shape
carat
color
clarity

A. Jaffe Thin Pave/Prong Engagement Set

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Mara, how do you feel now about your set vs. this A. Jaffe set? I think the stones all the way around would be much better than this...no concerns about the "spin" factor. Although the price for this is very good.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Patty I love my set but sometimes I think I could have gotten a similar look for less $$ and had more $$ for the stone. Also the AJ set is thinner band which I always wanted but did not get with my rings. My rings still spin even with eternity...the e-ring obviously catches itself with the diamond, but I still do get some turning from time to time. It doesn't really bother me though honestly.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Mara, I was just wondering.

I have had both my 3-stone and the 12-stone band sized smaller and that has helped me with the spin factor.

I wonder how much the Euro-shank helps the AJ rings not spin?

rms

Brilliant_Rock
Folks,
I must tell you that I have enjoyed reading this site and getting people's impressions of the various ring styles. I finally created an account so that I could reply and tell you that I have spent a lot of time comparing this Jaffe set to Michael B , to a sample from a jeweler who is a friend of the family, and also to a private line of another jeweler. I have also asked other jewelers about custom making a ring like these, like Mara did. I just got the Jaffe rings sent to me to see them in person and I think the pictures do not do it justice at all. The Jaffe rings are lovely!! Mind you, I think the Michael B ring is absolutely spectacular and if money was no object, I would go with it without thinking twice. I still have time to decide though, so you never know what will end up happening. All the best to you.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to the board, Rita!

No one has posted pictures of the Michael B setting, have they? I'd love to see it just to compare if anyone has a picture of it.

rms

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry for not being more specific. It is the Michael B princess ring that I was referring to. I have seen it mentioned on this website multiple times, and I do see a picture on this site:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/le-ring.15058/

there are other places it is mentioned and discussed on this site with other pircures too, but I can't seem to find them at this moment.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Rita. Yes, that setting is stunning! Is the Michael B eternity style (the diamonds go all the way around)? And I guess from what I'm reading that Michael B is more expensive than A Jaffe, right?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Michael B is what inspired us with our ring..I adored the MB but it was something like .50ctw of diamonds for $2400! The price was ridiculous we thought. Plus the wedding ring, matching, with .43ctw or similar was something like $2000! So we had ours custom and saved some $$ and also got more ctw in the e-ring.
2.gif
But I adore the MB still. It's eternity style and pave, not prong set.

The AJ is shared prong so it's slightly more secure than the MB would be for everyday wear..and is cheaper..but not eternity. Something like .26ctw so partially around for $1100 or o in platinum. It has 2 matching wedding rings as seen, for something like $1000 each. So in the end you could have 3 rings for LESS than the MB set!

Decisions decisions!
1.gif

rms

Brilliant_Rock
I have seen those prices you mention and have also seen higher prices for both the AJ and Michael B. In the end for me I think it is definitely going to be a decision based on price, thoughts on how hard I might be on the rings (and therefore eternity stlye vs. not), and customer service.

What do you folks know about resizing rings with square shanks like the AJ ring? I have read all about people's opinions on ability to resize eternity bands, so no worries about that.

Also, I found another similar ring design or 2 by Precision Set that is intriguing to me, but I haven't seen those in person yet. Someone is trying to get me some samples of those. Any knowledge out there from anyone?

TLS

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

I am bumping this old thread to see if I anyone has any more info on this setting. I was just at my jewelers looking at what appears to be this identical A. Jaffe setting that Mara was looking at. I really loved it because it was 2.2 MM - very thin.... but the price listed was insane.... i think there was a mistake.

she quoted me 2,500 for the white gold engagement ring, but then the more we looked the more confusing it became because the matching band was only 1,000 in WG. That made no sense, I can see a little more to account for a platinum head etc. but not 1,500 dollars more.... I am thinking that the engagement ring in platinum might be 2,500 and that is where the confusion lies... she seemed confused by the price too and said she would check into it. i can't see any possible way this ring with this few diamonds in white gold could be 2,500 - anyone have any idea? 2500 for platinum even sounded absolutely extreme to me, but with the prices I have seen for platinum and the premium for it being A. jaffe makes a little more sense.

I really liked this ring, even liked the square bottom, i thought that was kind of cool... but no way for that price. The only thing was that I think I like the look of cathedral heads better... but i love how this sits nice and flush with the band and that you can add to your collection with various thin bands . I saw an eternity band with tiny pink sapphires today and fell in love - it was very yummy.

If anyone has any information on this setting (including Jewelers out there) I would appreciate it. thanks!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, it's not $2500 at my jeweler in Aptos!

I think I put pricing in the front of the email but at the time it was only something like $800 for the e-ring and then another $1000 for each wedding ring in white gold.

Insane for $2500 even in platinum. I *think* I heard that in platinum it was more like $1500 but don't quote me on it!

Our jeweler in Aptos/Seaside is Garrett Jewelers...don't have their number handy but www.smartpages.com would have it. Mention Mara & PScope if you call! I hear it sometimes gets you a discount! hehehe.

Edited to add: here is Jeff's #: Jeff Garrett; (831) 662-0905

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock
www.solombrothers.com sells A Jaffe and has prices listed, so I''d check there. The prices could be for platinum only though, but worth checking. I love that setting too. Someone on SMTR got it with a pear center if you want to look it up for real life pics - it looked really good!

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
no chance the e-ring price that was quoted included some sort of center stone? I know $1500 is not a lot for a stone.. but $2500 is way way way too much for that type of setting.. definitely.
My Jaffe setting was less than that and it is a 3 stone with two .30 diamonds!

TLS

Shiny_Rock
Mara are you sure the prices you were quoted for that setting were for platinum? doesn''t that sound suspiciously low? I am wondering if that was for WG instead?

Thanks for sending me the jewelers phone number I will give him a call, I don''t suppose you know if they have a website do they?

thanks again.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
No the $800 was for white gold. I think he said the platinum was something like $1500?

Jeff can tell you if you call ... sorry for the confusion.

He defintely doesn''t have a website, he''s very old school jeweler with high-end clientele in a city by the ocean in Northern California. He silently scoffs at my newfangled internet stuff, but he and his wife do have some amazingly beautiful pieces in their small store and they are very personable! My girlfriend''s family shops with him all year long, I''m so jealous.
1.gif

TLS

Shiny_Rock
thanks Mara, I think I just misread your other post - thanks for clarifying. I will give Jeff a call. If I wanted to buy the setting from him i assume he would set my ring for me, but i am nervous about sending my stone out to CA (I am in MA).

Would a jewelry store in my area have an attitude if brought in a diamond and setting that I did not purchase from them but wanted them to set?

Also, I have been waiting to get insurance once the ring is set, but I am wondering if they wouldn''t even insure my ring for when it was in their hands getting set (in case they chipped it during setting, I know that is pretty unusual but just wondering).

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I, of course, would trust Jeff with my stone...he had it for THREE WEEKS in his safe in his office while we waited for the custom setting to be made.
2.gif
Also. you can send it registered and insured and track it the whole way. I did this when I sent my diamond over to WF. One thought.

In terms of buying the setting & having it set, who did you buy your diamond from? I would always prefer to have them set the diamond if they do that type of work, because they may be more willing to be liable if something happens since you bought the diamond from them. Some jewelers may have a problem with setting another diamond into another setting, and also I don''t know how secure I would feel if someone did agree to do it. I would prefer to have someone who maybe had more of a hand in the whole thing involved, if that makes sense. You could have Jeff ship the setting to the diamond vendor , if they still have your stone? Or if you bought it locally, to your jeweler and see if they can set it.

In terms of insurance, most companies won''t insure a loose stone about to be set from what I can recall, but maybe there are a few ?

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
THIS is that ring.. is it NOT?

yeah.. $800.. your jeweler is very very confused (or scamming you!) if he is trying to charge $2500 for that setting

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
My bf and I looked at that setting at Dejaun Jewelers (maul store) in Hollywood and we were quoted $900.00 for it in platinum. Looking at what everyone else wrote, I''m thinking that he may have misquoted us the white gold price. They have a website, but it is not very extensive... www.dejaun.com

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I just thought I would show you guys another alternative if you like this look. This set is from signedpieces.com. I'm having them make the engagment ring portion of the set in platinum. The total carat weight will be about 1.14 and the total price is only $1,625. I think it's quite a bargain given the quality of the diamonds they use. I'm hoping it will look somewhat similar to the Michael B. princess ring.

facets wedding set 2.jpg

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Here''s another view of them all together.

facets wedding set.jpg

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
I''m so glad you posted that set. I''ve been looking at it too and just love it. I emailed them during the holidays for a quote, but haven''t heard back yet. Thanks for posting the price range.

rms

Brilliant_Rock
TL1, I just bought this 3 ring set and received it last week. I absolutely love it because it is so thin and versatile! You can wear 1, 2, or all 3 rings. LOVE IT LOVE IT!! Can''t send pics because I can''t seem to get my camera to work and take a pic that is in focus. Ho hum.
5.gif

If Dejaun Jewelers that Kaili mentioned really means to sell the e-ring in platinum for $900, I would jump on that in a heartbeat. I definitely would want to hear if they misspoke and meant white gold for that price.

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/ has an good price for these rings in platinum which is indeed accurate. Look at page 3 of the Jaffe rings, bottom row, second from the right. While I did not end up buying from them, I spoke with them at length and I would highly recommend them. There has been some good press lately on Bill Pearlman here on PS.

Be aware that they do sell this set with 2 different qualities of diamonds, so you might ask that when you get quoted a price. I am pretty sure that Pearlman''s prices on their website are for the higher quality.

Good luck!!

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
Demelza,
Is the entire set you are getting in platinum?

rms

Brilliant_Rock
Demelza,
I LOVE that set that you posted. GORGEOUS!! The same overall look but eternity style instead of half way like my Jaffe set. Are the stones 0.02 or 0.03c each? I had never seen that set.

PrecisionSet also has a very similar set, but I never got to see it in person.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
RMS, I''d love to see photos of your AJ set!

That SP set is beautiful! If the tcw is 1.14 then those stones must be about .04 each if not .05''s since my eternity ring has 24 .03c stones for a size 6 finger so it''s only .72ctw. That is an EXCELLENT price for that much ctw for eternity in platinum!!

How thick are the SP rings each? I know the AJ rings are super thin...with .04 or .05c stones that SP set must have some width to it...maybe 2.5 or 3mm each ring?

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I''m getting the entire set in platinum, but I''m not getting all three rings. I already have the matching wedding band and I''m waiting for the matching engagement ring to arrive sometime this month (so hard to wait!!). Three rings would be too much for me as I don''t have very long fingers.

The rings shown have approx. .78 cttw in each band. They are, I believe, 2mm wide. My rings will be 2.4 mm each. My diamond is 7.4 mm, so I thought a slightly thicker band would look better. The stone in the picture is an 80 pointer.

Signedpieces is a great company. I was very happy with the quality of my wedding band. The diamonds are very sparkly, white, and clean.

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the info!
I can''t wait to see a hand shot!

TLS

Shiny_Rock
demelza i thought i was going to faint when i saw those pictures, i am overwhelmed... those are gorgeous, but i am so confused i found what appears to be the same ones and the price is over 8 grand...

can you clarify it shows as 8763 dollars?

http://www.thefacetscollection.com/item.cfm?item_id=915

TLS

Shiny_Rock
RMS thanks for the email about Bill Pearlman I actually traded a few emails with him today and even emailed my jeweler the link to his site so she could see their price!!

Hopefully my local jeweler will be able to come up with something close to the same price because i really want to get this set locally and therefore want to buy the setting from a local jeweler if possible.

seems like everyones profit margins are so different. Jeesh, i think the jeweler deserves to make a fair profit and i certainly would like to give my business to a local jeweler and would even be willing to pay a little more for the service and for being able to build a relationship with a local jeweler, but some of these people just cannot be competitive. I don''t know how they are going to survive in a competitive market when people have access to information on the internet across the country and world. Of course I guess the average consumer hasn''t done much research when they walk in , but i would think people would be getting a little more price savvy with the internet.

I don''t mind paying a bit extra for the convenience of a local jeweler, but I am not going to pay a lot more , that just doesn''t make a lot of sense to me.

I would hope she offers a fair deal so that I could work with her, she left me a message saying she had prices for me so I will need to call her to see...

About your blurry pictures, did you try macro mode? I am pretty tech impaired but i just recently learned about the macro mode and that fixed my blurry picture problem, but I havent posted any more of those pictures on here because I want to get it in a setting first.

I wish the A.Jaffe had a few more diamonds, i really like a lot of these little diamonds.....

it is gorgeous and nice and thin.... does anyone think 2.2 is too thin? I think i like the thinner bands. My diamond is around 7.2 MM.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results