shape
carat
color
clarity

a heart broken experience with Blue Nile, please help

kittycat1988

Rough_Rock
We have/had the same size increase too, a 5.75 to a 7.5. Eventually, my finger size shrunk a bit, but only to a 6.75 or 7. So I think my 'new' size is here to stay. :???: However, give it time. Yours could go back, you just never know!

everyone told me to get bigger shoes but instead it's my hands that grew bigger. How pregnancy affects the female body is so mysterious.

kittycat1988

Rough_Rock
i love the idea of wearing it around your neck on a chain - keeps it close to your heart :kiss2:
maybe your husband will buy you a lovelly eternity band that can sit in its place in the meantime and then compliment it when your finger size settles down and you can get it sized to fit
or why not get it sized for your pinky, because i totally get the sentimental aspect
i actually see lots of ladies wearing their beaitiful ER and wedding bands on their pinky - who knows why ? but it works for them

congratulations on the baby and good luck on desiding on what to do about your ring

Thank you :) That's sweet of you. I think it's time for me to take a break from this situation and just focus on my baby.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny you mentioned diamond by the yard. My coworker went through a similar situation with Tiffany, they actually did an even exchange for her. That's why I thought BN would do the same. I guess you pay more for a different policy.

Your coworker is very lucky. As far as I know that isn’t not Tiffany’s policy. If it were I think that would drive a lot more business to them. Can you all imagine? Guarantee of a lifetime of ring wearability. Gain or lose weight? No problem. Come on in and and we’ll swap it out for new size that fits.

I mean glad you’re thinking of alternatives. You can have a local jeweler use the melee and add some to construct a new eternity ring for you. However it is not logical or reasonable to expect a jewelry company, or any merchant to guarantee you a lifetime of fit for whatever you’re buying, no matter how much you’re paying them.

Anyway there is a good chance you will fit your ring again. A friend of mine dropped her weight after she stopped nursing. Good luck.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i get 2 free sizings a year from my mall jewler with the extra something or other i purchased with the ring -
sometimes i think it was an unnecessary expense but they charge $100 for a resize so it pays for itself if i want to wear my rings year round

kittycat1988

Rough_Rock
Your coworker is very lucky. As far as I know that isn’t not Tiffany’s policy. If it were I think that would drive a lot more business to them. Can you all imagine? Guarantee of a lifetime of ring wearability. Gain or lose weight? No problem. Come on in and and we’ll swap it out for new size that fits.

I mean glad you’re thinking of alternatives. You can have a local jeweler use the melee and add some to construct a new eternity ring for you. However it is not logical or reasonable to expect a jewelry company, or any merchant to guarantee you a lifetime of fit for whatever you’re buying, no matter how much you’re paying them.

Anyway there is a good chance you will fit your ring again. A friend of mine dropped her weight after she stopped nursing. Good luck.

Reasonable or not, at the end of the day, they found a way to offer a solution.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

As you yourself observed, you are paying a premium for the possibility of this sort of flexibility. As @LLJsmom said - this is not Tiffany policy. Your friend either got lucky or has a good relationship with her SA.

Blue Nile doesn’t have those margins to play with.

I realize I’m not telling you what you want to hear. But what you want to hear - that BN isn’t doing right by you - really is unreasonable and unfair. My advice dittos previous posters - don’t do anything right now: Your ring size may well stabilize downward. If you want something right now, a cost-conscious solution is to buy a comfort-fit plain band - pink gold would be sweetly symbolic if you’re having a girl, maybe green gold for a boy. A new piece to commemorate this experience.

Last edited:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i get 2 free sizings a year from my mall jewler with the extra something or other i purchased with the ring -
sometimes i think it was an unnecessary expense but they charge $100 for a resize so it pays for itself if i want to wear my rings year round

I’d just caution you to be careful having rings frequently resized, as any bending/stretching/cutting etc. will weaken the ring and could create more problems than it’s worth. I have about a 3/4 to full size shift in ring size between winter and summer months, so I have certain rings sized for winter wear, and others for summer wear, and if I want to wear one that is looser (for summer) in the winter, I just stack it to ensure it stays on.

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
I’d be happy to be getting some new bling! And id keep your original wedding ring to wear or repurpose on a necklace, or if your size goes down again. 2k is 2k but I wouldn’t look at it as a waste of money at all. It’s your wedding ring after all.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’d just caution you to be careful having rings frequently resized, as any bending/stretching/cutting etc. will weaken the ring and could create more problems than it’s worth. I have about a 3/4 to full size shift in ring size between winter and summer months, so I have certain rings sized for winter wear, and others for summer wear, and if I want to wear one that is looser (for summer) in the winter, I just stack it to ensure it stays on.
yes thank you
im learning so much here
im definatly going to cut back on the resizing and just be seasonal, especially with the ones with stones set around the band
it just gets so bloody hot here in the summer my fingers look like fat little sussages

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I resized my wife's ering and wedding band (50 percent pave) from a J to an H1/4 (about the same you are trying to change). It certainly thinned the band at the bottom and put the ring out of round as to not compromise the pave section, but two years on it's holding well. It's a risk I was willing to take and was fully explained to me at the time. It took several attempts to find a bench willing to do it.

With pregnancy and your finger size possibly fluctuating, I'd hold on to see what happens.

I cannot expect BN to take responsibility for a 2 size pave change as more often than not, you will lose the diamonds and if they agreed to change it, then they have to stand by their work.

Good luck.

kittycat1988

Rough_Rock
As you yourself observed, you are paying a premium for the possibility of this sort of flexibility. As @LLJsmom said - this is not Tiffany policy. Your friend either got lucky or has a good relationship with her SA.

Blue Nile doesn’t have those margins to play with.

I realize I’m not telling you what you want to hear. But what you want to hear - that BN isn’t doing right by you - really is unreasonable and unfair. My advice dittos previous posters - don’t do anything right now: Your ring size may well stabilize downward. If you want something right now, a cost-conscious solution is to buy a comfort-fit plain band - pink gold would be sweetly symbolic if you’re having a girl, maybe green gold for a boy. A new piece to commemorate this experience.

I came to this forum to gain a better understanding of the jewelry world. To me, what's reasonable and fair depends on how much a company wants to build a long term relationship with a client. After this experience, I have gained a new insight on the purpose of paying a premium. It all evens out at the end.

To address you previous comment "how, exactly, is getting a brand new ring, or returning your current ring for credit toward a new piece, not destroying any sentimental value? " I didn't want a brand new ring or a new piece. I wanted to use it as a credit to get the same band in size 7.5. My set is still the same, just bigger ring size.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I came to this forum to gain a better understanding of the jewelry world. To me, what's reasonable and fair depends on how much a company wants to build a long term relationship with a client. After this experience, I have gained a new insight on the purpose of paying a premium. It all evens out at the end.

I'm not sure your insight is accurate based on the experience of one coworker and your own personal experience. Search the forums, there are decades of threads with both positive and negative experiences with premium stores like Tiffanys and more budget friendly options. Those threads will have input from more experienced consumers (or prosumers) who would either encourage or discourage the original poster.

What's reasonable and fair is extremely subjective and often can be intangible especially in a field you are not familiar with. The sensible thing to do is to quickly calibrate your expectations with more experienced consumers who have no bias looking at the situation.

Ignoring overwhelming constructive insight will only lead to further disappointment in the future.

I've been there and it's a shock when the response is not aligned to what you thought it would be.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I came to this forum to gain a better understanding of the jewelry world. To me, what's reasonable and fair depends on how much a company wants to build a long term relationship with a client.

Perhaps whether a company wants to build a long term relationship with a client is dependent on the reasonableness and fairness of said client.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

To address you previous comment "how, exactly, is getting a brand new ring, or returning your current ring for credit toward a new piece, not destroying any sentimental value? " I didn't want a brand new ring or a new piece. I wanted to use it as a credit to get the same band in size 7.5. My set is still the same, just bigger ring size.

It sounds like you’re saying “what’s reasonable and fair depends on how much a company wants to kiss my/a customer’s backside”. :???: That doesn’t seem reasonable nor fair to me.

Your second comment doesn’t make sense. If you get a new band in the right size, even if it’s the exact same style, it’s still not the original band (that has the ‘sentimental’ value attached). If you’re not asking BN for a new band, what exactly are you asking them to give you credit for? :confused:

Last edited:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
To my mind, having a ring made is like having a suit made: it isn’t still worth full price after two years of wear, but reasonable alterations can be made as time goes on. If the tailor says they can only size up from a 5 to a 6, and any higher size would mean the entire suit needs to be remade, that seems reasonable.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol-2: If reason does not factor into your consideration, I respectfully bow out of this discussion. I really just want to caution you about your expectations going forward or you may have many more experiences of having your “heart broken” in the future when it really does not need to be. Please consider what @gm89uk posted.

Last edited:

Saphyrose

Rough_Rock
If you want to have your old ring only 2 sizes up, then that would mean you still want your diamonds? So the stonesetter needs to take the right size and take out the diamonds. Take your old ring and take out your old ones to put them in the new metal. Then polish your old ring before resetting the new diamonds and still they can’t use it as a new piece. It’s quite a big job to do with pavé settings.

And all that work for free?

I can also understand that you are sad about the situation and I will stand with the choir that says wait and see what happen. I have gained and loss 20kg on 5 years. I went up 1,5 in size. Now I’m not down where i started but I have lost at least 1 size and thats due to lifestyle change.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure you are fully understanding what we are trying to tell you. The experience that your friend had isn't Tiffany policy, so it's not something you should expect.

Having unreasonable expectations won't help you in the end, and will just lead to more dissapointment.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure you are fully understanding what we are trying to tell you. The experience that your friend had isn't Tiffany policy, so it's not something you should expect.

Having unreasonable expectations won't help you in the end, and will just lead to more dissapointment.

Even if it was Tiffany’s policy to kiss customers’ butts, OP didn’t buy from them, so expecting the same level of smooch-service from BN as Tiffany is plain ridiculous. Apples and oranges ...

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Plenty of women here have Tiffany, Cartier, V&A so to be honest, I’m personally not relying on the story about your friend. As stated by others, that is NOT Tiffany’s policy. (Unless she upgraded/spent more money)

Last edited:

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
@kittycat1988 I'd definitely go easy on yourself about the finger size change and wait it out a little bit longer. It sounds like your baby is quite young. If you are breastfeeding your hormones are causing fluid retention and all manner of other fun things to happen to your body. 9 months on, 9 months (sometimes more!) off!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you sure that you understood your coworker's situation correctly? That Tiffany & Co unset her diamond and reset it into a brand new setting of the exact same design for free to her? That's incredibly unusual. I could see them maybe resizing for free or replacing the setting at a discount, but not providing a whole new mounting, including unsetting and resetting her diamond, for free.

For you, the sentimental value appears to be in having the same design rather than the actual ring your husband put on your finger on the day you wed. That's...unusual, but to each their own. Since that's the case, what about looking for your ring on a second-hand site like eBay? If you both buy your new ring there and sell your new ring there you might not lose much money. Though, to be honest, I'd keep your original ring. Your fingers may go back down in size - I think most of my friend's fingers have at some point. It'd be terrible to sell your actual wedding ring just to realize that your fingers have shrunk again.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Plenty of women here have Tiffany, Cartier, V&A so to be honest, I’m personally not relying on the story about your friend. As stated by others, that is NOT Tiffany’s policy. (Unless she upgraded/spent more money)

Yes, Tiffany said that I could pay more money and trade my Tiffany Fancy Yellow cushion for a more expensive one, but they never told me that they would make a larger ring for me for free if my fingers increased in size.
I think that OP is being unreasonable expecting BN to provide a new pave ring.

mk206

Rough_Rock
Premium
Yes, Tiffany said that I could pay more money and trade my Tiffany Fancy Yellow cushion for a more expensive one, but they never told me that they would make a larger ring for me for free if my fingers increased in size.
I think that OP is being unreasonable expecting BN to provide a new pave ring.

@cflutist not to thread-jack but I’m just curious when they told you this? I have the same style T&Co. yellow cushion as you, and wondering if I could trade it in there (for more money of course). Years ago they told me no, but maybe that’s changed by now? Thanks for your help!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@cflutist not to thread-jack but I’m just curious when they told you this? I have the same style T&Co. yellow cushion as you, and wondering if I could trade it in there (for more money of course). Years ago they told me no, but maybe that’s changed by now? Thanks for your help!

This was in March 2014 at the Carmel CA store. I think that they considered it an ering even though I wore it as a RHR?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

OP be gentle and patient with yourself. You are giving yourself unnecessary stress associated with guilt. Take care--things will work out....

cheers--Sharon

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I can't even talk about this without crying...

3 years ago, I bought my wedding band from Blue Nile. At the time, BN's representative told us it is a re-sizable style (pavé diamond, half way across) and if they can't resize it, they can offer other options.

Fast forward to this year, my ring size grew from 5.75 to 7.5 due to pregnancy. It is a big jump and Blue Nile said they can only resize it to 6.5. Well... that's not going to work. What are my other options? They told me to BUY A NEW RING. They absolutely do not care about the sentimental value of a wedding band. The BN representative I spoke to over the phone compared it to a pair of jeans. If you outgrow it, get a new one.

The most ironic thing is, my ring is available on their website in the size I need. But they refused an even exchange. They also refused to turn it into a credit so I can use it toward my next purchase.

thoughts? is this a common practice among jewelers? I feel like I just tossed $2000 down the drain...not sure what to do about it

I'm really sorry that you're experiencing this type of difficulty with something as sentimental as your wedding band.
The advice you are receiving is top notch. Everyone on here is incredible and will help you problem solve and find a solution for you. Good luck, and hopefully one of the lovely members of PS will inspire a solution for you!

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Buy yourself a beautiful diamond by the yard chain and wear your ring around your neck and see if your fingers re-size in time. Mine have with each child and at some point it all levels out. If they do, now you'll have the ring, and the necklace that got you through all of this frustration.

This reminds me of the Damiani necklace I almost bought....almost! 20022210.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does the pave go all the way around or only half the way around? David Klass might and I say might be able to add more metal and expand the bottom half of the ring if it only goes part of the way around, if it goes all the way around resizing it that much will impact the structural integrity of the ring which is not what you want.

Wait until your ring size settles down, sell the ring on Loupetroop or on DiamondBistro, or Ebay or any one of the other places they have rings for sale and use the money to buy one that does fit. I've broken diamonds, broken and chipped gemstones worth a lot of money, ruined and grown out of expensive rings......We have all been there, that's how life sometimes is.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your finger is highly likely to go back to normal. If you’re breastfeeding, wait until 3 months after you stop. If you’re not, wait until q
12 months postpartum. These changes aren’t usually permanent.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results