shape
carat
color
clarity

A journey of a crazy Pearl newbie

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The akoya look great on you! What size are they?

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
The positive surprise was this super cheap “test” akoya necklace I bought off EBay, all the way from Japan. These pearls are nowhere near the photos I’ve seen in this subforum, but definitely more lustrous than anything else I bought. I think I’m starting to get this whole akoya thing!

That’s so pretty! Any idea the mm size?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope! These are the same Tahitians from CMW as in the couple of posts above. The colors are very weird: from ugly dull greys in direct sun to these magical rainbow like every now and then. Might be just Tahitians, perhaps?

That’s Tahitians for ya. They’re rainy day pearls.

South Sea pearls shine in sunlight IMO. Especially golds ❤️

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve just (finally!) received my cheapies from Wen and you know what, I’m now questioning my taste and everything I’ve read about pearls so far! Here are the same top quality (and not cheap…) Tahitians together with the cheapies from Wen. Sure, Tahitians are better but not 30+ times better? CC6C67B9-0329-47FB-AFF8-B768327081FA.jpeg

Very nonlinear, same as most other things, sadly for us - costs 20% of top-dollar to get to 80% of top-dollar-quality, and getting that last 20% quality improvement requires 80% of the cost :bigsmile:

Everyone’s preferences and tolerances are different. In this case the industry values green pearls more than silver, darker body more than lighter, fat drops more than skinny, minimal circling/blemishing, and higher contrast. If your priorities are different from trade ideals then you’re lucky and I say embrace it! :cool2:

bella3x

Rough_Rock
That’s Tahitians for ya. They’re rainy day pearls.

South Sea pearls shine in sunlight IMO. Especially golds ❤️

I didn’t get to South Sea pearls in my “tryouts”… Affordable white ones just don’t look impressive and yellow seem to almost always have a bit of a green tinge which my skin will hate :confused2:

bella3x

Rough_Rock
The last ones of the batch, rounding off my (way too) expensive journey into the pearl world. They literally just arrived and I’m a bit sick, so no energy to try them out. But they have a decent glow.

Bought from General Pearl Rakuten shop, 7.5-8 mm koshimono Akoya with a silver clasp. They were described as off white in color and rose pink (I used Google translate :mrgreen2:) in overtone. Teri of 90, according to them.
At ca. 800 USD including all expenses, not my worst buy! The earrings came out wrong (I tried ordering normal studs) but they were free anyway.

Attachments

• 1AF3FC3B-BC67-43E9-A851-DAFE7D8AA5EE.jpeg
    1AF3FC3B-BC67-43E9-A851-DAFE7D8AA5EE.jpeg
    166.9 KB · Views: 56

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
The last ones of the batch, rounding off my (way too) expensive journey into the pearl world. They literally just arrived and I’m a bit sick, so no energy to try them out. But they have a decent glow.

Bought from General Pearl Rakuten shop, 7.5-8 mm koshimono Akoya with a silver clasp. They were described as off white in color and rose pink (I used Google translate :mrgreen2:) in overtone. Teri of 90, according to them.
At ca. 800 USD including all expenses, not my worst buy! The earrings came out wrong (I tried ordering normal studs) but they were free anyway.

These look insanely good!! Can’t wait to see a modelling pic!

catintern

Rough_Rock
I never manage to take good pictures. But here’s also the comparison to the string I bought off EBay.

Edit: they really are very-very pink!
579E0C21-AF97-45EB-857D-5030334EF1B1.jpeg

they are so glowly! I love it congrats!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First in, a set of 8-9mm gem quality freshwater pearl necklace and studs from Pearls of Joy. I asked for a rose overtone, not sure if I got it?

My impression: Got really annoyed by a visibly potato shaped pearl in the middle and the fact that studs aren’t really matched in size. Decided to keep it because return would be a hassle (I’m not in the US). They glow though. And I love the size, despite all the guidelines I’ve read saying that I should have gone smaller.
454C60EB-3078-4F61-BF2F-2ACC905FF095.jpeg

Hi, what length is this necklace please?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never manage to take good pictures. But here’s also the comparison to the string I bought off EBay.

Edit: they really are very-very pink!
579E0C21-AF97-45EB-857D-5030334EF1B1.jpeg

Oh wait - no, this is what I want. Can you tell me is this an 18" strand? I love the look.

sevillaperla

Rough_Rock
The positive surprise was this super cheap “test” akoya necklace I bought off EBay, all the way from Japan. These pearls are nowhere near the photos I’ve seen in this subforum, but definitely more lustrous than anything else I bought. I think I’m starting to get this whole akoya thing!

Hi, I had fun reading through your journey! do you mind sharing where you got your test akoyas from? Thanks

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results