shape
carat
color
clarity

A Feather Question

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just hypothesising, though maybe it’s irresponsible of me since there’s no way to prove it - is it possible the stone sustained a bit of damage between getting the report and you getting it in hand; or after you received it?

I’m no expert - far from it, but the pic you posted seems a bit extreme for a VS2.

I’m only asking because I have done this accidentally where I bought a pair of earrings with some small stones in it, which I louped to make sure they were not chipped, cracked etc. And then after I did that I put them down and accidentally knocked one over against something. I didn’t think it was a hard knock, but one of the stones did end up nicked. It’s possible I could’ve missed the nick when I louped it the first time, but I think it’s more likely I ended up chipping it accidentally despite it being a one in a million type of accident. That’s when I realised that diamonds, though incredibly hard and able to withstand tons of pressure etc, can be damaged in a fairly low-stakes accident if you’re unlucky :doh:

Last edited:

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Just hypothesising, though maybe it’s irresponsible of me since there’s no way to prove it - is it possible the stone sustained a bit of damage between getting the report and you getting it in hand; or after you received it?

I’m no expert - far from it, but the pic you posted seems a bit extreme for a VS2.

I unpacked it and placed it carefully into a spring ring to look for a laser inscription. Diamonds are hard and in no way they would get damaged by this action. I do not appreciate the assumption. The stone came this way! What company did to it after they received it from AGS and before they shipped it to me is unknown.

Last edited:
I unpacked it and placed it carefully into a spring ring to look for a laser inscription. Diamonds are hard and in no way they would get damaged by this action. The stone came this way! What company did to it after they received it from AGS is unknown.

It does sound like the damage couldn’t have been caused by you. I edited my above post with a description of how I inadvertently damaged a (luckily very small) stone. But maybe it could’ve been caused by the company. I guess there’s no way to know. I don’t want to make that accusation because I would expect that diamond companies are very very careful with stones.

ETA - when you received it, was it packed well and well cushioned?

Further - if this is something that concerns you, are you able to return or upgrade without too much additional cost to a different stone?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
My 2c
When is a cavity not a cavity?
When GIA/AGS calls it a feather because a feather leads off from it.

Edit: when a plot looks to clean for the grade that is the time to ask questions, not celebrate.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hold your horses.
The photo from the side is meaningless.
Grading is done 80% from the top.
That mark is presumably very small from the top

So we know that visibility is assessed from the top - would something like this, that can potentially be felt, also be strictly assessed from the top? Does it depend on stone size and/or rarity?

For the record there are plenty of fish in the RB sea, I’d just pass on this stone and move on. But for the purposes of academic conversation.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, I am attaching the picture. It is the circled feather that can be felt. The diamond was owned prior for 3-5 years. Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 12.38.19 PM.png
Are there any comments and can you post the rest of the plot? I am very curious.

Venti25

Shiny_Rock
I am loving this discussion thread. Definitely an academic and I for one am learning quite a bit.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Are there any comments and can you post the rest of the plot? I am very curious.

@Karl_K here you go. There are no other plots, just what I mentioned previously. Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 9.30.52 PM.png

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Karl_K here you go. There are no other plots, just what I mentioned previously. Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 9.30.52 PM.png
Clean table, clean stars and clean crown facets and a few "small" feathers?
Just looking at the plot why is it a vs2?
If that was the entire story then someone at the lab having a bad day that day or is there something that a plot can not show that could have made it a vs2 not vs1?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Clean table, clean stars and clean crown facets and a few "small" feathers?
Just looking at the plot why is it a vs2?
If that was the entire story then someone at the lab having a bad day that day or is there something that a plot can not show that could have made it a vs2 not vs1?

GIA and hence AGS as they are all GIA trained are extremely harsh on cracks (just checking if David is still following).

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
In this discussion I mentioned how I like to set a stone with a crack on the girdle. Done this way the diamond will be safe and you will have really nice diamond as clean as a whistle!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree with the holding of horses aspect.
Grading is done 80% from the top.
That mark is presumably very small from the top
Um… no.
In my experience the visibility or placement of imperfections had zero impact on the clarity grade. Unlike color, clarity grading is NOT done through the table exclusively or even preferentially.
That’s why we have seen eye clean I1 diamonds and VS stones with eye visible imperfections. It’s about the presence of imperfection, not it’s visibility.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results