shape
carat
color
clarity

A Thread For Houses!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
April20 - I love what you did with your mantle. What a great color! And, I totally love your bathroom -- the black/white hex floor and subway tiles make my heart go pitter-patter. Perfect for a 1940's home. Is it a cape?

DandiAndi - Your house is gorgeous!! When was it built? I really like the picture frame hw floor in the entryway. My 1930's Colonial has the same floor design, and it is such a nice detail. Your kitchen is TDF! I have never seen a long window like that instead of wall/backsplash. Love it! So much nice bright natural light too. And, what perfect blue skys in your photos!!

LTP - Your home is very lovely!! PS-ers have such great taste! I love all of your big windows too! I must ask you where you found the light fixture in the guest bedroom. I want one!
5.gif

I'll have to post some photos in a separate thread asking for design advice. I am design-challeged, or at least very design-hesitant!!

April20

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2009 12:14:48 PM
Author: Loves Vintage
April20 - I love what you did with your mantle. What a great color! And, I totally love your bathroom -- the black/white hex floor and subway tiles make my heart go pitter-patter. Perfect for a 1940''s home. Is it a cape?
LV, it is not a cape. I''m not sure what it is actually. It''s been added onto a few times. Let me see if I can go get a decent pic. We just put window boxes up a few weeks ago!

I will not show anyone our sorry excuse for a yard/landscaping. Especially after seeing Lauren''s beautiful yard. Mine will die of shame and embarassment if I show it to anyone.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I went outside and took a picture. It''s a beautiful, sunny day here, so perfect for that!

When we bought the house it was a rather boring shade of cream or light tan. I didn''t want that and I didn''t want to look like the other houses around me, five of which are differing shades of green. I''d picked up this particular paint swatch as a potential for my kitchen and never considered it for the exterior until a couple of my friends put the idea in my head. That was that and I LOVE this color. I will admit that the first time I pulled up after they started painted I freaked out a little bit. It looked better once all the trim was done. Not so bright.

DSC05641.JPG

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
April20 - Wow, it's really very cute! I like the color a lot. It really works. The window boxes are very charming! You get lots of light too. I like that window too!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lauren I know I''ve told you this before but your house is a masterpiece! I love your decorating style...*sigh* I may have a bit of a house crush on you...

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
great thread--it be fun if people mentioned where they live too (which state) so we can see how styles of houses change across the country (or don''t).

Lauren: I echo everyone on your taste! May I ask what shade paint you used in your living room? I love the 2 chairs with the round table in the middle--I might have to copy that for the empty space we have in our LR!

lili

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2009 11:44:50 PM
Author: DandiAndi
Living room 1:
We''ve been married for 19 months and still haven''t hung that picture of us up!!
9.gif
9.gif

haha, don''t feel bad.
mine is still in the closet and it''s been 5 yrs (oops 6)

lili

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2009 11:40:15 AM
Author: LaurenThePartier
One last pic! Hope I didn''t overwhelm you with pics.
1.gif

Ooo....love the slate concrete backyard.

April20

Ideal_Rock
We live in Atlanta.
1.gif

Giada

Shiny_Rock
I love seeing everyone''s homes! Everyone has such excellent taste.

Giada

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/23/2009 7:18:06 PM
Author: April20

Date: 6/23/2009 3:37:07 PM
Author: Giada
We''ve made quite a few changes in the past few months since these photos were taken (we closed and moved in the week before Thanksgiving), but you can get the general idea of the layout.

Square Feet: 2740
4 Bedrooms
2.5 bath
Giada, I LOVE your house- it''s beautiful!
Thank you, April. I really love your house as well. I think it''s so nice when care is taken to preserve the feel of the era of when the home was built, which is exactly what you''ve done in your bathroom. Well done!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
MC - thank you!

Giada - your house is stunning!

Andi - Love the character in your house! I could see myself living in it and I love so many of your choices!

LovesVintage - Thank you! I bought that baby chandelier from Gallery 802. I think. Let me check on that and get back to you.
3.gif
Here''s a link in the meantime. http://www.gallery802.com/

April20 - I am just blushing here, thank you!
1.gif
We''ve gone almost 3 years with our bad grass and ugly patio, but the work and expense was worth it. I absolutely LOVE your mantle - and the accent chair is perfect! And I LOVE the colour for the house! Lovely!!!!

Hudson_Hawk - thank you, hun!
9.gif

Janinegirly - the colour is called Crisp Khaki, I think it''s by Benjamin Moore. Thank you for your kind words!

Lili - thank you! It''s 4k lbs. of Oklahoma Flagstone. I like how they used the crushed granite for filling, because TX has such soil issues, it''ll be nice to not have to re-mortar everytime something cracks.
1.gif

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
WOWzers! all of you ladies have GORGEOUS homes! i hope the BF and i will be as lucky to move out of our condo and own a beautiful home as you all do. i guess good taste in jewelry really does reflect good taste in decor...or is it the other way around?
2.gif

Date: 6/24/2009 12:14:48 PM
Author: Loves Vintage
I''ll have to post some photos in a separate thread asking for design advice. I am design-challeged, or at least very design-hesitant!!
i feel you on this one!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
More pictures, everyone. Your houses are gorgeous!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/24/2009 11:25:42 AM
OK, I am overexcited since we just finished our backyard, so I have a few pics to share.

The house''s MySpace angle. It''s a long skinny house with a rear entry garage. We''re in zero lot line homes and I love how low maintenance the yard is!

It''s ~2,225 sq. ft, 2 story, 3 bedroom, 2.5 bathrooms, with an office, loft, and 2.5 car garage.
LTP
beautiful home,but what the heck is a 2.5 garage? the 1/2 garage is for golf cart?
33.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fun thread! Your houses are amazing!

I went on the assessors website to find pictures of what our house looked like when we bought it. We weren''t smart enough to take before pictures. There weren''t any of the backyard, but I''ll post some of what it looks like now anyway-it looked pretty much like the front..plain and blah and I hated it.

getbin.php.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
k-took me forever to resize..if this is super weensy I''m gonna be ticked.

100_056411.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmph..well, it''s getting sided in a couple weeks so will look prettier then anyway. Teeny pictures like that, you can''t even see my stuff!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2009 7:47:47 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 6/24/2009 11:25:42 AM
OK, I am overexcited since we just finished our backyard, so I have a few pics to share.

The house''s MySpace angle. It''s a long skinny house with a rear entry garage. We''re in zero lot line homes and I love how low maintenance the yard is!

It''s ~2,225 sq. ft, 2 story, 3 bedroom, 2.5 bathrooms, with an office, loft, and 2.5 car garage.
LTP
beautiful home,but what the heck is a 2.5 garage? the 1/2 garage is for golf cart?
33.gif
It''s a 27'' wide house, therefore the garage is 27'' wide, but the door is only for a double car garage. So, we could fit a 993 in the extra space, but it would take a ton of pulling in . . . backing up . . . . pullling in . . . backing up . . . to get it in there.
2.gif

Thanks, DF!
1.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2009 8:16:46 PM
Author: packrat
k-took me forever to resize..if this is super weensy I''m gonna be ticked.
Packrat, the landscaping looks great!!!

April20

Ideal_Rock
Packrat, your landscaping looks great and makes a such a huge difference in how your house looks. Wanna come do mine?
3.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love seeing your homes, ladies, they''re all beautiful!
Our home has been suffering an identity crisis since we purchased it last summer--it doesn''t know if it wants to be country or postmodern. We''re working on committing to one or the other, but in the meantime we keep trying out different decorating schemes to see which we''d rather live with. Country is winning.

Have you seen the This Young House site? It''s amazing how that couple transformed their home.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
April, I love the teal fireplace. Have you ever thought about painting the trim in a high gloss black?

April20

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2009 11:54:09 PM
Author: pennquaker09
April, I love the teal fireplace. Have you ever thought about painting the trim in a high gloss black?
Which trim are you talking about? I''m always looking for new ideas. The frame around the fireplace opening is the original, beat up, greenish soap stone. I''m thinking of covering it in glass, mini-brick tiles. Whatcha think?

The dining room, which is adjacent to the living room, is the same color. The living room only gets light from the bay window at the front of the house, so I did the walls a light color. I was trying to decide what to do with the fireplace and saw one teal in a design blog I follow. Everyone thought I was NUTS for painting it a color, but after my bathroom, it''s my favorite thing in the house.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Wow! Your neighbors must love you!

beforeaft.jpg

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
I love all the house photos! You all have such pretty homes, and I love how they are all decorated.
4.gif

My big project this summer so far is the yard. I''ve been working on the neglected landscaping in the front yard and tearing out the jungle of weeds in the backyard. Once I am done outside, I want to repaint our kitchen. It''s currently a salmon color that reminds me of taste buds.
14.gif

Here is a snapshot of the front yard of our home. I added a burning bush and hostas and lilies on the left of the porch, potentillas along the porch, and put in a perennial garden with some new bushes (spirea, boxwood, arborvitae) on the end closest to the garage. It looks MUCH better now, so much more "home-y" than the overgrown shrubs and junk that was there.

resized Eq front yard.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2009 2:30:53 PM
Author: equestrienne
I love all the house photos! You all have such pretty homes, and I love how they are all decorated.
4.gif

My big project this summer so far is the yard. I''ve been working on the neglected landscaping in the front yard and tearing out the jungle of weeds in the backyard. Once I am done outside, I want to repaint our kitchen. It''s currently a salmon color that reminds me of taste buds.
14.gif

Here is a snapshot of the front yard of our home. I added a burning bush and hostas and lilies on the left of the porch, potentillas along the porch, and put in a perennial garden with some new bushes (spirea, boxwood, arborvitae) on the end closest to the garage. It looks MUCH better now, so much more ''home-y'' than the overgrown shrubs and junk that was there.

That looks great, and I''m soooo jealous of your adorable porch!!!! So cute!!!
30.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the compliments guys! Once the siding is done, I''ll get some new front pictures..that one was from last year, and the barberries are filled in better I think now.

Swinggirl, how did you put both pictures together?

This is one of the backyard..when we bought the house, it had the big 2 1/2 car garage in the back w/a slab of concrete off the side, the 3 big trees, and a small slab of concrete off the back of the house for a deck-that''s it. The grass was about 95% weeds. We fenced it in also. The roof over the deck was done last year. We expanded the concrete to the side as well, (where the big post is, used to be the outer edge of the patio) and they''re adding a roof over the extra part right now. The stump you can see peeking over the top of the railing was one of the big maples-I made them cut it down 2 years ago. We put fencing around it and added some honeysuckle vines this year and it''s looking good. Straight out from the deck, to the other side of the tree, they''re bricking that off in the same bricks that we have there already. The grass doesn''t grow well no matter what we do, and I am a little anal about the quality of my yard. And, where the little corner of grass sticks out right above that chair, they put in a little flower bed there too a couple weeks ago.

Dangit I need to figure out why I can''t get the pictures from the camera to the computer so I can put the new ones on here instead of last years!

100_055011.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cripes that was teensy! Lotta good that did me! I can''t figure out how to resize them so they''re not so miniscule!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2009 4:15:19 PM
Author: packrat
Cripes that was teensy! Lotta good that did me! I can''t figure out how to resize them so they''re not so miniscule!
Hey packrat - what kind of program are you using to resize?

I use GIMP (it''s a free download) and I generally just resize all of my originals to 480x680 and then when I save them, there''s an option to select quality for saving to the web. I normally then save it as quality level 75 - 80 and it gets to under 100kb without losing too much size.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results