shape
carat
color
clarity

A Shift in Direction: Antique OEC and Steven Kirsch Special

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Similar to my journey with this ring, I went back and forth on whether starting this thread now or later. There is a story for the diamond and also for the ring - I will share it both!

About the Diamond
This gorgeous diamond is a true OEC that was found by Kelpie for me back in January 2012. I was very nervous as this was the first big diamond purchase I made without seeing the actual stone. I am so glad that I took the risk because this diamond is simply gorgeous - I have seen more than 50 OECs since and not one is as beautiful to me. I thought about replacing this diamond for a bigger or whiter one but I have decided that I love it too much and it is here to stay. This is the stone that will forever change me in how I look at diamonds.

The stone came with an IGI certificate and I decided to send it to both EGL and GIA. EGL-Canada is extremely strict in the multiple times I have used them in that they are usually on par with clarity and one grade off in color when compared to GIA. Regardless, this diamond faces up so white and you don't see any color until you look at it from the side.

Diamond Specs
Old European Cut
Measurements: 7.51 x 7.67 x 4.73 mm
Carat Weight: 1.73 (GIA), 1.72 (EGL)
Color Grade: L (GIA), K (EGL), J (IGI)
Clarity Grade: VS1 (GIA, EGL)
Depth: 62.3%
Table: 47%

Ring Size: 3.25 (my RHR and anticipate for swollen fingers down the road)

About the Setting
I owned a setting that I coveted for years - I loved it but had nothing to put in it but this stone deserves this home. However, the setting was a bit bulky for what I usually wear and the metal work wasn't that great. Steven Kirsch was a darling and agreed to make this ring beautiful for me. He essentially re-did the whole setting by refining the metal work, adding pave every where, changing the stones to better cut stones and making those beautiful double prongs. It is literally a brand new ring now. So why the hesitation in this thread - well, I am thinking about fully remaking it as I feel that the diamond needs more girdle protection.

I should also mention that Steven also was the one that sent the diamond to GIA for me even though it is a huge pain in the butt. I can't thank him enough for always looking after me!

skring-5.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Re: A Shift in Direction: Antique OEC and Steven Kirsch Spec

You can only see body color from the side. I actually think a more closed off setting will make the diamond look even better.
skring-9.jpg

I didn't take many photos of the ring but here are some more photos from my blackberry. Pardon the quality.
skring-1.jpg

Check out the crazy sparkle on this diamond.
skring-2.jpg
skring-3.jpg

Of course, not complete without a hand shot no matter how bad the hand shot is.
skring-4.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

Now onto the diamond pics.
skring_-_oecalone.jpg

Check out my idealscope image that got messed up. Love it!
skring_-_oecalone2.jpg

This was the original setting for the diamond.
skring_-_oecoldhome.jpg

Just for fun .. this was the original photo of the diamond from the seller.
charmypoo_oec_want.jpg

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

Oh it's so beautiful! I love the current setting. Congrats!!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Charmy!!! ITS GORGEOUS!!! I love it for what it is - and its perfect, IMO!!! Love the marquise sides - I almost picked a setting similar to that at LJN in NYC!! Its beautiful in that setting - don't change a thing - its TDF as is! What a stunning stone too! And the handshots- regardless of BB quality - are lovely!!! ENjoy and thanks for posting a thread!!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

Enerchi|1353165809|3308722 said:
Charmy!!! ITS GORGEOUS!!! I love it for what it is - and its perfect, IMO!!! Love the marquise sides - I almost picked a setting similar to that at LJN in NYC!! Its beautiful in that setting - don't change a thing - its TDF as is! What a stunning stone too! And the handshots- regardless of BB quality - are lovely!!! ENjoy and thanks for posting a thread!!

You know what .. I love the marquis too. It's the gallery which I am not sure about. It is very open and the diamond has a thin girdle. Decisions .. decisions. My friend is going to NYC next week and I am thinking of giving him the ring to drop off with Steven. One week to decide.

JuneRose

Brilliant_Rock

I ADORE this ring :love: :love: :love:
My dream one day is to own an OEC or AVR in a setting similar to this but I couldn't find pictures of a ring like that anywhere! When I saw your other thread my jaw dropped! It's just breathtaking :appl:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Spectacular!! The setting is perfect!

maccers

Brilliant_Rock

FABULOUS! Fabulous, fabulous!

Charmy - Can i ask what colour the sidestones are? A setting I'm looking at has G-H sidestones (channel set) and I'm considering a warmer centre stone.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Truly stunning! You certainly have an eye for beautiful rings!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

I've always loved this diamond. So glad it's finally set so you can enjoy it! Do you have a profile shot of the ring? Has Steven suggested what he can do to close off the gallery?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

ForteKitty|1353180066|3308859 said:
I've always loved this diamond. So glad it's finally set so you can enjoy it! Do you have a profile shot of the ring? Has Steven suggested what he can do to close off the gallery?

Yes, he said we have to remake the whole ring and I am actually considering it.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

Rosebloom|1353165754|3308720 said:
Oh it's so beautiful! I love the current setting. Congrats!!

Me too! I only wish the gallery wasn't so open but I may invest in changing the setting. OECs are so perfect for this marquise setting - it's like a whole flower with petals.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

JuneRose|1353167571|3308745 said:
I ADORE this ring :love: :love: :love:
My dream one day is to own an OEC or AVR in a setting similar to this but I couldn't find pictures of a ring like that anywhere! When I saw your other thread my jaw dropped! It's just breathtaking :appl:

I am glad to be able to provide a photo! I have always wanted a ring like this but not as an e-ring. I am glad that I have one now although I am getting double takes with what looks like I am wearing an e-ring on each finger!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

Laila619|1353169608|3308760 said:
Spectacular!! The setting is perfect!

Thanks so much Laila. Your compliments are very much appreciated.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

maccers|1353172072|3308787 said:
FABULOUS! Fabulous, fabulous!

Charmy - Can i ask what colour the sidestones are? A setting I'm looking at has G-H sidestones (channel set) and I'm considering a warmer centre stone.

The marquise are probably around H/I if I had to guess. The round melee are F/G. For this center stone, it faces up colorless most of the time so the difference in side stones don't matter so much. I tried a M color stone in this setting and the contrast was too much for me .. it was just a bit yellow but not yellow enough ... know what I mean?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

AprilBaby|1353173579|3308801 said:
Truly stunning! You certainly have an eye for beautiful rings!

I am glad you like them. I know my taste in rings aren't always standard and the traditional beauty type but I love them. Each one is me.

NTave

Shiny_Rock

That has to be the prettiest setting I've ever seen. It's breathtaking.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

LOVE :love: :love: :love: :love:

Luxie

Shiny_Rock

Wow it is breathtaking! :love: Can you post pics of the under gallery? Wear it in the best of health!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

Welllll, I heard that you cannot tolerate the beauty of this ring and therefore I offer take this ring immediately in order to reduce your stress..... please send it to Sharonlovesthisringalot, Canada. :cheeky: :love:

cheers--Sharon

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think that diamond is just too small for you, Charmy. I will be nice and take it off your hands so you can get a larger one! :naughty:

Okay, it is gorgeous as are all your rings! :love:

Is the girdle very thin? Because we put thin girdles in solitare settings all the time. And you obviously know you could have had the girdle polished to not be very thin. So it must be something else that is making you want to change the setting? I really love the setting and would just use it as is for a colored stone if you want to make a new setting for the OEC.

hoover

Shiny_Rock

Oh CharmyPoo, this ring is my fave of your "family" of rings.

It's SO gorgeous - I think the marquise sides are like leaves of a flower. Perfect setting for a beautiful diamond :appl:

Do you have any more pics of the gallery? I'd love to see more profile shots!

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock

Gorgeous :love:

This and the modern cushion are my favorites of all your rings!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock

Stunning ring!!! Would never have known such a beautiful OEC was hiding behind that awful vendor picture. Steven did an amazing job with the rework!!

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock

:love: it's beauuuuutiful! Those marquise do look just like leaves surrounding a beautiful flower. :love: Did you say the fir de was extremely or very thin? Or are you just wanting to be extra careful?

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Gorgeous ring! Beautiful addition to you great-looking "family"!

Abby12

Shiny_Rock

Oh i love it! I love your whole collection! :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results