shape
carat
color
clarity

A little underwhelmed with initial setting

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Acinom here is VCs version. I do not like his proportions as well but the bezel is thinner and the traps and bullet open. Thoughts? I like the clean bezel, not a huge fan of miligrain as of now.
I like the single bezel across both sidestines. It gives the 5 diamonds continuity of flow. I also think your ratio is better for this style than the 1.23 ratio. This is why I keep hesitating on my asscher, it’s ratio.

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the single bezel across both sidestines. It gives the 5 diamonds continuity of flow. I also think your ratio is better for this style than the 1.23 ratio. This is why I keep hesitating on my asscher, it’s ratio.
I see what you mean about the bezel, but I think I want trapezoids that are more triangular and are a little bit longer where the ends meet the diamond. Does that make sense?

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
B03CA961-9252-4CF2-B6A2-28CCCE12E144.png DBC776C6-8E28-4540-82C3-C1C7BF71F5F0.png I know I’m posting like a mad person but need all the advice I can get. Here are the dramatic traps I’m talking about on a 1.33 ratio... belongs to another PSer:)

Last edited:

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
B03CA961-9252-4CF2-B6A2-28CCCE12E144.png DBC776C6-8E28-4540-82C3-C1C7BF71F5F0.png I know I’m posting like a mad person but need all the advice I can get. Here are the dramatic traps I’m talking about on a 1.33 ratio... belongs to another PSer:)
Ok but the. You won’t have a step down to the bullet width, they are likely to be he same width as the bottom of the traps right? Have you also considered double trapezoid sides?

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@scarsmum “Ideally” they would be a little thicker at the base.... I guess I should see what David comes up with. I just know I want a very triangular look then the bullets. I feel like if I don’t get exact pics I may not end up with what I want:(2 haven’t ever seen traps on traps!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the profile of the VC ring as it’s more airy. And the top view of the MB ring with the look of the individually bezelled sidestones

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the profile of the VC ring as it’s more airy. And the top view of the MB ring with the look of the individually bezelled sidestones
You are on the money!!

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
FB500C5A-5FB1-40E2-A460-5F554FA0E681.jpeg A36CC777-9C87-43A4-8FBC-3C5CC532105A.jpeg I couldn’t find an emerald example but this is the double trap look.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
C0BB8431-096A-42A1-AD4D-F44837A8A44A.jpeg 081A0FE0-C66D-4379-B677-DA379333DCE0.jpeg 84B6EA62-007B-49DD-BEDE-D0C810B306DB.jpeg
Don’t want to confuse you further, but have you considered tapered french cuts? I have this setting with a big OEC, and I love the look with a EC! This one belongs to Mimi. It will look beautiful on your slender hand as well.

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
C0BB8431-096A-42A1-AD4D-F44837A8A44A.jpeg 081A0FE0-C66D-4379-B677-DA379333DCE0.jpeg 84B6EA62-007B-49DD-BEDE-D0C810B306DB.jpeg
Don’t want to confuse you further, but have you considered tapered french cuts? I have this setting with a big OEC, and I love the look with a EC! This one belongs to Mimi. It will look beautiful on your slender hand as well.
I have... it just doesn’t sing to me like MB design

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Blingalingaling Amy from Klass’s is having some traps called in from New York, should arrive by Tuesday. Question... did you have trouble sourcing your traps? Doesn’t seem like they are just readily available.

Last edited:

Blingalingaling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Emeraldsaremyfavorite Yes, finding traps in the right color, size and shape took several tries over several weeks. We wanted to find a close match for the cut of the EC, to keep in budget and get clear, well-cut stones. I also wasn't sure how the various shapes of side stones would look next to my stone on my hand, so we experimented! My jeweler brought sets of traps, some shields, bullets and baguettes for me to see at first and then we narrowed it down to trapezoids. Once we knew what direction we were taking, she started bringing three sets of traps at a time for me to see.
I don't think she had any particular difficulty getting stones to show me, but they weren't all great candidates. She seemed to know who to go to in the market to source them. She would go on Mondays and then I'd see them that Saturday. We did that for about a month.
Like every other aspect of the ring, you want it to look "right" and the only way to know that is to see it.
I ended up getting small traps that taper quite a bit and flare out slightly, away from the center stone. They almost look like fat baguettes but they are step cut. I love the look but it did take a while to get there!

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
AEDBF6AA-8BEE-476E-8604-D9C467368007.jpeg @Blingalingaling I hear you in finding the color match, etc. I had that with my last too! This one I feel is extra important because I’m going for such a dramatic triangular luck, and it has to be just right. But good to know that there are lots of sources. Unfortunately, Amy couldn’t find any in Los Angeles.

@ILikeShiny You kindly provided me drawings with proportions of my old traps, can you tell me what program you used? I am really trying to nail the lenght of the traps with this new inspiration. My EC being 10.46 I’m guessing 7 mm and length? It’s so hard to gauge! This is the shot I gave Amy

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AEDBF6AA-8BEE-476E-8604-D9C467368007.jpeg @Blingalingaling I hear you in finding the color match, etc. I had that with my last too! This one I feel is extra important because I’m going for such a dramatic triangular luck, and it has to be just right. But good to know that there are lots of sources. Unfortunately, Amy couldn’t find any in Los Angeles.

@ILikeShiny You kindly provided me drawings with proportions of my old traps, can you tell me what program you used? I am really trying to nail the lenght of the traps with this new inspiration. My EC being 10.46 I’m guessing 7 mm and length? It’s so hard to gauge! This is the shot I gave Amy
I used the basic edit functions on the iPhone photos app. I started by taking a photo of graph paper and then drew lines using each square as representative of a mm.

I'd suggest resizing graph paper until the EC above equaled 10.5 squares and then you should be able to approximate the size of the traps.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I kind of hate to say this but have you considered getting the ring made by Mark Broumand?

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I kind of hate to say this but have you considered getting the ring made by Mark Broumand?
I actually have, and contacted him for a quote. He never got back to me. I hate it too because I have an allegiance towards David and Amy, and they already did a ring cast and everything for me with my old inspiration ring . But I want to nail this look!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would rock that rock as a solitaire for a while. Enjoy getting to know it. Then I’d reset it. When I was sure.

This. 100%.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I find it a little odd I suppose that David cannot nail the proportions without you needing to figure it out.

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I find it a little odd I suppose that David cannot nail the proportions without you needing to figure it out.
He actually hasn’t shown me anything yet..., I am just a perfectionist and thought I would give him my thoughts. But I should probably wait until I see what he gets in Tuesday. I would think he could nail it as well. I’m going to give him a chance and stop trying to do the leg work myself!! Then if we are not getting anywhere, contact Mark again.

Mark’s ring sings to me like no other ring. I absolutely love it!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My fear is that you're going to have sides that are going to take away from your large center stone. I really love the small traps that you had cut down. I think you are underwhelmed with the casting because you can't see the diamonds on the shank yet. But I like that look better personally, because it makes the center stone the star and rather than one mass of diamonds like a 5 stone. I am hearing you say that you like the look of more diamonds, though. So my preference really doesn't matter! (But there is a member here who had her round set as a 5 stone similar to the ones you are looking at, and she changed it to a solitaire!)

Here's a ring similar to your inspiration from a member here. I'd do tab or claw prongs, of course, but I still like the idea of it since the center stone is the star. I love Mimi's french cut ring for the same reason.

ECwave1127.jpg

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@diamondseeker2006 thanks for the input!! I hear you, and that’s exactly why I was initially going for the smal traps and pave band. Then I saw the angled traps with bullets and it was just instantly my favorite ring. I do think the bezel helps the EC stand out. I’m holding out for this design!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results