shape
carat
color
clarity

A Resplendent Ruby and Old Mine Cut Diamond Ring by Old Miner Jewelry/Sako

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Forewarning- this will be a bit of a story. Photos will follow, of course.

This is probably my longest running project. I have always loved a ring that featured an old cut oval, in an emerald halo, which the owner calls Gilda purchased from Jewels by Grace. If you "know" Gilda, you get it. Gilda has a fan club.

This is Gilda, if you don't know her. Hey, Gilda!

Screenshot_20210219-170148.jpg

Gilda is perfect, to me. I have never seen another ring quite like it and I have looked.

I had in the back of my mind, that a setting could be made to look like it, one day. Finding a larger antique oval though, that is truly antique and not newly cut, is a very hard task though. So, in summer of 2019- yes, 2019, I purchased a loose old mine cut without knowing how I'd set it. My preference is for an old mine cut/early cushion the majority of the time.

I purchased this stone:

Screenshot_20210219-165210.jpg

In the photo, you really don't get an idea of how it looks or performs. It may be a Q/R, but it's a really white facing Q/R, in my view. It is a chunky stone with very lively facets.

I noticed that Sako had done a version of Gilda with emeralds and a rose cut diamond, as well as supersize fat emeralds. So, I reached out to him to discuss it and see if he'd be agreeable to working with my stone, what a rough budget would be and his process. He's my go to now. He's excellent at his craft and he's a good person- it is fun to work with him and talk to him. We started the talks on this in fall of 2019.

The ring arrived today. I think it was worth the wait. The craftsmanship of the pieces he and his dad make or refurbish is really top notch. I'm spoiled, I guess, because I have a few of them.

The original design had emeralds, obviously! Emeralds are more fragile. I have an antique calibre emerald ring and I can see the wear that happens on them. I see the wear that happens even on emeralds that are worn regularly that are not 100 years old. I opted to ask about ruby instead. My thought also was that because my stone does have a tint, that the yellow/green would pick up the tint, whereas a blue/red would mask it. I think it does and that idea was successful.

Here is the setting, after casting. It is platinum and 18kt yellow gold.

Screenshot_20210219-164941.jpg

Screenshot_20210219-164944.jpg

As part of the project, Sako had to find rubies that were going to be suitable to recut intro french cuts, as well as met my budget and color preferences. Big ask and he did an excellent job.

He found a parcel that ticked the boxes and the plan was for his dad to cut each individual stone to fit the halo, and at the same time, refacet to french cuts. The level of skill to have those pieces fit perfectly into the frame, and also match colorwise, after recutting, is one that I don't think many have. There was waste with the project, due to stones either chipping after being set, or after a recut, they simply did not match well enough.

Here is what we started with, before the stones were recut:

Screenshot_20210219-164934.jpg

I wanted red rubies. Not pink, not garnet, not pink/purple, not purple/brown/red. Red. But, at a certain budget. Sako and dad- they are magic.

Here is a photo of the process of the initial setting of the stones.

Screenshot_20210219-164830.jpg

To be continued...

elizat

Ideal_Rock
A bit more of the process for setting the stones into the frame:

Screenshot_20210219-164834.jpg

Screenshot_20210219-164844.png

Time consuming process, that took a lot of effort to do, to say the least, to cut to fit, as well as color match.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh wow, what a project and what skill Sako and his Dad have! Love your diamond it looks amazing in that setting and totally get your choice of ruby over emerald!
You have a fabulous collection, wouldn’t I love to play in your jewelry box!
Would love to see some finger shots?

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Wow that is a spectacular ring. The red just complements the centre stone and the ring itself is so fluid. The craftsmanship is amazing. Enjoy your new ring while I just drool over the pics hehe keep them coming! More more more lol.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hand shots, I wear a size 7.

PXL_20210219_161352415_20210219160119233.jpg PXL_20210219_190606061.jpg PXL_20210219_190706616.jpg PXL_20210219_164626855.jpg

PXL_20210219_174636775.jpg

Ooooh that’s a substantial size as well! It looks lovely on you! Will it a right hand ring or do you swap around as the mood takes?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@meely I normally don't wear a right-hand ring so I just swap everything around usually. It really annoys me most of the time to have something on my right hand, because I'm right-handed. I dislike the feel of anything on my finger when I am writing or flipping through documents at work. I'm weird!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@meely I normally don't wear a right-hand ring so I just swap everything around usually. It really annoys me most of the time to have something on my right hand, because I'm right-handed. I dislike the feel of anything on my finger when I am writing or flipping through documents at work. I'm weird!

Ha not at all, we are all different. My mission at the moment is the opposite, I want to try and wear more rings at the same time, get my wear out of them etc sadly I don’t have as many as you (yet ;)2)

Laurainthesky

Shiny_Rock
I had to train my fingers to get used to the annoying feeling of a bunch of rings. I have a ring or two which fit on my thumb, but I haven't trained that yet. Lol

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your ring is amazing!! It looks gorgeous on your hand :love: . Congrats on your beautiful new work of art!

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
In all of my years on Pricescope I have never said, that's my favorite ring on Pricescope. I am saying it now- your ring is my favorite on Pricescope @elizat ! It looks like it was made for a queen! It in no way is too much, in every way it's beautiful and perfection. You will cherish that always. With good reason. The talent and the workmanship leave me speechless. Your vision is impeccable. Congratulations on a work of art that will stand the test of time. I love it!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy cow! Speechless with awe!! Simply perfection!! :clap::clap::clap:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
In all of my years on Pricescope I have never said, that's my favorite ring on Pricescope. I am saying it now- your ring is my favorite on Pricescope @elizat ! It looks like it was made for a queen! It in no way is too much, in every way it's beautiful and perfection. You will cherish that always. With good reason. The talent and the workmanship leave me speechless. Your vision is impeccable. Congratulations on a work of art that will stand the test of time. I love it!

Thank you! I really am so pleased with it! It really just works and flows, even though it's a larger piece. She's not shy. ☺️ I don't think that many people could have made it, honestly. The cutting that went into the rubies was something else entirely, above most halos. We had about 1.2 carats of waste. I do appreciate how picky he was with color matching as well, because it would have stuck out if he had not been. I am very happy to accept the title of your favorite ring on Pricescope! ❤️

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous ring, @elizat !! I loved seeing the process backstory to the design and creation of your one of a kind treasure! You’re right about Sako and his dad having a unique and valuable combined skill set. You are fortunate to have tapped into such a wonderful resource, especially for reworking antique components.
I am learning by watching.
You all make a great team! Enjoy your beautiful ring! Love, love that center stone by the way!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh goodness! I LOVE Gilda and your have surpassed her with this ruby red rendition.
Love love love this, every facet. Wow!!!

Papillion

Rough_Rock
I just love diamonds framed with colored stone French cuts. That halo outline is so unique and beautiful. A stunning ring all around. You got the best of the best as far as diamond and rubies. Awesome!

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Truly spectacular!

Beagles

Shiny_Rock
So happy for you and your incredible ring!

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Sigh...another perfect piece in an already perfect collection, @elizat...
I‘m officially jealous:mrgreen:

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are no words...I'm almost speechless. The sheer level of perfection and artistry is amazing. And I love that you chose rubies, they are so rich, and the entire look is flawless. Congratulations on owning yet another incredible piece!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Incredibly beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results