shop that delivers to Germany.

I have already bought a diamond from zoara.com, but the diamond doesn't sparkle that much. I think it was a mistake to buy it without having seen it before buying. So I will have to return it. It was a 0.5 ct, VVS2, GIA certificate, 3x excellent and E color and had a pinpoint, table 57%, crown ancle 34.5° and pavillion 40.8°, depth 61.8 % and culet none.

Could you please help me to find a nice sparkling diamond of good quality? :) Especially I need help with the proportions of such a diamond.

Thanks in advance!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, whether a well cut diamond sparkles or not has a lot to do with the lighting source. The diamond you already bought has optimal measurements and proportions. It is VVS2, so it has no inclusions interfering with light return (the pinpont is not an issue). So just about any diamond we recommend isn't going to sparkle much more than the one you already bought. Do you have access to halogen light bulbs? If so, but one and you'll see your diamond sparkle!

I highly recommend Whiteflash as they have top quality diamonds, but I think you will be unhappy with all diamonds if you think the current one does not sparkle. You need the right lighting and possibly you have expectations of rainbow sparkles that are not realistic.

basti001

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your replies!
The diamond I bought from zoara is quite nice, but in normal light it doesn't sparkle at all. It's just white. With warm white led bulbs it sparkles. Is that normal?
At first I thought that I bought a fake diamond and went to a jeweller to check it. He used an electronic tester and told me that it was a real diamond but that it had a fish eye since the proportions were just "good". But I think he was wrong, too since a fish eye cannot exist with such proportions. The jeweller also showed me other diamonds that were of worse quality, but sparkled much more than our diamond.
Finally, I don't know whether I have bought a diamond of very good quality where it's normal that it sparkles less than diamonds of worse quality or whether the diamond is not the diamond described in the certificate.

Moreover, I am a bit confused since the diamond was directly sent from Hongkong although Zoara wrote on their homepage that everything will be shipped from the US. Another point is that I cannot see the laser inscriptions with a 20x magnifier.

What should I do? :confused:

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
First of all don't worry, it's very difficult to read the inscription even at x20 magnification. It will most likely be there.

The jeweller is purposely lying to you, avoid them and run away. Go to another jeweller who can help you locate the inscription.

Did the other diamonds sparkle more side by side? There are several possibilities for this.
1) The main reason is his diamonds are probably cleaner than yours as you've had it and touched it since you owned it. A good clean with a soft tooth brush and washing up liquid with hot water and a soft cloth will have it as sparkly as possible.
2) Are his diamonds are significantly bigger with bigger facets giving that illusion?
3) Some cuts, such as deep cut diamonds when flooded with an abundance of light will sparkle like crazy with halogen lights. However outside the unrealistic lighting conditions of the jewellery store, they will look significantly duller compared to your diamond. Don't be lured to getting a diamond that only sparkles in very precise lighting conditions, and dull for the rest of the time.

Mostly I think it's number 1. I read once that a finger print on the table is enough to take the diamond polish from excellent to fair (obviously this is reversible after a wipe).

If you are limiting yourself to a 0.5carat because you want a high colour and inclusions you may be surprised that an F or even G with an VS2/Si1 will appear exactly the same to the naked eye but significantly cheaper/leave some budget for a larger size. The G may have slightly more tint when compared side by side. The only way to know for sure is to go to jewellery stores and compare in person before committing online.

I think you have done well with this diamond.

These wold be other examples if you changed your parameters a little:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.62-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1994776

or a higher clarity and colour (smaller table may give it more sparkle, video is a little tilted).
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.63-carat-d-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1942821

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
Is the diamond clean? Silly question, but worth checking!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results