shape
carat
color
clarity

A Tale of Two E-Rings

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I have been lurking on PS for a long while. I wanted to share my story and also give thanks for all of the incredible knowledge sharing you ladies (and men) provide for clueless girls like me! The process for my e-ring has been a little atypical and if anything I am looking for moral support! I hope this isn't too long!

Background - My bf of 2+ years and I have been talking about marriage for a little while now. We are young and relatively serious people individually, with good careers but four parents to help support financially (his parents are both disabled, mine were just terrible at planning ahead). We prefer to make decisions, many times even small ones, jointly. Him surprising me with a ring was essentially against the fiber of how we operate in a relationship.

We had talked at length about a very modest engagement/wedding, with matching budgets...but he's old school, and wanted to get me a diamond for my e-ring. I happily agreed to do research (he knew he'd be well out of his league and that I was excited at the prospect by contrast) and I quickly realized that our budget was woefully low for a diamond of any substantial size (which is what we both preferred :wall:). I am not a size queen in the traditional sense, but I am over 6ft tall with VERY large hands (size 7.5 with v long fingers) and anything under a carat looked teensy tiny, and even upwards to 1.5CTW seemed conservative for our taste (nothing wrong with it, just not for us).

I scoured the internet. I learned that I liked round vintage stones, could bend on clarity, LOVED the warmer colors of the L-O range (my heart was set on M) but was having a hard time finding anything. I was in the midst of negotiating for a 1.76CTW RB stone I saw online (not vintage) and a custom setting, but it had an inclusion in the dead center that was quite visible and it was a little dull, but I thought...this is the best deal we'd get.

On a whim, I perused a local vintage jeweler's website. And *GASP* I found my DREAM diamond ring. The color, size (2+ CARATS :shock:), with a setting nearly identical to the custom one I wanted....so my BF and I went the next day to the store! The catch?? It was so far beyond our original budget, and outside of what I thought we could afford...I felt sick about it. Of course, it was everything I could have hoped for besides cost, so I looked around and another ring unexpectedly caught my eye. It was a smaller old miner cut, a bit wonky (never what I would have picked online) but it was charming, the M color I liked, and when I sent my mother a photo, she told me it was just like my late grandmother's engagement ring - a woman I loved dearly and miss terribly. If you can believe it, I fell in love with that ring too, and at half the price, it entered into the "ring" of contenders.

So now my friends, the decision is out of my hands - he wants to take it from here. I described what I liked about both, and why my BF in no way should feel guilted into buying the bigger stone. He's our financial planner, and assured me we could swing it, but I still wanted to give him the option and I frankly would be pleased with both, although the dream ring...UGH! I am sure you all understand. So now I am agonizing and hoping the wait is over soon! He confirmed that he bought one, asked for my father's hand...it's only a matter of time! :roll: They say patience is a virtue...

The rings and pic with my giantess hand, I don't have all of the stats:

1. Midcentury RB solitaire :pray:
Setting - 14kt natural white gold (no rhodium) solitaire with lotus style prongs
2.01CTW, 8.1mm spread
M, SI1-SI2 (eye clean with a few white inclusions that are mostly covered by prongs)
Pros: Lots of fire, lovely white reflections

2. Art Deco Set Old Mine Cut
Setting - vintage platinum
1.00CTW, with 1.6CTW total (6 side diamonds, F-G color, VS clarity)
M, SI3 (eye clean)
Pros: Mined in the late 1800s, lots of history and character

IMG-4435.JPG IMG-4434.JPG 20190201-28-cjiqah.jpeg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Each ring is beautiful in its own right. I love that a stone has history behind it. I hope you will be happy with whichever stone/ring he picked out!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Firstly, welcome to PS! And congratulations on the search for an engagement ring - exciting times.

These are both beautiful rings & I adore the old charm & stories the antique stone could tell you! Personally, I'm a solitaire girl & I can see why you would like the one that's in the running.

Please do come back after the proposal & show us your new (or very, very old!) sparkles!

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well this is exciting! I can't wait to see which ring he chooses for you.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are both beautiful @annagene12! Lots of wonderful things are ahead for you! This is very exciting and I can't wait to see which ring he chose.

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
‘Welcome’ annagene12. They’re both beautiful rings and either will look lovely on you. Thank you for sharing your story with us.
I think it’s actually fitting and lovely that your boyfriend gets to make the final decision, as technically/traditionally it’s a ring gifted from him to you.

Obviously the most important aspect of all this...is that you have the best boyfriend and soon to be Fiancé for you, wishing you both a very happy life together, with whichever your engagement ring turns out to be.
Hope we get to see it soon.:appl:

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like the two of you have a very strong relationship and are considerate and thoughtful of each other. The ring is just the icing on the cake! Congratulations and I look forward to seeing which one he chose.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
congradulations on your engagment
i love the old one the best but they both look stunning on you
i too look forward to knowing which one he's got you

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
They are both lovely rings. Very excited for you. Hope you’ll come back with updates.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty congrats!!!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a preference, but alas - it’s not for ME!! When will we know the decision??? Can’t wait. And - CONGRATS!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS! I love your story so much! I can’t wait to see if I’m right about which ring he picked for you! ;)2 Lovely choices either one. Btw, your fingers are long and lovely! Beautiful.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations and looking forward to seeing your chosen ring...you guys have a strong relationship and that is what matters. Though the ring will be a beautiful symbol of the love and respect you two share. :appl:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m so excited for you..They are both beautiful rings. Please let us know which one he chose for you...Lots of pics please!

angeljosephy

Rough_Rock
Premium
I can't wait to see the one he chose on your hand after the proposal!:kiss2:

HNGN

Shiny_Rock
excited for you!!! Can't wait on what your bf pick out in the end. I am sure he knows what you truly love.....:D:D

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very exciting! Come back and show us "the one"!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
What a lovely community this is!

Thank you all so much for your kind words of encouragement! I will ABSOLUTELY keep everyone posted and will do another post of the final ring when the time comes. I am so excited!

And you all are absolutely right - I love this man with all my heart and that is definitely most important, which is why either one he chooses will be perfect, because it will be a representation of how he wants to convey his love. I can’t wait to marry him.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The love and respect between the two of you is truly special! It bodes very well for your future together! :kiss2: What a wonderful story and I'm so looking forward to reading about your soon(hopefully!)-to-be engagement!!

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
This is fantastic - Don't forget to return with the conclusion of the story.

pinklemonadegurl

Shiny_Rock
Your hands are STUNNING, and either ring will be a sparkly and eye-catching testament to your love and commitment. Happy and excited for you-has he 'hinted' as to when......:twisted2:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Well PS friends - we have an update! The wait was pure agony...but patience paid off...I AM ENGAGED AS OF LAST NIGHT! It was a perfect evening, and I had a sense that it might happen but I wasn't sure, I didn't want to spoil a special evening with expectations so I *tried* to go in with an open mind! He planned a date night for us weeks ago - we went to dinner at our all-time favorite restaurant, a beautiful place called the Cherry Circle Room in a famous gothic building from the 1890s called the Chicago Athletic Association. It holds a special place in both our hearts.

After that, we went to Navy Pier and walked down the boardwalk, with the lit up city skyline at our backs and the dark lake out in front of us - it was lovely. We were there to see Romeo and Juliet at the Chicago Shakespeare theater. It was PHENOMENAL (for anyone in or visiting Chicago- highly recommend). After we got home, I truly wasn't sure if it was going to happen that night. He swooped into the apartment ahead of me and by the time I turned a corner out of the foyer, he gave me a kiss and dropped on one knee. :rolleyes: Clearly, I said YES! Hope the details aren't too much....!

I am so elated I could barely sleep! I plan on doing a full post about the ring (not sure where I should post it in the forum? Newbie problems)....but you all were so kind and supportive I couldn't wait to tell you!

Each time I glance down at my hand, I think about his generosity and warmth, the fact that he knew which one would suit me...it's reflected in the warm colored diamond. It is breathtaking and I can't stop looking at it! It is a 2.01 early RB, M color, SI1-SI2, and 8.1MM across. I wear a 7.5 ring size.

I am still in letting it sink in. I can't believe that such a wonderful man asked ME to marry HIM! We had talked about it so much, I can't believe that I still feel so swept off my feet (in a good way!!!)

Here are some pics until I create a full post...forgive my dry, red hands (from the cold), but I couldn't resist! The stone is the perfect color - faces up ivory in some light, or buttery light yellow, with sparkles of green, pink, white, blue - a veritable rainbow, which is JUST what I wanted. I love earth tones and think this color and the simple low setting is perfect for me.

Attachments

• IMG-4926.jpg
    IMG-4926.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG-4905.jpg
    IMG-4905.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG-4906.jpg
    IMG-4906.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG-4909.jpg
    IMG-4909.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG-4911.jpg
    IMG-4911.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG-4912.jpg
    IMG-4912.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG-4915.jpg
    IMG-4915.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG-4922.jpg
    IMG-4922.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 124

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CONGRATULATIONS!! Your proposal story is so full of love and joy and gratitude. (Is someone chopping onions in here??) Your fiance made a fine choice in that stone - I love the fiery rainbow flashes and the elegantly minimal low-profile setting complements it so well! So happy for you!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! What a lovely proposal! I’m so happy he chose the ring your heart desired! A warm welcome from a fellow Illinoisan! :wavey:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations, your ring is stunning, and looks perfect on your hand.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
What a wonderful a lovely engagement story! Really special, thank you for sharing such a special event with us, it was a pleasure to read.

I'm so glad that your ring is everything you hoped and dreamed for, too! It looks like an amazing chameleon!

Congratulations to you and your future husband!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! It's beautiful and looks lovely on you. May you be very happy together!

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
What a lovely story to go along with such a lovely ring ❤️ Congratulations on your engagement and finding such a fitting partner!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results