shape
carat
color
clarity

A. Jaffe Thin Pave/Prong Engagement Set

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
When we were at our jewelers last weekend, I noticed they had a new A. Jaffe line in the store. This particular one (see below) caught my eye because it looks just like mine, but slightly thinner band and it's not eternity style.

I tried it on and compared my overall 'look' to this one, very similar! The A. Jaffe band is noticeably thinner (2mm maybe?) and the small stones are a 'modified prong' that looks very similar to pave, smaller and tighter set than my ring. Also, only partially around, but the price is great! I was really surprised to see that the engagement ring was only $775 (retail price). Wed ring was something around the same $, and as you will see in the pic, you can pair two wed rings with the e-ring etc.

So for those interested in something similar to my ring or that type of style (looks very similar to Michael B also) but for more of a reasonable budget price, I would highly consider the new A. Jaffe set. Seems that they are getting more romantic and finer than their last pieces ...the newer ones seem smaller and more detailed. In the past I found their items very bulky when on the hand, not so with this set. We had a hard time finding anything like this last year when we made ours. I love my setting very much, but if this had been available a year ago, I think I would have opted for a bigger stone and this particular setting. Oh well.
1.gif
Timing is everything!

Edited to modify the link...it has since changed on the AJ site:

http://ajaffe.com/cgi-bin/display/popup.cgi?id=133

ajaffe pave.jpg

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
hmm, the price is really reasonable if its in platinum and i like the squared off bottom part of the ring (better with bigger knuckles?) another setting for me to consider...
5.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Mara,

Very Neat Rings....

Things that stand out to me seeing the pictures are:

The 2 rings definitely have a sleek look with sort of a raised dome (or the thickness from top to bottom) & the diamond looks like it is mounted a little high....

Definitely would make a diamond stand out more because of the thiness of the band and the style of head...

Looks like they would sit nice and flush against each other too...
wacko.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes Josh, I tried them on
9.gif
and it appears they would sit flush due to the high head--the A.Jaffe tag was in the way but I got them as flush as possible. My stone has a similar higher head, so I was not unfamiliar with the look that it creates. My stone is slightly larger, band slightly thicker, the AJ had a 1c stone in it, slightly thinner band, it was funny because it was almost like a mini recreation of my entire ring--stone and all. Very nice.
2.gif

Also I believe these were plat because I commented on the cost and my jeweler agreed he thought that they were priced very low--and my MOH's sister-in-law has an AJ set and loves the flattened bottom (I didn't think of it one way or another when I was trying them on. One thing I did notice was that compared to my monster of a platinum ring, these were lightweight, but with .20c of melee, that sounds about right.
2.gif

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
mara, is this the same ring? is this a slightly inflated price?

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Wow Mara, I really like that ring, I wanted an eternity/anniversary band rather like that...

win

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yah tomatoe, looks about the same, with inflated price. I have emailed SB in the past and I think they were the ones who offered me a discount on a MB set, so chances are that price is negotiable.

win...yes it's very purty.
1.gif
The bands are thin enough to all be worn together too which I really liked. Ahh the cost for all 3 is just $200 over what we paid for just my e-ring. Timing is definitely everything!
1.gif
As Greg says, did you want to wait a year for your ring? Helllllll NO!

Beansy

Shiny_Rock
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, drool, OHHHHHHHHHHHH, wipe.

WOW! Mara, these are perrrrrfect. I've had my eye on the scott kay setting posted earlier on the forum (the one with the pave half way down, and two smaller side circle stones flanking the center,) but at a cost of $1700 for just the E-ring! This is soooo much more do-able, and would look fantastic with a center asscher/square emerald that I'm hunting for. I love the euro shank, and the platnium too. I don't think the setting should detract from an asscher, but set it off instead, and I think, Mara, that this would look better than the scott kay. I have bigger knuckles, so I like the petite look. Boy, girl, did you nail it with this one. Who do I call?

I'll check out the website, too.

Thanks

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beansy...yes I actually think this setting would look great with an Asscher!! I adore small pave with Asscher settings, have seen a few pix and think that the smaller stones really compliment the center. Plus I too love the thin shank. I was trying to get the fiance to let me trade in my custom setting for this entire set (3 rings for cost of one custom!) but of course he said No! /idealbb/images/smilies/2.gif

We saw this set at our jeweler's in Aptos, Garrett Jewelers...the owner is Jeff Garrett; (831) 662-0905 . Or you can check it out at SolomonBrothers.com but I think that tomatoe noted it seems pricier. I'd call Jeff and confirm the pricing I noted is for platinum, and if so--it beats SB hands down.

2.gif
Good luck!!

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Mara,
Thats a pretty set. :) I've always liked AJaffe jewelery but somehow fell in love with my Scott Kay. Ok, I **really** fell in love with a Veragio but holy moly, more overpriced than SK! AJaffe seems to be a good company that gives value to their product. My FSIL ring looked great & the prongs werent thick at all. If the band fits, would you consider it or are you getting it custom made? Sorry if you answered this, I'm just scanning.
I would suggest if anyone wants AJaffe to check their local jewelery stores. I know that Ben Garelick in Buffalo, was about $400 CHEAPER than Solomon Brothers. That savings will help pay for the band!

Judy
:)

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
Mara, Bless you for posting this, that does sound like a bargain. It's been a while since I've been on the forum, I have been super busy-woo, nice to be back (at least for a little while).

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Judy--I am considering the wedding bands on this set....but I don't know that I'd love the look with my e-ring eternity band. The two bands together are something like $1600, cheaper than one custom wedding right. Argh...if only!
1.gif
I don't know what we're doing now, somewhat confused....am also considering making a thinner custom ring for a slightly different look using ACA's...Greg likes the look of my e-ring better than the AJ set and wants us to continue to get the custom made ring to match.

That set in person is beautiful and is a great deal for someone who likes the look of the pave but wants more security AND not to spend alot. How great would a 1.75c stone look on that e-ring! AH!
eek.gif

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Mara,
I say go for the custom band.
appl.gif
Its a bit more of a pain than just ordering something, as you know from getting your e-ring made, but in the end, its a unique piece that was made for you & only you.
1.gif

Judy
:)

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
Mara,

How did this look with a 1 carat stone? Would two bands be too much? You probably saw my note on the other page about my band, so if I have to reset, how would this look?

Thanks!

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
mara,

beautiful set!! How do yoiu pronounce this brand? And do you remember the total carat weight for the e-ring band? Also, can you please comment on whether the little diamonds sparkle??

21.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's Jah-fee (Jaffe)
1.gif

The 1c looked really good with the settings, probably because they were so thin. I think that the 3 rings would look pretty good, depending on the size stone you have. One thing I noticed while trying rings on to see what goes with my e-ring is that you should always have the large stone overlapping the metal of the other rings, hanging over if you will. So nothing too thick or else it tends to make your center stone look small. Now Leota with a 3c you probably won't have this problem, but for people with 1c or 1.5c or similar ....they would need to ensure they didn't put too much metal next to their e-ring so that the center stone doesn't look smaller with the other bands.

I think this set had something like .20ctw in each band. They were definitely sparkly.

Sxn I would try some stuff on in person and see what you think. This was the best thing for me...I had all sorts of 'speculations' but nothing beats trying things on in person and really seeing what floats your boat.
2.gif

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
Jah-fee .. got it!
2.gif
I actually called one of the stores here today just to ask. haha..

Well.. I like the band .. but not for the 3c. I was thinking this can be something for myself when my boyfriend buys me maybe a .8 or 1c??? But I know I'll never find the setting I want in a short time, so I've already started looking for the future stone. These things take time!!
3.gif

But I have seen rings with very similar designs .28 shared prong setting for about $1800. So I think you mentioned about $750 or so which I think is a VERY good deal if it's pretty sparkly. And with my 3.25-3.50 finger, the thin size band would be very puuurty.
9.gif

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
This is a Jeff Cooper. This is the one that I've always liked,... what do you guys think... Do you think it's very similar to the one Mara posted? This one is $1675- not including tax... .28 total cw.

I mean, if you guys think it is definitely similar... then I think I should go with the A. Jaffe... so I can save some $$$.. or actually my bf can save some $$,

ilikeering.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 12/27/2003 Leota wrote:

Well.. I like the band .. but not for the 3c.
----------------

Why?

These settings are very similar top-down, but both will add quite a bit of height to the stone and this will make it vacillate quite a bit on your finger. If this was your concern to start with, than well, it remains whichever setting you choose. The Jaffe one could be more stable because of the flat bottom (despite thinness and height).

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Leota probably doesn't want the ring for the 3c because I believe they already gave it to their Mom
2.gif

L...I think that the AJ band would work excellently with smaller stones, particularly because it is so thin...it should really compliment a stone such as .80 or 1c as you mention. Also the one you like is really pretty but I think it's a thicker band meaning it will not maximize the center stone *as much* as the AJ setting will. Go into a store that carries AJ and try the rings on. Trying some things on will really show you what you love vs. only like.

Also my two cents on the $1700 for .28ctw setting...NO WAY. That is a ridiculous amount for such small ctw and pre-made. We spent $2k on ours and we got .72ctw and it was hand-made custom for me. I know the 'brand name' can add a markup, but I wouldn't pay that much.

You can get a .70c H SI or similar very well cut stone for around $2100 or so...why spend almost the same amount on a setting? I am not sure what your budget is, but if it's somewhere around $4k for everything...then why not maximize the stone (e.g. 1c H SI for around $3500) and then spend a smaller amount on the setting? The setting can always be changed out later as well as upgrading the stone. I will also note to you as I think you already have seen, that it's very easy to become enamored of many settings, so putting alot of money into one is something that I would think very closely on. I love the AJ settings and I like that they are so reasonable! We paid $2k for something similar but eternity style -- we could have gotten the entire AJ set of 3 rings for that same price. They weren't out when we had our ring made...but now I look at the price and shake my head! There will always be beautiful settings...so maybe that is what you change out in a year or two when you get engaged.

2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 12/27/2003 2:51:47 AM Mara wrote: Leota probably doesn't want the ring for the 3c because I believe they already gave it to their Mom ----------------

Oups! Not that I could possibly miss that thread... true enough. And, yes, I surely do agree on the rest with you Mara
1.gif

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
I think you're absolutely right, Mara. About the settings.. and there's so many out there. Yes, the one I was looking at, that was my #1 before you posted the pic of the AJ.
rodent.gif
haha.. So now, I "do" wanna go into one of the stores that does carry that line and see it on my finger. I think you're very right about not spending too much on the setting and all. And the AJ is an excellent price! I mean, stone, let's say $3500 and $2000 on a setting, that just doesn't sound right. Or maybe I should just take $3500 + 2000 and buy a $5500 stone?
9.gif
haha.. okay, starting to get carried away again.. ~~ But either way, I want to wait a little bit till I get my ring. And in the meantime, I can look, try on .... change my mind... as much as I want.
2.gif

But that is really good advice, Mara..

Thanks~~
1.gif

ScubaDucky

Rough_Rock
I just got off the phone with a local jewelry store that carries A.Jaffe rings and he said the cost of the engagement setting alone was $1,778!
eek.gif
eek.gif

Mara,
Do you think your jeweler would consider selling to us & shipping it across the country???
rolleyes.gif

I cannot believe the price difference. yikes!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Scuba...hmm that is outrageous!! I think someone else quoted online (Solomon?) for like $1k ...someone else recently posted. Business is business and I'm sure my jeweler would not mind selling and shipping the settings.

Now I am starting to question the pricing I saw (e.g. maybe it was white gold?)...but I do recall the other person who posted that they saw them or were quoted online somewhere for around $1k for each platinum ring. That is more expensive than the $775 I saw at the jewelers...but $1700? NO WAY!

Anyway if you want to get in touch with our jeweler, his name is Jeff Garrett from Garrett Jewelers in Aptos, CA. You can get his phone, address on www.smartpages.com. If you talk to him, you can tell him that you talked to me and that I was in there last month for my pendant and saw these AJ rings that I really liked, that should tickle a memory with him because I tried them on and compared them to my ring. Good luck!
1.gif

ScubaDucky

Rough_Rock
Thanks.. I will investigate tomorrow and report back. I saw the ring on SolomonBrothers and it was listed for 990 in platinum. 1770 is ridiculous considering that's about what precision set would charge for .75 ctw eternity band, channel set.
nono.gif

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
ScubaDucky, I can't wait to hear what you find out!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes I also found it today on Perlman Brothers for $1100. So the $775 doesn't sound so far fetched with Jeff...and if he really is selling it for that, I would hands down buy it from him and have him ship it to you or the diamond manufacturer!
2.gif
$200-300 is a good amount of money to save!

ScubaDucky

Rough_Rock
Ok, Jeff said that the one Mara tried on in the store is 18kWG ($775 retail). The retail price for the same ring in platinum is $1,299. Hope this helps!
1.gif

Also, my boyfriend said that once he mentioned "Mara," Jeff's tone completely changed for the better.. Mara, he must really like you...
1.gif
2.gif
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Scuba...wow that makes more sense...good to know also for those considering a lower-cost WG alternative in a cool design, not all designers have WG settings vs platinum. The price difference is significant! So that definitely makes the Solomon Brothers price look better for platinum at $990!
1.gif
Also I believe SB negotiates on pricing as when I emailed them about the Michael B setting I wanted last year, they shaved off $300 on the price. Very competitive. So you may even be able to get it for around $800 or so. Worth a try even!
1.gif

Jeff and his wife are great people. A little set in the 'old-ways' of diamond purchasing, I bought them an IdealScope and they don't even use it! But they are really good at heart. Some gorgeous pieces of jewelry in their little store too. They cater to a somewhat upscale clientele where they are located in Aptos, alot of older people with $$ to spend who don't really care about the #'s but rather how a stone looks. So they do well. My girlfriend (MOH) grew up around them and worked in their stores for about 5 years when she was a teenager, and that is how we were referred to them. Though now that we have Pricescope, I don't know that we'll be purchasing many more diamonds through them....but they do have some lovely settings and designer jewelry!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
*bump*

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results