shape
carat
color
clarity

A journey of a crazy Pearl newbie

bella3x

Rough_Rock
TL;DR: Will be sharing my first encounter with “grown up” pearls.

This forum has been a treasure trove for me when it comes to understanding diamonds, but now I finally made my way towards pearls.

Last 7-10 days were spent reading about pearls, and Pricescope has come to my rescue yet again. So I thought I’d share my experience so far, as a way of giving back to the community :mrgreen2:

When I do something, I go almost all in (within reason and budget), so I’ve ordered the goodies from different vendors, different pearls in different price categories.

bella3x

Rough_Rock
First in, a set of 8-9mm gem quality freshwater pearl necklace and studs from Pearls of Joy. I asked for a rose overtone, not sure if I got it?

My impression: Got really annoyed by a visibly potato shaped pearl in the middle and the fact that studs aren’t really matched in size. Decided to keep it because return would be a hassle (I’m not in the US). They glow though. And I love the size, despite all the guidelines I’ve read saying that I should have gone smaller.
454C60EB-3078-4F61-BF2F-2ACC905FF095.jpeg

Attachments

• E56798A4-42AA-42E6-9D24-6647345B636D.jpeg
    E56798A4-42AA-42E6-9D24-6647345B636D.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 60

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The size is very nice on you, but I agree, they're visibly off round. If that is what POJ is now selling as gem-- if it wasn't a mistake-- then POJ is not the vendor it used to be.

Roundness isn't everything, though, and as long as you like them and will wear them, they can be worth keeping. But if the potato-ish shape irritates you, then send them back. The costliest pearls are the ones that sit in the drawer unworn.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
First in, a set of 8-9mm gem quality freshwater pearl necklace and studs from Pearls of Joy. I asked for a rose overtone, not sure if I got it?

My impression: Got really annoyed by a visibly potato shaped pearl in the middle and the fact that studs aren’t really matched in size. Decided to keep it because return would be a hassle (I’m not in the US). They glow though. And I love the size, despite all the guidelines I’ve read saying that I should have gone smaller.
454C60EB-3078-4F61-BF2F-2ACC905FF095.jpeg

this is an eccitting journey
thank you for letting us be part of it

i totally get how returns are a major pain if we do not live in the States

im not sure US people get how hard it can be ?
i recently read an article as a follow up to US people who moved here after '45' was elected
they were shocked by not having access to same day delivery :lol-2: (i did not know that was even a thing o_O ) and lack of Amazon prime among other seemingly impossible things in my corner of the world - right at the bottom :lol-2:

anyway back to pearls
if you are happy with value for money I'd keep them
with regular wear you will have to get them restrung sooner or latter and you can swap Mr Potato head out for a rounder one or move him to the back by the clasp
how annoying that that one is in the middle

can't wait to hear where you wear them out to
and what you get next

i gotta say im excitted by your OP talking about buying pearls of different price points

bella3x

Rough_Rock
The size is very nice on you, but I agree, they're visibly off round. If that is what POJ is now selling as gem-- if it wasn't a mistake-- then POJ is not the vendor it used to be.

Roundness isn't everything, though, and as long as you like them and will wear them, they can be worth keeping. But if the potato-ish shape irritates you, then send them back. The costliest pearls are the ones that sit in the drawer unworn.

I’ve been wearing them every day for 3 days now and they’ve grown on me. Considering how hard I am on my jewelry and that they look round enough when I’m not staring, I think that wasn’t the worst first buy.

bella3x

Rough_Rock
this is an eccitting journey
thank you for letting us be part of it

i totally get how returns are a major pain if we do not live in the States

im not sure US people get how hard it can be ?
i recently read an article as a follow up to US people who moved here after '45' was elected
they were shocked by not having access to same day delivery :lol-2: (i did not know that was even a thing o_O ) and lack of Amazon prime among other seemingly impossible things in my corner of the world - right at the bottom :lol-2:

anyway back to pearls
if you are happy with value for money I'd keep them
with regular wear you will have to get them restrung sooner or latter and you can swap Mr Potato head out for a rounder one or move him to the back by the clasp
how annoying that that one is in the middle

can't wait to hear where you wear them out to
and what you get next

i gotta say im excitted by your OP talking about buying pearls of different price points

I haven’t even thought about the restringing, that is such a great idea!! So far I’ve been wearing them with the clasp off center :D
And yes, folks in the US have no idea how blessed they are when it comes to bling!
One big positive point though: seems like PoJ cover most of the import taxes since the bill I got was significantly lower than I budgeted for. So the total price ended at Pearl Paradise AA+ pearls level for the similar size. Quite happy about that!

bella3x

Rough_Rock
Second batch has arrived today!

This time, it’s Tahitian pearls from CMW, graded by them as top quality. A bracelet and a pair of earring grade pearls. I’ll have to learn stringing but why not =)2

My impression: I was prepared that the pearls won’t be anywhere near as colorful as the vendor’s photos, so that helped - would have been somewhat underwhelming otherwise. But really-really beautiful nevertheless! I keep staring at my own reflection in them, since the luster is so sharp. And fantastic customer service via chat + super quick delivery. I’ll be coming back for more :lol-2:

(Attaching vendor photos vs the closest I was able to get it to IRL looks.)

How does one remove glue residue from pearls without ruining them?

Attachments

• E04EA292-8158-4B1B-9D16-C76763E730F3.jpeg
    E04EA292-8158-4B1B-9D16-C76763E730F3.jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 0670C6C8-1FBA-4964-A631-E9ED39CE2071.jpeg
    0670C6C8-1FBA-4964-A631-E9ED39CE2071.jpeg
    14.9 KB · Views: 50
  • EC316080-8ED2-46E5-9CA3-E80C585DE856.jpeg
    EC316080-8ED2-46E5-9CA3-E80C585DE856.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can remove glue safely by wiping with a swab dipped in acetone. When glue is gone, wipe with a damp cloth to remove acetone residue.

I have restrung many of my necklaces to get the arrangement the way I like it! It's easy with synthetic thread; with doubled thread the knots slide into place easily when you pull the threads apart. Also, synthetic thread doesn't stretch and can be gotten wet. I like to string on Serafil; a good source for thread, flexible needles and gimp is PatriciaSaabDesigns on Etsy. If ordering from Australia is more convenient, I recommend ordering Beaders Secret thread from the Etsy shop of that name or the website of that name.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’ve been wearing them every day for 3 days now and they’ve grown on me. Considering how hard I am on my jewelry and that they look round enough when I’m not staring, I think that wasn’t the worst first buy.

:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

bella3x

Rough_Rock
You can remove glue safely by wiping with a swab dipped in acetone. When glue is gone, wipe with a damp cloth to remove acetone residue.

I have restrung many of my necklaces to get the arrangement the way I like it! It's easy with synthetic thread; with doubled thread the knots slide into place easily when you pull the threads apart. Also, synthetic thread doesn't stretch and can be gotten wet. I like to string on Serafil; a good source for thread, flexible needles and gimp is PatriciaSaabDesigns on Etsy. If ordering from Australia is more convenient, I recommend ordering Beaders Secret thread from the Etsy shop of that name or the website of that name.
Thank you for good advice! I have a ton of items from this Etsy store in my basket but am waiting for the rest of the pearls to arrive because postage costs + import taxes (I’m in Europe) are just not worth it if I don’t do 1 big order.
But the delivery is sooooo slow o_O

So I’m entertaining myself with these so far (and wearing the necklace from PoJ). FAF2B88C-2259-44F7-BA0E-E8B6D9A9CC8F.jpeg

bella3x

Rough_Rock
In the meanwhile, I kind of want something smaller and more casual - this 8-9mm necklace feels a bit much for daily wear.

Is it worth buying a 7.5-8mm pre-certified Hanadama necklace (sight unseen) or would I be better off with a strand of Freshadamas from PP?

The only Akoyas I have are not very impressive - I bought this bracelet for its overall design and not pearls, a long time ago. But they still seem more mirror-y than the freshwater necklace I now have. E0FC39B3-0769-4C25-8851-E76ED592EDC4.jpeg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A Hanadama necklace, more casual?? I'd say quite the opposite, even with the smaller size.

In my experience the akoyas I bought (at a consignment shop!) have sharper luster than even my Freshadamas.
Even sharper than my metallic white FWP from PP.

If it's luster you want, go with akoyas. But don't expect them to look more casual.
If it's casual you want...why not a baroque FW strand? Of whatever color(s).

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you for good advice! I have a ton of items from this Etsy store in my basket but am waiting for the rest of the pearls to arrive because postage costs + import taxes (I’m in Europe) are just not worth it if I don’t do 1 big order.
But the delivery is sooooo slow o_O

So I’m entertaining myself with these so far (and wearing the necklace from PoJ). FAF2B88C-2259-44F7-BA0E-E8B6D9A9CC8F.jpeg

those are gorgouse !!!!
are they from pearls of joy ?

bella3x

Rough_Rock
A Hanadama necklace, more casual?? I'd say quite the opposite, even with the smaller size.

In my experience the akoyas I bought (at a consignment shop!) have sharper luster than even my Freshadamas.
Even sharper than my metallic white FWP from PP.

If it's luster you want, go with akoyas. But don't expect them to look more casual.
If it's casual you want...why not a baroque FW strand? Of whatever color(s).

Hahaha, I guess I should express myself more precisely :D
If it were socially acceptable, I would wear diamonds and Chanel bags for grocery shopping, because I like pretty things and hate them sitting in the closet. So I want something that would be less “in your face” than this 8-9mm necklace (hence, smaller size) but still pretty! And suitable both for t-shirts and jeans and office wear.

Hmmm, l’ll try and look at baroques then perhaps. I’ve inquired with PP about their metallics, but they only had them in AA+, so not yet on these…

bella3x

Rough_Rock
those are gorgouse !!!!
are they from pearls of joy ?
Nope! These are the same Tahitians from CMW as in the couple of posts above. The colors are very weird: from ugly dull greys in direct sun to these magical rainbow like every now and then. Might be just Tahitians, perhaps?

bella3x

Rough_Rock
And here’s a new arrival: a dainty necklace from Cathrine Cardellini. Very summery, was looking forward to getting them while it’s warm and sunny. Maybe this will be my casual strand! (The earring enhancers are from Etsy and despite the price of 10 USD incl. taxes and delivery, they are just what I needed and the packaging was top notch!)
B5519C16-1D73-4BBE-8D3D-AE31F60AFEEB.jpeg

Attachments

• 7A7837E0-45DC-428C-BBDE-1B1603EA1251.jpeg
    7A7837E0-45DC-428C-BBDE-1B1603EA1251.jpeg
    71.4 KB · Views: 20

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope! These are the same Tahitians from CMW as in the couple of posts above. The colors are very weird: from ugly dull greys in direct sun to these magical rainbow like every now and then. Might be just Tahitians, perhaps?

they look stunning on my phone

(i kind of wish i hadn't seen them right as i admiring my ultra cheapies from Wen)

bella3x

Rough_Rock
they look stunning on my phone

(i kind of wish i hadn't seen them right as i admiring my ultra cheapies from Wen)

I’ve just (finally!) received my cheapies from Wen and you know what, I’m now questioning my taste and everything I’ve read about pearls so far! Here are the same top quality (and not cheap…) Tahitians together with the cheapies from Wen. Sure, Tahitians are better but not 30+ times better? CC6C67B9-0329-47FB-AFF8-B768327081FA.jpeg

bella3x

Rough_Rock
And these white drops that cost me 20 USD + a portion of shipping are probably my most favorite yet out of the bunch. To be fair, I ordered 2 strands and the other one is meh, so total price is more like 40 USD but still! B698B705-D50A-428E-B9A7-0B7EC2131FA5.jpeg

bella3x

Rough_Rock
The purple ones were the most expensive ones from Wen. Many more blemishes than expected, so I’ll stick to cheap ones from her going forward. But they seem rounder to my eye than the ones from Pearls of Joy and more lustrous. (They don’t look potato-y or brownish like on the photo but I can’t do better yet.) 59BE27B8-F84A-4CD1-9516-A8C130D4F204.jpeg

Attachments

• CC805615-3537-4F7C-BD17-23FB0DC06DF0.jpeg
    CC805615-3537-4F7C-BD17-23FB0DC06DF0.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 7

bella3x

Rough_Rock
Can anyone tell me why cheapies are so much whiter and more lustrous? I’m really confused right now.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
White pearls are bleached. More bleaching is not necessarily better and can damage the nacre.
FW pearls are subjected to luster treatments to sharpen the luster. The increase in luster may not be permanent.

That being said, the white drops are really pretty! And if you didn't pay a lot for them, all the better! I have gotten away from buying fwp personally as I think my white FWP are not as good looking as they once were. Maybe the pearls have changed or maybe my perception has.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’ve just (finally!) received my cheapies from Wen and you know what, I’m now questioning my taste and everything I’ve read about pearls so far! Here are the same top quality (and not cheap…) Tahitians together with the cheapies from Wen. Sure, Tahitians are better but not 30+ times better? CC6C67B9-0329-47FB-AFF8-B768327081FA.jpeg

(my somewhat embarssing and humorous candy bright dyed freshies aside)
i think we can have some good value from the cheaper ones
excellent for trying out shapes and styles, fun and completly harmless to wear
they are certainly no worse than what the major mall jewlers stock here but an awful lot less money

i am waiting on some Wen white potatoes to arrive, i know i should have ordered two strands to pick the best ones out of, but her shipping costs are so economical

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
And these white drops that cost me 20 USD + a portion of shipping are probably my most favorite yet out of the bunch. To be fair, I ordered 2 strands and the other one is meh, so total price is more like 40 USD but still! B698B705-D50A-428E-B9A7-0B7EC2131FA5.jpeg

so where are we going for lunch ?

bella3x

Rough_Rock
White pearls are bleached. More bleaching is not necessarily better and can damage the nacre.
FW pearls are subjected to luster treatments to sharpen the luster. The increase in luster may not be permanent.

That being said, the white drops are really pretty! And if you didn't pay a lot for them, all the better! I have gotten away from buying fwp personally as I think my white FWP are not as good looking as they once were. Maybe the pearls have changed or maybe my perception has.

That makes so much sense! Thank you :D I don’t expect a long lifetime out of the white drops, they probably will be my “wear on the beach” pearls :)

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
And here’s a new arrival: a dainty necklace from Cathrine Cardellini. Very summery, was looking forward to getting them while it’s warm and sunny. Maybe this will be my casual strand! (The earring enhancers are from Etsy and despite the price of 10 USD incl. taxes and delivery, they are just what I needed and the packaging was top notch!)
B5519C16-1D73-4BBE-8D3D-AE31F60AFEEB.jpeg
Oh I love this!!

And where can I get the enhancers?

bella3x

Rough_Rock
Online shopping is not without its issues… I ordered a strand of Edisons from LiPearls on Etsy. After a looooong time with no shipping updates, I sent a message and received an answer that “the baggage got lost”(?) and she’ll refund my money. So far no refund and no answer to my question as to when to expect the refund. I hate PayPal cases and all that they entail, so am still waiting :(

bella3x

Rough_Rock
The positive surprise was this super cheap “test” akoya necklace I bought off EBay, all the way from Japan. These pearls are nowhere near the photos I’ve seen in this subforum, but definitely more lustrous than anything else I bought. I think I’m starting to get this whole akoya thing!

Attachments

• 29800197-45FE-4CAC-8000-3AA56AEC4D6C.jpeg
    29800197-45FE-4CAC-8000-3AA56AEC4D6C.jpeg
    229 KB · Views: 36
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results