shape
carat
color
clarity

"A Cut Above" ideal scope images - opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Okay, pq, thanks. I've got the idea about tweaking the girdle so no light escapes. I guess I was thinking that Classic did NOT have the tweaked girdle and New Line DID have the tweaked girdle.

What is the difference between New Line and Classic?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
PQ...do New Lines not all have tweaked girdles? Thought they did? Ifthey don't all have tweaked girdles..what are the differences then between the two? Minor facets? I recall this being explained somewhere in the past but don't recall what.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Now I need to get outa the gene pool!! HeeHee!!

My "old" New Line wasn't tweaked. My new one is. I don't know if Brian is still cutting both or not. I didn't ask.

I don't know which facets are tweaked! I've been reading the threads by Rhino, and Garry, and Serg, and trying to follow it all. And I'm LOST!!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm interesting! Maybe Lesley can clarify when she returns from NYC...or Brian if he chimes in.
1.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Patty,

The other PS regulars have done a great job in explaining to you some of the differences, I just wanted to add this diagram illustration for you. Both are ACA stones. The 2 different styles your inquiring about...

Leakage around the girdle in the tweaked stone also provides more contast which can add to the perceived size vs. stones which are not tweaked and of lesser cut quality..
wavey.gif

finalacajosh.jpg

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much, Josh. This is all very interesting to me!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Josh you are the best.

One quick note on trading off scint with a New Line. Greg's stone has AMAZING scintillation. In fact I see that seemingly MORE than I see brilliance or fire IMO.

One other thing that Greg noted is that the diamond almost doesn't look real, it looks so good. Hmm..

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 2/17/2004 12:32:12 PM Mara wrote:

Thanks Josh you are the best.

One other thing that Greg noted is that the diamond almost doesn't look real, it looks so good. Hmm..
----------------

I'd second Greg on that comment, Mara!
3.gif

Thanks, Josh, for posting that illustration. You sent that to me before I bought. I completely forgot I even had the explanation saved on my computer all along!
14.gif
9.gif

2Bmarried

Rough_Rock
Well, I finally decided on a diamond today. I spoke with Chris DiCamillo at David Atlas' shop & we went over the two stones that I had sent to them. Both stones matched up very well with their respective AGS certs, as would be expected. Both stones had no naked-eye visible inclusions, which was a necessity to me and already confirmed by Brian at Whiteflash on their stone. I had already seen the other stone at my local jeweler and couldn't see anything, but I wanted an unbiased and expertly trained eye to verify it as well.

Anyhow, both stones were, per Chris, in a dead heat as far as price, performance, Ideal Scope images, AGA 1A cut, SI1 clarity (could possibly pass for VS2), good H&A images, etc. Chris wouldn't dare to make a choice between the two, even though he knows I wanted him to give me his opinion of favoring one over the other. They were that close!

In the end, I ended up going with the one from the local jeweler. Whiteflash has one heck of a diamond selection, and I won't take anything away from them or their staff. Denise and Brian were great to work with! However, with all things considered, the local store offered 12 months same as cash, a free "Tiffany" solitaire ring & mounting (which would have been $180 through Whiteflash) that my girlfriend will be able to upgrade from, if she so desires. They also offered the same lifetime trade-up policy as Whiteflash, as well as a 30 day money back guarantee - though at this point I have no need for that, after all this evaluation! They will also give me 40% off any other engagement ring she might like as well as wedding bands, and neither of us are into "custom" settings, so that works out well. Plus they give a lifetime warranty on the ring and setting and will do the rhodium re-plating on the white gold ring whenever necessary, at no charge. Hey, if I had to have some stuff that would force me to make a decision if the diamonds were truly equals, it had to come down to something - so there it is!!

I will have the diamond in hand tomorrow and will post pics of it as soon as I can - probably some time tomorrow afternoon, EST. It will have to be then, since it will surely be on my soon-to-be fiancee's finger in the evening.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! As much as I believe in and buy from the internet vendors, I like to see a local store doing the right things to stay competitive. It's good to support local merchants. Especially when they won the business outright, not out of fear of the internet or some such thing...

as we like to say...it's picture time!
9.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Congratulations on your choice..I can't wait to see pictures...
wavey.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
You were very fortunate, 2B, to find a saavy local jeweler. Your jeweler worked with you instead of bashing your research or internet diamonds. You got a fair offer for future service from them as well. Congrats and do post pics when you get the ring!
1.gif

2Bmarried

Rough_Rock
Thanks, everybody, for all your assistance and support in helping me make a great, informed purchase. Things have been busy here lately, but she DID say yes on the 18th, so I am posting a few pics of the diamond. Too bad I can't get my digital camera (Fuji FinePix A303) to take a decent macro picture!!
sad.gif
Regardless, the night went well, I got it all on video and we'll never forget it!

If anyone has any good pointers on taking pictures of diamonds, please enlighten me! Thanks!

.72 AGS IDeal_1.jpg

2Bmarried

Rough_Rock
Another pic.....

.72 AGS Ideal_2.jpg

2Bmarried

Rough_Rock
Another try.....

.72 AGS Ideal_3.jpg

2Bmarried

Rough_Rock
Finally a decent (though not at all accentuating the E color) close-up after using the loupe, setting to macro, staying patient, adjusting the white balance, etc. But I know I can do better. However, she likes to keep the ring on her finger, so.......oh, well! HAHA

I do like how it shows the clean arrows!

DSCF038.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results