shape
carat
color
clarity

How are you coping with isolation?

MissCygne

Rough_Rock
Dear Community, as a cancer survivor who has undergone chemotherapy and extensive radiation treatments, I am immunocompromised. I am self-isolating from today.
As much as for my own protection, I am sincerely hoping that self-isolating will contribute to helping to “flatten the curve” of infection not only today, but also into the future.
I would deeply appreciate your thoughts and suggestions, that may help myself and others to make what could be long term isolation, more bearable.
I have found this community to be kind and thoughtful, so feel safe enough to share my own experience.
I would value and appreciate your own experiences with isolation due to COVID19, and I hope that this thread will continue in the months to come.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Preparing to home school during the multiple weeks ahead.

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@MissCygne What a fantastic idea! Will jump on later with some good book recommendations!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are not at that stage in the UK yet unless you show symptoms, but we're planning on books, Netflix, baking, card & board games. Also Yoga & being in my garden, even if it's just pottering around weeding & sorting out clothes for charity shops. I know others who have bought supplies for small DIY & decorating projects too.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I smashed up my foot about 5 years ago now and had to do 6 months NWB. For the first two weeks I was barely making it to the bathroom let alone out of the house! Being NWB made going out difficult so I mostly stayed home.
So I did a lot of reading. I did crochet. I played games on my iPad, I spent time playing some of my musical instruments. I did colouring in, I did jigsaws. I joined on line Forums, watched weird YouTube videos (there is some interesting stuff out there). I shopped online (oops).
Staying home for a few weeks isnt hard. You have all your own “creature comforts”.There is telephones and email to keep in contact with family and friends. With kids it’s harder, they need to be more physically active. I’d be chilling out and letting them run around the house or yard. No need to tidy up too much, no ones coming over ha ha! I’d hide stuff in the house to them to find, play board games, play cards.
Life goes on, maybe we’ll appreciate stuff more afterwards.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Being an extreme introvert I love being alone.

My question is, how do people cope with being around people?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doing my elliptical, Pilates, long walks (as long as we remain healthy), playing with our cats, hanging out with my dh listening to music, watching movies, playing card games, just talking. And of course hanging out on PS. An activity I enjoy daily. And of course there's always chatting with my friends via phone. Never underestimate the power of human contact via phone. We need connections to get us through challenging times. IMO.

In 2014 I broke both my tibia and fibula (my trauma surgeon at HSS said one of the worst breaks he's ever seen) and I was housebound for practically 8 months. I got through it. One day at a time. We will get through this. Let yourself feel however you are feeling and then just remember don't look too far ahead. Take it one day, one hour (when necessary) at a time and when we break it up like that it becomes more manageable.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I broke the bones in my lower back, fractured hips and sternum in early Dec. I was homebound for 3 full months, only getting out of the house for doctor's appointments and 3rd month for physical therapy. I was just cleared to go back to work but work from home and only go in the office once a week at first, on 3/2. Then this happened ;(

What didn't help being stuck at home was that my husband also works from home, I live with MIL who rarely gets out of the house, and we have 2 young boys. So I was literally spending 24/7 with everyone and it was starting to wear me down.

So I'm not looking forward to the next few weeks/months. I'll also have to figure out how to keep the kids entertained so they don't drive each other and everyone else crazy, and spending too much time together always cause tension between my husband and I. I'm an introvert who needs solo time to recharge which is hard to do with house full of people.

Sorry for the rambling. Just feeling anxious I guess. We did go out to the park today so kids can ride their bikes in the good weather and will probably continue to do that. Tomorrow I plan on finally organizing our pantry which is a hot mess. Should ease my anxiety a little seeing all the extra supplies and food I've bought to get through this. LOL!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I work at home and people are used to seeing me and my dog around the neighborhood a lot!! I will continue per usual. I've got some spring cleaning projects that will also help pass that time as well, any spare time I have will be used doing that.

I have a full gym here, kept my stuff when I moved from Massachusetts, and will continue using it.

For us very little will change.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven’t had this experience but I do love being alone so not worried about that aspect! I’m grateful for having a little balcony so I can sit outside and get fresh air - think being housebound INSIDE constantly would drive me crazy....

bespokecarmel

Shiny_Rock
Learn something new online! Begin a new language, watch cooking shows, study for a realtors license! I learned to knit some years ago through YouTube videos; whatever your interest, it’s available online.
Warm thoughts for you...

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes!

Painful, isn’t it =)2

But I would feel a lot better if I could buy some bling.
Guess I’ll just go listen to Queen and scrub the floor.

Or Love Shack! C798E2C6-FC8D-47DC-9000-ED162DBC372C.gif

MissCygne

Rough_Rock
I broke the bones in my lower back, fractured hips and sternum in early Dec. I was homebound for 3 full months, only getting out of the house for doctor's appointments and 3rd month for physical therapy. I was just cleared to go back to work but work from home and only go in the office once a week at first, on 3/2. Then this happened ;(

What didn't help being stuck at home was that my husband also works from home, I live with MIL who rarely gets out of the house, and we have 2 young boys. So I was literally spending 24/7 with everyone and it was starting to wear me down.

So I'm not looking forward to the next few weeks/months. I'll also have to figure out how to keep the kids entertained so they don't drive each other and everyone else crazy, and spending too much time together always cause tension between my husband and I. I'm an introvert who needs solo time to recharge which is hard to do with house full of people.

Sorry for the rambling. Just feeling anxious I guess. We did go out to the park today so kids can ride their bikes in the good weather and will probably continue to do that. Tomorrow I plan on finally organizing our pantry which is a hot mess. Should ease my anxiety a little seeing all the extra supplies and food I've bought to get through this. LOL!

Thank you for your post BabyBlue033. I hope this thread will continue to be a safe place where we can share our blessed moments, our thoughts, and our fears and anxieties.
My MDs, Naturopaths, and other health care providers, are always speaking of the profound benefits (physical and psychological!) of a strong support system.
It is my sincere hope that we can be a support for any who may need it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
hello @MissCygne
i think what your doing is a really good idea
my other half's daughter is having cancer treatment and its a worry

at our house the two if us have kind of been self isolating for almost the past year
Gary developed eye problems from sakadosis (not sure how to spell that)
and was pretty much blind for a few months so as i can't drive we were pretty much housebound
i was only surposed to be taking a few months break from the workforce but when he got sick i couldn't even comprehend leaving him alone
its hard because we had just moved to a new town, 2 hours from family (grandkids hate car rides ???)
and the plan was i would make us friends at work
we have made one friend the entire 2 years we have been here (for the first year i boarded in the village i worked in hoping to get a work transfer) we have made one friend - a big hungry stray tom cat who is now a lap cat much to the disgust of our girl cat

anyeay we have more good days than bad now he is getting better
but somedays are lonely and male company would be good for him
i potter around in the garden and watch the flowers grow and listen to the birds but its too bright outside most of the time for him but i know he'd feel better getting some fresh air
sometimes we go weeks without seeing anyone except the truck driver that delivers the groceries

im glad i found this place and i have my Bruce Springsteen online community also

im not overly social, but my sister for instance would really suffer in this kind of social isolation
i really need to find a job and make some friends
meanwhile we all have each other here

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hello @MissCygne
i think what your doing is a really good idea
my other half's daughter is having cancer treatment and its a worry

at our house the two if us have kind of been self isolating for almost the past year
Gary developed eye problems from sakadosis (not sure how to spell that)
and was pretty much blind for a few months so as i can't drive we were pretty much housebound
i was only surposed to be taking a few months break from the workforce but when he got sick i couldn't even comprehend leaving him alone
its hard because we had just moved to a new town, 2 hours from family (grandkids hate car rides ???)
and the plan was i would make us friends at work
we have made one friend the entire 2 years we have been here (for the first year i boarded in the village i worked in hoping to get a work transfer) we have made one friend - a big hungry stray tom cat who is now a lap cat much to the disgust of our girl cat

anyeay we have more good days than bad now he is getting better
but somedays are lonely and male company would be good for him
i potter around in the garden and watch the flowers grow and listen to the birds but its too bright outside most of the time for him but i know he'd feel better getting some fresh air
sometimes we go weeks without seeing anyone except the truck driver that delivers the groceries

im glad i found this place and i have my Bruce Springsteen online community also

im not overly social, but my sister for instance would really suffer in this kind of social isolation
i really need to find a job and make some friends
meanwhile we all have each other here

If you are starting with only one friend in a village, a big lap cat is the best! Despite what your other kitty may be telling you. : )
And yes, we do have each other here.
I am starting to go a little stir crazy, and I am a complete hermit usually! But on my own terms not imposed from the outside.
I self quarantined for two weeks when I arrived here so I wouldn’t pass along anything I picked up on my flight or at the airports. But now the isolation is going to continue for an unknown amount of time, so it feels different. However as long as the Internet works ( I can talk to you guys, and scroll through bling) everything will be OK! LOL

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

@Babyblue033 I am so sorry you fractured your hips and sternum and bones in your lower back. What a terrible accident. I am glad you are healed from it now and hope the next few months go smoothly. And yes to extra supplies! Remember you got through a really tough time and you are going to get through this challenging time too!

mom2dolls

Shiny_Rock
Kiddo is out of school for three weeks and my work closed with all required to work from home. I am hoping to have a job once this is all over. Our company is promotional products, so not a necessity at all.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's so eerie outside. I went into the backyard today to get some fresh air. It's March break (and schools are out indefinitely), and not a single kid is outside. I kind of like the peace and quiet, because I thrive on that, but can't quite imagine how parents of school age children must be coping these days.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't done a major cleaning and sorting of the master bedroom closet for a long time. Today I decided to do it. I have no bleeping idea where all the bleeping stuff came from. 6 bleeping hair straighteners; 4 bleeping things used to curl hair; 2 bleeping hair dryers; 7 bleeping comforter sets; 6 bleeping blankets and duvets; 100,000,000,000,000 bleeping pairs of shoes -- all of this stuff not touched for at least 5 years; various bleeping smaller things that I've touched for the past decade only to move them aside so make room for newer bleeping stuff.

The dust was 1/4 inch thick on everything on the top shelves. The dust mites had built a metropolis up there and in the dark lower corners complete with a light-rail transit system. I slaughtered them all -- an entire population wiped out with the few straggling survivors desperately clinging to the swiffer duster out in the garbage bin.

What can't be donated goes to the dump. I've made a resolution that all of that nice empty space in there will stay empty.

MissCygne

Rough_Rock
I haven't done a major cleaning and sorting of the master bedroom closet for a long time. Today I decided to do it. I have no bleeping idea where all the bleeping stuff came from. 6 bleeping hair straighteners; 4 bleeping things used to curl hair; 2 bleeping hair dryers; 7 bleeping comforter sets; 6 bleeping blankets and duvets; 100,000,000,000,000 bleeping pairs of shoes -- all of this stuff not touched for at least 5 years; various bleeping smaller things that I've touched for the past decade only to move them aside so make room for newer bleeping stuff.

The dust was 1/4 inch thick on everything on the top shelves. The dust mites had built a metropolis up there and in the dark lower corners complete with a light-rail transit system. I slaughtered them all -- an entire population wiped out with the few straggling survivors desperately clinging to the swiffer duster out in the garbage bin.

What can't be donated goes to the dump. I've made a resolution that all of that nice empty space in there will stay empty.

Hi Matara, are you familiar with KonMari? It sounds like you are doing it beautifully!

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I took the same approach, but with my pantry. Its become a dumping ground with stuff all over the floor so I can't even get to the inner shelves. I told myself I needed to clean it out to make room for all the extra supplies I bought, and after everything was reorganized, I kind of feel like I need more TP :bigsmile:

I stocked up on hand soap and cleaners, then found more plus dish soaps in the inner shelves. Score!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Matara, are you familiar with KonMari?

Yes but I've been doing these mega cleans long before she made it trendy. Problem is I find too many new things that bring me joy to replace the stuff that no longer brings me joy. I have to learn to curb my enthusiastic capitalist consumption.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just finished 15 hours of CPA self continuing education. I didn't even drink until I was DONE and had the certificate printed out.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just finished 15 hours of CPA self continuing education. I didn't even drink until I was DONE and had the certificate printed out.

LOLOL. I did some coursework for my Professional Practice as well! Good time to get things done.

Now onto the Veuve.:bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have six kids, so that isolation doesn't feel isolated... Quite the contrary, really.

And I've received the programs for homeschooling. So I ask myself when will I have some time OFF in all of this??

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have six kids, so that isolation doesn't feel isolated... Quite the contrary, really.

And I've received the programs for homeschooling. So I ask myself when will I have some time OFF in all of this??

Hang in there! You need a lovely NEST candle to help you relax!

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok
Cleaning out my closet, cooking and reading. Also yoga and Netflix. Walking the dogs. Denver is in 60’s today so beautiful day.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results