shape
carat
color
clarity

Acinom's sapphire??

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
It is very beautiful in many ways!

The 2.05ct is a bit darker in tone than the 1ct; it looks closer to Lotus Lab's "velvet" classification than cornflower blue. Do you think you'd prefer a highly saturated but lighter tone?

Reactions: AV_

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Btw more pictures of the 1ct:

Shaded outdoor lighting:
1583566164956.png

Still waiting on indoor natural lighting

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to chime in and say @Acinom wow, what a color!!! So vivid!

Do you mind me asking what sort of a ballpark range would a ring like that cost ? Astronomical? Its beauty is certainly out of this world!

Sure! Sorry I missed your question earlier. I paid 16.000 euro voor the stone and platinum setting.

For me it would have been difficult to buy online: it’s so difficult to recognize a good blue based on a picture when you do not have a trained eye. But with the help of some PSers it’s doable I think.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don’t forget to enquire about the dimensions. They always look bigger in photos ha ha.
Carat weight can be misleading if they have a “plump underneath”, that’s carat weight you won’t be able to see and appreciate.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Thank you lilith for providing these stones! It's part of my education too :)

The 2 carat is a beautiful color but looks dark to me in both lighting conditions. I might bezel or semi bezel and wonder if that would darken it further??

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you lilith for providing these stones! It's part of my education too :)

The 2 carat is a beautiful color but looks dark to me in both lighting conditions. I might bezel or semi bezel and wonder if that would darken it further??

Hmm, in that case, would the ~1ct be closer in tone to what you're looking for? Or would you want to go a teensy bit lighter?

Reactions: AV_

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, in that case, would the ~1ct be closer in tone to what you're looking for? Or would you want to go a teensy bit lighter?

I'm embarassed to say I'm not sure. I love love love Acinoms in all lighting conditions but don't know enough about what I'm looking at to say which one is closest (or if either is all that alike?). That's where I need others help (please). The larger has some beautiful features: color and saturation, but to my uneducated eye, looks dark in areas of the stone. The smaller seems (?) silky and glowy, and is lighter - still not sure I've got a good impression of that stone, but then I've never bought a colored stone online before!. Both are beautiful in different ways. I'm concerned my uneducated eye is missing a lot.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
If they really as that blue, I would not be put off by the darkness - there is hardly any sapphire that would be as happy in strong and in low light.

I am assuming these are not treated & there is proof.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does it seem a little dark? Should I see different light conditions you think?

Yes, it is too dark and will "black out" when set (in some ligjts). I wouldn't move ahead with this one

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 1ct is closest to what you want IMHO. remember that stones darken a bit in settings.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Yes, it is too dark and will "black out" when set (in some ligjts). I wouldn't move ahead with this one

Ok, good. That's what I am seeing. I'll await some more pics (and dimensions) on the smaller.

Lilith, you are really a big help here.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, good. That's what I am seeing. I'll await some more pics (and dimensions) on the smaller.

Lilith, you are really a big help here.

Of course, happy to help out!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never bought from him myself but Joe Escobar always seems to have a good selection of blue sapphires: https://www.escobardiamonds.com/colored-stones/sapphire/royal-blue-sapphire-engagement-ring.html

I must say it puts me off when these high end jewelers dont even care to mention treatment on their main value, the mirco diamonds they describe indepth but no word on the 90% of cost gem. Is that ignorance? Cant be or they avoid the topic for good reasons (their reasons)?

Aren’t his prices expensive? Or maybe my poor luck?

The service is excellent, though.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really want a Madagascar one...

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@Acinom Thank you for taking the time to share that additional info! Your sapphire is my all time favorite on this forum, what a treasure!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
IMG_20200308_121524.jpg

Indoor natural lighting

Calling all blue sapphire experts!
I'm hesitant based on that photo...what do you think Lilith?? Is the tilt of the stone and other factors causing the dark end, or is that natural for a stone tilted??

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Calling all blue sapphire experts!
I'm hesitant based on that photo...what do you think Lilith?? Is the tilt of the stone and other factors causing the dark end, or is that natural for a stone tilted??

It is quite common for sapphires to have darker and lighter zones; I'd only be concerned if sections went completely black. The top of my sapphire is darker than the bottom half, but it still glows beautifully when the light hits it.

As an example, here's mine in indoor lighting:

1583644368821.png

But then when natural sunlight hits, the silk helps the sapphire take on a more even glow:
1583644419729.png

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Ahhh, I see. Good to know! Gosh your stone is silky loveliness in that second photo :)
Did they happen to provide dimensions?

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Ahhh, I see. Good to know! Gosh your stone is silky loveliness in that second photo :)
Did they happen to provide dimensions?

Thank you! Dimensions are 6.7 x 5 x 3.6 mm.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I'm good with those dimensions. I'd sure love to get others opinions on this stone! It seems very pretty and is certainly within my budget. My two wish cuts are cushion or round :)) What color do you think that stone is Lilith? I think your ring looks breathtaking on your hand btw. Nice job girl!

@Bron357, I'd love to see what stones you are considering selling as a comparison???

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
I'm good with those dimensions. I'd sure love to get others opinions on this stone! It seems very pretty and is certainly within my budget. My two wish cuts are cushion or round :)) What color do you think that stone is Lilith? I think your ring looks breathtaking on your hand btw. Nice job girl!

@Bron357, I'd love to see what stones you are considering selling as a comparison???

Thank you! Regarding the stone, I'd consider it a decently saturated cornflower blue based on the photos. That being said, saturation is very difficult for a camera to correctly capture (mine always de-saturates), so I think it's important to see it in real life first!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I’ll post over in PS PreLoved Jewels as this is the forum to discuss items being sold by members.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for all your efforts Lilith! The effort put into sourcing a small stone on a limited budget has always overwhelmed me, and your efforts to help me were so kind.

I'm realizing that I like premium colors on a shoestring budget. Not easy to do. Additionally for a stone that small, I'm attracted to a squarish cushion (not common that small?), or a round.

Going online is tough cuz you can't get a good bead on color/performance and I'm not sure I'm up to the challenge of buying/returning.

I'm still without a stone, and not sure if my dream stone and I will ever get together, but I sure appreciate your help girl :geek2:

voce

Ideal_Rock
@Begonia where are you based? What's your ideal size and budget?

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
@Begonia where are you based? What's your ideal size and budget?

Hey Voce :)

I've upped my budget to 3k Canadian, cuz I'm Canadian :)

I reckon the setting can wait.
Gonna sell a few things on the troupe so might not have to wait too long for a setting.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Hey Voce :)

I've upped my budget to 3k Canadian, cuz I'm Canadian :)

I reckon the setting can wait.
Gonna sell a few things on the troupe so might not have to wait too long for a setting.

I hope you're based in Toronto? If so, you can visit Skyjems in person on Queen St. They have a large inventory, even though they're not all top-notch and have quite a few windowed gems. However, I would consider their prices reasonable.

1583790366930.png

This sapphire is not as impressive as Acinom's, but it's a 1.03 ct unheated Burmese, and I got the sapphire from Skyjems in 2018 for less than $1kUSD including shipping and the GIA Origin Report. It's one of the best deals I've ever gotten. It looks different in the photos because one was taken in sunny California, and the other one was taken in New York City in fall/winter. When it was listed on Skyjems, it looked closer in saturation to my picture than to the vendor picture for the completed ring. I think Skyjems does have accurate photos.

If you've upped the budget to $3k Canadian, these are my picks from Skyjems' current inventory, in my personal order of preference. If you would reject stones based on inclusions, just look at the first one and not the other two.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Other side of Canada, the West coast. Ok, I'll take a close look at all of them. Between my inexperienced eye, and picky mind not seeing one of those that I would consider.

Your stone is lovely and you have every reason to be pleased IMO.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like skygems. I didnt end up buying from him, but he was super nice when I asked about a stone last year and honest/helpful when I explained what I wanted

voce

Ideal_Rock
Other side of Canada, the West coast. Ok, I'll take a close look at all of them. Between my inexperienced eye, and picky mind not seeing one of those that I would consider.

Your stone is lovely and you have every reason to be pleased IMO.

Thank you, Begonia. If you're on the west coast of Canada, maybe contact OTL through Etsy? She was previously a PS member and now in the trade, and has some top-of-the-line stuff. No blue sapphires of the type you're looking for listed in her Etsy store now, but maybe she can source you something.

Don't know if your budget is high enough if you're super-picky. Unless you're in Asia, dealing with the IG vendors that @Lilith112 has found, on the US/Canada side I suspect you're going to have to pay $6k/ct at least for an Acinom-quality sapphire.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results