shape
carat
color
clarity

A Resplendent Ruby and Old Mine Cut Diamond Ring by Old Miner Jewelry/Sako

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Wow @elizat - what an incredible, and special heirloom piece you have. It is remarkable - and as beautiful as it appears easy to wear!

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
@elizat I would love it if at some point you showed us your collection. If you have already done a thread on it please point me in the right direction. If you feel comfortable doing that of course. If not, I understand. Thank you!

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm both speechless and breathless. :kiss2:

Thanks for the process photos. I had no idea milgrain was added after setting. How on earth do they do that?!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a beautiful masterpiece - really a special treasure - wear in happiness!

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
That is a stunning creation, the matching of the rubies is superb! Even my husband was impressed, and he is a hard sell...Congrats!

MjK1

Shiny_Rock

Thanks for the process photos. I had no idea milgrain was added after setting. How on earth do they do that?!

With a small millgrain tool, like a wheel...

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yyyyyyaaaaaaassss. The rubies look so juicy I wanna eat them

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
That is gorgeous so glad to finally read the story behind it. What a stunner!! What happened to Gilda? Was she “the one who got away”? In any event this piece is just divine!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@elizat You already know what I think. But I’m feeling rhymey tonight. So.

An unsurprising inspiration! Because -
a coveted ring, this Gilda was...

But emeralds, delicate, in yellow
your gorgeous diamond, I agree, would swallow

Now rubies! And such substantial weight!
An heirloom Sako would create
with *actually* pink-less, purple-less reds,
and patina to mask the metal spreads,
and profile low for daily wear -
hefty comfortable flair :love:

And after a year and a half of waiting
“I quite like it” without hesitating!!
Resplendent’s very aptly due
and happy Valentine’s to you ::)

HollyC

Brilliant_Rock
Well I can't compete with @yssie's eloquent poem :love: so I will say one word. Magnificent!!

Kvintage

Rough_Rock
Love the color of the center diamond

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@elizat I would love it if at some point you showed us your collection. If you have already done a thread on it please point me in the right direction. If you feel comfortable doing that of course. If not, I understand. Thank you!

Hi there, I actually recently started one!

I'll eventually include this in it, because it is an antique stone even if the setting is new. I guess I can, because it's my thread? ☺️

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
So, so wonderful! As is the story of how hard it was to make this ring and the red rubies that were sacrificed in the process. We like to say in the antiques subforum: “They don’t make them like that anymore.” In this case, it WAS made like that for you. A heirloom piece!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
:love: :shock::love::shock::love: Hooo-leee schmoles !!!!:love::shock::love::shock::love:
(and yeah, that's about as articulate as it's getting for now.)
Fan club?
YES.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Simply breathtaking! I would never have thought Gilda could be surpassed, but holy cow.....

Utterly stunning. The craftsmanship is mind blowing! :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
The ring arrived today. I think it was worth the wait. The craftsmanship of the pieces he and his dad make or refurbish is really top notch.

It is indeed! She is a beauty!! Congrats!

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, such a commanding presence, I can't decide whether she is saying 'take me, take me' or 'bring it on', but as you said, she is certainly not shy. Beautiful.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
What a unique gorgeous ring. The color of those rubies is spectacular.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Wow @elizat - what an incredible, and special heirloom piece you have. It is remarkable - and as beautiful as it appears easy to wear!

It is user friendly! As much as many folks like really tiny prongs- and I do too, I usually opt at least for a thin metal halo or faux bezel, to protect the stone. It gives me peace of mind. Here, both bezels are protecting a good bit of stone, which is honestly the key to be able to wear it, I think. Thanks for the nice comment on the ring!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
‘THE’ Gilda is beautiful and I’m jealous of her owner.
@elizat - you know this I’m sure - your gorgeous ring is built to last a lifetime or three of loving wear.
I don’t think that can be said of some reproductions that were built with the proportions to look like they already have that age.
Amazing skill, Sako and his Dad have.

elizat

Ideal_Rock

Progress photos are fun. I always like seeing how it's made myself!

We started with a high polish finish on the bezels, but I was picky and thought it was too shiny. So, he did a soft brush finish on the bezels and then a layer of patina/antiquing was added.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous ring, @elizat !! I loved seeing the process backstory to the design and creation of your one of a kind treasure! You’re right about Sako and his dad having a unique and valuable combined skill set. You are fortunate to have tapped into such a wonderful resource, especially for reworking antique components.
I am learning by watching.
You all make a great team! Enjoy your beautiful ring! Love, love that center stone by the way!

Thanks and I'm glad others liked seeing the process/back story too. I think it's important to see, because a lot of times people are surprised at a vendor's charge for x or y and it's not all just the raw material- you have a lot of skill and time that has to go into things, whether it's cutting stones, doing pave, etc.!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Oh goodness! I LOVE Gilda and your have surpassed her with this ruby red rendition.
Love love love this, every facet. Wow!!!

The original Gilda is a looker! This is not as delicate, but the old mine isn't as delicate. Originally, the CADS were more in line with the width and general size or her halo, but it was a bit off. It needed a bit larger stones to work with the old mine and the pillow soft cushion outline, as compared to the slimmer more elongated oval. I think we had 2 or 3 revisions on the cads to get the proportions where they landed. I am really pleased with the rubies and they have a pretty glow in the sun too.

I just love diamonds framed with colored stone French cuts. That halo outline is so unique and beautiful. A stunning ring all around. You got the best of the best as far as diamond and rubies. Awesome!

It's fun to see what they started as and what they end up as for me. I really do like the end color and when we started, I was worried they might be a little too purple, but all I see on these is red- he knew what he was picking! Thank you for your sweet comments!

There are no words...I'm almost speechless. The sheer level of perfection and artistry is amazing. And I love that you chose rubies, they are so rich, and the entire look is flawless. Congratulations on owning yet another incredible piece!

Thanks so much! His attention to detail is really something else. At one point in setting, the very last stone chipped when they were building the halo. Between little chips that happened in setting and color matching, they really did a great job on the execution of it. It's a little moody, rich in color and the center stone isn't bad either. :bigsmile:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Sigh...another perfect piece in an already perfect collection, @elizat...
I‘m officially jealous:mrgreen:

:):lol: I appreciate that! With what I have now, and what I have in the works, my goals is to have things that stick around and were not impulses or just fun projects. I did break my own rule with an aquamarine and enamel ring I have coming, but let's not discuss that.

I did that to try out a vendor for a colored stone and for a different level of budget work for the setting. I love my mom, but she doesn't see the differences in the workmanship with items, so the aqua ring I have coming is an experiment to see if I can work with that vendor for things for her for future projects for gifting.

Incredibly beautiful!
Thank you!

Such a beautiful masterpiece - really a special treasure - wear in happiness!

Thank you!

That is a stunning creation, the matching of the rubies is superb! Even my husband was impressed, and he is a hard sell...Congrats!

Glad to know the hard sell husband was impressed! :)I think sometimes folks just see "more shiny stuff" generally! Thank you for the nice comments!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
That is gorgeous so glad to finally read the story behind it. What a stunner!! What happened to Gilda? Was she “the one who got away”? In any event this piece is just divine!!

Original Gilda was sold some years back and just wasn't in my budget when Grace got her in stock. Real life budget concerns and all! :lol: I have always been very partial to the setting and overall look, so that's what led to this. If an antique oval that was over 2 carats would have popped up on my radar that was nice and in my mental budget, I would have done it, but those are really like finding a unicorn. True antique ovals are harder than antique pears to find, and when you get over a certain size, times that to the whatever power harder.

@elizat You already know what I think. But I’m feeling rhymey tonight. So.

An unsurprising inspiration! Because -
a coveted ring, this Gilda was...

But emeralds, delicate, in yellow
your gorgeous diamond, I agree, would swallow

Now rubies! And such substantial weight!
An heirloom Sako would create
with *actually* pink-less, purple-less reds,
and patina to mask the metal spreads,
and profile low for daily wear -
hefty comfortable flair :love:

And after a year and a half of waiting
“I quite like it” without hesitating!!
Resplendent’s very aptly due
and happy Valentine’s to you ::)

:appl::D What will I do with you?! Thank you for your late night poetry artistry and feedback on the finishing. xoxo

Well I can't compete with @yssie's eloquent poem :love: so I will say one word. Magnificent!!

Thank you! Magnificent, we'll take it! My other half would probably just say it's "not bad" as that is his normal go to when he likes something. :roll:

Love the color of the center diamond

Thank you!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
My goodness but that is lovely! Might have to try it on. Just for a minute.

Aw, thanks! I would be happy to let folks try this on!

So, so wonderful! As is the story of how hard it was to make this ring and the red rubies that were sacrificed in the process. We like to say in the antiques subforum: “They don’t make them like that anymore.” In this case, it WAS made like that for you. A heirloom piece!

Yes, they definitely don't make them like this, not normally! I think about a calibre emerald halo ring I have with a delicate halo and then I think about this- both are very difficult in their own way. The smaller stones allow for more variation and it's there. Not all my emeralds perfectly match and they can get away with it, because it's just a wave of green. This, a non matching stone would just stare at you! It's a very fussy and time consuming setting to build, but I feel lucky to have it!

:love: :shock::love::shock::love: Hooo-leee schmoles !!!!:love::shock::love::shock::love:
(and yeah, that's about as articulate as it's getting for now.)
Fan club?
YES.

:lol::):wavey: Morning and thank you! I usually take a bit to warm up to something, even if it's custom, but instead of my normal, oh, it's nice or it will do and then I really like, it right out of the box I decided that I quite liked this one a lot!

Simply breathtaking! I would never have thought Gilda could be surpassed, but holy cow.....

Utterly stunning. The craftsmanship is mind blowing! :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:

Thank you! I don't know if she surpasses her, but it certainly turned out very, very well! I actually did have Sako ask the owner of Gilda if a ruby version was okay as well. It's a small world...

It is indeed! She is a beauty!! Congrats!

Thank you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results