shape
carat
color
clarity

A little underwhelmed with initial setting

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
So Amy sent me pics of my traps cut down and in a temp setting. I’m a little underwhelmed!! Maybe it’s juat the temp or maybe my traps just don’t look good. I’m having major doubts if I even like the small traps with my diamond and the pave. I’m having her quote me tomorrow for the 5 stone. I need to get this right as I waited so long to find my EC! Question for you all... bezel or no bezel with a 5 stone?
https://www.instagram.com/p/BVkjFrYnO_G/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=11kch77xo9i5w
With the baguette band
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhKmPBTHhdS/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=3i2h7g5a11yc
This to me is stunning!!

Love those smooth bezels.

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What about losing sparkle with bezel?? That scares me

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The bezel is only around the side stones. Definite bezel. I personally like VC’s version and will probably do this one for my asscher. The MB is also lovely.

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You don’t plan to bezel the center stone, right?
I think that the sidestones being bezeled provide a nice frame so that your center stone is the star of the show.
No bezel on the main EC. Great point! This is why I love this forum so much!! I just hope my emerald cut sparkles as much as the one in the video, it’s been so long since I’ve seen it and I only had it in my hands for a few days, ugh!

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
did David give you an idea of how wide your ring will be if it's a 5 stone? Will your fingers be pressing again the 4th and 5th stone since you have a size 4 finger with a large center? I love your new inspiration video but I vote no bezel since the point of having a step cut is having something that looks crisp and icy like clear river water. I'd be afraid of a bulky look but i'm sure David has the power to make it work if you're leaning towards a bezel

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@McGinnis we honestly just started re-configuring this design last night. I think the bullets will have to be fairly small and definitely tapered down the sides. The finger in the video is just as wide as mine is 8.04 mm, and the model’s hand is a size 4 so it’s a really good example of how my would look. Mine is just a little longer 10.46, video- 9.91. But if I do bezel... definitely more delicate!

Last edited:

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Blingalingaling trying to enjoy it! But I have to admit I do find it stressful as I really don’t want to make a mistake and I am somewhat of a perfectionist. Actually a really big perfectionist! LOL. In all honesty, the five Stone setting has been my favorite all along, but my husband talked me out of it, and we were really trying to reuse the trapezoids. I think starting fresh will be ultimately a better/different look for me. But now on to these damn proportions and bezel/no bezel! It never ends!!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You don’t plan to bezel the center stone, right?
I think that the sidestones being bezeled provide a nice frame so that your center stone is the star of the show.
This, exactly.

And if you want to help with the dainty-ness of the bezel you could always milgrain it.

Are you planning a plain shank now?

Eta: quick example of polished vs milgrain side by side to get a feel for how they present.

17D8242C-92B6-4FC9-A667-8F64DE0E9B5A.jpeg

Last edited:

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think at least part of the differences you are seeing between the MB ring and your own is proportional. Your traps are on a smaller scale compared to the inspiration rings, maybe larger side stones are the key here. I would also ask about the angle from the center stone, bother will impact your impression of the final setting.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I get a little worried about falling in love with pics/videos as I have a completely different center stone. One in video is an F, I have an I, mine is a 1:3 ratio, video 1:23. And her hands are much prettier than mine:lol: Don’t want to be disappointed if mine doesn’t look just like it!! That’s the danger of looking online.

Last edited:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bezel the traps & bullets. No bezel the EC. Millgrain the bezel. Claw or dbl claw prongs on EC. If basket, pave the basket around the EC.
If you millgrain the bezels, best to millgrain the shank for cohesiveness, after the bullets. I love the scroll or floral detail idea, too....but that’s up to you. DK has some kick ass floral detail skills!!! :love:

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Bezel the traps & bullets. No bezel the EC. Millgrain the bezel. Claw or dbl claw prongs on EC. If basket, pave the basket around the EC.
If you millgrain the bezels, best to millgrain the shank for cohesiveness, after the bullets. I love the scroll or floral detail idea, too....but that’s up to you. DK has some kick ass floral detail skills!!! :love:
You ok with less light return on bezel? Sorry... covering every base possible!!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If no bezel, definitely use the bar between the traps & bullets w/bead set diamonds along the bars for defined separation with added twinkle sparkle. You could probably put the same bars between your EC and your traps and bead set those bars as well.
Plain shank or engraved....that will be your final decision, with this design....

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
17E7D7EB-73A8-4138-AE64-2D9F52EBF503.jpeg 49981FC2-FACC-4111-B5AE-0EBB7AC87BE6.jpeg BA4D9BF0-2A74-4042-9E08-04F0051474EB.jpeg F9E448D4-AB61-49E3-90B7-DE554D953C47.jpeg 32F68F11-165E-4CE6-A853-3E5A6C440671.jpeg E844BD13-1E85-4DAD-8395-F9EB7F057D0D.jpeg
I’ve looked at the inspiration ring from MB again and I think it would be perfect for you. Personally I love the bezels for the sidestones and the ‘bar’ between the sidestones. However I would:
- ask David to make the bezels more delicate
- open up the sides of the sidestones to create a more airy look. It’s quite enclosed and boxy in the inspiration setting
- ask David to use similar sidestones and similar proportions (and set your old setting with a CS to reuse your own sidestones)

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
C770D25B-B239-4EB9-8DAB-A854FEDFC962.jpeg BF20DA4A-0A26-4E05-8E03-3BC2C45FDC9B.jpeg Agree with everything you just said @Acinom ! This ring is EXACTLY why I emailed David and changed my mind!! I love the idea of opening up the side stones... it was too bulky and bugging me. Do you think it will be ok with a longer ratio... 1:3 and give me this look? Mine stone is a little bigger... longer. Ratio and proportions are key!! Here is my stone again... lose

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
C770D25B-B239-4EB9-8DAB-A854FEDFC962.jpeg BF20DA4A-0A26-4E05-8E03-3BC2C45FDC9B.jpeg Agree with everything you just said @Acinom ! This ring is EXACTLY why I emailed David and changed my mind!! I love the idea of opening up the side stones... it was too bulky and bugging me. Do you think it will be ok with a longer ratio... 1:3 and give me this look? Mine stone is a little bigger... longer. Ratio and proportions are key!! Here is my stone again... lose
Think it will be stunning with your beautiful stone. But I hope the more experoenced PSers will chime in as they will have a sharper eye for exact proportions and reading and translating CAD’s. David and Amy will also know what sidestones to use for your particular stone.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would rock that rock as a solitaire for a while. Enjoy getting to know it. Then I’d reset it. When I was sure.

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Acinom thank you! Agree, proportions have to be spot on to achieve this look. Angling of the traps too... not much detail but picking the right stones. Yes... CAD experts please chime in!!!

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would rock that rock as a solitaire for a while. Enjoy getting to know it. Then I’d reset it. When I was sure.
Haha... I am loving the 5 stone! Just want perfect side stones and then I think I will be 100% satisfied!! Always loved 5 stone, talked down by my minimalist husband... lol!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium

And then reset it again next month :lol::whistle::saint:

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Acinom here is VCs version. I do not like his proportions as well but the bezel is thinner and the traps and bullet open. Thoughts? I like the clean bezel, not a huge fan of miligrain as of now.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results