shape
carat
color
clarity

A Green Diamond with uncertain color origin

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
kenny|1297446404|2849376 said:
unless of course GIA's policy is that ONLY greens submitted as rough and resubmitted throughout the cutting process can get the natural color origin grade.
[Does anyone know with certainty that this is the case?]

Here is a natural green I sent in. It's not vivid or fancy, but it did get natural light green without the rough beind seen.

scan0007.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's very interesting because I was absolutely certain that GIA wouldn't grade something as natural green unless they had seen the rough.

Kenny - you're right, the word EVER should perhaps be amended to "until technology is able to cope with the demands of separating natural/man induced irradiation".

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds|1297454759|2849496 said:
That's very interesting because I was absolutely certain that GIA wouldn't grade something as natural green unless they had seen the rough.

Kenny - you're right, the word EVER should perhaps be amended to "until technology is able to cope with the demands of separating natural/man induced irradiation".

GIA can already do that, just not with every green diamond.
Some stones stump them, and get the undetermined report in the OP.
So we might amend it even further . . .

"until technology is able to cope with the demands of separating natural/man induced irradiation in every instance".

I read somewhere that GIA looks closely at the radiation stains near, but not on, the skin.
There must be some difference in the staining that results from radiation that lasted millions of years and that from a relatively short time.

I'm also glad to hear GIA does not have to see the rough because I have this silly romantic notion of hoping my green OEC in my avatar was cut a long time ago.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results